Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

Populist Candidate

Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 1:23:11 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Okay, so...imagine this:
There's a guy who runs for president as an independent candidate. As his campaign, he promises simply to run the country like the majority of Americans want. He will pay very close attention to polls so he can know what the people want and he'll do that.
Thoughts?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Greyparrot
Posts: 16,916
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 1:24:14 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
So Trump doesn't get the nomination?
I find myself intrigued by your subvocal oscillations.
A singular development of cat communications
That obviates your basic hedonistic predilection,
For a rhythmic stroking of your fur to demonstrate affection.
PetersSmith
Posts: 6,894
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 1:28:42 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/1/2016 1:23:11 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Okay, so...imagine this:
There's a guy who runs for president as an independent candidate. As his campaign, he promises simply to run the country like the majority of Americans want. He will pay very close attention to polls so he can know what the people want and he'll do that.
Thoughts?

He'd have to pick a party. Without a party basis there's no one to support him. For example, Bernie was technically an independent senator, but he chose to align with the Democrats.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 1:32:05 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/1/2016 1:28:42 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 6/1/2016 1:23:11 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Okay, so...imagine this:
There's a guy who runs for president as an independent candidate. As his campaign, he promises simply to run the country like the majority of Americans want. He will pay very close attention to polls so he can know what the people want and he'll do that.
Thoughts?

He'd have to pick a party. Without a party basis there's no one to support him. For example, Bernie was technically an independent senator, but he chose to align with the Democrats.

The idea is all the American voters defect from their parties and support this guy, because he represents them far, far better than any ideologue party candidate ever could.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
PetersSmith
Posts: 6,894
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 1:36:21 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/1/2016 1:32:05 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 6/1/2016 1:28:42 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 6/1/2016 1:23:11 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Okay, so...imagine this:
There's a guy who runs for president as an independent candidate. As his campaign, he promises simply to run the country like the majority of Americans want. He will pay very close attention to polls so he can know what the people want and he'll do that.
Thoughts?

He'd have to pick a party. Without a party basis there's no one to support him. For example, Bernie was technically an independent senator, but he chose to align with the Democrats.

The idea is all the American voters defect from their parties and support this guy, because he represents them far, far better than any ideologue party candidate ever could.

The closest thing like that that has ever happened is with Debs, but that was also during a time of immense political upheaval, and Ross Perot, which again happened during a time of political consciousness.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
someloser
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 1:37:07 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Sounds good to me
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,735
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 2:13:48 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
If the majority of Americans want to end the Fed, will he end it?
I think it is well established that the only reason aliens come to earth is to slice up cows and examine inside peoples' bottoms. Unless you are a cow or suffer haemerrhoids I don't think there is anything to worry about from aliens. - keithprosser

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 3:10:06 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/1/2016 2:13:48 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
If the majority of Americans want to end the Fed, will he end it?

Sure.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
PetersSmith
Posts: 6,894
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 3:19:23 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/1/2016 2:13:48 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
If the majority of Americans want to end the Fed, will he end it?

No. The Founders built this nation out of fear of the tyranny of the majority.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,735
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 10:13:48 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/1/2016 3:10:06 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 6/1/2016 2:13:48 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
If the majority of Americans want to end the Fed, will he end it?

Sure.

See, that was the sort of problem I was trying to point out about this hypothetical guy... You can't make policy decisions based on mob mentality :O
I think it is well established that the only reason aliens come to earth is to slice up cows and examine inside peoples' bottoms. Unless you are a cow or suffer haemerrhoids I don't think there is anything to worry about from aliens. - keithprosser

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...