Jump to topic:

Trump just made a huge mistake

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 9:08:04 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Trump just backed out of the debate with Bernie Sanders. This news came to me as I was about to write a thread titled "Trump cannot lose in debating Sanders". Well, the reasons for that potential thread will now come into play regardless.

1. It would have made Hillary look bad

Trump is making gains on Hillary already. On the heels of her poor PR move in arrograntly backing out of the last debate, this was a chance to crush the non-partisans' remaining good favor. While she would have been above debating opposition that gave her trouble everywhere out of the red south - Trump could have lined up the biggest political TV event in history and then made it a charity event.

Aside from that, the massive publicity could have given Sanders a solid chance at pulling California. If he were to do that, it could cast a lot of doubt on Clinton coming into the general season - giving Trump some Democratic disarray to pounce on.

2. He is worse off in the eyes of potential Democratic defectors.

Sanders supporters are a hard group for Hillary Clinton. Some of them have said they would prefer Trump to Sanders. This was the opportunity for Trump to make a case to Sanders supporters thinking about not voting for Clinton. In backing out of the debate, he looks like a coward to many of those people he should want to bring to him.

---

Thoughts?
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 9:27:59 PM
At 5/27/2016 9:08:04 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Trump just backed out of the debate with Bernie Sanders. This news came to me as I was about to write a thread titled "Trump cannot lose in debating Sanders". Well, the reasons for that potential thread will now come into play regardless.

Trump is making gains on Hillary already. On the heels of her poor PR move in arrograntly backing out of the last debate, this was a chance to crush the non-partisans' remaining good favor. While she would have been above debating opposition that gave her trouble everywhere out of the red south - Trump could have lined up the biggest political TV event in history and then made it a charity event.

Aside from that, the massive publicity could have given Sanders a solid chance at pulling California. If he were to do that, it could cast a lot of doubt on Clinton coming into the general season - giving Trump some Democratic disarray to pounce on.

Sanders supporters are a hard group for Hillary Clinton. Some of them have said they would prefer Trump to Sanders. This was the opportunity for Trump to make a case to Sanders supporters thinking about not voting for Clinton. In backing out of the debate, he looks like a coward to many of those people he should want to bring to him.

---

Thoughts?

Again, it would be pointless to debate him because Hillary is going to win the nomination.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 9:28:51 PM
At 5/27/2016 9:27:59 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
Again, it would be pointless to debate him because Hillary is going to win the nomination.

That completely ignores the broader impact of doing the debate.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 9:29:29 PM

Sanders supporters are a hard group for Hillary Clinton. Some of them have said they would prefer Trump to Clinton

Fix'd

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 9:29:33 PM
At 5/27/2016 9:28:51 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

And Sanders might have had a heart attack from being stumped too hard in a debate.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 9:31:56 PM
At 5/27/2016 9:29:33 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 5/27/2016 9:28:51 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

And Sanders might have had a heart attack from being stumped too hard in a debate.

If there's anyone out there who can hold their own against Trumpian tactics, it's Sanders. However, that wouldn't matter for Trump, because he only needs to beat Clinton - and there's no better way to start than by extending a hand to Clinton's current worst enemy.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 9:35:05 PM

---

Thoughts?

You are dead on. It was a win for Trump no matter how badly he might do. All aces for Trump, and cool for Sanders, but not going to change anything for real. It would have hurt the he11out of Clinton.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 9:37:44 PM

---

Thoughts?

This way, Trump looses lots. Looks weak, misses the chance to pick-up some disenfranchised, AND rub Clintons nose in the dirt. How cowardly must he be to not exploit this gift.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 9:39:19 PM
At 5/27/2016 9:37:44 PM, TBR wrote:

---

Thoughts?

This way, Trump looses lots. Looks weak, misses the chance to pick-up some disenfranchised, AND rub Clintons nose in the dirt. How cowardly must he be to not exploit this gift.

I'm not sure if it was his decision to back out. From what I've gathered, his advisers really tried to get him to back away from the prospect quicker than he did. I think it was their bad advice, and his mistake to follow.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 9:44:00 PM
At 5/27/2016 9:39:19 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 5/27/2016 9:37:44 PM, TBR wrote:

---

Thoughts?

I'm not sure if it was his decision to back out. From what I've gathered, his advisers really tried to get him to back away from the prospect quicker than he did. I think it was their bad advice, and his mistake to follow.

That says little for him, really. He has the 'I'm my own man, and say what I want' bullsh1t going.

Any advisor that said no is worried about how Trump is going to do in a debate when the topic is more complex than calling your competition doodie head.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 9:49:48 PM

---

Thoughts?

One possible reason comes to mind: a debate would draw attention to the many differences between Sanders and Trump (one's right-leaning, the other's left-leaning), which may actually make them less likely to vote for the Fuhrer.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 9:59:17 PM
At 5/27/2016 9:49:48 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

---

Thoughts?

