Jump to topic:

EU Brexit

Lsumichiganfan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 6:23:30 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
Here is an interesting video from John Oliver which I would suggest watching for all of the Brexit supporters.

https://www.youtube.com...
Please vote on this debate: http://www.debate.org...
"You have displayed the political understanding of a tortoise thus far in this election" -Harder
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 6:33:21 PM
At 6/20/2016 6:23:30 PM, Lsumichiganfan wrote:
Here is an interesting video from John Oliver which I would suggest watching for all of the Brexit supporters.

Are you trying to say the EU is a joke?
Lsumichiganfan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 6:55:38 PM
At 6/20/2016 6:33:21 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Are you trying to say the EU is a joke?

No. Have you ever watched Last Week Tonight?
"You have displayed the political understanding of a tortoise thus far in this election" -Harder
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 7:32:47 PM

It was a good bit, I must admit
Lsumichiganfan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 7:33:42 PM
At 6/20/2016 7:32:47 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:

It was a good bit, I must admit

Helped persuade me into the Stay camp. I was previously undecided on the issue and didn't have much knowledge on the referendum.
MattTheDreamer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2016 9:57:12 PM
Unfortunately a very one sided video from Jon Oliver. Doesn't even address the scaremongering campaign from remain or the idea of democracy in the EU. Either way, if you want to hear a Pro-Brexit voice to balance out the Pro-Remain video, listen to Daniel Hannan. He's a Pro-Brexit MEP, and one of the best orators I've ever seen. I've linked one of his speeches, but honestly you should look up some of his others as they are brilliant. https://www.youtube.com...
Boneyard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 2:50:51 AM
At 6/20/2016 9:57:12 PM, MattTheDreamer wrote:
Unfortunately a very one sided video from Jon Oliver. Doesn't even address the scaremongering campaign from remain or the idea of democracy in the EU. Either way, if you want to hear a Pro-Brexit voice to balance out the Pro-Remain video, listen to Daniel Hannan. He's a Pro-Brexit MEP, and one of the best orators I've ever seen. I've linked one of his speeches, but honestly you should look up some of his others as they are brilliant. https://www.youtube.com...

I was wondering as you are a Brexit supporter how you feel about the claim of scaremongering you made against the remain campaign now after 5 days of chaos and all those scaremongering predictions bore fruit?
MattTheDreamer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 6:09:55 AM
At 6/29/2016 2:50:51 AM, Boneyard wrote:

I was wondering as you are a Brexit supporter how you feel about the claim of scaremongering you made against the remain campaign now after 5 days of chaos and all those scaremongering predictions bore fruit?

Well, so far hardly any of their claims have come true. The only one I can think that might be true is the economic downturn, but even that wasn't as major as predicted and will likely recover in the next few months. The world hasn't ended and we're not at war with Europe, so project fear hasn't come true yet.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 6:21:33 AM

The only scaremongering was Obama lying to the UK saying the US would refuse to trade with the UK over the EU...

People in power love to scare....
Boneyard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 6:32:02 AM
At 6/29/2016 6:21:33 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

The only scaremongering was Obama lying to the UK saying the US would refuse to trade with the UK over the EU...

Except Obama never did that. He said a deal with the EU (TTIP) was more important to the US than a deal with Britain and so Britain would move to the bottom of the pile.
Happy to correct you ;-)
Boneyard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 6:38:54 AM
At 6/29/2016 6:09:55 AM, MattTheDreamer wrote:

Well, so far hardly any of their claims have come true. The only one I can think that might be true is the economic downturn, but even that wasn't as major as predicted and will likely recover in the next few months. The world hasn't ended and we're not at war with Europe, so project fear hasn't come true yet.

Surely you jest sir. The alienation of the UK as predicted is happening. 3 trillion off the world markets in 5 days as predicted. Racial tensions increasing as predicted. Europe taking a hard line with Britain over a future deal as predicted. Farage and Boris shown to be liars as predicted. All these predictions coming to fruition and yet you continue the brexit mantra of... it will be alright.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 6:45:43 AM
At 6/29/2016 6:32:02 AM, Boneyard wrote:

Except Obama never did that. He said a deal with the EU (TTIP) was more important to the US than a deal with Britain and so Britain would move to the bottom of the pile.
Happy to correct you ;-)

He said back of the cue.. That means he said the UK would have to wait for a trade deal. (a lie)
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 6:47:11 AM
At 6/29/2016 6:38:54 AM, Boneyard wrote:

Surely you jest sir. The alienation of the UK as predicted is happening. 3 trillion off the world markets in 5 days as predicted. Racial tensions increasing as predicted. Europe taking a hard line with Britain over a future deal as predicted. Farage and Boris shown to be liars as predicted. All these predictions coming to fruition and yet you continue the brexit mantra of... it will be alright.

You must be a highly paid shill.
MattTheDreamer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 10:29:28 AM
At 6/29/2016 6:47:11 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

+1
Boneyard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 3:49:54 AM
At 6/29/2016 6:47:11 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

Well of coarse I am. Im typing this on my deepblue super computer sat on my 300 foot luxury yacht anchored off the coast of St Tropes.

