Jump to topic:

Is Islam Inherently More Violent?

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 12:30:24 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
I would suggest that it's not Islam which has given rise to "barbaric death cultures." Islam has merely become a pretext for some to engage in violence--violence which would've found a different pretext were Islam not present.

The violence is, many scholars believe, a reaction to feeling pressures from the West and a loss of cultural identity. This feeling of loss of identity has given rise to a movement that has gone far beyond the identity it is trying to preserve in its backlash against everything Western. In this sense, Western cultural encroachment is a kind of "thesis," and radical Islam is the "antithesis" it has begotten, and I am sure than in time a synthesis of the two will emerge. Indonesia has, for instance, done a relatively good job at making progress in that regard.

There is also the fact that radicalization is also, among Western Muslims, a reaction to anti-Muslim, anti-Immigrant, anti-Diversity sentiment which they encounter in their adoptive societies. Feeling unwanted, isolated, persecuted, or otherized, they turn to often welcoming and sympathetic radical groups which co-opt them into their ranks. Many others may not just be social outcasts, but economically disadvantaged. This is a psychological and sociological factor that is giving rise to the problem; in these cases, it is not Islam itself which is to blame.

I would also hypothesize that at least some of the violence is generated by the stoking of long-held ethnic or tribal disputes, rather than by religion alone.

That is not to deny that there are people who genuinely believe in their violent view of Islam, and whose turn toward jihadism is a result of that fervent belief, not of factors outside the faith. But, I don't think these people comprise the majority, and I think that Islam is not *inherently* more prone to extremism than other religions. Instead, I think a conflagration of social, psychological, economic, and cultural factors have created the perfect storm to infect the faith and to use that infection to drive people towards violence.

Thoughts? Comments? Reactions? Is Islam inherently more violent than other faiths, or is this a recent or temporary phenomenon produced by a combination of factors?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Lsumichiganfan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 12:44:53 AM
At 6/21/2016 12:30:24 AM, bsh1 wrote:
I would suggest that it's not Islam which has given rise to "barbaric death cultures." Islam has merely become a pretext for some to engage in violence--violence which would've found a different pretext were Islam not present.

The violence is, many scholars believe, a reaction to feeling pressures from the West and a loss of cultural identity. This feeling of loss of identity has given rise to a movement that has gone far beyond the identity it is trying to preserve in its backlash against everything Western. In this sense, Western cultural encroachment is a kind of "thesis," and radical Islam is the "antithesis" it has begotten, and I am sure than in time a synthesis of the two will emerge. Indonesia has, for instance, done a relatively good job at making progress in that regard.

There is also the fact that radicalization is also, among Western Muslims, a reaction to anti-Muslim, anti-Immigrant, anti-Diversity sentiment which they encounter in their adoptive societies. Feeling unwanted, isolated, persecuted, or otherized, they turn to often welcoming and sympathetic radical groups which co-opt them into their ranks. Many others may not just be social outcasts, but economically disadvantaged. This is a psychological and sociological factor that is giving rise to the problem; in these cases, it is not Islam itself which is to blame.

I would also hypothesize that at least some of the violence is generated by the stoking of long-held ethnic or tribal disputes, rather than by religion alone.

That is not to deny that there are people who genuinely believe in their violent view of Islam, and whose turn toward jihadism is a result of that fervent belief, not of factors outside the faith. But, I don't think these people comprise the majority, and I think that Islam is not *inherently* more prone to extremism than other religions. Instead, I think a conflagration of social, psychological, economic, and cultural factors have created the perfect storm to infect the faith and to use that infection to drive people towards violence.

Thoughts? Comments? Reactions? Is Islam inherently more violent than other faiths, or is this a recent or temporary phenomenon produced by a combination of factors?

I don't think Islam is Inherently more violent. I just think that radicals that claim they know something about Islam are pissed at Americans and Globalization. They want to be in control. Islam wasn't always the 'Breeding ground" for these terrorists. It has in my opinion been more suspect to radicalization because Muslims typically live in the Middle East where conditions are obviously ripe for uprisings. And, that there are 1.3 billion Muslims globally thus there will be some few bad one's here and there.

Overall, I think Islam could be improved with it's gay and women stances. But, the answer to hate isn't hate and that is something so many have forgotten.
Please vote on this debate: http://www.debate.org...
"You have displayed the political understanding of a tortoise thus far in this election" -Harder
Lsumichiganfan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 12:48:29 AM

I am also really sick of all these Anti-Islam posts... People need to chill out and stop hating and start talking about reasonable solutions to stop an attack like this again. (That reasonable solution is not banning Muslims from entering the United States)
"You have displayed the political understanding of a tortoise thus far in this election" -Harder
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 12:50:10 AM
At 6/21/2016 12:48:29 AM, Lsumichiganfan wrote:
I am also really sick of all these Anti-Islam posts... People need to chill out and stop hating.

+1
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

Lsumichiganfan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 12:51:53 AM
At 6/21/2016 12:50:10 AM, bsh1 wrote:
I am also really sick of all these Anti-Islam posts... People need to chill out and stop hating.

