Jump to topic:

"Progressive" Stupidity on Islam

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 1:09:48 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
There is nothing peaceful about Islam. There is nothing tolerant about Islam. There is nothing compatible with Islam and civilization.

The belief that not profiling Muslims will somehow make us safer is delusory.

Nearly all terrorists are Islamic. Terror is nearly entirely unique to Islam. No other religion creates terrorists on the scale that Islam does. No other kind of terrorists have ever visited the extent of violence on the civilized world that Islam has.

Whether it is club-goers in Orlando, concert-goers in Paris, tourists in Brussels, or Jews in Tel Aviv; there is no way to escape the reality that Islam is a religion of terror and death, as it is practiced in the vast majority of the world.

Political correctness does not change the fact that Islam is a religion of terror and death.

Progressive delusions of "tolerance" and "pluralism" and "multiculturalism" do not convert Islam from a religion of terror and death to a religion of peace.

Not profiling Muslims will never make us safer. Closing the borders to all Muslims will.

A measured response to a distinct threat from a specific subgroup of people is not racist; it's reasonable, practical, and fitting. Islam is not a race, so, discriminating on the basis of religion cannot be racist.

Idiots who think Islam is a race are likely the same fools who would go on /r/news and ban people for posting factually accurate depictions of what happened in Orlando.

You cannot change reality by censoring facts or repeating bullsh!t narratives of social justice. There is no justice in being an apologist for Islamic terrorism. There is only betrayal of your civilization, your society, and your culture.

Vote Trump.
Tsar of DDO
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 1:19:34 PM
At 6/20/2016 1:09:48 PM, YYW wrote:
There is nothing peaceful about Islam. There is nothing tolerant about Islam. There is nothing compatible with Islam and civilization.

Creating a false dichotomy between the "civilized" and the ideology,culture or religion one dislikes is the first step in imperialist rhetoric. When one begins to define the values of their society as what is objectively civilized, then further feeling of justification comes in systematically hating or opposing or even somewhat different cultures. Then next thing you know people have no problems sending the solider,the bombs,the drones,et cetera, all for the purpose of "spreading civilization".
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 1:23:35 PM
I really never thought I would get to the point where I would support closing the borders to any group, and to be clear, I do not support closing the borders to all groups.

I acknowledge that this will disproportionately affect non-terrorist Muslims. This is not something that would prevent me from supporting closing the borders to Muslims.

As should be expressly clear, if I support closing the borders to Muslims, then I also support preventing nearly every single "refugee" from the Middle East from entering the United States.

When the terrorist attacks stop, then the borders can re-open. But as long as terrorism remains a real threat to the United States, the borders must close.

I also acknowledge that this will not prevent all terrorist attacks. There are home grown terrorists who continue to present real threats to our national security. This is why I support profiling Muslims who are affiliated with terrorist groups. Doing otherwise is inexcusable negligence.

The fact that any one method will not solve every problem is not a reason not to utilize that method of defense where it will likely deter or prevent some manifestations of violence. Terrorism is a complex problem requiring many solutions. Closing the borders to Muslims and monitoring Muslims who associate in any fashion with known radicals (e.g. the disgusting clerics who, just one week before the Orlando massacre, were calling on Muslims to kill gay men out of "mercy," and the people who populate their mosques) is a small step in the right direction.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 1:25:55 PM
At 6/20/2016 1:19:34 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:

Creating a false dichotomy between the "civilized" and the ideology,culture or religion one dislikes is the first step in imperialist rhetoric. When one begins to define the values of their society as what is objectively civilized, then further feeling of justification comes in systematically hating or opposing or even somewhat different cultures. Then next thing you know people have no problems sending the solider,the bombs,the drones,et cetera, all for the purpose of "spreading civilization".

That is absurd. I didn't limit the scope of civilization as you describe. China is civilized; not my culture. India is civilized; not my country. Even most of South America is civilized; also not my country.

Islam is more or less the only common denominator among the uncivilized countries of the world.

Your perspective is provably wrong.
Tsar of DDO
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 1:52:25 PM
At 6/20/2016 1:25:55 PM, YYW wrote:

That is absurd. I didn't limit the scope of civilization as you describe. China is civilized; not my culture. India is civilized; not my country. Even most of South America is civilized; also not my country.

