Total Posts:30|Showing Posts:1-30
Jump to topic:

Lets talk tax plans (US)

ballpit
Posts: 157
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 1:43:26 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Which candidate's tax plan do you agree most with? I will link the plans down below so you can read through them.

Trump: https://www.donaldjtrump.com...

Clinton: https://www.hillaryclinton.com...

Sanders: https://berniesanders.com...

Johnson: https://garyjohnson2016.com...
(Click on the tax tab as his site does not have separate pages.)

Keniston(Veterans party): chriskeniston2016.com/platform/

If i missed any candidates please do not hesitate to let me know these are just the big ones I know of. Some of the lesser known candidates do not have explicit explanations of their tax plans so they are not involved above.
This user is an Angel and will answer any DDO-related questions to the best of their ability. PM for help, or post in the Welcome Thread.
Before you do anything:
http://www.debate.org......
Welcome Thread:
http://www.debate.org......
New Members Read Me:
http://www.debate.org......
Argument Bingo
http://imgur.com......
I avoid fights with gay people because even when you win you lose. - Wylted
ballpit
Posts: 157
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 3:02:10 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/2/2016 2:30:13 PM, K-Lew wrote:
Trump's plan seems the most logical. Lower rates equals higher revenue.

Any specifics you may want to bring up in comparison to the other members plans.
This user is an Angel and will answer any DDO-related questions to the best of their ability. PM for help, or post in the Welcome Thread.
Before you do anything:
http://www.debate.org......
Welcome Thread:
http://www.debate.org......
New Members Read Me:
http://www.debate.org......
Argument Bingo
http://imgur.com......
I avoid fights with gay people because even when you win you lose. - Wylted
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 3:24:43 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Trump's plan to tax income made abroad is stupid. If every country did that each multinational would be taxed by a 100 different countries. If he is only wanting to do that on American based companies, it will drive those companies headauarters away and lose us more tax revenue.

Hillary clinton's plan to incentivize longterm as opposed to speculative investing sounds like a plan to merely raise taxes on investments, and not lower them for long term investors. This is stupid. Keep your hands off my 401k Clinton and don't sneak into my 401K by increasing the taxes on my mutual fund company who will obviously not be all buy and hold.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,306
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 3:43:50 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/2/2016 3:24:43 PM, Wylted wrote:
Trump's plan to tax income made abroad is stupid. If every country did that each multinational would be taxed by a 100 different countries. If he is only wanting to do that on American based companies, it will drive those companies headauarters away and lose us more tax revenue.

Hillary clinton's plan to incentivize longterm as opposed to speculative investing sounds like a plan to merely raise taxes on investments, and not lower them for long term investors. This is stupid. Keep your hands off my 401k Clinton and don't sneak into my 401K by increasing the taxes on my mutual fund company who will obviously not be all buy and hold.

We already tax citizens abroad for income tax. It's expensive to be a US citizen.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 3:46:20 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/2/2016 3:43:50 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 6/2/2016 3:24:43 PM, Wylted wrote:
Trump's plan to tax income made abroad is stupid. If every country did that each multinational would be taxed by a 100 different countries. If he is only wanting to do that on American based companies, it will drive those companies headauarters away and lose us more tax revenue.

Hillary clinton's plan to incentivize longterm as opposed to speculative investing sounds like a plan to merely raise taxes on investments, and not lower them for long term investors. This is stupid. Keep your hands off my 401k Clinton and don't sneak into my 401K by increasing the taxes on my mutual fund company who will obviously not be all buy and hold.

We already tax citizens abroad for income tax. It's expensive to be a US citizen.

Why do Democrats do that? Why can't I spend a summer in Singapore and pay for it by getting a job and not have to pay 90% of my income?
ballpit
Posts: 157
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 4:22:18 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/2/2016 3:46:20 PM, Wylted wrote:

Why do Democrats do that? Why can't I spend a summer in Singapore and pay for it by getting a job and not have to pay 90% of my income?

