Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

Feel the Gary

NewLifeChristian
Posts: 1,236
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 5:56:19 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
It's official, Gov. Johnson is the Libertarian Party nominee.

Read more: https://twitter.com...
Pro-Life Quotes:

"I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born."
- Ronald Reagan

"The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government."
- Thomas Jefferson

"A person is a person no matter how small."
- Dr. Seuss
TN05
Posts: 4,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 5:58:41 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
There are a fair bit of things that concern be about Gary and his VP, William Weld. I think they both have fairly solid economic records (even Weld got Bs from Cato), but lean more socially liberal than libertarian and Gary being an isolationist is the opposite of my stance. But as of right now they'd probably have my vote. 15% is the threshold for getting into a debate, and he has 10%. Good luck.
TN05
Posts: 4,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 6:01:51 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Cato grades: http://www.cato.org...

Gary got straight Bs (they loved his tax cuts and reduction in government employees, felt he was alright with spending) and Weld got an A and two Bs. Fairly solid. As I said, their social and foreign policy stances are concerning. But in terms of spending, really solid records, especially given the Democrats they had to deal with. Far more conservative than Trump in every regard economically.
NewLifeChristian
Posts: 1,236
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 6:03:19 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/29/2016 5:58:41 PM, TN05 wrote:
There are a fair bit of things that concern be about Gary and his VP, William Weld. I think they both have fairly solid economic records (even Weld got Bs from Cato), but lean more socially liberal than libertarian and Gary being an isolationist is the opposite of my stance. But as of right now they'd probably have my vote. 15% is the threshold for getting into a debate, and he has 10%. Good luck.
Austin Petersen was ideal for the Libertarian Party. Regardless, I give my full support to Trump now that Johnson is the party's nominee. And you're right, he is more socially liberal than libertarian. Personally, I think Trump is better than him.
Pro-Life Quotes:

"I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born."
- Ronald Reagan

"The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government."
- Thomas Jefferson

"A person is a person no matter how small."
- Dr. Seuss
TN05
Posts: 4,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 6:14:43 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/29/2016 6:03:19 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
At 5/29/2016 5:58:41 PM, TN05 wrote:
There are a fair bit of things that concern be about Gary and his VP, William Weld. I think they both have fairly solid economic records (even Weld got Bs from Cato), but lean more socially liberal than libertarian and Gary being an isolationist is the opposite of my stance. But as of right now they'd probably have my vote. 15% is the threshold for getting into a debate, and he has 10%. Good luck.
Austin Petersen was ideal for the Libertarian Party.

I disagree. Petersen comes off like a jerk, has no qualifications to be President, and has a ton of batty views (we don't need roads, borders are just arbitrary lines, etc.). Plus, he's not really pro-life, or at least wasn't when he started running - he was only personally pro-life until a few months ago. I would have had a hard time voting for him.

Regardless, I give my full support to Trump now that Johnson is the party's nominee. And you're right, he is more socially liberal than libertarian. Personally, I think Trump is better than him.

I don't think Trump is better at all. Economically, Johnson is superior. He supports free trade (Trump opposes), entitlement reform (Trump opposes), and lower spending (Trump opposes). In terms of foreign policy, Johnson is bad but at least has a coherent vision whereas Trump is bad and has no vision. And on social policy, Johnson is liberal but arguably has a better pro-life record than Trump (he supported a late-term abortion ban in the 90s while Trump opposed it, supports a viability-based ban now and thinks Roe v. Wade was wrongly decided; Right to Life endorsed him for re-election) and has an effectively identical stance on gay marriage to Trump (it's the law, can't change it). On gun control, Johnson has opposed it while Trump supported it just a few years ago.

What advantage does Trump have?
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 6:16:59 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/29/2016 5:56:19 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
It's official, Gov. Johnson is the Libertarian Party nominee.

Read more: https://twitter.com...

