Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

Cuomoism - a new McCarthy (free speech issue)

1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 1:01:04 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today issued Executive Order No. 157 directing state entities to divest all public funds supporting the Boycotts, Divestment and Sanctions campaign against Israel. The first-in-the-nation action will ensure that no state agency or authority engages in or promotes any investment activity that would further the harmful and discriminatory Palestinian-backed Boycotts, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) campaign in New York State. The Governor made the announcement at the Celebrate Israel Parade.

"New York stands in solidarity with Israel today and always. This state will not stand for the politics of discrimination in any form, and we will continue to demonstrate our unwavering support for the people of Israel in the fight for freedom, liberty and democracy," Governor Cuomo said. "I"m proud to sign this nation"s leading executive order, which will help protect Israel from the threat of divestment. This order sends the message that this state will do everything in its power to end this hateful, intolerant campaign. New York and Israel share an unbreakable bond and I pray that the Israeli and Palestinian people will find a way to live side by side and find peace, prosperity and security."

In 2005, Palestinian civil society issued a call for a Boycotts, Divestment and Sanctions campaign against Israel. The movement is coordinated by the Palestinian BDS National Committee. By eroding confidence in Israel"s legitimacy, the BDS campaign is intended to inflict economic harm, or limit commercial relations, and ultimately weaken or undermine the State of Israel.

The BDS campaign urges many damaging actions against Israel, including:

- Calling for a complete boycott of Israeli products and companies;
- Promoting divestment actions targeting organizations such as endowed universities or churches, and high-profile businesses with large financial holdings in companies supporting Israel; and
- Urging sanctions against Israel in a direct attempt to harm the economic viability of the State.
- To continue fighting the BDS campaign even further, Governor Cuomo has been named as the Co-Chair of the American Jewish Committee"s Governors against BDS initiative. For more than a century, the American Jewish Committee has been the leading global Jewish advocacy organization. With offices across the United States and around the globe, and partnerships with Jewish communities worldwide, it works to enhance the well-being of the Jewish people and to advance human rights and democratic values for all.

Governor Cuomo has long stood with Israel. In 2014, the Governor led a unity trip to Israel in demonstration of solidarity with the State. During the two-day trip, the Governor met with various Israeli government officials, and those impacted by the conflict. Today, New York is home to more than 1.7 million Jews, representing the largest Jewish community outside of Israel in the world. Photos of the Governor"s trip to Israel can be viewed here.

-New York Governor's press office

The order: https://www.governor.ny.gov...

Whether or not you agree that BDS does or doesn't have merit, Gov. Cuomo is in the wrong in every way imaginable. It would be one thing for him to argue against BDS, but, this Order is granting the Israel lobby the ability to use the state government of New York's power to inhibit expression of opposing viewpoints. This Order authorizes blacklisting for politically and philosophically based boycotting.

The Supreme Court of the United States has previously upheld peaceful demonstration through - most importantly for this issue through NAACP v. Claiborne Hardware Co. The Court ruled that "the nonviolent elements of a boycott are entitled to the protection of the First Amendment".

So there should be no issue here. A boycott is a boycott - punishing anyone for expressing their views through one by putting their names on a blacklist and divesting from institutions they believe support the boycotts is a clear cut example of trying to suppress political action and speech.

This was not "addressing discriminatory practices" - this was using state power to stop protests that violate no laws. The only way this would be acceptable would be if BDS was a terrorist organization. But, they most definitely aren't.

Governor Cuomo will have to deal with a court challenge on this, and he won't win. It's obviously abusing executive power to crack down on Constitutionally-protected speech. Cuomo Tweeted:

"If you boycott Israel, New York will boycott you."

Astounding. That should come back to bite him in the a$s.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 1:09:14 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
And anyone who thinks this is "giving BDS a taste of their own medicine" is making a dangerous venture into an extreme authoritarian bastardization of free speech.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 1:09:42 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/9/2016 1:01:04 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today issued Executive Order No. 157 directing state entities to divest all public funds supporting the Boycotts, Divestment and Sanctions campaign against Israel. The first-in-the-nation action will ensure that no state agency or authority engages in or promotes any investment activity that would further the harmful and discriminatory Palestinian-backed Boycotts, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) campaign in New York State. The Governor made the announcement at the Celebrate Israel Parade.