One possible reason comes to mind: a debate would draw attention to the many differences between Sanders and Trump (one's right-leaning, the other's left-leaning), which may actually make them less likely to vote for the Fuhrer.

Trump is generally a moderate with protectionist economic policies - and is someone who said he wants to turn the GOP into a workers' party. I'm sure he could capitalize on the similarities with Bernie on campaign finance and the party system - even if the left-wingers need to give up some policy to support him (though not nearly as much as they would to support former GOP candidates).

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 10:04:50 PM
At 5/27/2016 9:59:17 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

---

Thoughts?

Trump is generally a moderate with protectionist economic policies - and is someone who said he wants to turn the GOP into a workers' party. I'm sure he could capitalize on the similarities with Bernie on campaign finance and the party system - even if the left-wingers need to give up some policy to support him (though not nearly as much as they would to support former GOP candidates).

Bernie: "If anybody in this country dares to call themselves a democratic socialist or a social justice warrior, they will be appalled by Trump's degrading view of women! They will be appalled by his plan to deport millions of poor, hardworking Americans who are just trying to make a better life for themselves and their children! Donald Trump is wall street incarnate; don't let him fool you with his demagogic and inflammatory rhetoric!"

The DDO Blog:

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 10:09:55 PM
At 5/27/2016 10:04:50 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 5/27/2016 9:59:17 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

---

Thoughts?

Bernie: "If anybody in this country dares to call themselves a democratic socialist or a social justice warrior, they will be appalled by Trump's degrading view of women! They will be appalled by his plan to deport millions of poor, hardworking Americans who are just trying to make a better life for themselves and their children! Donald Trump is wall street incarnate; don't let him fool you with his demagogic and inflammatory rhetoric!"

And? Trump will shape his own fate. That's the ultimate theme of his run so far - and he didn't make a good decision here.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 10:20:05 PM
Trump might actually be worried Bernie could seize the Convention if he gives him too much boost. That's the only thing that could bring down the GodEmporer.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 12:41:14 AM
At 5/27/2016 10:20:05 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Trump might actually be worried Bernie could seize the Convention if he gives him too much boost. That's the only thing that could bring down the GodEmporer.

You do realize that by this point it is literally impossible for Bernie Sanders to secure the number of delegates needed to win, right?

The DDO Blog:

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 1:12:31 AM
At 5/28/2016 12:41:14 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

You do realize that by this point it is literally impossible for Bernie Sanders to secure the number of delegates needed to win, right?

phew!
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 1:28:31 AM

Berniebros don't seem to understand this. Their candidate is going to have to argue party bigwigs should overturn the popular vote and choose him instead. Oh, the irony.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 1:39:39 AM
At 5/28/2016 1:12:31 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

phew!

What Sanders is still capable of, however, is a scorched earth campaign which would prevent most of his voter base from defecting to the Trump camp. The Fuhrer needs the Sanders voters to hate Clinton while not putting too much thought into how contrary Trump's values are to theirs.

The DDO Blog:

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 2:56:58 AM

---

Thoughts?

Trump doesn't need to debate Sanders. He is not going to win the nomination, and the politically apathetic group of Sanders supporters that are following him for simple reasons such as free entitlements and legalized marijuana are probably not going to vote for Trump. However, the ones that likely him for being an anti establishment candidate will most likely either vote 3rd party or join Trump. Odds are that most of the women in Sanders' campaign will vote for Clinton, while most of the older voters will vote for Trump.

I'm not really sure what will happen. I don't suppose most of the degenerates that are Sanders supporters to move over to Trump, who will actually make them get off their a$$es and work.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 3:05:51 AM
At 5/28/2016 2:56:58 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

---

Thoughts?

Trump doesn't need to debate Sanders. He is not going to win the nomination, and the politically apathetic group of Sanders supporters that are following him for simple reasons such as free entitlements and legalized marijuana are probably not going to vote for Trump. However, the ones that likely him for being an anti establishment candidate will most likely either vote 3rd party or join Trump. Odds are that most of the women in Sanders' campaign will vote for Clinton, while most of the older voters will vote for Trump.

Them voting 3rd party would help Trump, but it might not be enough for him.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 3:09:04 AM
At 5/28/2016 3:05:51 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

---

Thoughts?

Considering he is already winning in many averages, and the fact that the 3rd party candidates will never stand a chance, nor are they any good, I doubt that too many of them will switch once Trump gets to debate Clinton.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 3:11:57 AM
At 5/28/2016 3:09:04 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

---

Thoughts?

Considering he is already winning in many averages, and the fact that the 3rd party candidates will never stand a chance, nor are they any good, I doubt that too many of them will switch once Trump gets to debate Clinton.

That type of attitude would make one a poor adviser to Trump. A voter for you is better than a voter at home.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 3:15:16 AM
At 5/28/2016 3:11:57 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

---

Thoughts?