They do it because to support their nonsensical social programs they need more money.
This user is an Angel and will answer any DDO-related questions to the best of their ability. PM for help, or post in the Welcome Thread.
Before you do anything:
http://www.debate.org......
Welcome Thread:
http://www.debate.org......
New Members Read Me:
http://www.debate.org......
Argument Bingo
http://imgur.com......
I avoid fights with gay people because even when you win you lose. - Wylted
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 4:39:40 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
None. We need the Bradford X tax.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Rukado
Posts: 527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 4:48:17 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Trump: Lower tax rates, fewer loopholes, revenue neutral.
Hillary: More taxes for everyone, but she'll somehow make businesses pay you more.
Sanders: More taxes for the rich by closing loopholes
Johnson: More taxes for the poor and middle-class, put everyone on federal welfare.

Trump is the only one of the four that his halfway reasonable. Sanders the Communist Jew has a better tax plan than the incredibly oppressive plans of Hillary the Democrap and Johnson of the anti-Liberty Party.
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 4:55:47 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/2/2016 4:43:58 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 6/2/2016 4:39:40 PM, 16kadams wrote:
None. We need the Bradford X tax.

nice cat.

lol
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 2:00:16 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/2/2016 2:30:13 PM, K-Lew wrote:
Trump's plan seems the most logical. Lower rates equals higher revenue.

Really?
bhakun
Posts: 231
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 2:11:08 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
How does Trump expect to cut the national debt in half with that kind of tax plan?

He'll need to cut 2 of the following: military, social security, medicare. And you know he's not cutting the military.

Sanders has the right idea when it comes to spending, but I think his taxes are even still just too high for working and middle class Americans despite the benefits.

I want a president that prioritizes what is important. Our military should be half the size it is now--put that money into education and the environment.

Or better yet, go with a UBI or a negative income tax.
"We must rapidly begin the shift from a "thing-oriented" society to a "person-oriented" society. When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights are considered more important than people, the giant triplets of racism, materialism, and militarism are incapable of being conquered." -MLK Jr
ballpit
Posts: 157
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 11:21:56 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/3/2016 2:11:08 AM, bhakun wrote:
How does Trump expect to cut the national debt in half with that kind of tax plan?

He'll need to cut 2 of the following: military, social security, medicare. And you know he's not cutting the military.

He plans to begin cutting the national debt and tax international income to a point where it might for businesses back into the United states which should hopefully begin the wheels of the economy turning again by decreasing unemployment.
Sanders has the right idea when it comes to spending, but I think his taxes are even still just too high for working and middle class Americans despite the benefits.

Socialist tax plans are almost always going to be higher than that of a non socialist due to the social programs they want to institute.
I want a president that prioritizes what is important. Our military should be half the size it is now--put that money into education and the environment.
The Federal government should have nothing to do with education it should be up to the states. (Common Core sucks).

Or better yet, go with a UBI or a negative income tax.
This user is an Angel and will answer any DDO-related questions to the best of their ability. PM for help, or post in the Welcome Thread.
Before you do anything:
http://www.debate.org......
Welcome Thread:
http://www.debate.org......
New Members Read Me:
http://www.debate.org......
Argument Bingo
http://imgur.com......
I avoid fights with gay people because even when you win you lose. - Wylted
K-Lew
Posts: 6
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 11:22:29 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/3/2016 2:00:16 AM, TBR wrote:
At 6/2/2016 2:30:13 PM, K-Lew wrote:
Trump's plan seems the most logical. Lower rates equals higher revenue.

Really?

Yes.
K-Lew
Posts: 6
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 11:28:01 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/2/2016 3:02:10 PM, ballpit wrote:
At 6/2/2016 2:30:13 PM, K-Lew wrote:
Trump's plan seems the most logical. Lower rates equals higher revenue.

Any specifics you may want to bring up in comparison to the other members plans.

Trump's tax plan deals with lowering taxes, which is good because the government will receive more revenue from the plan, which can help bring down the national debt. Clinton's and Sanders's plans would only raise taxes, which will then bring in less revenue and make it harder for Americans to save their money.
Rukado
Posts: 527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 12:34:44 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/2/2016 2:30:13 PM, K-Lew wrote:
Trump's plan seems the most logical. Lower rates equals higher revenue.

There is a tax rate of maximum revenue, going above or below it decreases tax revenue. It's not a given that lower rates equals higher revenue.