Third parties have no chance in the current US two-party system. Don't get so excited.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
BrendanD19
Posts: 2,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 8:18:12 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/29/2016 6:16:59 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 5/29/2016 5:56:19 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
It's official, Gov. Johnson is the Libertarian Party nominee.

Read more: https://twitter.com...

Third parties have no chance in the current US two-party system. Don't get so excited.

Well the goal is not to win for the Libertarians and the Green party. The goal is to get to 5% or above, because then you get federal funding.
TN05
Posts: 4,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 9:12:06 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/29/2016 8:18:12 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 5/29/2016 6:16:59 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 5/29/2016 5:56:19 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
It's official, Gov. Johnson is the Libertarian Party nominee.

Read more: https://twitter.com...

Third parties have no chance in the current US two-party system. Don't get so excited.

Well the goal is not to win for the Libertarians and the Green party. The goal is to get to 5% or above, because then you get federal funding.

Exactly. Barring a conservative third party I'd support the libertarian for this reason.
BrendanD19
Posts: 2,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 9:47:37 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/29/2016 9:12:06 PM, TN05 wrote:
At 5/29/2016 8:18:12 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 5/29/2016 6:16:59 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 5/29/2016 5:56:19 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
It's official, Gov. Johnson is the Libertarian Party nominee.

Read more: https://twitter.com...

Third parties have no chance in the current US two-party system. Don't get so excited.

Well the goal is not to win for the Libertarians and the Green party. The goal is to get to 5% or above, because then you get federal funding.

Exactly. Barring a conservative third party I'd support the libertarian for this reason.

There is also the Constitution party, but they are about a third the size of the Libertarians and the Greens and they don't have enough ballot access to mathematically win the presidency.
Also they are pretty wacky. They are a dominionist and theocratic party, and they also have a good deal of support among Southern Nationalists and they think any state should be allowed to leave the union.
TN05
Posts: 4,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 11:09:33 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/29/2016 9:47:37 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 5/29/2016 9:12:06 PM, TN05 wrote:
At 5/29/2016 8:18:12 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 5/29/2016 6:16:59 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 5/29/2016 5:56:19 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
It's official, Gov. Johnson is the Libertarian Party nominee.

Read more: https://twitter.com...

Third parties have no chance in the current US two-party system. Don't get so excited.

Well the goal is not to win for the Libertarians and the Green party. The goal is to get to 5% or above, because then you get federal funding.

Exactly. Barring a conservative third party I'd support the libertarian for this reason.

There is also the Constitution party, but they are about a third the size of the Libertarians and the Greens and they don't have enough ballot access to mathematically win the presidency.
Also they are pretty wacky. They are a dominionist and theocratic party, and they also have a good deal of support among Southern Nationalists and they think any state should be allowed to leave the union.

They might not even field a candidate, their last candidate endorsed Trump.
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 11:20:07 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
I'm not too happy about Gary getting it, but he is the most electable. I don't like his stance on anti discrimination.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
BrendanD19
Posts: 2,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 11:20:35 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/29/2016 11:09:33 PM, TN05 wrote:
At 5/29/2016 9:47:37 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 5/29/2016 9:12:06 PM, TN05 wrote:
At 5/29/2016 8:18:12 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 5/29/2016 6:16:59 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 5/29/2016 5:56:19 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
It's official, Gov. Johnson is the Libertarian Party nominee.

Read more: https://twitter.com...

Third parties have no chance in the current US two-party system. Don't get so excited.

Well the goal is not to win for the Libertarians and the Green party. The goal is to get to 5% or above, because then you get federal funding.

Exactly. Barring a conservative third party I'd support the libertarian for this reason.

There is also the Constitution party, but they are about a third the size of the Libertarians and the Greens and they don't have enough ballot access to mathematically win the presidency.
Also they are pretty wacky. They are a dominionist and theocratic party, and they also have a good deal of support among Southern Nationalists and they think any state should be allowed to leave the union.

