Jump to topic:

Why do people care about the SJWs

Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 4:21:26 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
I don't get it. I see people complaining about them all the time on these forums like they're the scum of the earth causing all this trouble, but they've never caused any problems for me. I really don't care about SJWs; I hardly encounter them, and even when I do, their viewpoints are more of a curiosity than a problem. They don't get in my way; They're just nuts, but so what? I don't care about them really. What's with all the hate for them? Did they do something to you? I don't get it.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 4:27:45 AM
At 5/27/2016 4:21:26 AM, Death23 wrote:
I don't get it. I see people complaining about them all the time on these forums like they're the scum of the earth causing all this trouble, but they've never caused any problems for me. I really don't care about SJWs; I hardly encounter them, and even when I do, their viewpoints are more of a curiosity than a problem. They don't get in my way; They're just nuts, but so what? I don't care about them really. What's with all the hate for them? Did they do something to you? I don't get it.

Questions for you:

1. Do you know what an SJW is? If so, please describe with at least four sentences.

2. Do you live in the United States? If so, please indicate whether you are in college, or not in college. If you are not in college, please indicate whether you have attended any college other than a community college.

3. Do you know what #blacklivesmatter is? If so, please describe the extent of your exposure to #blacklivesmatter and its constituents.

4. Are you white? If you are not white, what is your race?
someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 4:30:39 AM

Because, every now and then, cultural totalitarians/wannabe neo-bolsheviks do get a degree of power... and that's bad.
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
Biodome
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 8:07:09 AM

The fact that a certain group of people doesn't hurt you personally, doesn't mean that they are not harmful. SJWs frequently assault conservative speakers, for instance, they argue for the abolition or severe restriction of one or more human rights, such as right to freedom of speech and expression.

While you may not see an inherent danger in SJWs right now, in certain places they already do have significant power. YWW suggested colleges, where SJWs like to run things according to their will. It's pretty obvious that they should be kept in check.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 9:34:42 AM
I'm not the OP, but I like answering questions anyways. I have minor sympathies for, not necessarily radical SJW types, but for their arguments pointing out racism, sexism etc. within our culture. Things like cultural appropriation, white washing, and internalized hatred are real in a certain sense. SJWs perhaps suffer from over embellishing the effects of these cultural phenomena, but to dismiss these phenomena as a matter of over sensitivity is just as heavy handed as the approach SJWs themselves take.

At 5/27/2016 4:27:45 AM, YYW wrote:

Questions for you:

1. Do you know what an SJW is? If so, please describe with at least four sentences.

It can have a few derogatory/ironic meanings. Social Justice is a pursuit to end racism, sexism and general oppression, ironically SWJs perpetuate these things especially against white males. The Warrior aspect notes how they tend to use violence/silencing/intimidation tactics ironically most effective social justice movements have been non-violent. Although MLK did in a sense use violence, marches and boycotts were very disruptive, a form of economic violence.

Obviously SWJ's don't see the irony and see themselves as fighting against cultural/institutional racism, sexism, homophobia etc. which has undeniably existed in the past and is generally assumed to occur to this day.

2. Do you live in the United States? If so, please indicate whether you are in college, or not in college. If you are not in college, please indicate whether you have attended any college other than a community college.

I live in the US, and have graduated from a 4 year university.

3. Do you know what #blacklivesmatter is? If so, please describe the extent of your exposure to #blacklivesmatter and its constituents.

BLM is a SJW movement that seeks to remind the US that black lives matter too. It is a reaction against perceived historical racism continuing in the modern age that treats blacks as unequal. Events like white police officers shooting young black men and other mysterious deaths by the hands of police, people who are suppose to protect them, spur the movement because they feel enough is enough. To paraphrase Tupac Shakur: 'You can only stand outside in the cold for so long, knocking on the door to be let in. Seeing how happy and warm the white people inside are. You can only be ignored so long, knocking on that door, until you have to bust that door down.'

I hope you can understand the greater metaphor and that Tupac is not literally advocating breaking into peoples homes. It could be said BLM is a boiling over of sorts against perceived historical racism that has prevented them from achieving equal economic/cultural status to whites in US society.

I'm white.
Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 4:07:37 PM
At 5/27/2016 8:07:09 AM, Biodome wrote:

The fact that a certain group of people doesn't hurt you personally, doesn't mean that they are not harmful. SJWs frequently assault conservative speakers, for instance, they argue for the abolition or severe restriction of one or more human rights, such as right to freedom of speech and expression.

I agree that they cause some harm. From what I've seen, what appears to be the most harmful thing SJWs have done is blocking major roads. This causes a large number of people (thousands) to lose a lot of their time. Though, this seems to be rare.