Do you have any other ad homs you want to impart or are you done and want to comment on what I wrote?
ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 5:03:04 AM
At 6/29/2016 6:09:55 AM, MattTheDreamer wrote:

Surely you jest sir. The alienation of the UK as predicted is happening.
There is no indication of this.
3 trillion off the world markets in 5 days as predicted.
This is temporary, the natural state of reactive markets. The market placed their bet on the remain camp and lost. If the market would have bet on leave and lost the result would have seen the same.
Racial tensions increasing as predicted.
What you refer to as "racial tension" has been escalating since the mass exodus from Africa and the Middle East to Europe, not new.
Europe taking a hard line with Britain over a future deal as predicted.
Not true the EU wants to handle it as quickly and quietly as possible to prevent other groups with nationalist ideals from gaining momentum. Listen to statements from Merkel, Hollande and others.
Farage and Boris shown to be liars as predicted.
Recognize the political hypocrisy on both side of an issue not just one. This is politics
All these predictions coming to fruition and yet you continue the brexit mantra of...
Revisit this in a couple years, 5 days is ignorantly short sighted consider the amount of work ahead related to Brexit
it will be alright.
Damn right!!
As funny and informative John Oliver is. He is not without bias for the sake of entertainment
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
Boneyard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 6:57:28 AM
3 trillion off the world markets in 5 days as predicted.
This is temporary, the natural state of reactive markets. The market placed their bet on the remain camp and lost. If the market would have bet on leave and lost the result would have seen the same.

Why do you brush this off as temporary when financial institutes say the opposite. The prediction is recession for the short term followed by zero to low growth for the medium term. And this does not take into account further turmoil following the ratification of article 50. British credit rating being downgraded exasperates the decline. AS PREDICTED by remain.

Racial tensions increasing as predicted.
What you refer to as "racial tension" has been escalating since the mass exodus from Africa and the Middle East to Europe, not new.

Racial tensions, hate crime call it what you will is a persistent problem granted. Brexit has given carte blanch to the racist elements and the numbers of incidents have increased to such levels that money is being allocated to British police forces to combat this rise. AS PREDICTED by remain.

Europe taking a hard line with Britain over a future deal as predicted.
Not true the EU wants to handle it as quickly and quietly as possible to prevent other groups with nationalist ideals from gaining momentum. Listen to statements from Merkel, Hollande and others.

Combating nationalist ideals quickly and quietly will not combat nationalistic ideals. I've been listening to statements but from what you say I have no confidence that you have. Merkel has stated there will be no special deal for Britain, so has Juncker how much clearer do you need it?

Farage and Boris shown to be liars as predicted.
Recognize the political hypocrisy on both side of an issue not just one. This is politics
All these predictions coming to fruition and yet you continue the brexit mantra of...
Revisit this in a couple years, 5 days is ignorantly short sighted consider the amount of work ahead related to Brexit

Lies, lies and damned lies. They have been found out in spectacular fashion. The loses are going to be as equally spectacular.

I would like it if one of you brexiters had the balls to hold your hand up and say, we got it wrong.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 11:38:01 AM
At 6/29/2016 6:45:43 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

Happy to correct you ;-)

He said back of the cue.. That means he said the UK would have to wait for a trade deal. (a lie)

Maybe we should negotiate a union with the UK. The United States and Kingdoms. It would be a big fight whether state or kingdom comes first.
someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 9:46:40 PM
john oliver is jon stewart lite.

who was overrated himself.

suffices to say, he's missing the point here too.
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 10:37:25 PM
At 6/30/2016 11:38:01 AM, slo1 wrote:

Happy to correct you ;-)

Maybe we should negotiate a union with the UK. The United States and Kingdoms. It would be a big fight whether state or kingdom comes first.

England will now draw closer with the Commonwealth countries.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 12:24:00 AM
At 6/30/2016 10:37:25 PM, lotsoffun wrote:

Happy to correct you ;-)

That is where their immigration woes started, Pakistan, Bangladesh, etc.
lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 1:33:50 AM
At 7/1/2016 12:24:00 AM, slo1 wrote:
At 6/30/2016 10:37:25 PM, lotsoffun wrote:

Happy to correct you ;-)

That is where their immigration woes started, Pakistan, Bangladesh, etc.

I'm talking about the Anglo countries; Canada, Australia and New Zealand, as well as India.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 1:45:03 AM
At 6/30/2016 9:46:40 PM, someloser wrote:

If aliens came down and saw either of them first, they would leave as they would conclude that intelligent life doesn't exist on this planet.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Danimal4NU
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2016 4:34:22 PM
At 6/30/2016 9:46:40 PM, someloser wrote:

The Daily Show and its three kids are one big ideological circlejerk that only gets broken when a ratings-getter guest does an interview with the host.

Stewart got on my nerves. He was good with how his news-based political show influenced public opinion and that his viewers felt informed but would play the "it's just entertainment" card if he was ever called-out on the show's agenda-driven content. I can't say I'm a big fan of Fox News myself but I found Stewart's stance on it hypocritical when he himself was part of the left's mainstream media machine and he never called-out left bias in the news.