Trump claims his plan is revenue natural, that so it won't result in higher revenue. And, it's unclear (by what I read) if he wants to actually lower the rates, or just lower tax brackets and close loopholes, resulting in effectively the same rates.

Trump's plan is the best of the four. The other three (including Johnson of the antiLiberty Party) want to dramatically increase tax revenue (Johnson most so on the poor and middle-class).
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 5:24:31 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/3/2016 11:22:29 AM, K-Lew wrote:
At 6/3/2016 2:00:16 AM, TBR wrote:
At 6/2/2016 2:30:13 PM, K-Lew wrote:
Trump's plan seems the most logical. Lower rates equals higher revenue.

Really?

Yes.

Has it? Can you demonstrate this?
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,306
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 5:35:08 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/3/2016 5:24:31 PM, TBR wrote:
At 6/3/2016 11:22:29 AM, K-Lew wrote:
At 6/3/2016 2:00:16 AM, TBR wrote:
At 6/2/2016 2:30:13 PM, K-Lew wrote:
Trump's plan seems the most logical. Lower rates equals higher revenue.

Really?

Yes.

Has it? Can you demonstrate this?

It is only the case when taxes are so high that it reduces GDP
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 5:38:26 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/3/2016 5:35:08 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 6/3/2016 5:24:31 PM, TBR wrote:
At 6/3/2016 11:22:29 AM, K-Lew wrote:
At 6/3/2016 2:00:16 AM, TBR wrote:
At 6/2/2016 2:30:13 PM, K-Lew wrote:
Trump's plan seems the most logical. Lower rates equals higher revenue.

Really?

Yes.

Has it? Can you demonstrate this?

It is only the case when taxes are so high that it reduces GDP

Sure didn't slow GDP growth in the 50's. I forget, what was the tax rate like then?
ballpit
Posts: 157
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 6:46:33 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/3/2016 5:38:26 PM, TBR wrote:
At 6/3/2016 5:35:08 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 6/3/2016 5:24:31 PM, TBR wrote:
At 6/3/2016 11:22:29 AM, K-Lew wrote:
At 6/3/2016 2:00:16 AM, TBR wrote:
At 6/2/2016 2:30:13 PM, K-Lew wrote:
Trump's plan seems the most logical. Lower rates equals higher revenue.

Really?

Yes.

Has it? Can you demonstrate this?

It is only the case when taxes are so high that it reduces GDP

Sure didn't slow GDP growth in the 50's. I forget, what was the tax rate like then?

If you look at this http://taxfoundation.org... it shows you all the incom tax rates back to the early 20th century.
This user is an Angel and will answer any DDO-related questions to the best of their ability. PM for help, or post in the Welcome Thread.
Before you do anything:
http://www.debate.org......
Welcome Thread:
http://www.debate.org......
New Members Read Me:
http://www.debate.org......
Argument Bingo
http://imgur.com......
I avoid fights with gay people because even when you win you lose. - Wylted
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 9:03:00 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/3/2016 6:46:33 PM, ballpit wrote:
At 6/3/2016 5:38:26 PM, TBR wrote:
At 6/3/2016 5:35:08 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 6/3/2016 5:24:31 PM, TBR wrote:
At 6/3/2016 11:22:29 AM, K-Lew wrote:
At 6/3/2016 2:00:16 AM, TBR wrote:
At 6/2/2016 2:30:13 PM, K-Lew wrote:
Trump's plan seems the most logical. Lower rates equals higher revenue.

Really?

Yes.

Has it? Can you demonstrate this?

It is only the case when taxes are so high that it reduces GDP

Sure didn't slow GDP growth in the 50's. I forget, what was the tax rate like then?

If you look at this http://taxfoundation.org... it shows you all the incom tax rates back to the early 20th century.

