Jump to topic:

Evolution Baffled by Rush Limbaugh

ThinkBig
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 11:17:13 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
So this happened today. Evolution is clearly baffled by the existence of Rush Limbaugh. Watch:

RUSH LIMBAUGH (HOST): This woman obviously has not read Genesis, and even if she did it wouldn't have any impact on her. But human beings travel all over the world to gawk at animals precisely because they're unusual, they're interesting, some are cute, some are deadly. There's no way human beings are going to not be interested in animals. Gawking at them. Out on safari, hunting them or what -- By the way, you know there's another factor in this, Snerdley? A lot of people think that all of us used to be apes. Don't doubt me on this. A lot of people think that all of us used to be gorillas. And they're looking for the missing link out there. The evolution crowd. They think we were originally apes. I've always -- if we were the original apes, then how come Harambe is still an ape, and how come he didn't become one of us? "Well, that's why were looking for the missing link, Mr. Limbaugh, your question is absurd."

http://mediamatters.org...

I have never met someone who opposed evolution that actually understood it. I also have never met someone who opposed vaccines, GMOs, global warming ,etc. that understood it.

Major face palm.
ThinkBig
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Notable Notes and Quotable Quotes
"I GOT SIG'D"
"WELL FVCK ME IN THE A$SHOLE AND CALL ME A CUCK I GOT SIG'D AGAIN"
-Kiri
If anyone's getting modkilled, it's kiri. Just for his sig.
-7th
Need a judge or vote? Nominate me!!
NothingSpecial99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 1:24:38 AM
At 5/31/2016 11:17:13 PM, ThinkBig wrote:
So this happened today. Evolution is clearly baffled by the existence of Rush Limbaugh. Watch:

RUSH LIMBAUGH (HOST): This woman obviously has not read Genesis, and even if she did it wouldn't have any impact on her. But human beings travel all over the world to gawk at animals precisely because they're unusual, they're interesting, some are cute, some are deadly. There's no way human beings are going to not be interested in animals. Gawking at them. Out on safari, hunting them or what -- By the way, you know there's another factor in this, Snerdley? A lot of people think that all of us used to be apes. Don't doubt me on this. A lot of people think that all of us used to be gorillas. And they're looking for the missing link out there. The evolution crowd. They think we were originally apes. I've always -- if we were the original apes, then how come Harambe is still an ape, and how come he didn't become one of us? "Well, that's why were looking for the missing link, Mr. Limbaugh, your question is absurd."

I have never met someone who opposed evolution that actually understood it. I also have never met someone who opposed vaccines, GMOs, global warming ,etc. that understood it.

Major face palm.

Allow me to remedy the fact that you never met someone opposed to evolution who understood it
"Check your facts, not your privilege" - Christina Hoff Summers

If you go to jail for Tax Evasion, you're living off of Taxes as a result of not paying Taxes

"Facts don't care about your feelings" - Ben Shapiro
ThinkBig
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 1:31:19 AM
At 6/1/2016 1:24:38 AM, NothingSpecial99 wrote:

Major face palm.

Allow me to remedy the fact that you never met someone opposed to evolution who understood it

So you think you understand evolution and yet still reject it? Let's start with the basics, what is evolution?
ThinkBig
"I GOT SIG'D"
-Kiri
-7th
NothingSpecial99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 1:50:59 AM
At 6/1/2016 1:31:19 AM, ThinkBig wrote:

Major face palm.

So you think you understand evolution and yet still reject it? Let's start with the basics, what is evolution?

Within every environment, you have variety in the types of organisms. Some organisms have traits that help them to reproduce in their environments (ex. camouflage to trick predators, different shaped beaks suited for collecting certain food for birds). Organisms without traits to help them survive or traits that are counterproductive to survival die off leaving only the the organisms with the beneficial traits. This process is known as natural selection.

Another factor, mutations or random copying errors in the genome of every organism also play a role in neo-darwinism. As natural selection can only eliminate, a mechanism is needed to add variety to the gene pool. Evolutionists see mutations as a primary mechanism for such change.

As the result of combining natural selection and mutations, organisms begin to become their own distinctive species apart from their common ancestor. It is this process of speciation over the course of billions of years that produced dinosaurs to birds evolution, microbes to microbiologists and such.

So, how is that for understanding evolution?

