Jump to topic:

Conscientious objector against Trump

Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2016 11:04:21 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
How do you feel about Republican delegates taking conscientious objector status against Trump. Does it negate primary votes from the public? Discuss.

https://www.yahoo.com...
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2016 11:09:24 PM
If they have an objection to voting for the candidate they are bound to choose based on the way their style voted there is an easy out: resign as a delegate and let someone else be appointed. This ain't Vietnam
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2016 11:09:38 PM
At 6/19/2016 11:09:24 PM, thett3 wrote:
If they have an objection to voting for the candidate they are bound to choose based on the way their state voted there is an easy out: resign as a delegate and let someone else be appointed. This ain't Vietnam

Fixed
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

OlaNordmann
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2016 11:18:52 PM
This is outrages! I've never understood the purpose of delegates in the first place, but now I do. If pledged delegates can "opt" out and choose as they wish aren't primaries completely pointless? Democracy my a**.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2016 11:58:58 PM
If they have an objection to voting for the candidate they are bound to choose based on the way their style voted there is an easy out: resign as a delegate and let someone else be appointed. This ain't Vietnam

The best possible outcome for the convention - for Clinton - is to get Trump. This however, IS the last chance for the GOP to save any bit of dignity.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 12:00:48 AM
At 6/19/2016 11:58:58 PM, TBR wrote:

The best possible outcome for the convention - for Clinton - is to get Trump. This however, IS the last chance for the GOP to save any bit of dignity.

I'm sure the GOP base is very concerned with your opinion of their dignity
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 12:03:09 AM
At 6/20/2016 12:00:48 AM, thett3 wrote:

I'm sure the GOP base is very concerned with your opinion of their dignity

Thett, they ARE. They really are!
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 12:18:27 AM
At 6/19/2016 11:18:52 PM, OlaNordmann wrote:
This is outrages! I've never understood the purpose of delegates in the first place, but now I do. If pledged delegates can "opt" out and choose as they wish aren't primaries completely pointless? Democracy my a**.

I totally agree. I can't stand Trump, but he did get the primary votes needed to be the candidate, the delegates, up until now, have been bound by the will of the voters.
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 12:20:51 AM

What kind of dignity will they keep or regain by the delegates bowing out? Won't all those who voted for Trump go on the war path?
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 12:32:36 AM
At 6/19/2016 11:04:21 PM, Peepette wrote:
How do you feel about Republican delegates taking conscientious objector status against Trump. Does it negate primary votes from the public? Discuss.

I think it is fine for people to object. The rules are the same for everyone. If any of the candidates is a big enough lunatic, that it forces delegates to be conscientious objectors, you do not get the votes. This would be a check and balance to stop people (like trump) who pander, fear monger and make empty promises.
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 12:42:53 AM
At 6/20/2016 12:32:36 AM, twocupcakes wrote:

I think it is fine for people to object. The rules are the same for everyone. If any of the candidates is a big enough lunatic, that it forces delegates to be conscientious objectors, you do not get the votes. This would be a check and balance to stop people (like trump) who pander, fear monger and make empty promises.

How do you feel the Trump voter's will take development? I do agree Trump is the worst thing to happen in politics, a misogynistic, bigoted beast who cannot implement any of his so called plans
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 12:47:48 AM
At 6/20/2016 12:42:53 AM, Peepette wrote:

How do you feel the Trump voter's will take development? I do agree Trump is the worst thing to happen in politics, a misogynistic, bigoted beast who cannot implement any of his so called plans

I think that Trump's voters were angry at the system and anointed him the "savior" without vetting him. Trump supporters will be mad, but in the end ousting Trump would be better for everyone (including Trump supporters). Trump's false image cannot last forever and eventually his campaign will come crashing down like a house of cards. The only question is will the Republican party crash with Trump as well?
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 12:48:05 AM
At 6/20/2016 12:20:51 AM, Peepette wrote:

What kind of dignity will they keep or regain by the delegates bowing out? Won't all those who voted for Trump go on the war path?

