Jump to topic:

From a Democrat who hates guns " the "sit-in"

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 5:49:36 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
So, a group of elected representatives flaunted house rules - setting a sh1t precedent - while singing "we shall overcome" in a way that made me want to hurl on my monitor. They picked the worst of possible gun-control target as their poster-child, the no-fly list, and sat up for ONE night in one of the safest places on the planet, with plenty of food and access to flush toilets. Call me unimpressed.

Speaking of poster-children, did anyone else take huge exception with the cards with victims" names printed on them? If I die at the hands of some gun-f**king-nut, and anyone puts my name on an 8.5/11 card for the camera, I will rise from the grave, buy a f**king gun, and shoot that person very dead.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 5:53:22 PM
At 6/23/2016 5:49:36 PM, TBR wrote:
So, a group of elected representatives flaunted house rules - setting a sh1t precedent - while singing "we shall overcome" in a way that made me want to hurl on my monitor. They picked the worst of possible gun-control target as their poster-child, the no-fly list, and sat up for ONE night in one of the safest places on the planet, with plenty of food and access to flush toilets. Call me unimpressed.

Speaking of poster-children, did anyone else take huge exception with the cards with victims" names printed on them? If I die at the hands of some gun-f**king-nut, and anyone puts my name on an 8.5/11 card for the camera, I will rise from the grave, buy a f**king gun, and shoot that person very dead.

got links?
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 5:58:00 PM
At 6/23/2016 5:53:22 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

got links?

To what? The sit-in? Are you sitting under a rock right now?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 6:06:13 PM
At 6/23/2016 5:58:00 PM, TBR wrote:

got links?

I don't follow the D.C. Barnum circus sorry.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 6:06:45 PM
At 6/23/2016 6:06:13 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

got links?

http://www.cbsnews.com...
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 6:14:40 PM
At 6/23/2016 6:06:45 PM, TBR wrote:

got links?

Thanks. 2 things I find odd..

1st: Why are Democrat voters ok with suspending due process in the case of the no-fly list?

2nd: Why is there a phone number on a podium our elected government representatives are using to explain policy?
Rukado
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 6:19:15 PM
Maybe we should have no-homo zones. That would have done a lot more good than another gun law in preventing this shooting.

The homo-lover of the shooter says the shooter was upset at being exposed to AIDS in a group homo orgy. And, that the shooting was revenge for that.

The Democrats and Republicans will continue to ignore that the shooter himself is a homo. The Democrats will continue to claim the cause of the shooting is "homophobia". And the Republicans will continue to insist on the window dressing that the shooting is Muslim-related terrorism.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 6:32:19 PM

#NoBillNoBreak turned out to be #NoBillFreePhotoshoot
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 6:33:07 PM
At 6/23/2016 6:32:19 PM, TN05 wrote:

Blame Trump, everyone is infected.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 6:33:59 PM
At 6/23/2016 6:33:07 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Not Trump's fault, although he does support the Democrat proposal.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 6:35:15 PM
At 6/23/2016 6:33:59 PM, TN05 wrote:
At 6/23/2016 6:33:07 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Not Trump's fault, although he does support the Democrat proposal.

Everything is a photo op for Trump.
Lsumichiganfan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 6:36:05 PM

I can't figure out if this is sarcastic.
Please vote on this debate: http://www.debate.org...
"You have displayed the political understanding of a tortoise thus far in this election" -Harder
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 6:36:16 PM
At 6/23/2016 6:14:40 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

got links?

1st: Why are Democrat voters ok with suspending due process in the case of the no-fly list?
Because they picked the WRONG proposal. They could have picked any number of GOOD targets, this one is crap.

2nd: Why is there a phone number on a podium our elected government representatives are using to explain policy?
Because they broke decorum at every point.

What an embarrassment. They could have done this so much better, and they just didn't. Poorly printed phone number of the f**king podium held in place with 4 poorly torn pieces of tape. It was... shameful.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 6:38:53 PM
At 6/23/2016 6:36:05 PM, Lsumichiganfan wrote:

No its not sarcastic. I am embarrassed! They COULD have done something, they spent 25 hours making a mockery of MY f**king government!