I said culture, not country. Much of what you've defined as "civilized" earlier has more to do with the degree of similarity with Western Culture and less to do with the overall cohesion of the society itself. I will be frank, you'll be hard pressedd in trying to extract any "progressive" ideals from the Quran and Sunnah, yet that's not exclusive to Islam. You'll be equally hard pressed in trying to find any of said values in the Chinese society, or anything resembling such in Indian Society not even beginning to mention the vast Muslim populations of both countries.

Islam is more or less the only common denominator among the uncivilized countries of the world.

Scapegoating, another aspect of imperialist rhetoric and it's quasi counterparts, by trying to point out one culture (I use that very broadly in this case) as the source of all ills,while in actuality the problem most likely shares more signs of nuance. Also foolish considering that you're essentially condemning over 1.5 billion people off the actions of a vocal few. Equivalent to me calling white people barbarians on the basis of the KKK. Or calling to the complete ban of white people because of similar reasons.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 2:00:19 PM
At 6/20/2016 1:52:25 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:

I said culture, not country. Much of what you've defined as "civilized" earlier has more to do with the degree of similarity with Western Culture and less to do with the overall cohesion of the society itself. I will be frank, you'll be hard pressedd in trying to extract any "progressive" ideals from the Quran and Sunnah, yet that's not exclusive to Islam. You'll be equally hard pressed in trying to find any of said values in the Chinese society, or anything resembling such in Indian Society not even beginning to mention the vast Muslim populations of both countries.

Scapegoating, another aspect of imperialist rhetoric and it's quasi counterparts, by trying to point out one culture (I use that very broadly in this case) as the source of all ills,while in actuality the problem most likely shares more signs of nuance. Also foolish considering that you're essentially condemning over 1.5 billion people off the actions of a vocal few. Equivalent to me calling white people barbarians on the basis of the KKK. Or calling to the complete ban of white people because of similar reasons.

White people do not commit acts of terrorism in the fashion that non-white Muslims do. Your analogy fails.
Tsar of DDO
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 2:31:10 PM

Nearly all terrorists are Islamic. Terror is nearly entirely unique to Islam. No other religion creates terrorists on the scale that Islam does. No other kind of terrorists have ever visited the extent of violence on the civilized world that Islam has.

Whether it is club-goers in Orlando, concert-goers in Paris, tourists in Brussels, or Jews in Tel Aviv; there is no way to escape the reality that Islam is a religion of terror and death, as it is practiced in the vast majority of the world.

Political correctness does not change the fact that Islam is a religion of terror and death.

Progressive delusions of "tolerance" and "pluralism" and "multiculturalism" do not convert Islam from a religion of terror and death to a religion of peace.

Not profiling Muslims will never make us safer. Closing the borders to all Muslims will.

A measured response to a distinct threat from a specific subgroup of people is not racist; it's reasonable, practical, and fitting. Islam is not a race, so, discriminating on the basis of religion cannot be racist.

Idiots who think Islam is a race are likely the same fools who would go on /r/news and ban people for posting factually accurate depictions of what happened in Orlando.

You cannot change reality by censoring facts or repeating bullsh!t narratives of social justice. There is no justice in being an apologist for Islamic terrorism. There is only betrayal of your civilization, your society, and your culture.

Vote Trump.

There are 1.2bn Muslims in the world, and 3m in the US alone.

If what you're saying is true, the world would be on fire, I mean literally; the whole world would be on fire. It's not. Is everything flowers and rainbows? No: but it's orders of magnitude better than it would be if you're claims are true: a nuance that appears to be lost on you.

You're inane confirmation bias, and overly dramatic paranoia aside, the fact that this massively big problem that should be causing millions of deaths in the US alone, rates as a cause of death somewhere below "not chewing food properly before swallowing" and "peanuts"; should show you that you're wild extrapolations and over exaggerated claims are pretty wrong.

I don't think that radical Islam isn't an issue, nor do I think Islamic countries (and indeed many poor non-Islamic countries too ") are happy fun lands to live in. But there is a middle ground between "they all want to kill us, omg" and "let's embrace suicide bombers with hugs".

People like you don't appreciate that there is such a middle ground that most people hold, and this; combined with a complete lack of appreciation of scale and scope of the problem makes me think that you don't understand reality.

Indeed it is this extremist, and absolutist inability to detect nuance and complexity, and to only accept or view people disagreeing with you as one of two horrific extremes and using it to justify your own; is one of the main things you have in common with the people you hate so much; and is indeed a contributing factor to the very danger you're complaining about.