Sure the Trump faithful will go crazy. The GOP, the rational men and women that make-up the majority (and I mean MAJORITY) of the party want nothing to do with this freak-show.

I have plenty of republican friends and associates. They, almost all, are horrified by where their party is.
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 1:00:54 AM
At 6/20/2016 12:47:48 AM, twocupcakes wrote:

I think that Trump's voters were angry at the system and anointed him the "savior" without vetting him. Trump supporters will be mad, but in the end ousting Trump would be better for everyone (including Trump supporters). Trump's false image cannot last forever and eventually his campaign will come crashing down like a house of cards. The only question is will the Republican party crash with Trump as well?

I feel it's an ethical dilemma. Voters did make their wishes known and the party delegates are bound to reflect the will of the people. In light of this Trump development, I hope that a formal vetting process would be put in place to keep " his kind" from running for office again. But, this is also problematic. Having the parties choose who can or cannot run in a country where supposedly any natural born citizen of the age of 35 is eligible to run. Technically, a 35 year old high school drop out can legally seek office. We already have a corrupt political system, it could be corrupted even further via party vetting.
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 1:05:41 AM
At 6/20/2016 12:48:05 AM, TBR wrote:

Sure the Trump faithful will go crazy. The GOP, the rational men and women that make-up the majority (and I mean MAJORITY) of the party want nothing to do with this freak-show.

I have plenty of republican friends and associates. They, almost all, are horrified by where their party is.

I agree Trump is not representative of the party, but to circumvent voter will is not the democratic process. How can they justify negation of a candidate, and how can they introduce a new candidate not part of the primary process?
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 1:06:37 AM
At 6/20/2016 1:00:54 AM, Peepette wrote:
At 6/20/2016 12:47:48 AM, twocupcakes wrote:

I feel it's an ethical dilemma. Voters did make their wishes known and the party delegates are bound to reflect the will of the people. In light of this Trump development, I hope that a formal vetting process would be put in place to keep " his kind" from running for office again. But, this is also problematic. Having the parties choose who can or cannot run in a country where supposedly any natural born citizen of the age of 35 is eligible to run. Technically, a 35 year old high school drop out can legally seek office. We already have a corrupt political system, it could be corrupted even further via party vetting.

Trump says over 35, but he acts like a 11 year old. If Trump can be their nominee than an immature middle schooler can be their nominee, and I am pretty sure an immature middle schooler cannot be their nominee.

The Republican party is an organization that is free to make and change its rules. It would be questionable to do this if Trump won the general, but this is not the general. A party is free to change its rules, and there is good reason to change rules given that Trump is the presumptive nominee.
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 1:10:54 AM

The delegates were hand picked from the party. What are they all going to do resign and have the party pick new delegates that will vote for a candidate that was not a finisher of the primary process? This is this issue with the sitting delegates, they can't or won't vote Trump.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 1:13:07 AM
At 6/20/2016 1:05:41 AM, Peepette wrote:
At 6/20/2016 12:48:05 AM, TBR wrote:

I agree Trump is not representative of the party, but to circumvent voter will is not the democratic process. How can they justify negation of a candidate, and how can they introduce a new candidate not part of the primary process?

Because this is the party's nominee. Look, I have been arguing this with democrats too as it related to super delegates. This is the PARTYS choice, not necessary the peoples. It is NOT necessary undemocratic for the party to pick who they want.

Now. There are plenty of arguments for the other side. The people OF the party choose etc. Just registering republican to vote in a primary, or not even registering - open primary's. I don't know... I DO think the party has some overriding say in who they want to run. That is the way it was for a very long time. This entire primary stuff is not that old.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 1:13:09 AM
At 6/20/2016 1:10:54 AM, Peepette wrote:

The delegates were hand picked from the party. What are they all going to do resign and have the party pick new delegates that will vote for a candidate that was not a finisher of the primary process? This is this issue with the sitting delegates, they can't or won't vote Trump.

That is not how the delegate selection process works.

If they are bound to vote for Trump and they don't feel comfortable with it, they can resign their position and a delegate who has no objection can be appointed. If they're unbound they can already vote for whoever they want.

