Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

Canada anthem changing to gender-neutral.

PurpleEatter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 6:34:27 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
Ya, so there been a lot of talk about Canada anthem that should be gender-neutral. Many people are pissed and happy about this.

Canada anthem: http://www.metrolyrics.com...

They want to change"true patriot love in all thy sons command' to 'true patriot love in all of us command'

Do you agree with the change?

Me personally, I like the idea being gender neutral but it shouldn't be our main concern. There is a lot of problems in Canada that needs to be focused on before this. Our taxes should go to more important things like the homeless for example.
1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 6:53:09 PM
At 6/17/2016 6:34:27 PM, PurpleEatter wrote:
They want to change"true patriot love in all thy sons command' to 'true patriot love in all of us command'

Whoa, whoa, whoa -- someone messed up in a very problematic, micro-aggressive sort of way.

How could they possibly describe anything containing the word "patriot" as "gender-neutral"? "Patriot" shares the same etymological roots as "patriarchy", which of course is the institutionalized marginalization of all women and non-cis persons by white males and their privilege. I am literally shaking right now. Also, you're a sexist.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 6:57:28 PM
Ya, so there been a lot of talk about Canada anthem that should be gender-neutral. Many people are pissed and happy about this.

Me personally, I like the idea being gender neutral but it shouldn't be our main concern. There is a lot of problems in Canada that needs to be focused on before this. Our taxes should go to more important things like the homeless for example.

It should be "daughters".
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
PurpleEatter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 7:00:14 PM
At 6/17/2016 6:53:09 PM, 1Percenter wrote:

Whoa, whoa, whoa -- someone messed up in a very problematic, micro-aggressive sort of way.

How could they possibly describe anything containing the word "patriot" as "gender-neutral"? "Patriot" shares the same etymological roots as "patriarchy", which of course is the institutionalized marginalization of all women and non-cis persons by white males and their privilege. I am literally shaking right now. Also, you're a sexist.

Please tell me how I am a sexist? I like the idea of anthem being gender neutral but don't think it's the most important problem in Canada.
1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 7:07:38 PM
At 6/17/2016 7:00:14 PM, PurpleEatter wrote:

Please tell me how I am a sexist? I like the idea of anthem being gender neutral but don't think it's the most important problem in Canada.

I was being facetious.
PurpleEatter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 7:10:11 PM
At 6/17/2016 7:07:38 PM, 1Percenter wrote:
At 6/17/2016 7:00:14 PM, PurpleEatter wrote:

I was being facetious.

okay then...
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 7:26:52 PM

Yeah, I don't think you really understand the point of the change.
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 7:38:20 PM
I grew up with the line "thy son's" in mind, so I'd probably stick with that regardless of the outcome of the bill.

It is quite frankly a meaninglessly trivial and somewhat bothersome change. If it's not broken, don't fix it.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 7:50:37 PM
At 6/17/2016 7:26:52 PM, Ramshutu wrote:

According to OP the point is to become gender-neutral. What else is there to understand?
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 7:55:21 PM
At 6/17/2016 7:50:37 PM, 1Percenter wrote:
At 6/17/2016 7:26:52 PM, Ramshutu wrote:

According to OP the point is to become gender-neutral. What else is there to understand?

The entire context of the political conversation, it seems from your reply.
PurpleEatter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 8:05:04 PM
At 6/17/2016 7:38:20 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
I grew up with the line "thy son's" in mind, so I'd probably stick with that regardless of the outcome of the bill.

It is quite frankly a meaninglessly trivial and somewhat bothersome change. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

I agree with that. I have no problem with the whole gender neutral anthem.. just meaningless. :)
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 8:26:32 PM

I'm so happy and mind-blown that Canada's politicians have worked so hard to pass such an important and pressing bill, which will change the shape of the nation.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
PurpleEatter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 8:36:53 PM
At 6/17/2016 8:26:32 PM, tajshar2k wrote:

I'm so happy and mind-blown that Canada's politicians have worked so hard to pass such an important and pressing bill, which will change the shape of the nation.
glad that you're happy about it. :)
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 9:00:39 PM
At 6/17/2016 8:36:53 PM, PurpleEatter wrote:
At 6/17/2016 8:26:32 PM, tajshar2k wrote:

glad that you're happy about it. :)

I hope you know that's sarcasm...
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 12:39:32 AM

We have to learn new words in the anthem...AGAIN!!! Blame the God Damn*d feminists.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 2:15:19 AM

I have two aunts that are Canadian, and by extension, a bunch of cousins that are Canadian, but don't really care. If a song says "my sons" or "all of us" it doesn't change the rights. No one is being harmed by the words in a song.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 2:57:55 AM

I don't see any gender specific lines:

Oh Canada, oh Canada,
Your capitals is Ottawa
From Edmonton
To Halifax
You're filled with beavers
And lumberjacks
Oh Canada, oh Canada,
Your capital is Ottawa
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 3:12:56 AM
At 6/18/2016 2:57:55 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I don't see any gender specific lines:

Oh Canada, oh Canada,
Your capitals is Ottawa
From Edmonton
To Halifax
You're filled with beavers
And lumberjacks
Oh Canada, oh Canada,
Your capital is Ottawa

I'm not a lumberjack-must be the only male who's not. The other half of the population is definitely beaver.
ofmega
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 7:12:18 AM
Just get rid of that song and replace it with something else, How about " Hockey Night In Canada" ?