Jump to topic:

Immigrants are less likely to do crime

Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 7:54:47 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Its been a stereotype that immigrants cause crime, "yet, as many scholars know, a substantial literature consistently finds that immigrants are less, not more, crime prone than their native-born counterparts. Study after study documents that immigrants are less likely to be involved in, or to be institutionalized for, criminal involvement compared with the native born"
https://webfiles.uci.edu...

I'll have to check the studies to see if it includes illegal immigration, if it does, that will be really interesting. I'm also curious why that is. Maybe immigrants have more respect for the country and its better society because it has improved their lives, whilst native born take it for granted?
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 7:56:13 PM
I assume this is for the US?
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 8:03:27 PM
At 5/28/2016 7:54:47 PM, Hayd wrote:
Its been a stereotype that immigrants cause crime, "yet, as many scholars know, a substantial literature consistently finds that immigrants are less, not more, crime prone than their native-born counterparts. Study after study documents that immigrants are less likely to be involved in, or to be institutionalized for, criminal involvement compared with the native born"

I'll have to check the studies to see if it includes illegal immigration, if it does, that will be really interesting. I'm also curious why that is. Maybe immigrants have more respect for the country and its better society because it has improved their lives, whilst native born take it for granted?

Your source was nearly impossible to read. Is this the only source you used?
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 8:09:22 PM

Maybe immigrants from certain areas are less likely to do crime. This isn't true for Islamic immigrants from the middle east, whom are far more likely to do crime in Europe.
Geographia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 8:14:06 PM
Now trying not to be inflammatory, this doesn't include the figure of crime. Naturally, natives get away with crime one way or other so this is moot.
someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 8:16:47 PM
Obvious confounders are obvious.

Here: http://www.theatlantic.com...
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 8:41:47 PM
At 5/28/2016 8:16:47 PM, someloser wrote:
Obvious confounders are obvious.

Here: http://www.theatlantic.com...

To be fair, the article ignores that most of the crime is done by repeat offenders--IIRC, it was an average of 5 per criminal. At 2.89 million offenses (including immigration offenses) with an average of 5 crimes per criminal, you've got about 600,000 criminals out of 10 million illegal immigrants. I read the cited GAO study's summary, and it put the average at an even higher 7, while also noting that 50% of the crimes were immigration-related, drug-related, or traffic violations. 6% is hardly what I would call a tremendously high crime rate, especially when we're only looking at illegal immigrants.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 8:47:34 PM
At 5/28/2016 7:56:13 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I assume this is for the US?

I checked, and the first study the review listed was done on the US,

"In the present study, we seek to advance the literature on the connection between immigration and crime by attending to these limitations. Specifically, we investigate the impact of change in measures of immigration on change in serious crime for 159 U.S. cities from 1980 through 2000."

I'd assume its the same for the other studies
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 8:52:04 PM
At 5/28/2016 8:03:27 PM, janesix wrote:

In what way is it impossible to read? Is english not your native language or something? And thats the source I got the quote from...
AnnaCzereda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 8:52:41 PM

This certainly cannot be said about Muslim immigrants, especially in Europe. From what I read online and have been hearing in the news, they commit more crimes than the natives or even white immigrants. You know, I don't want to sound like a racist but certain facts just can't be swept under the rug. In the Western Europe, especially in France and Germany, there are Muslim ghettos, the no-go zones that are ridden with crime. The police has been afraid to venture there so the inhabitants were left to their own devices, they even established their own Sharia law. Only after the terrorist attacks in Paris and Brussels, the police finally raided the ghettos. Not to mention the multiple cases of rapes and sexual abuse in Germany.

Not a better situation is in the refugee shelters or camps in Germany, where women are regularly harassed, raped or forced into prostitution and the refugees of different faiths than Islam are beaten or otherwise harassed.
He wished to turn his countenance from the smoldering rubble, but saw from amidst the embers that a few chaff would not burn away. To these, he stared into the eye of God sneering, and called them, 'Promethean.'
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 8:54:40 PM
At 5/28/2016 8:09:22 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
Maybe immigrants from certain areas are less likely to do crime. This isn't true for Islamic immigrants from the middle east, whom are far more likely to do crime in Europe.