Yea, I am pissed.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 6:39:15 PM

Unfortunate but true
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 6:40:36 PM
At 6/23/2016 6:36:16 PM, TBR wrote:

got links?

Because they picked the WRONG proposal. They could have picked any number of GOOD targets, this one is crap.

What an embarrassment. They could have done this so much better, and they just didn't. Poorly printed phone number of the f**king podium held in place with 4 poorly torn pieces of tape. It was... shameful.

Why won't their voters hold them accountable? No wonder people want Bernie.
Lsumichiganfan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 6:42:23 PM
At 6/23/2016 6:38:53 PM, TBR wrote:

No its not sarcastic. I am embarrassed! They COULD have done something, they spent 25 hours making a mockery of MY f**king government!

Yea, I am pissed.

Do you realize how hard it is for a minority party to do something in the House?
"You have displayed the political understanding of a tortoise thus far in this election" -Harder
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 6:42:26 PM
At 6/23/2016 6:40:36 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

got links?

I am not voting them out for this, I am with them, but this was done so poorly I have to say so.
Lsumichiganfan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 6:43:23 PM

Yea, I am pissed.

How did they mock your government by demanding gun control?
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 6:44:25 PM
At 6/23/2016 6:42:23 PM, Lsumichiganfan wrote:

Yea, I am pissed.

Do you realize how hard it is for a minority party to do something in the House?

You do realize we have 227 years of an operational government, and you don't get your way because you stage a photo-op streamed over periscope, right?
Lsumichiganfan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 6:49:27 PM
At 6/23/2016 6:44:25 PM, TBR wrote:

Yea, I am pissed.

You do realize we have 227 years of an operational government, and you don't get your way because you stage a photo-op streamed over periscope, right?

We have. But, people are sick of inaction and lack of really anything from congress. It's an embarrassment that our GOP congress has a 9% approval rating. That's a disgrace to our government. Demanding action in congress shouldn't be a disgrace you should be glad that the Democrats are trying to pass action.
Anyway, this forum post is annoying me. Last night was historic and the least I want to do is respond to people who claim that it is making a mockery out of our government.
Lsumichiganfan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 6:50:35 PM
At 6/23/2016 6:42:26 PM, TBR wrote:

got links?

I am not voting them out for this, I am with them, but this was done so poorly I have to say so.

Also, why do you think the No-Fly list is the worst poster child for gun control?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 6:54:21 PM

Yea, I am pissed.

The Senate rejected first a Republican proposal to update the background check system for gun purchases, which would have required states to add more information on mental health records to a national database. It also included a provision to alert law enforcement agencies when an individual who was on a government terror watch list in the last five years buys a gun.

(then they go on to accuse Republicans of wanting to sell rifles to ISIS)

A Republican proposal to delay gun sales to individuals included on a government terror watch list failed in a mostly party-line vote of 53-47. The measure was sponsored by Texas GOP Sen. John Cornyn. The bill would allow a judge to permanently block a purchase if the court determined probable cause that the individual is involved in terrorist activity.

So explain to me in layman's terms why Democratic Senators would unanimously vote these proposals down.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 6:59:47 PM
At 6/23/2016 6:50:35 PM, Lsumichiganfan wrote:

got links?

Also, why do you think the No-Fly list is the worst poster child for gun control?

Guns, if I like it or not, are a right. Frying is not a right. The bar to deny a right has to be higher than the bar to enter a plane. If I drink too much while on a trip to Vegas, disrupt the flight, well then, I could go on the list. That is simply not enough to deny me a right.

Now. My path forward is to change gun culture. They are not "cool". Smoking, as short time ago, was cool. It took some time, but not much, to change the culture normal reaction to smoking. Same can happen with guns.

This, and other, efforts to pick away at guns via law is pointless. Find a GOOD law, and we can talk, but this one sucks.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 7:02:54 PM
At 6/23/2016 6:43:23 PM, Lsumichiganfan wrote:

Yea, I am pissed.

How did they mock your government by demanding gun control?

Stand on the steps of the capitol with signs if they want. You don't get to flaunt every rule of decorum, take over MY house (regardless if I am their 'friends' or not) and demand anything!