If you go to jail for Tax Evasion, you're living off of Taxes as a result of not paying Taxes

ThinkBig
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 1:53:31 AM
At 6/1/2016 1:50:59 AM, NothingSpecial99 wrote:

Major face palm.

Within every environment, you have variety in the types of organisms. Some organisms have traits that help them to reproduce in their environments (ex. camouflage to trick predators, different shaped beaks suited for collecting certain food for birds). Organisms without traits to help them survive or traits that are counterproductive to survival die off leaving only the the organisms with the beneficial traits. This process is known as natural selection.

Another factor, mutations or random copying errors in the genome of every organism also play a role in neo-darwinism. As natural selection can only eliminate, a mechanism is needed to add variety to the gene pool. Evolutionists see mutations as a primary mechanism for such change.

As the result of combining natural selection and mutations, organisms begin to become their own distinctive species apart from their common ancestor. It is this process of speciation over the course of billions of years that produced dinosaurs to birds evolution, microbes to microbiologists and such.

A bit too oversimplified. I've read your debate and was certainly not impressed by either side.
ThinkBig
"I GOT SIG'D"
-Kiri
-7th
NothingSpecial99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 1:57:51 AM
At 6/1/2016 1:53:31 AM, ThinkBig wrote:

Major face palm.

A bit too oversimplified. I've read your debate and was certainly not impressed by either side.

While I admit I don't know everything about neo darwinism like the finer details, do you think I understand at least the general concept of evolution?

NothingSpecial99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 2:13:34 AM
At 6/1/2016 1:53:31 AM, ThinkBig wrote:

Major face palm.

I'm always open to feedback. Tell me your issues with the debate

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 5:05:54 PM
So you support all vaccines? I never seen anyone who was pro every single vaccine that knew abything about them.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 5:31:44 PM

Major face palm.

I understand evolution. I don't believe in Darwinism. Evolution and Darwinism are not synonymous. Variation within species is real. Mutations are real. Hooved hyenas becoming whales is a fairytale.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
ThinkBig
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 5:33:52 PM
At 6/1/2016 5:31:44 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Major face palm.

I understand evolution. I don't believe in Darwinism. Evolution and Darwinism are not synonymous. Variation within species is real. Mutations are real. Hooved hyenas becoming whales is a fairytale.

Thank you for proving my point. No scientist said that hooved hyenas became whales.
ThinkBig
"I GOT SIG'D"
-Kiri
-7th
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 5:36:45 PM
Darwinism: whales came from hyenas

http://nmlc.org...

So...from the Cambrian to now we need 5 billion transitions from 500 million years. Humans in their current form have existed for a long long time. At that pace there isn't nearly enough time in 500 million years to get billipns of physical, biological transitions to get a spider, much less Christy Brinkley.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

ThinkBig
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 5:42:42 PM
At 6/1/2016 5:36:45 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

So...from the Cambrian to now we need 5 billion transitions from 500 million years. Humans in their current form have existed for a long long time. At that pace there isn't nearly enough time in 500 million years to get billipns of physical, biological transitions to get a spider, much less Christy Brinkley.

Way too simplified.

http://evolution.berkeley.edu...
http://www.talkorigins.org...
ThinkBig
"I GOT SIG'D"
-Kiri
-7th
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 5:46:43 PM
At 6/1/2016 5:42:42 PM, ThinkBig wrote:
At 6/1/2016 5:36:45 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Way too simplified.

http://evolution.berkeley.edu...
http://www.talkorigins.org...

You know as well as I do that Darwinism does not meet the scientific method. Never observed, untestable, unmeasurable, etc. And the fossil record is all over the place in reguards to darwinism. The Cambrian shows a quick adustment biologically. They have found rabbits in what they have defined as precambrian. The fossil record is no help to darwinism. Darwinism has been taken on faith and faith alone. Bacteria never become nonbacteria. It never happens. Why? Because it can't.

Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 6:32:51 PM

Major face palm.

To explain some of the oversimplification criticism: you're talking in absolutes. Rather, beneficial traits allow members of a population to be more successful versus members and other organisms in the environment that don't have those traits. Traits that aren't directly advantageous can still persist, though with less frequency, especially if they are not detrimental. So this has more to do with the frequency of gene variations within a population being positively related to the reproductive advantages they confer.

Mutations can be caused by environmental effects as well, though these seem to be less common. Also, "copying error" really masks the myriad forms that a mutation can take. It is possible for entire genes and chromosomes to be duplicated, creating additional sites for mutations to occur without necessarily causing detrimental changes to an organism.