In any case, what I don't see is that they're a very big problem; The focus on SJWs doesn't appear warranted because the SJWs don't appear to be causing that many problems.

While you may not see an inherent danger in SJWs right now, in certain places they already do have significant power. YWW suggested colleges, where SJWs like to run things according to their will. It's pretty obvious that they should be kept in check.

It's not really clear to me what problems they're creating at colleges. I haven't been to university since graduation except to use the library from time to time. So, I don't know what's going on there. I've read YWW complain about them at the colleges. I think his complaint was that bunk was being taught. If bunk's being taught, then that's a problem. Though, it wasn't clear from what he was saying how pervasive the problem was, whether or not bunk actually was being taught, or why this species of bunk was uniquely problematic.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 4:50:51 PM

People like complaining and hating a group of people to blame problems on and make themselves feel better about themselves. We cannot target communists anymore, nor fascists. We can't target Jews for obvious reasons. So now we had to make a new enemy: the social justice warriors.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Biodome
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 5:12:45 PM
At 5/27/2016 4:07:37 PM, Death23 wrote:
It's not really clear to me what problems they're creating at colleges.

Have you heard about the recent DePaul university incident?

http://townhall.com...

And this is not an isolated case. These happen quite frequently - SJW protesters like to shut down events, block entrances or start screaming against speakers. Would you not consider that as a problem in colleges?
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 7:01:10 PM
At 5/27/2016 8:07:09 AM, Biodome wrote:

That is where you and YWW are wrong. In fact the issue at colleges is weak administration's not SJW's. After listening to Milo he happens to agree with my stance. The second problem is the over exaggeration. 4 or 5 people who protest an art exhibit on the grounds that dressing in a kimono is empiralistic are indeed crazy, but it is an extremely small part of those left of center. That example goes back to weak administration that capitulated.

The problem with capitulation actually is lead by private industry which has eliminated many seemingly benign behaviors such as a white man dressing as Bob Marley for Halloween because the threat of lawsuits and difficulty defending situations which can be argued as hostile to a protected class. This trend started in the 90's in private business.

The people protesting even in the safe room is not the problem. It is the system which does not have safeguards for requiring freedom of speech requirements of any institution that reciever federal dollars and maybe even arguably tax free status.
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 9:41:32 PM

TBH, the ones constantly complaining about "SJWs" and "Political Correctness" tend to be infinitely more annoying and obnoxious than SJWs themselves.
"Change your sig."
~YYW
jimtimmy10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 11:33:59 PM
At 5/27/2016 4:50:51 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

People like complaining and hating a group of people to blame problems on and make themselves feel better about themselves. We cannot target communists anymore, nor fascists. We can't target Jews for obvious reasons. So now we had to make a new enemy: the social justice warriors.

Communist and fascists are a pretty good comparison for social justice warriors. Pretty similar ideologies.
Danimal4NU
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 7:09:03 AM
At 5/27/2016 5:12:45 PM, Biodome wrote:

And this is not an isolated case. These happen quite frequently - SJW protesters like to shut down events, block entrances or start screaming against speakers. Would you not consider that as a problem in colleges?

What makes it especially sad is that DePaul made the organizers pay for extra security then forced the security to do nothing while protestors shut the event down. SJW's are not just tumblrites posting idiocy on the net. They are out in the real world crapping on free speech while just producing division and backlash rather than positive change.
Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 7:16:09 AM
At 5/27/2016 5:12:45 PM, Biodome wrote:

I don't see that the problem's bad enough to warrant the responses and repeated complaints I've observed both here and elsewhere. The focus appears undue.
Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 7:18:09 AM

Questions for you:

All the facts you request are irrelevant.
SocialJusticeWarrior
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 8:56:34 PM

How are SJWs "nuts?"
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 9:55:01 PM
At 5/28/2016 7:18:09 AM, Death23 wrote:

Questions for you:

Ok, why are the "facts" I requested irrelevant?

Even if they are irrelevant, why won't you answer the questions?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 10:12:30 PM
Slo can't even type "YYW." He can only type "YWW." Maybe he's dyslexic, or just stupid. Either way, doesn't matter.

I care about people who are SJW's because what they do actively hurts the Left, of which I am a part. SJW's hurt the left by pushing divisiveness, division, and derision on entire populations who belong to certain groups which they dislike. Often, those groups are formed by SJW's on the basis of things like being white, or cisgendered. These people are racist and bigoted hypocrites who bastardize liberalism in favor of some Kafka-esque delusion of "equality" in the society. It is offensive and morally repulsive.