I am well aware what the rates were, and I am asking the supporters the notion that lowering taxes equals more revenue OR that high taxes equal lower GDP. Neither are close to true - not as history has shown, or by simple logic.
ballpit
Posts: 157
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 9:04:29 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/3/2016 9:03:00 PM, TBR wrote:
At 6/3/2016 6:46:33 PM, ballpit wrote:
At 6/3/2016 5:38:26 PM, TBR wrote:
At 6/3/2016 5:35:08 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 6/3/2016 5:24:31 PM, TBR wrote:
At 6/3/2016 11:22:29 AM, K-Lew wrote:
At 6/3/2016 2:00:16 AM, TBR wrote:
At 6/2/2016 2:30:13 PM, K-Lew wrote:
Trump's plan seems the most logical. Lower rates equals higher revenue.

Really?

Yes.

Has it? Can you demonstrate this?

It is only the case when taxes are so high that it reduces GDP

Sure didn't slow GDP growth in the 50's. I forget, what was the tax rate like then?

If you look at this http://taxfoundation.org... it shows you all the incom tax rates back to the early 20th century.

I am well aware what the rates were, and I am asking the supporters the notion that lowering taxes equals more revenue OR that high taxes equal lower GDP. Neither are close to true - not as history has shown, or by simple logic.

I think that he means revenue for the individual paying the tax from what I read but it could mean otherwise.
This user is an Angel and will answer any DDO-related questions to the best of their ability. PM for help, or post in the Welcome Thread.
Before you do anything:
http://www.debate.org......
Welcome Thread:
http://www.debate.org......
New Members Read Me:
http://www.debate.org......
Argument Bingo
http://imgur.com......
I avoid fights with gay people because even when you win you lose. - Wylted
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 9:15:42 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/3/2016 9:04:29 PM, ballpit wrote:
At 6/3/2016 9:03:00 PM, TBR wrote:
At 6/3/2016 6:46:33 PM, ballpit wrote:
At 6/3/2016 5:38:26 PM, TBR wrote:
At 6/3/2016 5:35:08 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 6/3/2016 5:24:31 PM, TBR wrote:
At 6/3/2016 11:22:29 AM, K-Lew wrote:
At 6/3/2016 2:00:16 AM, TBR wrote:
At 6/2/2016 2:30:13 PM, K-Lew wrote:
Trump's plan seems the most logical. Lower rates equals higher revenue.

Really?

Yes.

Has it? Can you demonstrate this?

It is only the case when taxes are so high that it reduces GDP

Sure didn't slow GDP growth in the 50's. I forget, what was the tax rate like then?

If you look at this http://taxfoundation.org... it shows you all the incom tax rates back to the early 20th century.

I am well aware what the rates were, and I am asking the supporters the notion that lowering taxes equals more revenue OR that high taxes equal lower GDP. Neither are close to true - not as history has shown, or by simple logic.

I think that he means revenue for the individual paying the tax from what I read but it could mean otherwise.

If he wants to clarify, that is fine by me, but I doubt its the case. He points to Trumps tax plan, so....
ballpit
Posts: 157
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 9:16:39 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/3/2016 9:15:42 PM, TBR wrote:
At 6/3/2016 9:04:29 PM, ballpit wrote:
At 6/3/2016 9:03:00 PM, TBR wrote:
At 6/3/2016 6:46:33 PM, ballpit wrote:
At 6/3/2016 5:38:26 PM, TBR wrote:
At 6/3/2016 5:35:08 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 6/3/2016 5:24:31 PM, TBR wrote:
At 6/3/2016 11:22:29 AM, K-Lew wrote:
At 6/3/2016 2:00:16 AM, TBR wrote:
At 6/2/2016 2:30:13 PM, K-Lew wrote:
Trump's plan seems the most logical. Lower rates equals higher revenue.

Really?

Yes.

Has it? Can you demonstrate this?

It is only the case when taxes are so high that it reduces GDP

Sure didn't slow GDP growth in the 50's. I forget, what was the tax rate like then?

If you look at this http://taxfoundation.org... it shows you all the incom tax rates back to the early 20th century.

I am well aware what the rates were, and I am asking the supporters the notion that lowering taxes equals more revenue OR that high taxes equal lower GDP. Neither are close to true - not as history has shown, or by simple logic.

I think that he means revenue for the individual paying the tax from what I read but it could mean otherwise.

If he wants to clarify, that is fine by me, but I doubt its the case. He points to Trumps tax plan, so....