"New York stands in solidarity with Israel today and always. This state will not stand for the politics of discrimination in any form, and we will continue to demonstrate our unwavering support for the people of Israel in the fight for freedom, liberty and democracy," Governor Cuomo said. "I"m proud to sign this nation"s leading executive order, which will help protect Israel from the threat of divestment. This order sends the message that this state will do everything in its power to end this hateful, intolerant campaign. New York and Israel share an unbreakable bond and I pray that the Israeli and Palestinian people will find a way to live side by side and find peace, prosperity and security."

In 2005, Palestinian civil society issued a call for a Boycotts, Divestment and Sanctions campaign against Israel. The movement is coordinated by the Palestinian BDS National Committee. By eroding confidence in Israel"s legitimacy, the BDS campaign is intended to inflict economic harm, or limit commercial relations, and ultimately weaken or undermine the State of Israel.

The BDS campaign urges many damaging actions against Israel, including:

- Calling for a complete boycott of Israeli products and companies;
- Promoting divestment actions targeting organizations such as endowed universities or churches, and high-profile businesses with large financial holdings in companies supporting Israel; and
- Urging sanctions against Israel in a direct attempt to harm the economic viability of the State.
- To continue fighting the BDS campaign even further, Governor Cuomo has been named as the Co-Chair of the American Jewish Committee"s Governors against BDS initiative. For more than a century, the American Jewish Committee has been the leading global Jewish advocacy organization. With offices across the United States and around the globe, and partnerships with Jewish communities worldwide, it works to enhance the well-being of the Jewish people and to advance human rights and democratic values for all.

Governor Cuomo has long stood with Israel. In 2014, the Governor led a unity trip to Israel in demonstration of solidarity with the State. During the two-day trip, the Governor met with various Israeli government officials, and those impacted by the conflict. Today, New York is home to more than 1.7 million Jews, representing the largest Jewish community outside of Israel in the world. Photos of the Governor"s trip to Israel can be viewed here.

-New York Governor's press office

The order: https://www.governor.ny.gov...

Whether or not you agree that BDS does or doesn't have merit, Gov. Cuomo is in the wrong in every way imaginable. It would be one thing for him to argue against BDS, but, this Order is granting the Israel lobby the ability to use the state government of New York's power to inhibit expression of opposing viewpoints. This Order authorizes blacklisting for politically and philosophically based boycotting.

The Supreme Court of the United States has previously upheld peaceful demonstration through - most importantly for this issue through NAACP v. Claiborne Hardware Co. The Court ruled that "the nonviolent elements of a boycott are entitled to the protection of the First Amendment".

So there should be no issue here. A boycott is a boycott - punishing anyone for expressing their views through one by putting their names on a blacklist and divesting from institutions they believe support the boycotts is a clear cut example of trying to suppress political action and speech.

This was not "addressing discriminatory practices" - this was using state power to stop protests that violate no laws. The only way this would be acceptable would be if BDS was a terrorist organization. But, they most definitely aren't.

Governor Cuomo will have to deal with a court challenge on this, and he won't win. It's obviously abusing executive power to crack down on Constitutionally-protected speech. Cuomo Tweeted:

"If you boycott Israel, New York will boycott you."

Astounding. That should come back to bite him in the a$s.

I look forward to watching the bastard crash and burn. This is abhorrent.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 1:13:26 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/9/2016 1:09:42 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 6/9/2016 1:01:04 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Astounding. That should come back to bite him in the a$s.

I look forward to watching the bastard crash and burn. This is abhorrent.

Yeah. I always knew he was a piece of sh!t, but I never knew it was this bad.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Axonly
Posts: 1,802
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 1:00:10 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/9/2016 1:13:26 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 6/9/2016 1:09:42 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 6/9/2016 1:01:04 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Astounding. That should come back to bite him in the a$s.

I look forward to watching the bastard crash and burn. This is abhorrent.

Yeah. I always knew he was a piece of sh!t, but I never knew it was this bad.

Meh. Bump.
Meh!
BrendanD19
Posts: 2,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 7:04:27 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
I completely agree. And Cuomo isn't alone. There are bills before congress trying to Ban BDS and before the British parliament.
The good news is that it shows that the Zionist Lobby is concerned about BDS. Otherwise they wouldn't try to ban it.
BrendanD19
Posts: 2,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 7:04:51 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/9/2016 1:09:14 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
And anyone who thinks this is "giving BDS a taste of their own medicine" is making a dangerous venture into an extreme authoritarian bastardization of free speech.

+1