Jump to topic:

Civil War breaks out in France

smelisox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 9:27:34 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Civil war has broken out in France as members of the corrupt Trade Union are trying to seize power and circumvent democracy. They have injured 300 policemen, fatally injured another and even killed one, setting cars on fire and even setting fire to an oil depot.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 10:54:41 PM
I'd hardly call the current situation in France a "civil war"...
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
AnnaCzereda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 11:10:31 PM
At 5/25/2016 9:27:34 PM, smelisox wrote:
Civil war has broken out in France as members of the corrupt Trade Union are trying to seize power and circumvent democracy. They have injured 300 policemen, fatally injured another and even killed one, setting cars on fire and even setting fire to an oil depot.

I heard in the news that they protest against the new labor law that was imposed by the government in spite of large social protests. Now what you personally think of it depends on what side of the fence you are on. A civil war? Hardly. We will see who will give up first; the gov or the street.
He wished to turn his countenance from the smoldering rubble, but saw from amidst the embers that a few chaff would not burn away. To these, he stared into the eye of God sneering, and called them, 'Promethean.'
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 11:48:47 PM

I think that is called a riot, and based on reports from France, it sounds like the riots started after French police began beating striking workers and tried to shut down the protests. In other words, it was a police riot.
smelisox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 11:18:15 AM
At 5/25/2016 11:48:47 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:

I think that is called a riot, and based on reports from France, it sounds like the riots started after French police began beating striking workers and tried to shut down the protests. In other words, it was a police riot.

No, the protesters started by gravely injuring 300 policemen. Then, they decided to try and set fire to an oil depot and also to destroy a nuclear power station. They're a threat that should be removed.
smelisox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 11:18:49 AM
At 5/25/2016 10:54:41 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Throwing a molotov cocktail in a policeman's face is war. Burning a fuel depot is war. Destroying the country by shutting down all it's fuel and nuclear power is war.
tornshoe92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 3:26:35 PM

Any situation in which the french are able to surrender, even to each other, is technically a war.
"Next time I see a little old lady going to church I am going kick her in the ovaries because she is personally responsible for this. Thanks Izbo." -C_N
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 4:32:55 PM
At 5/26/2016 3:26:35 PM, tornshoe92 wrote:

Any situation in which the french are able to surrender, even to each other, is technically a war.

It might be on the level of the Oregon standoff or something, but it is very far removed from being a full-fledged war. France wouldn't be plunged into a war over something like this. They're a highly developed nation with a transparent, accountable, and humanitarian government. Now, over in Spain there is an actual possibility of a war breaking out (though I admit it's unlikely).
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 4:36:06 PM
At 5/26/2016 4:32:55 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

It might be on the level of the Oregon standoff or something, but it is very far removed from being a full-fledged war. France wouldn't be plunged into a war over something like this. They're a highly developed nation with a transparent, accountable, and humanitarian government. Now, over in Spain there is an actual possibility of a war breaking out (though I admit it's unlikely).

It's just a police action against labor thugs.
tornshoe92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 5:08:36 PM

It was a joke...
"Next time I see a little old lady going to church I am going kick her in the ovaries because she is personally responsible for this. Thanks Izbo." -C_N
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 6:16:41 PM
At 5/26/2016 11:18:15 AM, smelisox wrote:
At 5/25/2016 11:48:47 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:

No, the protesters started by gravely injuring 300 policemen. Then, they decided to try and set fire to an oil depot and also to destroy a nuclear power station. They're a threat that should be removed.

Okay, that is a gross exaggeration and manipulation of the facts.
For starters, you make it sound like the french workers decided one day to go out and attack police officers. However, the protests have been going on for weeks now, and rioting only began when the police when ordered to enforce the state of emergency which bans public protests. The striking workers didn't take to happily to being forced to go home with billy clubs and tear gas, so they fought back. That is called a riot. Not a civil war.
Secondly, you say that they "set fire to an oil station" however there are no reports of that happening, and when you say oil station, I think you mean gas station. The gas station workers are on strike protesting labour reforms. And no one attempted to "destroy a nuclear power station", they just shut it down because the people who work there are on strike.

http://www.bbc.com...
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 6:19:11 PM
At 5/26/2016 4:36:06 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

It's just a police action against labor thugs.

Translation: Police violently suppressing striking workers
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 6:19:35 PM

good point
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 6:21:11 PM
At 5/25/2016 11:10:31 PM, AnnaCzereda wrote:

I heard in the news that they protest against the new labor law that was imposed by the government in spite of large social protests. Now what you personally think of it depends on what side of the fence you are on. A civil war? Hardly. We will see who will give up first; the gov or the street.

https://media.giphy.com...
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 6:25:10 PM
At 5/26/2016 11:18:49 AM, smelisox wrote:

Throwing a molotov cocktail in a policeman's face is war. Burning a fuel depot is war. Destroying the country by shutting down all it's fuel and nuclear power is war.

No, it's a riot. If they were shooting guns, that would be a battle, but not even a war. By your logic the Oregon standoff was a war.

http://www.theguardian.com...
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 6:46:55 PM

This is more like "civil disruption" than "civil war".
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 7:17:44 PM
At 5/26/2016 6:46:55 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

This is more like "civil disruption" than "civil war".

Exactly