So put the crack pipe down, and we can actually talk about the reality, the causes of the problems, and talk about how we can solve them. Blaming a religion when you're so obviously wrong means that we know you're wrong before you even start.
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 4:13:59 PM
At 6/20/2016 2:00:19 PM, YYW wrote:

White people do not commit acts of terrorism in the fashion that non-white Muslims do. Your analogy fails.

The FLQ,Charleston or the recent killing of Jo Cox not ring a bell? Apparently white people are free from guilt of terrorism, it's all those damn non white Muslims fault.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 6:49:46 PM

The largest act of domestic terrorism - by a large margin - in US history was done by a white guy.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Lsumichiganfan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 7:02:04 PM

Vote Trump.

Oh crap. Another anti-Islam post
Please vote on this debate: http://www.debate.org...
"You have displayed the political understanding of a tortoise thus far in this election" -Harder
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 8:11:35 PM

Define "civilization", because I distinctly remember learning about Early Islamic Civilization in School, referring to the Early Islamic Empires.

Racial profiling doesn't work and has never worked.

The Jewish Defense League, the Ulster Defense Association, the Ulster Volunteer Force, the Army of God, Irgun, Kach, the Army of God, the Covenant, the Sword and the Arm of the Lord, the Stern Gang, Timothy McVeigh, the Order (the Neo-Nazi group), the Ku Klux Klan, etc. etc.
And ever heard of the King David Hotel Bombing, the Oklahoma City bombing, or any other terrorist attack in history.

Also, define "civilized"

So the actions of some Muslims mean that all Muslims are bad? So we should set our policy based on sweeping generalizations about one religious group with more than 1 Billion adherents?

PC is BS which doesn't exist in the real world. There is factual correctness and there is politeness, but there is no such thing as PC. You can call it socially acceptable language, but PC is nonsense.

Delusions of tolerance, pluralism, and multiculturalism? Those are not decisions, rather they are the basis for modern democratic societies.

How will that make us safe at all? There will still be criminals and other forms of political extremism. And nearly every Jihadist terrorist that has committed an attack in the US was a US born citizen. And as I have stated, racial profiling doesn't deter crime

Technically you are correct, but according to sociologists, Islamophobia is an extension of anti-Arab and anti-Asian racism.

No, they are sociologists who have spent their lives studying prejudice and bigotry.

1) Social Justice is a good thing
2) How is opposing bigotry apologizing for Islamic Terrorism?
3) Sorry if we are betraying your white utopian civilization
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 8:11:50 PM

+1
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 8:12:53 PM

Oklahoma City anyone?
And since we are talking about Orlando, do you remember exactly one year ago when a white supremacist shot up a church in South Carolina?
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 8:14:27 PM
At 6/20/2016 3:13:56 PM, vortex86 wrote:
Yeah, I don't quite understand what censoring orlando shooter transcripts that they release accomplishes..

http://www.realclearpolitics.com...

The point is to avoid copy cats, which tends to happen with these things
ThinkBig
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 8:15:18 PM
At 6/20/2016 8:12:53 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:

Oklahoma City anyone?
And since we are talking about Orlando, do you remember exactly one year ago when a white supremacist shot up a church in South Carolina?

90% of terrorist attacks in the US were carried out by NON-MUSLIMS!

http://www.globalresearch.ca...

Time to really up our surveillance and suspicion of white men. We need to start wiretapping churches for sermons of hate and radicalization!
ThinkBig
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Notable Notes and Quotable Quotes
"I GOT SIG'D"
"WELL FVCK ME IN THE A$SHOLE AND CALL ME A CUCK I GOT SIG'D AGAIN"
-Kiri
If anyone's getting modkilled, it's kiri. Just for his sig.
-7th
Need a judge or vote? Nominate me!!
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 8:17:47 PM
At 6/20/2016 8:15:18 PM, ThinkBig wrote:

Oklahoma City anyone?

Time to really up our surveillance and suspicion of white men. We need to start wiretapping churches for sermons of hate and radicalization!

Just for future reference, be careful using Global Research. Some of their stuff is okay, but they also have some looney stuff on there (climate change denial and 9/11 conspiracies). Other than that it should be fine. This one is actually true and backed up by data from
-the DHS
-the SPLC
-the FBI
-the ADL
ThinkBig
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 8:19:37 PM
At 6/20/2016 8:17:47 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:

Oklahoma City anyone?