Can you source this?
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 8:56:42 PM
At 5/28/2016 8:52:41 PM, AnnaCzereda wrote:

This certainly cannot be said about Muslim immigrants, especially in Europe. From what I read online and have been hearing in the news, they commit more crimes than the natives or even white immigrants. You know, I don't want to sound like a racist but certain facts just can't be swept under the rug. In the Western Europe, especially in France and Germany, there are Muslim ghettos, the no-go zones that are ridden with crime. The police has been afraid to venture there so the inhabitants were left to their own devices, they even established their own Sharia law. Only after the terrorist attacks in Paris and Brussels, the police finally raided the ghettos. Not to mention the multiple cases of rapes and sexual abuse in Germany.

Not a better situation is in the refugee shelters or camps in Germany, where women are regularly harassed, raped or forced into prostitution and the refugees of different faiths than Islam are beaten or otherwise harassed.

This is definately interesting. Can you link me to the study or research paper?
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 8:58:12 PM
At 5/28/2016 8:52:04 PM, Hayd wrote:

In what way is it impossible to read? Is english not your native language or something? And thats the source I got the quote from...
Maybe its my phone but i cant get the font bigger.

They claim "study after study" but do they actually source those studies?
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 8:58:29 PM
At 5/28/2016 8:14:06 PM, Geographia wrote:
Now trying not to be inflammatory, this doesn't include the figure of crime. Naturally, natives get away with crime one way or other so this is moot.

Why would natives be more likely to get away with crime than immigrants?
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 8:59:53 PM
At 5/28/2016 8:58:12 PM, janesix wrote:

yeah, some phones have bad pdf viewers, there's apps for that

Yes, I just didn't include it in my quote. There were like 5 different sources on the page I read, and I haven't read the rest of the review.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 9:08:57 PM
At 5/28/2016 8:59:53 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 5/28/2016 8:58:12 PM, janesix wrote:

yeah, some phones have bad pdf viewers, there's apps for that

Yes, I just didn't include it in my quote. There were like 5 different sources on the page I read, and I haven't read the rest of the review.

Ok thanks for checking.
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 9:39:23 PM

this was for the US, so I fail to see the relevance of European stats
AnnaCzereda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 9:40:55 PM
At 5/28/2016 8:56:42 PM, Hayd wrote:
This is definately interesting. Can you link me to the study or research paper?

I haven't found any study. I got that from the news and the articles I read. Besides, the study you linked to is about the US, not Europe.

http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org...

This is about the situation of women in the refugee camps.

http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org...

This is about no-go zones.

http://www.independent.co.uk...

This is about sexual assaults in Cologne. Anyway, it was all over in the media.
He wished to turn his countenance from the smoldering rubble, but saw from amidst the embers that a few chaff would not burn away. To these, he stared into the eye of God sneering, and called them, 'Promethean.'
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 9:41:48 PM
At 5/28/2016 9:39:23 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:

I didn't know what country this was referring to.
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 9:42:57 PM
At 5/28/2016 9:41:48 PM, triangle.128k wrote:

It mostly talks about the US.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 9:47:11 PM
At 5/28/2016 9:42:57 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:

Well it would be true in this case because we don't have radical Islamist fascists flocking in like with Europe.
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 9:50:24 PM
At 5/28/2016 9:47:11 PM, triangle.128k wrote:

Well it would be true in this case because we don't have Muslims flocking in like with Europe.

I removed the meaningless political buzzwords
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 10:06:26 PM
At 5/28/2016 9:50:24 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 5/28/2016 9:47:11 PM, triangle.128k wrote:

Well it would be true in this case because we don't have Muslims flocking in like with Europe.

I removed the meaningless political buzzwords

I never said I am against Muslim immigration. I'm against radical Islamists that support Sharia law, screening should kick those people out and prevent them from entering.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 10:17:41 PM

Correct.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 10:18:34 PM

If you count illegal immigration to be a crime itself, which it is, then every single one of them is a criminal as they are breaking immigration laws. Also, immigrants in Europe tend to commit crime at a much, much larger rate than Europeans do in their own nations.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 10:25:33 PM

What about illegal immigrants. Where are those stats? Legal immigrant stats are completely useless.