Jump to topic:

Let's discuss political correctness

OlaNordmann
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 5:17:23 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
Political Correctness (PC) is a hot topic this year and it's something that seems to be almost universally despised in media and often used as an insult -- but I'm somewhat conflicted. Because I have yet to hear any sound pro/con arguments.

Got any? Please share them.
Rukado
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 5:23:50 PM
Political Correctness is the use of political or popular power to suppress alternative views. PC is used primary to protect lies that can't be defended by any other means that silencing the other side.
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 5:33:17 PM
At 6/21/2016 5:17:23 PM, OlaNordmann wrote:
Political Correctness (PC) is a hot topic this year and it's something that seems to be almost universally despised in media and often used as an insult -- but I'm somewhat conflicted. Because I have yet to hear any sound pro/con arguments.

Political correctness is a lot like UFOs, it doesn't exist but a lot of people believe it does.
Ther is something called factually correct and then there is socially acceptable language. The latter of these two is something which evolves with the society. 100 years ago the N word was acceptable to use in polite society (as long as you were white), today it is not.
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 5:35:13 PM

Warning ignore Rukado, he is one of the biggest racists and anti-Semites on DDO
OlaNordmann
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 5:39:49 PM
At 6/21/2016 5:23:50 PM, Rukado wrote:
Political Correctness is the use of political or popular power to suppress alternative views. PC is used primary to protect lies that can't be defended by any other means that silencing the other side.

Wait, so all political opposition against alternative views are considered political correctness? That doesn't fit the general definition of PC.
Rukado
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 5:58:09 PM
At 6/21/2016 5:39:49 PM, OlaNordmann wrote:
Wait, so all political opposition against alternative views are considered political correctness? That doesn't fit the general definition of PC.

Is your brain getting enough blood? I said PC is an attempt to use political or popular power SUPPRESS alternative views, particularly those that are otherwise indefensible. Do you think "suppression" equates with "all opposition".
OlaNordmann
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 6:11:06 PM
At 6/21/2016 5:58:09 PM, Rukado wrote:
At 6/21/2016 5:39:49 PM, OlaNordmann wrote:

Is your brain getting enough blood? I said PC is an attempt to use political or popular power SUPPRESS alternative views, particularly those that are otherwise indefensible. Do you think "suppression" equates with "all opposition".

Please remain civil. English isn't my first language so sometimes things can get mixed up in translation, I don't think thats any reason get nasty. Try debating in another language yourself and see how easy it is. let me change my phrasing:

Are all attempts to suppress alternative views are considered political correctness?
Rukado
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 6:15:58 PM
At 6/21/2016 5:33:17 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
Ther is something called factually correct and then there is socially acceptable language. The latter of these two is something which evolves with the society. 100 years ago the N word was acceptable to use in polite society (as long as you were white), today it is not.

Why can't you say n!gger, but you can say cracker, honky, or whitey? How come blacks can say n!gger, but not whites? Socially Acceptable Language with a political agenda is a means of Political Correctness.

A debate on who is to blame for the condition of blacks is not allowed. There's no toleration for the expression of the idea that blacks are to blame for black poverty, black crime, and black voting patterns. Whites can't say n!gger, but Christians, whites, and men can be slurred all day long because the view that blacks are oppressed is PC, and the existence of the n-word (which is used almost exclusively by Democrats) is somehow proof that blacks are oppressed (by people other than Democrats).
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 6:34:07 PM

Political correctness is the racism and bigotry of low expectations. You assume that the person or group discussed is not adult enough to be treated just like the majority.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
OlaNordmann
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 6:40:53 PM
At 6/21/2016 6:15:58 PM, Rukado wrote:
Why can't you say n!gger, but you can say cracker, honky, or whitey? How come blacks can say n!gger, but not whites? Socially Acceptable Language with a political agenda is a means of Political Correctness.

A debate on who is to blame for the condition of blacks is not allowed. There's no toleration for the expression of the idea that blacks are to blame for black poverty, black crime, and black voting patterns. Whites can't say n!gger, but Christians, whites, and men can be slurred all day long because the view that blacks are oppressed is PC, and the existence of the n-word (which is used almost exclusively by Democrats) is somehow proof that blacks are oppressed (by people other than Democrats).

It would be so much easier if you just wrote your argument instead of us having to interpret and possibly misunderstand it.

Is your argument is that the PC isn't a problem itself, but that it's unjust when the majority force political correctness on their opposition without applying it to themselves?
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 6:43:22 PM

Brendan pretty much nailed it. PC is a boogeyman used by folks who lament no longer being able to call women "chicks" in the workplace, or who are subconsciously terrified by all of the minorities they now find in their midst. There is a "regressive left", primarily in academia (and student-driven), that tries to use PC to shut down speech they feel is problematic. However, it is not at all on the scale of the real problems faced in society that PC helps to mitigate

PC is actually the idea that we should minimize language that is inflammatory or insulting to those around us. Like I mentioned above, avoiding marginalizing/derogatory language in the workplace is one example. The intent is a more inclusive society.

