why debate politics with strangers?

sfskier16
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 6:03:34 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Hi DDO community,

There are many potential reasons that people choose to debate online, whether in forums or in a head-to-head format. As anyone reading this has likely participated in such debates, I'm curious to know what your primary motivations have been for doing so. Please choose from the options below, and share as much additional context as you want.

Why do you like to debate politics with strangers?
- I want to be exposed to new ideas and be challenged by opposing perspectives.
- I think I can change people's minds, and hope to do so to support my candidate or political objectives.
- I love debate in-person (high school / college debater), and online is a fun way to stay sharp when there's no tournaments to go to.
- I like knowing that I am right, and enjoy the validation from having others vote in my favor.
- OTHER: ___________________

Thanks!

(Full-disclosure, I'm working a new debate site called Citizen Debate, which is theoretically a competitor to DDO but focused primarily on politics, and with before/after voting similar to Intelligence Squared debates. I am not trying to self-promote with this post, but legitimately looking for your feedback.)
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 9:47:40 PM
At 5/27/2016 6:03:34 PM, sfskier16 wrote:
Hi DDO community,

There are many potential reasons that people choose to debate online, whether in forums or in a head-to-head format. As anyone reading this has likely participated in such debates, I'm curious to know what your primary motivations have been for doing so. Please choose from the options below, and share as much additional context as you want.

- I think I can change people's minds, and hope to do so to support my candidate or political objectives.
- I love debate in-person (high school / college debater), and online is a fun way to stay sharp when there's no tournaments to go to.
- I like knowing that I am right, and enjoy the validation from having others vote in my favor.

Thanks!

(Full-disclosure, I'm working a new debate site called Citizen Debate, which is theoretically a competitor to DDO but focused primarily on politics, and with before/after voting similar to Intelligence Squared debates. I am not trying to self-promote with this post, but legitimately looking for your feedback.)

All of the above I would say
AnnaCzereda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 9:59:29 PM
I wouldn't say I debate politics with strangers. I engage in debates only if I feel strongly about the topic. More often I simply present my views. Sometimes, I want to show off. I never try to convince anyone about anything. It's not my business what people think. When I engage in some discussion online, I usually make many references to my own country, Poland, and also to other European countries since American politics is rather alien to me.
He wished to turn his countenance from the smoldering rubble, but saw from amidst the embers that a few chaff would not burn away. To these, he stared into the eye of God sneering, and called them, 'Promethean.'
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 4:06:16 AM
At 5/27/2016 10:05:42 PM, Wylted wrote:
I have no life, but thank you for reminding me

Lol
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 5:05:26 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 5/27/2016 6:03:34 PM, sfskier16 wrote:
Hi DDO community,

Thanks!

To get to the other side
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...