They might not even field a candidate, their last candidate endorsed Drumpf.

Darrell Castle Endorsed Trump?
TN05
Posts: 4,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 11:57:13 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/29/2016 11:20:35 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 5/29/2016 11:09:33 PM, TN05 wrote:
At 5/29/2016 9:47:37 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 5/29/2016 9:12:06 PM, TN05 wrote:
At 5/29/2016 8:18:12 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 5/29/2016 6:16:59 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 5/29/2016 5:56:19 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
It's official, Gov. Johnson is the Libertarian Party nominee.

Read more: https://twitter.com...

Third parties have no chance in the current US two-party system. Don't get so excited.

Well the goal is not to win for the Libertarians and the Green party. The goal is to get to 5% or above, because then you get federal funding.

Exactly. Barring a conservative third party I'd support the libertarian for this reason.

There is also the Constitution party, but they are about a third the size of the Libertarians and the Greens and they don't have enough ballot access to mathematically win the presidency.
Also they are pretty wacky. They are a dominionist and theocratic party, and they also have a good deal of support among Southern Nationalists and they think any state should be allowed to leave the union.

They might not even field a candidate, their last candidate endorsed Drumpf.

Darrell Castle Endorsed Trump?

Virgil Goode, their 2012 nominee
BrendanD19
Posts: 2,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 11:59:09 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/29/2016 11:57:13 PM, TN05 wrote:
At 5/29/2016 11:20:35 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 5/29/2016 11:09:33 PM, TN05 wrote:
At 5/29/2016 9:47:37 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 5/29/2016 9:12:06 PM, TN05 wrote:
At 5/29/2016 8:18:12 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 5/29/2016 6:16:59 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 5/29/2016 5:56:19 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
It's official, Gov. Johnson is the Libertarian Party nominee.

Read more: https://twitter.com...

Third parties have no chance in the current US two-party system. Don't get so excited.

Well the goal is not to win for the Libertarians and the Green party. The goal is to get to 5% or above, because then you get federal funding.

Exactly. Barring a conservative third party I'd support the libertarian for this reason.

There is also the Constitution party, but they are about a third the size of the Libertarians and the Greens and they don't have enough ballot access to mathematically win the presidency.
Also they are pretty wacky. They are a dominionist and theocratic party, and they also have a good deal of support among Southern Nationalists and they think any state should be allowed to leave the union.

They might not even field a candidate, their last candidate endorsed Drumpf.

Darrell Castle Endorsed Drumpf?

Virgil Goode, their 2012 nominee

Ah. Well they already nominated Darrell Castle for 2016
NewLifeChristian
Posts: 1,236
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 5:15:13 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/29/2016 6:45:33 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
Can't bury the Gary?
Nice . . . I should've used that one.
Pro-Life Quotes:

"I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born."
- Ronald Reagan

"The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government."
- Thomas Jefferson

"A person is a person no matter how small."
- Dr. Seuss
Burzmali
Posts: 1,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 6:49:58 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
I voted for him in 2012, and I'm happy to do it again. I also got most of my coworkers ready to vote for him, too. Pretty much anyone expressing unhappiness with Trump and Clinton, I'm reminding them to vote 3rd party.
bhakun
Posts: 231
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 2:39:46 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/29/2016 6:14:43 PM, TN05 wrote:

I disagree. Petersen comes off like a jerk, has no qualifications to be President, and has a ton of batty views (we don't need roads, borders are just arbitrary lines, etc.). Plus, he's not really pro-life, or at least wasn't when he started running - he was only personally pro-life until a few months ago. I would have had a hard time voting for him.


Well that's a first time a Libertarian has said anything that makes sense!
"We must rapidly begin the shift from a "thing-oriented" society to a "person-oriented" society. When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights are considered more important than people, the giant triplets of racism, materialism, and militarism are incapable of being conquered." -MLK Jr