I don't personally care whether people are politically correct or not, but then I'm not a member of a traditionally oppressed demographic. What annoys me is when some folks want to use slurs, but don't want to face the consequences. Aw, you got fired for calling someone a "tranny?" Live and learn, kiddo.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 7:03:54 PM
At 6/21/2016 6:43:22 PM, Burzmali wrote:

Brendan pretty much nailed it. PC is a boogeyman used by folks who lament no longer being able to call women "chicks" in the workplace, or who are subconsciously terrified by all of the minorities they now find in their midst. There is a "regressive left", primarily in academia (and student-driven), that tries to use PC to shut down speech they feel is problematic. However, it is not at all on the scale of the real problems faced in society that PC helps to mitigate

PC is actually the idea that we should minimize language that is inflammatory or insulting to those around us. Like I mentioned above, avoiding marginalizing/derogatory language in the workplace is one example. The intent is a more inclusive society.

I don't personally care whether people are politically correct or not, but then I'm not a member of a traditionally oppressed demographic. What annoys me is when some folks want to use slurs, but don't want to face the consequences. Aw, you got fired for calling someone a "tranny?" Live and learn, kiddo.

Can you call a straight man "straight"?
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

OlaNordmann
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 7:16:29 PM
At 6/21/2016 6:34:07 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Political correctness is the racism and bigotry of low expectations. You assume that the person or group discussed is not adult enough to be treated just like the majority.

Who is this supposed person or group, the ones taking offense?
OlaNordmann
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 7:20:45 PM

I think you're onto something because so far the opposition to PC hasn't been able to give a persistent definition of what it even is...
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 7:37:14 PM

THANK YOU!!!!
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 7:39:22 PM
Trump has refused to be politically correct. He got lots of people angry , but he also got lots of votes in the republican primarys from people who thought it was great to see someone refuse to surrender their right to freedom of speech and show that they can't stop you from being politically incorrect.
So when he said they should stop allowing Muslims to enter our country, this could be perceived as religious based discrimination, or something we should do but most people would be afraid to say it.
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 7:41:30 PM
At 6/21/2016 7:03:54 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

In what context?
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 7:46:10 PM

PC covers a wide range. At one level, it's simply etiquette. At another level, it's soft censorship by social pressure. Both sides (left and right) tend to only focus on the most extreme examples and to talk past each other.

When we're talking about PC, we should mostly focus on what actually is dangerous, and that would be the censorial instinct behind some of it, especially the 'no-platforming' on college campuses. Now before someone comes screeching out of left field that 'IT'S NOT CENSORSHIP BECAUSE IT'S NOT GOVERNMENT HUR DUR DUR', censorship isn't just bad because it's illegal. The same arguments which supported the First Amendment also apply to society at large, and free speech is a good value to preserve for reasons other than those of legality. This is particularly true of college universities, which ought to be the beating heart of intellectual discourse in any healthy society, not a place where orthodoxy is enforced with little to no epistemic humility on the part of the enforcers.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 7:46:31 PM
At 6/21/2016 7:41:30 PM, Burzmali wrote:

In what context?

Can I call him straight sering the human body is not straight but bent in shape?

Can I say tranny if talking about a car. Can I say a transvestite is a tranny if I am comparing him/her to a transmission in a car?

OlaNordmann
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 7:55:42 PM
At 6/21/2016 7:39:22 PM, xus00HAY wrote:
Trump has refused to be politically correct. He got lots of people angry , but he also got lots of votes in the republican primarys from people who thought it was great to see someone refuse to surrender their right to freedom of speech and show that they can't stop you from being politically incorrect.
So when he said they should stop allowing Muslims to enter our country, this could be perceived as religious based discrimination, or something we should do but most people would be afraid to say it.

Just because you're allowed to use profanities or insults doesn't mean that you should. Let's be honest; Trump doesn't say the things that he does because he refuses to surrender to freedom of speech. Trump says the things he says because he believes in it.

You argue that you support politically incorrectness, but you're not really making a stance on political correctness.
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 8:03:56 PM

As for the three slurs, you can't really use those in an acceptable manner either because those are vulgar terms. Satire being the sole exception.
As for the n word, Black people use it in a satirical and ironic manner by and large. It is still not considered socially acceptable in most contexts.

A debate on who is to blame for the condition of blacks is not allowed.