+1

I have decided I will just not respond to the Islam haters anymore. I just seriously can't take it.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 12:52:19 AM
At 6/21/2016 12:51:53 AM, Lsumichiganfan wrote:

+1

I have decided I will just not respond to the Islam haters anymore. I just seriously can't take it.

I can understand that sentiment.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Lsumichiganfan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 12:54:43 AM
At 6/21/2016 12:52:19 AM, bsh1 wrote:

+1

I can understand that sentiment.

Not because they are easy to deal with. Just because I need to stop wasting my time responding to statements that are filled with hate and bigotry. I usually can't knock sense to anyone being a random young kid in Michigan. Especially when they are filled with Islamophobia.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 12:57:23 AM
Violence within Islam is religious politics, mostly. So you could it gives rise to violence in that respect.

As for Salafist and Islamist violence towards westerners, it's an incompatibility between those radical positions and western democracy. Unfortunately, some ME countries breed a lot of those two ideologies.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Geographia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 1:00:33 AM

+1

Fully expected you to live in Dearborn.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 1:01:45 AM
At 6/21/2016 12:57:23 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Violence within Islam is religious politics, mostly.

I think even that is an oversimplification of just how complex the rise of radical Islam is and has been. It's not mere conflict between faiths, nor merely religiously motivated politics.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 1:09:13 AM
At 6/21/2016 1:01:45 AM, bsh1 wrote:

I think even that is an oversimplification of just how complex the rise of radical Islam is and has been. It's not mere conflict between faiths, nor merely religiously motivated politics.

Saying Islam is a religion of peace is an oversimplification as well.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 1:11:27 AM
At 6/21/2016 1:09:13 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

Saying Islam is a religion of peace is an oversimplification as well.

But, you will notice that I never said that, so lets not address strawmans. I don't think there is such a thing as a "religion of peace."
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 1:15:44 AM
The Islamic faith like Judaism and Christianity, is like a vitamin.....You take too much you become sick. Islam has contributed to the world in a positive way. Because of Islam we have Greek philosophy because without their seeking of knowledge of Greek philosophy, much of the Aristotelian writings and Platonic writings would be lost.
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 1:23:34 AM
The average Muslim is probably less violent than the average American. Now I am talking about a typical Muslim who lives in a peaceful place. Their opinions on killing people and violence are similar to Christians. However the Muslim fundamentalist extremists are so violent they close the gap between us and them, so Islam as a whole may be more violent.
However ,If we have to defend ourselves we will show them what real terror is like.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 1:24:22 AM
At 6/21/2016 1:15:44 AM, Hiu wrote:
The Islamic faith like Judaism and Christianity, is like a vitamin.....You take too much you become sick. Islam has contributed to the world in a positive way. Because of Islam we have Greek philosophy because without their seeking of knowledge of Greek philosophy, much of the Aristotelian writings and Platonic writings would be lost.

I agree.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 4:49:12 AM

To put it a bit too simply so as not to write a book here:

Monotheism is inherently more violent than polytheism because it engenders a "my way or the highway" type of ideology. With a sole supreme being, it is "His way or the evil way." That makes Judaism, Christianity, and Islam inherently more violent and judgmental than polytheistic or non-theistic religions, such as Buddhism.

Christianity and Islam believe in an afterlife, both joyous and tormented depending, and subscribe to eschatology (end time theology) though, whereas Judaism is much more open and varied there. These doctrines make the next life more important than this one and the predicted future more important than the present, and this rationalizes many violent courses of action. Therefore, Christianity and Islam are inherently more violent than Judaism.

Christianity and Judaism have largely benefitted from the progress made during the Enlightenment, whereas Islam has backslided from its golden age. Therefor, Islam is more violent in the present day than either Christianity or Judaism.
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 7:05:16 AM
At 6/21/2016 4:49:12 AM, Fly wrote:
Therefor, Islam is more violent in the present day than either Christianity or Judaism.

Perhaps, but that's not the claim I am making. I would wager, based on the gist of your post, that you agree Islam is not "inherently* more dangerous than other religions.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 7:22:11 AM

Within Islam. Example: https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 7:25:27 AM
At 6/21/2016 7:22:11 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

"Nor merely religiously motivated politics." I still think it's an oversimplification, and misses quite a vast array of other significant contributors. It's nice to just assume that Islam is imploding due to internal issues within the faith, but this misses the complexity of the situation.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 7:36:42 AM
At 6/21/2016 7:25:27 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 6/21/2016 7:22:11 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

"Nor merely religiously motivated politics." I still think it's an oversimplification, and misses quite a vast array of other significant contributors. It's nice to just assume that Islam is imploding due to internal issues within the faith, but this misses the complexity of the situation.

The internal issues of Islam worsen the political situation, and arguments can be made that they cause certain ones, like the example I gave.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Rukado
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 8:30:10 AM
Yes, Islam is inherently more violent.

Look at how easily Muslims can be baited into fighting each other (many Muslim countries have a great deal of Muslim vs. Muslim violence).

What other religion has spawned an industry of suicide bombers?