It was a poorly done stunt. This is the crap I mock republicans - and hate Trump for. Just garbage.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 7:06:32 PM
At 6/23/2016 6:49:27 PM, Lsumichiganfan wrote:

Yea, I am pissed.

We have. But, people are sick of inaction and lack of really anything from congress. It's an embarrassment that our GOP congress has a 9% approval rating. That's a disgrace to our government. Demanding action in congress shouldn't be a disgrace you should be glad that the Democrats are trying to pass action.
Anyway, this forum post is annoying me. Last night was historic and the least I want to do is respond to people who claim that it is making a mockery out of our government.

Look man. What happens when the shoe is on the other foot. What happens when republicans sit their a$$ down and wont move until some bullsh1t vote is held on abortion? Their shenanigans with the ACA was terrible, and now WE look like the children.

What was historic last night was, it was the first time I was embarrassed by many of those guys.
Lsumichiganfan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 7:06:56 PM
At 6/23/2016 6:59:47 PM, TBR wrote:

got links?

Guns, if I like it or not, are a right. Frying is not a right. The bar to deny a right has to be higher than the bar to enter a plane. If I drink too much while on a trip to Vegas, disrupt the flight, well then, I could go on the list. That is simply not enough to deny me a right.

Now. My path forward is to change gun culture. They are not "cool". Smoking, as short time ago, was cool. It took some time, but not much, to change the culture normal reaction to smoking. Same can happen with guns.

This, and other, efforts to pick away at guns via law is pointless. Find a GOOD law, and we can talk, but this one sucks.

There are about 1,000 Americans on the No-Fly list:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

I am pretty sure more than 1,000 people in America have been kicked off a flight before. For example, TYT anchor Cenk Ugyur was kicked off a flight but is not on the no-fly list. I don't think it has to do with drunks being kicked off flights.
Lsumichiganfan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 7:10:17 PM
At 6/23/2016 7:06:32 PM, TBR wrote:
At 6/23/2016 6:49:27 PM, Lsumichiganfan wrote:

Yea, I am pissed.

Look man. What happens when the shoe is on the other foot. What happens when republicans sit their a$$ down and wont move until some bullsh1t vote is held on abortion? Their shenanigans with the ACA was terrible, and now WE look like the children.

What was historic last night was, it was the first time I was embarrassed by many of those guys.

You do make a good point there TBR. Except the main difference is that usually they have more filibusters and don't have any reasonable legalization at ALL. The Democrats had a sit-in to prevent the mass killing of Americans by gun violence. We weren't holding a filibuster in America against something that can HELP society.

Also, did you see the speech from John Lewis?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 7:10:26 PM

The Senate rejected first a Republican proposal to update the background check system for gun purchases, which would have required states to add more information on mental health records to a national database. It also included a provision to alert law enforcement agencies when an individual who was on a government terror watch list in the last five years buys a gun.

(then they go on to accuse Republicans of wanting to sell rifles to ISIS)

A Republican proposal to delay gun sales to individuals included on a government terror watch list failed in a mostly party-line vote of 53-47. The measure was sponsored by Texas GOP Sen. John Cornyn. The bill would allow a judge to permanently block a purchase if the court determined probable cause that the individual is involved in terrorist activity.

So explain to me in layman's terms why Democratic Senators would unanimously vote these proposals down.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 7:11:26 PM
At 6/23/2016 7:06:56 PM, Lsumichiganfan wrote:
At 6/23/2016 6:59:47 PM, TBR wrote:

got links?

There are about 1,000 Americans on the No-Fly list:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

I am pretty sure more than 1,000 people in America have been kicked off a flight before. For example, TYT anchor Cenk Ugyur was kicked off a flight but is not on the no-fly list. I don't think it has to do with drunks being kicked off flights.

You missed the point.

1) If I DO disrupt the flight, I COULD go on the list.
2) As you note, the list is very short. How is adding this short list helpful?

They picked the worst of plans, and stood by it in the worst possible way. We lost last night, and that has nothing to do with how it 'plays'. If democrats get a bump, fine, but it was a HUGE loss. Just hang tight and see what happens when the GOP doesn't get its way in the future.