That type of attitude would make one a poor adviser to Trump. A voter for you is better than a voter at home.

I understand that, but the crowd that supports Bernie, at least the most vocal of them, will never support Trump. Currently, as it stands and as the media has pointed him out to be, it would be antithetical for Sanders supporters to support someone that they deem a sexist and a racist. Only those that are part of the #NeverHillary crowd will vote for him, which is about 33% of the Sanders people.

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 3:41:38 AM
At 5/28/2016 3:15:16 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

---

Thoughts?

I understand that, but the crowd that supports Bernie, at least the most vocal of them, will never support Trump. Currently, as it stands and as the media has pointed him out to be, it would be antithetical for Sanders supporters to support someone that they deem a sexist and a racist. Only those that are part of the #NeverHillary crowd will vote for him, which is about 33% of the Sanders people.

33%? Did you just pull that from your a$$? This link is the worse I have seen @ ~25% say they will not support Clinton. Now, I personally am one of them, but that number will be close to election norms by election day, say mid teens.

http://www.politico.com...

Thing is, MORE republicans are in the "never Trump" camp, so...

http://www.rasmussenreports.com...
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 3:46:16 AM
At 5/28/2016 3:41:38 AM, TBR wrote:

---

Thoughts?

33%? Did you just pull that from your a$$? This link is the worse I have seen @ ~25% say they will not support Clinton. Now, I personally am one of them, but that number will be close to election norms by election day, say mid teens.

There was a poll done that showed 33% of them wouldn't have voted for Clinton. This poll, it seems, wasn't fully correct then.

This was done on April 11th, and now it's May 27th. He is the nominee for the Republican party and thus most Republicans will back him. The fact that he has hit record numbers in various respects and the fact that he has had such high voter turnout speaks volumes.

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 3:52:45 AM
At 5/28/2016 3:46:16 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

---

Thoughts?

There was a poll done that showed 33% of them wouldn't have voted for Clinton. This poll, it seems, wasn't fully correct then.

This was done on April 11th, and now it's May 27th. He is the nominee for the Republican party and thus most Republicans will back him. The fact that he has hit record numbers in various respects and the fact that he has had such high voter turnout speaks volumes.

The percentage of cross-over vote / No vote top of ticket from the respective party's is normally in the low - mid teens for either party. This cycle, we have two candidates that are generally disliked within their own party - that is just the truth on both sides.

I have no fear that Trump will win. Like none at all. However, there will be no election party's for me. I will not be cheering anything when Clinton wins. I will be waiting for four years to be up and primary the he11 out of her.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 3:56:46 AM
At 5/28/2016 3:52:45 AM, TBR wrote:

---

Thoughts?

The percentage of cross-over vote / No vote top of ticket from the respective party's is normally in the low - mid teens for either party. This cycle, we have two candidates that are generally disliked within their own party - that is just the truth on both sides.

If Clinton and Trump are at an equal disadvantage, then there really is not disadvantage in the general. However, Trump is generally seen as a much more honest candidate than Clinton is, and considering there will be debates between the two, I think he will really start to shine. What you must realize is that Trump has destroyed the candidacies of various Republicans just with the usage of a terms, such as Lyin' Ted, Low Energy Bush, etc. Crooked Hillary will start to destroy her.

I have no fear that Trump will win. Like none at all. However, there will be no election party's for me. I will not be cheering anything when Clinton wins. I will be waiting for four years to be up and primary the he11 out of her.

I couldn't care less who wins so long as it's not Sanders.

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 1:41:30 PM
At 5/28/2016 3:56:46 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 5/28/2016 3:52:45 AM, TBR wrote:

---

Thoughts?

If Clinton and Trump are at an equal disadvantage, then there really is not disadvantage in the general. However, Trump is generally seen as a much more honest candidate than Clinton is, and considering there will be debates between the two, I think he will really start to shine. What you must realize is that Trump has destroyed the candidacies of various Republicans just with the usage of a terms, such as Lyin' Ted, Low Energy Bush, etc. Crooked Hillary will start to destroy her.

I couldn't care less who wins so long as it's not Sanders.

Again, Trump is only a couple points behind her in the "honest" poll questions

http://dailycaller.com...

Trump, and Trump supporters are doing what conservatives seem to have grown a habit for - only listening to the echo-chamber.

Trump is just hated outside of the "in-group". He is seen, by me included, as a pathological liar. Like he can't even be honest about the little things. He can't be honest about his own damn net worth.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 2:44:13 PM
At 5/28/2016 1:39:39 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 5/28/2016 1:12:31 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

phew!

What Sanders is still capable of, however, is a scorched earth campaign which would prevent most of his voter base from defecting to the Trump camp. The Fuhrer needs the Sanders voters to hate Clinton while not putting too much thought into how contrary Trump's values are to theirs.

good point.