If he wants to he can do it himself I am not here to argue for someone just mediate discussion
This user is an Angel and will answer any DDO-related questions to the best of their ability. PM for help, or post in the Welcome Thread.
Before you do anything:
http://www.debate.org......
Welcome Thread:
http://www.debate.org......
New Members Read Me:
http://www.debate.org......
Argument Bingo
http://imgur.com......
I avoid fights with gay people because even when you win you lose. - Wylted
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 9:19:49 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/3/2016 9:16:39 PM, ballpit wrote:
At 6/3/2016 9:15:42 PM, TBR wrote:
At 6/3/2016 9:04:29 PM, ballpit wrote:
At 6/3/2016 9:03:00 PM, TBR wrote:
At 6/3/2016 6:46:33 PM, ballpit wrote:
At 6/3/2016 5:38:26 PM, TBR wrote:
At 6/3/2016 5:35:08 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 6/3/2016 5:24:31 PM, TBR wrote:
At 6/3/2016 11:22:29 AM, K-Lew wrote:
At 6/3/2016 2:00:16 AM, TBR wrote:
At 6/2/2016 2:30:13 PM, K-Lew wrote:
Trump's plan seems the most logical. Lower rates equals higher revenue.

Really?

Yes.

Has it? Can you demonstrate this?

It is only the case when taxes are so high that it reduces GDP

Sure didn't slow GDP growth in the 50's. I forget, what was the tax rate like then?

If you look at this http://taxfoundation.org... it shows you all the incom tax rates back to the early 20th century.

I am well aware what the rates were, and I am asking the supporters the notion that lowering taxes equals more revenue OR that high taxes equal lower GDP. Neither are close to true - not as history has shown, or by simple logic.

I think that he means revenue for the individual paying the tax from what I read but it could mean otherwise.

If he wants to clarify, that is fine by me, but I doubt its the case. He points to Trumps tax plan, so....

If he wants to he can do it himself I am not here to argue for someone just mediate discussion

That's fine, I'm not asking you to. However, wondering if you have ever referred to your own personal income as "revenue"?
ballpit
Posts: 157
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 9:21:00 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/3/2016 9:19:49 PM, TBR wrote:
At 6/3/2016 9:16:39 PM, ballpit wrote:
At 6/3/2016 9:15:42 PM, TBR wrote:
At 6/3/2016 9:04:29 PM, ballpit wrote:
At 6/3/2016 9:03:00 PM, TBR wrote:
At 6/3/2016 6:46:33 PM, ballpit wrote:
At 6/3/2016 5:38:26 PM, TBR wrote:
At 6/3/2016 5:35:08 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 6/3/2016 5:24:31 PM, TBR wrote:
At 6/3/2016 11:22:29 AM, K-Lew wrote:
At 6/3/2016 2:00:16 AM, TBR wrote:
At 6/2/2016 2:30:13 PM, K-Lew wrote:
Trump's plan seems the most logical. Lower rates equals higher revenue.

Really?

Yes.

Has it? Can you demonstrate this?

It is only the case when taxes are so high that it reduces GDP

Sure didn't slow GDP growth in the 50's. I forget, what was the tax rate like then?

If you look at this http://taxfoundation.org... it shows you all the incom tax rates back to the early 20th century.

I am well aware what the rates were, and I am asking the supporters the notion that lowering taxes equals more revenue OR that high taxes equal lower GDP. Neither are close to true - not as history has shown, or by simple logic.

I think that he means revenue for the individual paying the tax from what I read but it could mean otherwise.

If he wants to clarify, that is fine by me, but I doubt its the case. He points to Trumps tax plan, so....

If he wants to he can do it himself I am not here to argue for someone just mediate discussion

That's fine, I'm not asking you to. However, wondering if you have ever referred to your own personal income as "revenue"?

I have not but some people may revenue is normally referring to large amounts of capital earned by a company or a country.
This user is an Angel and will answer any DDO-related questions to the best of their ability. PM for help, or post in the Welcome Thread.
Before you do anything:
http://www.debate.org......
Welcome Thread:
http://www.debate.org......
New Members Read Me:
http://www.debate.org......
Argument Bingo
http://imgur.com......
I avoid fights with gay people because even when you win you lose. - Wylted