SJWs increasingly populate the halls of academia. Most people, however, don't understand the difference between SJW's and your garden variety college or graduate student age "protester" of social injustice. The difference is this: SJW's silence those who disagree with them, and actively engage in efforts to hurt and ruin the lives of anyone whose views they find objectionable. Examples of views that SJW's find objectionable include, but are not limited to, the view that it is acceptable to wear a hula girl camp shirt, or the view that it is acceptable to talk about (much less criticize) the reprehensible practices of Islamic culture in places like Afghanistan, South Asia, and Africa.

These people, the SJW's, actively dilapidate academia, and any and all other institutions they infect. They create a culture in academia where diversity of opinion cannot exist, because opinions inconsistent with SJW narratives are actively repressed under the threat of professional, social, or cultural sanction. These people are morally repulsive, debase, and deviant. Their worldview transitions normal human interaction into an ethical landmine where outrage and vitriol take the place of rational discourse, and will be arbitrarily inflicted on anyone who does anything that any SJW disagrees with.

These people have this power because, as many of them populate the higher echelons of university administrations and departments, they define what political correctness is. That power gives them the means to define what is "acceptable" and what is "problematic," where doing the latter means that you could lose your job in an American university, be fired from a position you hold over political differences, and the like. They essentially blackmail people into bowing to their perversion of how the world ought to be.

We have seen this kind of person in the past. They were the priests and bishops who drove the Spanish inquisition, the pontiffs and other religious leaders who lead Cromwell's England, and the communists who drove Mao's Chinese cultural revolution. These SJW's engage in a practice that takes the form of a secular priesthood, and they are doing things that history has seen before and condemned.

In America, we do not retaliate against people like SJWs do. We have our political differences, and accept them, and debate one another rationally. We do not attack one another personally, and try to ruin the lives of those whose politics differ from ours. SJW's represent a change from that status quo, and it is a change for the worst.

These vile, disgusting people feign victimhood under the guise of "trauma" from merely being exposed to political activism that advances ideals which are not congruent with theirs. That is how low these deviants sink too. And most of them are kids, in colleges and graduate schools studying subjects that have been rendered intellectual trash by these Frankfurt school thugs. They have ruined political science, ruined psychology, ruined sociology, ruined philosophy, ruined each and every one of the humanities, ruined history, and they to this day actively engage in efforts and means that would, if translated into social policy, make America look like a Kafka-Orwellian dystopia.

That is why I care about them. I can see what comes next, even though idiots on this site who disagree with me do not.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 10:17:21 PM
Because SJWs are infectious parasites that destroy our education systems and portray anything they dislike to either be racist, sexist, or both.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 4:12:53 AM
At 5/28/2016 8:56:34 PM, SocialJusticeWarrior wrote:

How are SJWs "nuts?"

The term "SJW" has different meanings for different people. Some on the left embrace the term, and for them it encompasses all progressive activists; On the other hand, some on the right use the term pejoratively to refer only to extreme and unreasonable leftist activists. This thread was directed at those who use the term pejoratively in the more narrow sense.
Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 4:33:52 AM
At 5/28/2016 9:55:01 PM, YYW wrote:

Questions for you:

I see that questions 1 and 3 were not irrelevant. To questions 1 and 3, yes and yes.

Questions 2 and 4 are irrelevant because they're personal questions (i.e. ad hominem). I won't answer those questions because I value my privacy.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 4:35:21 AM
At 5/29/2016 4:33:52 AM, Death23 wrote:
At 5/28/2016 9:55:01 PM, YYW wrote:

Questions for you:

I see that questions 1 and 3 were not irrelevant. To questions 1 and 3, yes and yes.

Questions 2 and 4 are irrelevant because they're personal questions (i.e. ad hominem). I won't answer those questions because I value my privacy.

Fine. Answer the rest of question's 1 and 3.
Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 4:35:35 AM
At 5/28/2016 10:17:21 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
Because SJWs are infectious parasites that destroy our education systems and portray anything they dislike to either be racist, sexist, or both.

Embellish much?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 4:35:49 AM

Learn, btw:

I care about people who are SJW's because what they do actively hurts the Left, of which I am a part. SJW's hurt the left by pushing divisiveness, division, and derision on entire populations who belong to certain groups which they dislike. Often, those groups are formed by SJW's on the basis of things like being white, or cisgendered. These people are racist and bigoted hypocrites who bastardize liberalism in favor of some Kafka-esque delusion of "equality" in the society. It is offensive and morally repulsive.

SJWs increasingly populate the halls of academia. Most people, however, don't understand the difference between SJW's and your garden variety college or graduate student age "protester" of social injustice. The difference is this: SJW's silence those who disagree with them, and actively engage in efforts to hurt and ruin the lives of anyone whose views they find objectionable. Examples of views that SJW's find objectionable include, but are not limited to, the view that it is acceptable to wear a hula girl camp shirt, or the view that it is acceptable to talk about (much less criticize) the reprehensible practices of Islamic culture in places like Afghanistan, South Asia, and Africa.