It's not a conscientious objection if you're free to leave at any time--plenty of people *want* to be delegates.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 1:20:32 AM

I'm pretty sure Republicans threw conscientious objectors to the Vietnam War in prison with the reasoning that there was no such thing.
Tsar of DDO
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 1:23:47 AM
At 6/20/2016 1:13:09 AM, thett3 wrote:

If they are bound to vote for Trump and they don't feel comfortable with it, they can resign their position and a delegate who has no objection can be appointed. If they're unbound they can already vote for whoever they want.

It's not a conscientious objection if you're free to leave at any time--plenty of people *want* to be delegates.

As with other comment made on the thread, the consensus is the Rep party does have the power and could vote against Trump for the Rep party candidacy. Assuming this occurs along with the Dem rigging the primaries with super delegates, why have primaries in the first place? All the debates and money spent really is for nothing more than a media parade for the American public; their input has 0 value in the end. True?
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 1:24:39 AM

You do know the actual rules have not been set yet. They COULD change the rule however they like BEFORE the first vote. They COULD say, "bound delegates are not required to vote for ...." whatever. That is very possible.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 1:28:28 AM
At 6/20/2016 1:23:47 AM, Peepette wrote:

As with other comment made on the thread, the consensus is the Rep party does have the power and could vote against Trump for the Rep party candidacy. Assuming this occurs along with the Dem rigging the primaries with super delegates, why have primaries in the first place? All the debates and money spent really is for nothing more than a media parade for the American public; their input has 0 value in the end. True?

They're not going to do it. As a private organization they have the right to amend their rules and as private citizens voters have the right to punish them for it.

It isn't going to happen. This is chatter
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 1:36:42 AM
At 6/20/2016 1:28:28 AM, thett3 wrote:

They're not going to do it. As a private organization they have the right to amend their rules and as private citizens voters have the right to punish them for it.

Maybe so, but having Trump as a candidate is a big turd on the Republican party's face. It would be very hard to see them survive this or spin it to their advantage.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 1:40:32 AM
At 6/20/2016 1:28:28 AM, thett3 wrote:

Might not, but the convention is going to be a disaster. Trump supporters will come out telling everyone how super-awesome it was, while the world giggles or frets.

Trump is a big party for YOU right now. Its all negatives for the actual party, and the sure loss to come.
vortex86
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 12:41:06 PM

This is reminiscent of Kim Davis whom people said was appointed to a position and has a duty to fulfill. I'd say the same holds true to the delegates. If anything, this will only bolster Trump's campaign. Further fueling the anti-establishment politics.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 8:22:33 PM

But then the GOP will be just like the party that Killed Bernie with the rigged delegates....
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 9:33:12 PM
At 6/20/2016 8:22:33 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

But then the GOP will be just like the party that Killed Bernie with the rigged delegates....

It is not rigged it is a check and balance. This is not a general election. Parties can choose their nominee by whatever means they want. For the Dems, Hillary Clinton did win the popular vote not Bernie. If I was a superdelagate I would not have chose Hillary, and if I was a Republican I would try to oust the Man-Baby.
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 10:26:20 PM
At 6/20/2016 9:33:12 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

It is not rigged it is a check and balance. This is not a general election. Parties can choose their nominee by whatever means they want. For the Dems, Hillary Clinton did win the popular vote not Bernie. If I was a superdelagate I would not have chose Hillary, and if I was a Republican I would try to oust the Man-Baby.

In the end Shillary did get the popular vote and declared the candidate with five states still remaining in the primary. Sanders was ahead with the popular vote in 20 states, NV is still up in the air, but the delegate counts were not reflective of the popular vote in the states he won. If they had been, he might of still stood a chance in the remaining five states. Furthermore, Hillary had 440 super delegates all sewn up before the NH primary. The process on both side is a bit skewed.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com...
http://usuncut.com...
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 10:32:22 PM
At 6/20/2016 9:33:12 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

Most Republicans are against benevolent dictators in general, and are more pro populists. They do not trust the government to "do the right thing..."... checks and balances do not apply to the public at large, otherwise it will not be a Democracy anymore.