What other religion teaches forced conversion or extra taxes for others?

American Muslims are less violent than our native terrorists <cough>African Americans</cough>, but I suggest that's a temporary condition. When their confidence goes up, so will their violence.

The only religion that's a greater threat to America is Talmudic Judaism, which practically controls both the Democrat and Republican parties, contrasted to Islam which controls nothing in America.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 1:24:21 PM

The problems with Islam are manifold. The biggest ones are born of attempts to 'Westernize' the Middle East after the fall of the Ottoman Empire, which destroyed the traditional institutions which suppressed literalism and revivalism. Then the partition of the Middle East, and the rulers which Europe supported, further lead to an increased radicalist influence. The result has been a religion which has basically lost control of itself, with traditional regulating forces pushed to the sidelines while the lunatics run the asylum. This won't change as long as the Middle East remains a hotbed of proxy conflicts, as this sort of fragmentation and chaos is in the best interests of all of the world powers (it aids them in projecting power).
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Lsumichiganfan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 1:50:29 PM
At 6/21/2016 1:00:33 AM, Geographia wrote:

+1

Fully expected you to live in Dearborn.

No. I don't live in Dearborn I live North of Detroit lots of Christians but when I go to Auburn Hills you see some Muslims here and there.
Lsumichiganfan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 1:53:40 PM
At 6/21/2016 8:30:10 AM, Rukado wrote:

American Muslims are less violent than our native terrorists <cough>African Americans</cough>, but I suggest that's a temporary condition. When their confidence goes up, so will their violence.

The only religion that's a greater threat to America is Talmudic Judaism, which practically controls both the Democrat and Republican parties, contrasted to Islam which controls nothing in America.

Wow, that comment was by far the stupidest comment I have ever seen on DDO. I hope you do realize that more Whites per capita are on Welfare? Than Blacks? And, that whites commit more crimes than blacks? Seriously, that comment wasn't just rude it was racist.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 2:07:12 PM
At 6/21/2016 7:05:16 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Therefor, Islam is more violent in the present day than either Christianity or Judaism.

Perhaps, but that's not the claim I am making. I would wager, based on the gist of your post, that you agree Islam is not "inherently* more dangerous than other religions.

Well, I just detailed how it IS more inherently violent than other religions, along with Christianity. Perhaps you mean to say that I left it uncertain as to whether it is more inherently violent than Christianity? In that case, compare the example set by Jesus to the example set by Muhammad.
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 4:59:06 PM

Or it could have been the Quranic sura that promised eternal life in Jannah(heaven) if you kill nonmuslims.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 5:08:05 PM
At 6/21/2016 1:24:21 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

The problems with Islam are manifold. The biggest ones are born of attempts to 'Westernize' the Middle East after the fall of the Ottoman Empire, which destroyed the traditional institutions which suppressed literalism and revivalism. Then the partition of the Middle East, and the rulers which Europe supported, further lead to an increased radicalist influence. The result has been a religion which has basically lost control of itself, with traditional regulating forces pushed to the sidelines while the lunatics run the asylum. This won't change as long as the Middle East remains a hotbed of proxy conflicts, as this sort of fragmentation and chaos is in the best interests of all of the world powers (it aids them in projecting power).

Yup. Every word.
Lsumichiganfan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 5:10:24 PM

To put it a bit too simply so as not to write a book here:

Monotheism is inherently more violent than polytheism because it engenders a "my way or the highway" type of ideology. With a sole supreme being, it is "His way or the evil way." That makes Judaism, Christianity, and Islam inherently more violent and judgmental than polytheistic or non-theistic religions, such as Buddhism.

Christianity and Islam believe in an afterlife, both joyous and tormented depending, and subscribe to eschatology (end time theology) though, whereas Judaism is much more open and varied there. These doctrines make the next life more important than this one and the predicted future more important than the present, and this rationalizes many violent courses of action. Therefore, Christianity and Islam are inherently more violent than Judaism.

Christianity and Judaism have largely benefitted from the progress made during the Enlightenment, whereas Islam has backslided from its golden age. Therefor, Islam is more violent in the present day than either Christianity or Judaism.

+1
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 8:23:58 PM
At 6/21/2016 8:30:10 AM, Rukado wrote:

Look at how easily Muslims can be baited into fighting each other (many Muslim countries have a great deal of Muslim vs. Muslim violence).

Look at how the Catholics and Protestants fought each other for years. I

What other religion has spawned an industry of suicide bombers?

Look at how Irish Catholics and Protestant Christians bombed each other.

What other religion teaches forced conversion or extra taxes for others?

Look at how Christians during the Inquisition in Spain forced conversions and slaughtered "heretics."

==========

None of your arguments show that inherently more violent than other faiths. All you've done is suggest that Islam is more violent than other faiths right now.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 8:25:33 PM
At 6/21/2016 4:59:06 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Or it could have been the Quranic sura that promised eternal life in Jannah(heaven) if you kill nonmuslims.

If that were the case, Islam would have always displayed the barbarism it does now. But it hasn't, ergo, that is not the case.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics