Jump to topic:

Senate Election 2016

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 3:28:59 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
According to Sabato's Crystal Ball, there are 3 "lean" GOP states, 5 toss up states, and 2 states likely to switch from red to blue. [http://finance.yahoo.com...]

Let's suppose, in addition to those 2 that are already likely to switch, the Dems can flip 2-4 of the 8 other vulnerable seats. Just flipping two, with Biden's vote as President of the Senate, would be sufficient to establish a Dem majority in the Senate. Any other seats gained would just pad the margins.

Thoughts? What do you think is likely to happen?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 7:29:38 PM
Bump
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 7:36:31 PM
At 6/17/2016 3:28:59 AM, bsh1 wrote:
According to Sabato's Crystal Ball, there are 3 "lean" GOP states, 5 toss up states, and 2 states likely to switch from red to blue. [http://finance.yahoo.com...]

Let's suppose, in addition to those 2 that are already likely to switch, the Dems can flip 2-4 of the 8 other vulnerable seats. Just flipping two, with Biden's vote as President of the Senate, would be sufficient to establish a Dem majority in the Senate. Any other seats gained would just pad the margins.

It will be close, but as long as they elect senators who will pass the 28th amendment and stop the TPP, I don't care what letter is next to their name.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 10:04:28 PM
At 6/18/2016 7:36:31 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:

It will be close, but as long as they elect senators who will pass the 28th amendment and stop the TPP, I don't care what letter is next to their name.

Stopping those trade deals would be idiotic.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Lsumichiganfan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 11:35:41 PM

I think Democrats will easily take control of the senate and take the presidency. It will be interesting what happens in the house... Very Very Interesting.
Please vote on this debate: http://www.debate.org...
"You have displayed the political understanding of a tortoise thus far in this election" -Harder
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2016 12:21:31 AM
At 6/18/2016 10:04:28 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Yeah, because sovereignty Is overrated
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2016 12:32:10 AM
At 6/19/2016 12:21:31 AM, BrendanD19 wrote:

Trade deals have nothing to do with sovereignty. It's all a matter of protectionist policies versus free trade policies, and protectionism never works. Being pro sovereignty would work in the case of the Brexit campaign, while I'm for.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2016 12:35:28 AM
At 6/19/2016 12:32:10 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Trade deals have nothing to do with sovereignty. It's all a matter of protectionist policies versus free trade policies, and protectionism never works. Being pro sovereignty would work in the case of the Brexit campaign, while I'm for.

It is true that trying to pursue absolute protectionism and autarky usually fails (just look at North Korea.
Regardless I was talking about ISDS.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2016 12:41:52 AM
At 6/19/2016 12:35:28 AM, BrendanD19 wrote:

It is true that trying to pursue absolute protectionism and autarky usually fails (just look at North Korea.

There is nothing wrong with an Investor-state dispute settlement. It's very good for the international economy as it means that a nation has to embrace a set given of property rights in order to not be sued under the ISDS.

BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2016 12:46:26 AM
At 6/19/2016 12:41:52 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

There is nothing wrong with an Investor-state dispute settlement. It's very good for the international economy as it means that a nation has to embrace a set given of property rights in order to not be sued under the ISDS.

Translation: It's very good for the multinational corporations as it means that a nation has to roll over and do whatever the corporation says or risks being sued under ISDS.

Regardless ISDS is a violation of our sovereignty
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2016 1:02:39 AM
At 6/19/2016 12:46:26 AM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 6/19/2016 12:41:52 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Translation: It's very good for the multinational corporations as it means that a nation has to roll over and do whatever the corporation says or risks being sued under ISDS.

No, that's not the case. You cannot sue nations without due cause, and if you violate the property rights of these corporations, then you will be sued. Evidently, free trade and the investment by these corporations helps those nations intimately.

Regardless ISDS is a violation of our sovereignty

No, it really isn't.