Jump to topic:

Forum Debate: Is the Fetus living?

fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 9:25:28 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
The forum debate of this 2-week-period will be, "Is the Fetus living?" The fetus is a baby before birth, in the mother's stomach.

Please represent your side, and your arguments. You can rebut arguments from the other's side's as long as you want. I like forum debates because they never end.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 9:26:16 PM
CON side

There are many reasons to support that the fetus is living. These are the seven categories to prove something is living. If it matches at least one, then the thing is living.
Movement - The Fetus can move, so this is met.

Respiration (Breathe) - " The fetus does not actually breathe in the womb. The mother breathes for the fetus, and essential oxygen is passed to the fetus through the umbilical cord. The fetus does make breathing-like movements though. These begin at 9 weeks of pregnancy and allow the fetus to practice this breathing movement [4]."

Even though the Fetus doesn't actually breathe, the mother does breathe for the fetus, and they are connected from the Umbilical cord. Therefore, they are techinally breathing their mother's oxygen, and they can breathe.

Sensitivity - The fetus can feel pain at 20 weeks [5]. This is still time in the fetus, so techinally, this part is met.

Growth - The fetus can grow.

Reproduce- The fetus cannot reproduce

Excretion (Sweat, burn waste) - The fetus can do this.

Nutrition- The fetus cannot actually take in nutrition, but then they can take their mother's nutrition and energy from the cord. Therefore, the point is met.

People might say, "Well it has to meet all categories." Not true. Lets see, can a non-living thing do anything of this, like move, feel pain, breathe, grow, etc.? No! Non-living things can't match all of the things. This means that if one is met, then it is living. As I showed 4 really possible, 2 not quite, and 1 cannot, therefore the fetus is a living organism.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
simplelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 9:44:43 PM
At 5/31/2016 9:25:28 PM, fire_wings wrote:
The forum debate of this 2-week-period will be, "Is the Fetus living?" The fetus is a baby before birth, in the mother's stomach.

Please represent your side, and your arguments. You can rebut arguments from the other's side's as long as you want. I like forum debates because they never end. : :

A fetus is formed from the same exact breath of life as everything else you experience.
Lsumichiganfan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 9:46:39 PM
At 5/31/2016 9:26:16 PM, fire_wings wrote:

Ok. This is an interesting debate one that I will look forward to actively being engaged in. Well, first we have to define what "living" is the definition of living is according to google.com "alive".
First, we can rightfully assume that a Fetus is alive. The heart starts beating roughly 18 days after conception. The fetus also will soon develop many organs and feel pain.

But, if a Fetus is "alive". Then rights do apply to a fetus but the question is asked what rights? Will free speech apply to the Fetus? Innocent until proven Guilty? The Right to bear arms?
Well, none of these rights apply to a fetus. Thus, the right to abortion remains.

(Sorry for the speedy argument, I will continue on when I have more time)
Please vote on this debate: http://www.debate.org...
"You have displayed the political understanding of a tortoise thus far in this election" -Harder
Lsumichiganfan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 9:49:58 PM
At 5/31/2016 9:46:39 PM, Lsumichiganfan wrote:

Ok. This is an interesting debate one that I will look forward to actively being engaged in. Well, first we have to define what "living" is the definition of living is according to google.com "alive".
First, we can rightfully assume that a Fetus is alive. The heart starts beating roughly 18 days after conception. The fetus also will soon develop many organs and feel pain.

But, if a Fetus is "alive". Then rights do apply to a fetus but the question is asked what rights? Will free speech apply to the Fetus? Innocent until proven Guilty? The Right to bear arms?
Well, none of these rights apply to a fetus. Thus, the right to abortion remains.

(Sorry for the speedy argument, I will continue on when I have more time)

TYPOS RESOLVED
*Then what rights apply to a fetus?
*Then the question is asked what rights?
*The heart starts beating roughly 18 days after conception, the fetus will also develop many organs in this period.
*This is an interesting debate one that I look forward to being engaged in.

Well, first we have to define what living is.....
Please vote on this debate: http://www.debate.org...
"You have displayed the political understanding of a tortoise thus far in this election" -Harder
simplelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 10:12:34 PM
At 5/31/2016 9:46:39 PM, Lsumichiganfan wrote:

(Sorry for the speedy argument, I will continue on when I have more time) : :

Here's what makes a body "alive";

Genesis 2
7: then the LORD God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.

The "breath of life" is information. It takes information to form a body and make it move.