Total Posts:135|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Is discrimination against Muslims justified?

SocialJusticeWarrior
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 4:26:43 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
It seems that many people in the west (mostly the right wing) seem to hold a certain bias against Muslims and the religion of Islam.

Is this discrimination justifiable? Or is it perhaps not present?
lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 4:34:40 AM
At 6/4/2016 4:26:43 AM, SocialJusticeWarrior wrote:
It seems that many people in the west (mostly the right wing) seem to hold a certain bias against Muslims and the religion of Islam.

Yes. Islam is a danger, a severe danger to western societies. It is not so much a religion but a fascist ideology that is intent on world domination. Not all Germans were Nazis in the early last century, but the Nazis were intent on world domination. Look how many souls died in the second world war. Muslims may cause civil war in Europe. If this happens, the Muslims will lose but millions will die. The new nazis come from Islam.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 5:30:41 AM

If you read the Quran just once in your life and you will keep Islam as far from you as is posdible. Read it. I dare you.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 7:03:46 AM

Which type? "certain bias" is vague.
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 9:21:26 AM
Discrimination is generally bad, and I haven't found a compelling reason to specifically target Muslims. So, IMO, it's usually not justified.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 9:32:04 AM

Not justified, but understandable. Definitely present.
Meh!
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 1:39:32 PM

Depends on the situation.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 3:36:47 PM
At 6/4/2016 4:34:40 AM, lotsoffun wrote:

Yes. Islam is a danger, a severe danger to western societies. It is not so much a religion but a fascist ideology that is intent on world domination. Not all Germans were Nazis in the early last century, but the Nazis were intent on world domination. Look how many souls died in the second world war. Muslims may cause civil war in Europe. If this happens, the Muslims will lose but millions will die. The new nazis come from Islam.

Ah, Godwin's Law at it's finest.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 3:57:32 PM

That depends on how you define 'discrimination'. Like any demographic, religion should be taken into account when crafting immigration policy.

I despise Salafism, and the Deobandi movement leaves a bad taste in my mouth as well, for similar reasons. Most of most vociferous anti-Islam people, however, are morons who live in an echo chamber, and are almost completely ignorant of the Islamic world and its history. The quiet unease which most Westerners feel is not entirely baseless, though. The two aforementioned schools ARE prevalent in the West, and do pose a significant problem: they are fundamentally incompatible with Western values.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
AnnaCzereda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 9:40:46 PM

First of all, bias is not a synonym of discrimination. Discrimination is an action. Bias is merely a mental attitude that doesn't have to be acted upon.

Can you offer any examples of how Muslims are discriminated in Europe? Or are you only saying that not everyone has a favorable opinion about Muslims?
He wished to turn his countenance from the smoldering rubble, but saw from amidst the embers that a few chaff would not burn away. To these, he stared into the eye of God sneering, and called them, 'Promethean.'
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 9:44:32 PM

Both sides hold a bias. The right wing sees Islam for what it is, which is a murderous death cult, and the left sees Islam as the opposite. It's foolish to say that only the right wing has a bias.

Discrimination? Burn them all - Aerys II
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 10:55:03 PM

Bias? Are not 99% of all terrorists Muslim? Does rape not increase wherever they move to?

Discrimination in this case is not only justifiable, it is intelligent.
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 11:06:26 PM

Is this discrimination justifiable?

No, discrimination is never justifiable
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 11:07:08 PM
At 6/4/2016 5:30:41 AM, brontoraptor wrote:

If you read the Quran just once in your life and you will keep Islam as far from you as is posdible. Read it. I dare you.

I have. I bought a copy in Morocco (may have been cheated), and I read it in a few days.
KingDavid8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 11:37:04 PM

Discrimination based solely on one's religion is never justifiable, and is downright un-American. If a Muslim person commits a crime, treat him the same as anyone who commits the same crime. If they aren't committing any crimes, treat them the same as anyone else who isn't committing any crimes.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 11:39:37 PM
At 6/4/2016 11:07:08 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:

I have. I bought a copy in Morocco (may have been cheated), and I read it in a few days.

Did you skim over the 100+ verses of violence?
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 11:40:09 PM

Thwre are thousands of Suras on killing infidels. How was it?
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2016 12:06:33 AM
At 6/4/2016 11:40:09 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

I really need to ask, have you actually read the Quran, or have you just read cherrypicked quotes online?
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2016 12:07:03 AM
At 6/4/2016 11:39:37 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

No, I read the whole thing. Have you read it?
bhakun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2016 12:52:23 AM
Men commit more violent crime than women. Should we discriminate against men?

The Westboro Baptist Church is a Christian organization. Should we discriminate against all Christians?

And I know I'm invoking Godwin's Law here, but should we discriminate against all Germans because some are Nazis?

Obviously not, so why is the same logic applied to terror groups and Islam? Because people hate what they don't understand.
"We must rapidly begin the shift from a "thing-oriented" society to a "person-oriented" society. When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights are considered more important than people, the giant triplets of racism, materialism, and militarism are incapable of being conquered." -MLK Jr
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2016 12:55:28 AM
At 6/5/2016 12:07:03 AM, BrendanD19 wrote:

I've never read the entirety of the "book" and I won't either.

BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2016 1:19:12 AM
At 6/5/2016 12:55:28 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Why am I not surprised.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2016 1:20:47 AM
At 6/5/2016 1:19:12 AM, BrendanD19 wrote:

Why am I not surprised.

Because Islam is filth and I don't read crap?

BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2016 1:44:16 AM
At 6/5/2016 1:20:47 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Why am I not surprised.

Because people who say things like "Islam is filth" tend not to be open to new ideas
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2016 1:46:58 AM
At 6/5/2016 1:44:16 AM, BrendanD19 wrote:

Why am I not surprised.

Because people who say things like "Islam is filth" tend not to be open to new ideas

Europe is literally open to new ideas and they're not doing too good right now.

Also, religious fanaticism is not a new idea. It's been around for hundreds of years and the single religion that has such high levels of radicalism is Islam.

lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2016 2:24:03 AM

Why am I not surprised.

And just what "New Ideas" can Islam ever possibly teach a sane or even insane world? If you can legitimately answer this then you will impress everyone.
Midnight1131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2016 4:04:12 AM

Discrimination solely on the basis of race is never OK. However prejudice of individuals doesn't really matter, so long as it isn't reflected in the laws and policies of the state.
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2016 2:35:34 PM
At 6/5/2016 2:24:03 AM, lotsoffun wrote:

Why am I not surprised.

And just what "New Ideas" can Islam ever possibly teach a sane or even insane world? If you can legitimately answer this then you will impress everyone.

Ask Thomas Aquinas.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2016 2:57:38 PM
At 6/4/2016 10:55:03 PM, matt8800 wrote:

Bias? Are not 99% of all terrorists Muslim? Does rape not increase wherever they move to?

Discrimination in this case is not only justifiable, it is intelligent.

Except how wrong you are about the stat. It is almost exactly the opposite in the US and Europe where well over 90% of terrorism is from NON-Muslim.
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2016 4:31:54 PM
At 6/4/2016 11:40:09 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

There are only 114 surahs in the Quran!
"Praise Allah."
~YYW