Because there is not really a debate to be had. It is the result of two centuries of slavery and a century of "Separate but Equal" discrimination and racism. That is just historical fact.

There's no toleration for the expression of the idea that blacks are to blame for black poverty, black crime, and black voting patterns.

Because it is factually incorrect. Sociologists have come to a consensus on that.

Whites can't say n!gger, but Christians, whites, and men can be slurred all day long because the view that blacks are oppressed is PC,

1) Saying things that are offensive are not really socially acceptable. You don't hear people calling Catholics papies because that term is offensive and is not socially acceptable.
2) No, it is factually correct according to Sociologists and Historians, you know the people who are experts in this area and study this stuff for a living.

and the existence of the n-word (which is used almost exclusively by Democrats) is somehow proof that blacks are oppressed (by people other than Democrats).

The existence of the N word itself is not evidence of black oppression. Social inequality dived along racial lines, disproportiate numbers of black people being in jail despite the same crime rates as whites, etc. That is evidence of oppression according to sociologists.
I won't deny democrats are not involved in the oppression though, if you need evidence, just look at Bill Clinton's 1994 crime bill.

I don't plan on convincing you of any of this, because you are perhaps the most notorious racist and antisemite on this site. This response is not meant for you but for the other users.
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 8:05:19 PM

Yes, that is just a statement of fact, it's not ncissarily polite to discuss it, as a persons sexuality is not a polite topic of conversation.
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 8:12:49 PM
Nowadays Political Correctness has turned into little more than a loaded word used to snarl anyone with even vaguely leftist views, it's this thinking that is essentially the bastard father of words like "regressive liberal" and "SJW"
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 8:13:25 PM

You really have this all backwards. You can say anything you like. If you say nigger, and someone calls you an a$$hole for saying nigger, THAT IS FREE SPEECH you f**king anti-semitic dufus. Now go circlejerk with some Trump supporters over how oppressed you are.
OlaNordmann
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 8:20:41 PM
At 6/21/2016 7:46:10 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

PC covers a wide range. At one level, it's simply etiquette. At another level, it's soft censorship by social pressure. Both sides (left and right) tend to only focus on the most extreme examples and to talk past each other.

When we're talking about PC, we should mostly focus on what actually is dangerous, and that would be the censorial instinct behind some of it, especially the 'no-platforming' on college campuses. Now before someone comes screeching out of left field that 'IT'S NOT CENSORSHIP BECAUSE IT'S NOT GOVERNMENT HUR DUR DUR', censorship isn't just bad because it's illegal. The same arguments which supported the First Amendment also apply to society at large, and free speech is a good value to preserve for reasons other than those of legality. This is particularly true of college universities, which ought to be the beating heart of intellectual discourse in any healthy society, not a place where orthodoxy is enforced with little to no epistemic humility on the part of the enforcers.

If someone finds the choice of words offensive or impolite, then I think they have an equal right to address that and ask them to change their behavior if they want to continue to engage in the conversation. I agree though it should never be used as an EXCUSE to avoid the argument you find difficult to respond to or by suppressing someone from expressing themselves.
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 8:27:47 PM
At 6/21/2016 7:46:31 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 6/21/2016 7:41:30 PM, Burzmali wrote:

In what context?

Can I call him straight sering the human body is not straight but bent in shape?

Can I say tranny if talking about a car. Can I say a transvestite is a tranny if I am comparing him/her to a transmission in a car?

I'm having trouble understanding the questions. I don't know what "sering" means, for instance. Maybe you can rephrase and stick to one thing at a time?
OlaNordmann
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 8:34:14 PM
At 6/21/2016 7:46:31 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

You can say whatever the h*** you want, but some can get offended by it. And if you know that some will, then maybe you should consider. Unless you want to appear like a biggot.
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 8:55:19 PM
At 6/21/2016 7:20:45 PM, OlaNordmann wrote:

I think you're onto something because so far the opposition to PC hasn't been able to give a persistent definition of what it even is...

Exactly it is just a term used by people who don't like that certain things have become socially unacceptable or factually incorrect
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 9:15:13 PM
At 6/21/2016 8:13:25 PM, TBR wrote:

You really have this all backwards. You can say anything you like. If you say nigger, and someone calls you an a$$hole for saying nigger, THAT IS FREE SPEECH you f**king anti-semitic dufus. Now go circlejerk with some Trump supporters over how oppressed you are.

BOOM!
Rukado
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 10:00:05 PM
At 6/21/2016 8:13:25 PM, TBR wrote:

If Trump said n!gger, he'd be forced to drop out of the race. If you said n!gger at work, you'd be fired. If you said n!gger at school, you'd be suspended. If you said n!gger in most forums, you'd be banned. Unless you're a n!gger yourself. You know it, so what are you trying to say?