Jump to topic:

Why did C.S. Lewis Pick Christianity?

matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2016 3:03:39 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
When I was a Christian, C.S. Lewis was my favorite Christian author. He was regarded by much of the Christian world as a hero because he was a logical intellect they could claim. Regardless of what someone's worldview is, he was a brilliant man with an impressive intellect.

One book, Mere Christianity, made the argument in favor of Christianity. He started by first arguing the existence of a God. His most compelling argument was the existence of objective morality (I don't have a strong opinion either way regarding the existence of objective/subjective morality).

When he made the jump from arguing the existence of a God to arguing the truths in Christianity, he neglected to arguing why he picked Christianity. I was looking for this in particular because the irony that all religions think they were the one true religion was not lost on me.

His only statement as to why he picked Christianity was that it was simply the most obvious choice but did not explain.

Here are some other statements he made in other writings:

1. The apostle Paul was unclear and confusing, essentially a poor communicator.

2. The Bible was full of inconsistencies.

3. Many of the miraculous claims in the Bible probably did not happen.

4. The book of Genesis originated from pagan myths.

(source - http://www.patheos.com...)

Since C.S. Lewis did not/could not explain why he picked Christianity over other religions or Deism, I was hoping a Christian could explain with facts and logic as to why they picked Christianity.
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2016 3:12:48 AM
At 6/14/2016 3:03:39 AM, matt8800 wrote:
When I was a Christian, C.S. Lewis was my favorite Christian author. He was regarded by much of the Christian world as a hero because he was a logical intellect they could claim. Regardless of what someone's worldview is, he was a brilliant man with an impressive intellect.

One book, Mere Christianity, made the argument in favor of Christianity. He started by first arguing the existence of a God. His most compelling argument was the existence of objective morality (I don't have a strong opinion either way regarding the existence of objective/subjective morality).

When he made the jump from arguing the existence of a God to arguing the truths in Christianity, he neglected to arguing why he picked Christianity. I was looking for this in particular because the irony that all religions think they were the one true religion was not lost on me.

His only statement as to why he picked Christianity was that it was simply the most obvious choice but did not explain.

Since C.S. Lewis did not/could not explain why he picked Christianity over other religions or Deism, I was hoping a Christian could explain with facts and logic as to why they picked Christianity.
I don't know, but I know he infuriated me with some of his writings, because he wrote as though he had some special insight into the mind of God, that went against what I perceived to be the Spirit that Christ was given immeasurably. I specifically disliked his envisioning of the heavenly realm, where he basically put the burden of man's sinfulness on man, and had seemed to have completely have forgotten the mercy and deliverance offered by Christ. I don't recall many specifics of his writings, because much of the time I spent reading, my mind was in a state of debate against what I was reading.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2016 3:33:35 AM

Because it just wouldn't be the same if Aslan wasn't a lion.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Rukado
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2016 4:02:59 AM

Paul was a brilliant theologian, but communicated complex ideas in his second language (Greek). Given that many critics accuse Paul of inventing Christianity, Paul must have communicated well enough.

C. S. Lewis had the background of an Atheist, so even accepting Christianity, he would still suffer from the influence of his Atheist past, including perceived difficulties with the Bible. It's like the early Protestant Reformers believed Mary remained a virgin, but people who grew up free from Catholic influence easily reject that doctrine.

Christianity is the obvious choice. There's nothing that comes even close. What comes close? "Maybe I'll be Jew, with no Temple and no Priests..." LOL.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2016 9:56:37 AM
At 6/14/2016 4:02:59 AM, Rukado wrote:

Paul was a brilliant theologian, but communicated complex ideas in his second language (Greek). Given that many critics accuse Paul of inventing Christianity, Paul must have communicated well enough.

C. S. Lewis had the background of an Atheist, so even accepting Christianity, he would still suffer from the influence of his Atheist past, including perceived difficulties with the Bible. It's like the early Protestant Reformers believed Mary remained a virgin, but people who grew up free from Catholic influence easily reject that doctrine.

Christianity is the obvious choice. There's nothing that comes even close. What comes close? "Maybe I'll be Jew, with no Temple and no Priests..." LOL.

How about Buddhism? They are a fairly peaceful, moral religion.
Meh!
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2016 1:44:47 PM

Judaism had messianic prophecies for thousands of years. Jesus was born, they got no more prophecies or Divine enlightenment. If He's not the messiah, no one is. Islam fulfills the prophecies of the false antichrist system in Isaiah, Ezekial, Daniel, Jeremiah, Revelation, Acts, Romans, etc. Islam is consuming Hinduism at lightening speed. It won't be long and the world basically will have only Abrahamic faith and Secularism as the Bible said would happen.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2016 2:44:43 PM
At 6/15/2016 1:44:47 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Judaism had messianic prophecies for thousands of years. Jesus was born, they got no more prophecies or Divine enlightenment. If He's not the messiah, no one is. Islam fulfills the prophecies of the false antichrist system in Isaiah, Ezekial, Daniel, Jeremiah, Revelation, Acts, Romans, etc. Islam is consuming Hinduism at lightening speed. It won't be long and the world basically will have only Abrahamic faith and Secularism as the Bible said would happen.

Thomas Paine wrote a book called The Age of Reason, in which he methodically picked apart all the prophet claims in the Bible using logic. If you want to keep believing those prophecies are worthy of consideration, don't read that book.

It took me many years to give myself permission to read dissenting views with an unbiased, analytical mind. Now I find it a strange statement about the human mind that I was so reluctant to apply scrutiny to something I was expected to accept as true.
Rukado
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2016 7:14:19 PM
At 6/15/2016 9:56:37 AM, Axonly wrote:

Peaceful and moral? The teachings of Buddha are not as peaceful and moral as the teachings of Jesus. Did Buddha ever teach "be perfect"?

If we look at the influence of religion on culture, Christian countries are the freest and most prosperous. Atheist countries are the most oppressive. Catholic countries tend to be 3rd-worldish. Every majority Buddhist country is a miserable place.

There are many factors to figure which religion is best, and Buddhism doesn't come close to Christianity.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2016 11:57:23 PM
At 6/15/2016 7:14:19 PM, Rukado wrote:
At 6/15/2016 9:56:37 AM, Axonly wrote:

Peaceful and moral? The teachings of Buddha are not as peaceful and moral as the teachings of Jesus. Did Buddha ever teach "be perfect"?

If we look at the influence of religion on culture, Christian countries are the freest and most prosperous. Atheist countries are the most oppressive. Catholic countries tend to be 3rd-worldish. Every majority Buddhist country is a miserable place.

There are many factors to figure which religion is best, and Buddhism doesn't come close to Christianity.

The bias is strong with this one
Meh!