A separation event usually has to happen, as well. This is something that causes the population to split. For instance, it can be a shift in wind that causes a generation of seeds to disperse away from the parent plants.

As was said, you have a simplified understanding of it. The next question would be whether you understand the evidence that supports it.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 6:41:42 PM
At 6/1/2016 6:32:51 PM, Burzmali wrote:

Major face palm.

To explain some of the oversimplification criticism: you're talking in absolutes. Rather, beneficial traits allow members of a population to be more successful versus members and other organisms in the environment that don't have those traits. Traits that aren't directly advantageous can still persist, though with less frequency, especially if they are not detrimental. So this has more to do with the frequency of gene variations within a population being positively related to the reproductive advantages they confer.

Mutations can be caused by environmental effects as well, though these seem to be less common. Also, "copying error" really masks the myriad forms that a mutation can take. It is possible for entire genes and chromosomes to be duplicated, creating additional sites for mutations to occur without necessarily causing detrimental changes to an organism.

A separation event usually has to happen, as well. This is something that causes the population to split. For instance, it can be a shift in wind that causes a generation of seeds to disperse away from the parent plants.

As was said, you have a simplified understanding of it. The next question would be whether you understand the evidence that supports it.

And yet the descendents of midgets and people born without a right arm are normal...

Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 6:52:25 PM
At 6/1/2016 6:41:42 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Major face palm.

And yet the descendents of midgets and people born without a right arm are normal...

The genetic cause of dwarfism is a dominant mutation, meaning there's basically a 50% chance that someone with the mutation will produce a child without the disorder if his/her partner does not have it. People who are born without limbs are usually the result of complications in the womb or nutritional issues with the mother during gestation, not genetics.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 8:36:58 PM
At 6/1/2016 6:52:25 PM, Burzmali wrote:

Major face palm.

The genetic cause of dwarfism is a dominant mutation, meaning there's basically a 50% chance that someone with the mutation will produce a child without the disorder if his/her partner does not have it. People who are born without limbs are usually the result of complications in the womb or nutritional issues with the mother during gestation, not genetics.

Meaning the dwarf stays human. It also is relevant in that dwarfs descendents all eventually winding up being normal in size. That is not Darwinism. That is anti darwinism.

Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 9:27:45 PM
At 6/1/2016 8:36:58 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Major face palm.

Meaning the dwarf stays human. It also is relevant in that dwarfs descendents all eventually winding up being normal in size. That is not Darwinism. That is anti darwinism.

What the fvck is Darwinism? This thread is about evolution.

And 50% of the individual's children will have the mutation (if the other parent doesn't have it). The odds of all of the descendants being wild-type are very low unless those with the mutation don't reproduce.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 9:38:36 PM
At 6/1/2016 9:27:45 PM, Burzmali wrote:

Major face palm.

And 50% of the individual's children will have the mutation (if the other parent doesn't have it). The odds of all of the descendants being wild-type are very low unless those with the mutation don't reproduce.

A slangword for your religion that you follow on faith.

Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 9:52:27 PM
At 6/1/2016 9:38:36 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Major face palm.

Do you have a non-troll response, or is pathetic ignorance all that you can bring to this discussion?
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 10:12:21 PM
At 6/1/2016 9:52:27 PM, Burzmali wrote:
At 6/1/2016 9:38:36 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Major face palm.

Do you have a non-troll response, or is pathetic ignorance all that you can bring to this discussion?

You correlate that Darwian evolution and evolution have nothing to do with each other...

Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 4:43:46 AM
At 6/1/2016 10:12:21 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
You correlate that Darwian evolution and evolution have nothing to do with each other...

Your sentence doesn't make a lot of sense. Did you mean that I insinuate that "Darwian" evolution doesn't have anything to do with evolution? What I actually did was ask for clarification. Regardless of whatever juvenile word games you're trying to play, this thread is about current evolutionary theory. Maybe you'd like to stay with the topic.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 9:05:59 AM
At 6/1/2016 5:46:43 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

They have found rabbits in what they have defined as precambrian.

That was a hoax https://en.wikipedia.org...
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2016 12:18:49 AM

Major face palm.

Poor Rush, science isn't his forte
Meh!
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2016 12:26:42 PM
At 6/6/2016 12:18:49 AM, Axonly wrote:

Major face palm.

Poor Rush, science isn't his forte

xD
Meh!