Just for future reference, be careful using Global Research. Some of their stuff is okay, but they also have some looney stuff on there (climate change denial and 9/11 conspiracies). Other than that it should be fine. This one is actually true and backed up by data from
-the DHS
-the SPLC
-the FBI
-the ADL

Thanks.Here's a better source

http://www.start.umd.edu...
ThinkBig
"I GOT SIG'D"
-Kiri
-7th
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 8:24:06 PM
a demographic which makes up only 1% of the American population accounts for one-fourth of all deadly terror attacks in the U.S.

(and 94% of related fatalities)....
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 8:26:10 PM
At 6/20/2016 8:19:37 PM, ThinkBig wrote:

Oklahoma City anyone?

-the DHS
-the SPLC
-the FBI
-the ADL

Well that article was fine, but with global research you need to be careful
ThinkBig
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 8:26:56 PM
At 6/20/2016 8:26:10 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 6/20/2016 8:19:37 PM, ThinkBig wrote:

Oklahoma City anyone?

-the DHS
-the SPLC
-the FBI
-the ADL

Well that article was fine, but with global research you need to be careful

Thanks. Never heard of them before and didn't really explore the website too much.
ThinkBig
"I GOT SIG'D"
-Kiri
-7th
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 8:27:10 PM
At 6/20/2016 8:24:06 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
a demographic which makes up only 1% of the American population accounts for one-fourth of all deadly terror attacks in the U.S.

Can I see a citaion for that?
And see what percentage of the population are responsible for those attacks?
vortex86
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 9:17:40 PM
At 6/20/2016 8:14:27 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
Yeah, I don't quite understand what censoring orlando shooter transcripts that they release accomplishes..

To avoid copycats? That doesn't make any sense at all... You don't announce you're going to censor exactly what you censor and that somehow avoids copycats? His name and what he did/said was already made public. They censored the allah akbar phrase which isn't exactly a secret. Given the context of what they censored it's pretty obvious what was said.
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 9:28:31 PM
At 6/20/2016 9:17:40 PM, vortex86 wrote:
At 6/20/2016 8:14:27 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:

To avoid copycats? That doesn't make any sense at all... You don't announce you're going to censor exactly what you censor and that somehow avoids copycats? His name and what he did/said was already made public. They censored the allah akbar phrase which isn't exactly a secret. Given the context of what they censored it's pretty obvious what was said.

That is the usual reasoning for this stuff. If there are recordings of criminals encouraging people to commit crimes or ranting about their reasons or something of that sort they usually censor it to prevent copy cat attacks. Either that or the part of the recording that they censored was extremely disturbing and would cause greater distress for the families of the victims, or for legal reasons.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 10:27:46 PM
At 6/20/2016 8:27:10 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:

Because trying to make Muslim terrorists seem insignificant by watering the statistics down to say that a white man waving a gun around but killing nobody has the same terror impact as a person who kills 49 people.....

You can't lie to the public.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 10:34:35 PM

All you have to do is google the number of terror attacks that resulted in a death. It is not difficult.
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 10:44:17 PM
At 6/20/2016 10:27:46 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Because trying to make Muslim terrorists seem insignificant by watering the statistics down to say that a white man waving a gun around but killing nobody has the same terror impact as a person who kills 49 people.....

You can't lie to the public.

That makes zero sense. Waving a gun around is not an act of terrorism, that's my uncles average Tuesday (jk). Regardless, those statistics are still important to provide this little thing called context.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 10:50:01 PM

Step 1) pull head out

Step 2)Get some O2.

Step 3)Reformat argument to grown up land where the roses do fade, theologies are not alike, and Nazis protected by the term "religion" are commanded to espionage, infiltrate, and destroy us.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 10:51:58 PM
At 6/20/2016 10:34:35 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

All you have to do is google the number of terror attacks that resulted in a death. It is not difficult.

I just did and here is what I got.

https://www.start.umd.edu...
https://en.wikipedia.org...
www.johnstonsarchive.net/terrorism/wrjp255i.html
www.statista.com/statistics/202871/number-of-fatalities-by-terrorist-attacks-worldwide/
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3322308/Number-people-killed-terrorists-worldwide-soars-80-just-year.html
qz.com/552334/more-people-died-from-terrorism-last-year-than-ever-before-and-mostly-in-these-five-countries/
www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Terrorism/terrorstats.html
www.bbc.com/news/world-30086435
www.globalresearch.ca/the-terrorism-statistics-every-american-needs-to-hear/5382818
www.cnn.com/2015/10/02/us/oregon-shooting-terrorism-gun-violence/

None of those gave me your statistics
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 10:52:32 PM

450 of 452 suicide bombers in 2015 were Muslims. Need a citation?
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...