These people, the SJW's, actively dilapidate academia, and any and all other institutions they infect. They create a culture in academia where diversity of opinion cannot exist, because opinions inconsistent with SJW narratives are actively repressed under the threat of professional, social, or cultural sanction. These people are morally repulsive, debase, and deviant. Their worldview transitions normal human interaction into an ethical landmine where outrage and vitriol take the place of rational discourse, and will be arbitrarily inflicted on anyone who does anything that any SJW disagrees with.

These people have this power because, as many of them populate the higher echelons of university administrations and departments, they define what political correctness is. That power gives them the means to define what is "acceptable" and what is "problematic," where doing the latter means that you could lose your job in an American university, be fired from a position you hold over political differences, and the like. They essentially blackmail people into bowing to their perversion of how the world ought to be.

We have seen this kind of person in the past. They were the priests and bishops who drove the Spanish inquisition, the pontiffs and other religious leaders who lead Cromwell's England, and the communists who drove Mao's Chinese cultural revolution. These SJW's engage in a practice that takes the form of a secular priesthood, and they are doing things that history has seen before and condemned.

In America, we do not retaliate against people like SJWs do. We have our political differences, and accept them, and debate one another rationally. We do not attack one another personally, and try to ruin the lives of those whose politics differ from ours. SJW's represent a change from that status quo, and it is a change for the worst.

These vile, disgusting people feign victimhood under the guise of "trauma" from merely being exposed to political activism that advances ideals which are not congruent with theirs. That is how low these deviants sink too. And most of them are kids, in colleges and graduate schools studying subjects that have been rendered intellectual trash by these Frankfurt school thugs. They have ruined political science, ruined psychology, ruined sociology, ruined philosophy, ruined each and every one of the humanities, ruined history, and they to this day actively engage in efforts and means that would, if translated into social policy, make America look like a Kafka-Orwellian dystopia.

That is why I care about them. I can see what comes next, even though idiots on this site who disagree with me do not.
Cryo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 11:26:27 AM
SJW's have never done anything to me personally, but I have seen enough of how they think, and how they treat other people to see them as a growing problem.

They claim to be fighting for equality, tolerance, and social justice, yet all they ever seem to do is bully people who disagree with them. They'll say they're oppressed in a society where their voices aren't heard, but then they'll harrass and shut down a speaker visiting the campus because they disagree with what the speaker would've said, and never see the hypocrisy in their actions. They say they fight against racism, but claim it's impossible to be racist against white people. They create safe spaces where they can go so they don't have to hear different opinions, rather than listening and engaging in civil discourse, and debating with reason and evidence. They're the kind of people who see "Trump" written in chalk on a sidewalk and say they feel unsafe or violated, or claim they suffer from PTSD because of mean things people wrote to them on the internet.

The SJW phenomenon is the result of, what I believe, was once an honest and rational attempt to better understand the dynamics of things like race and gender and the roles they play in shaping people's experiences in society. I think it's a good thing to try and better understand those who are different from you, and if there are in fact inequalities, we should work to address them. But they've taken things to the extreme and gone completely mental.

This disagreement is why I personally don't like them, but the reason I think it's becoming a problem is because they're gaining influence. College campuses, at least when it comes to liberal arts and humanities, are becoming echo chambers where a person's feelings are more important than whether or not they can support their claims with evidence. This is a bad thing, obviously. These are people coming into adulthood, who, rather than being prepared for the real world, and learning how to deal with people who think differently from them, are being coddled and given every excuse to just run away, or being encouraged to be the aggressors they claim to be fighting against.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 5:22:55 PM
At 5/29/2016 4:35:35 AM, Death23 wrote:
At 5/28/2016 10:17:21 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Embellish much?

No, just that the SJWs on this site as well as the ones elsewhere happen to strike me at every nerve.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 5:24:37 PM
After reading this thread, all I can say is I'm glad I'm not from the US :P We do have people here whom we call 'leftards', but they're harmless for the most part (many would disagree with me on that though)
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 5:53:14 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 5/29/2016 4:35:49 AM, YYW wrote:

Learn, btw:

You're exaggerating.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 6:27:14 AM
At 5/27/2016 4:22:41 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I really don't have an opinion on Smelly Jewish Women.

Even though you just aired one.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 7:45:46 AM
At 7/13/2016 6:27:14 AM, desmac wrote:
At 5/27/2016 4:22:41 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I really don't have an opinion on Smelly Jewish Women.

Even though you just aired one.

Smell is in the air.