Jump to topic:

Brexit being Reconsidered

famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 5:49:19 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
After more than 2 million people signed a petition for the PM to redo the referendum again, it has been agreed that it will be decided in the House of Commons next week as to whether or not they hold a second referendum on the topic again to possibly change the fact that we will be leaving the EU.

If the House of Commons agree that a second referendum will be held then that could change everything, since it gives the remain campaign more time to continue to campaign and possibly win this second referendum.

This does of course raise a few a questions:

Would it be fair for a second referendum to be held?

Would David Cameron still fulfill his promise to resign by October if we vote to remain in this second referendum (assuming there is one)?

Thoughts?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 5:53:48 PM
At 6/25/2016 5:49:19 PM, famousdebater wrote:
After more than 2 million people signed a petition for the PM to redo the referendum again, it has been agreed that it will be decided in the House of Commons next week as to whether or not they hold a second referendum on the topic again to possibly change the fact that we will be leaving the EU.

If the House of Commons agree that a second referendum will be held then that could change everything, since it gives the remain campaign more time to continue to campaign and possibly win this second referendum.

Would David Cameron still fulfill his promise to resign by October if we vote to remain in this second referendum (assuming there is one)?

Thoughts?

I would think the public order would suffer.
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 5:58:43 PM
At 6/25/2016 5:53:48 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Thoughts?

I would think the public order would suffer.

Indeed. Though I doubt that the House of Commons would ever agree to a second referendum anyway.
John Galsworthy
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 6:04:07 PM

No, you can't just redo nation-wide votes because a minority didn't like it. That's like redoing an election, not just recounting the votes.

No, if they vote to stay the second time he doesn't have to resign.
Thoughts?

The US needs to act quickly to invade the UK.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 6:12:48 PM
At 6/25/2016 6:04:07 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

He promised that he would resign by October. Not doing so would be breaking his promise.

Thoughts?

Lol
John Galsworthy
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 6:25:16 PM
At 6/25/2016 6:12:48 PM, famousdebater wrote:

He promised that he would resign by October. Not doing so would be breaking his promise.

Thoughts?

Lol

Cameron has been known to break a promise or two (hundred) in the past.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 6:33:19 PM

Thoughts?

I think questioning the will of the people in this fashion is an egregious miscarriage of justice, and the politicians who support having a second vote should be replaced immediately.

Cameron should resign immediately.
Tsar of DDO
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 6:58:04 PM
At 6/25/2016 6:33:19 PM, YYW wrote:

Thoughts?

I think questioning the will of the people in this fashion is an egregious miscarriage of justice, and the politicians who support having a second vote should be replaced immediately.

Fortunately, whilst it is being taken to the House of Commons I doubt that they'll allow there to be a second referendum even though it's being discussed.

Well he's already resigning by October and I think that's sufficient time for him to sort everything out regarding who will replace him and how the transition will be made smoothly. Anything earlier than October would be too soon.
John Galsworthy
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 6:59:02 PM
At 6/25/2016 6:58:04 PM, famousdebater wrote:

Thoughts?

Fortunately, whilst it is being taken to the House of Commons I doubt that they'll allow there to be a second referendum even though it's being discussed.

That word: "whilst." Purge it from your vocabulary. It is a disgusting word.

Well he's already resigning by October and I think that's sufficient time for him to sort everything out regarding who will replace him and how the transition will be made smoothly. Anything earlier than October would be too soon.
Tsar of DDO
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 7:00:14 PM
At 6/25/2016 6:59:02 PM, YYW wrote:

Thoughts?

Twice in under 5 minutes. :P

John Galsworthy
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 7:01:32 PM
At 6/25/2016 7:00:14 PM, famousdebater wrote:

Thoughts?

You must stop using that word. It is nauseating.

Tsar of DDO
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 7:03:38 PM
At 6/25/2016 7:01:32 PM, YYW wrote:

The sentence is grammatically correct, so I don't see what's wrong with it.
John Galsworthy
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 7:08:01 PM
At 6/25/2016 6:25:16 PM, desmac wrote:

This was a slightly different kind of promise since he made this promise whilst he was PM; it was made publicly on live TV; it regarded resignation which is different to a policy implementation lie and Cameron has no strategic benefit or advantage from lying about resignation whereas in the past his lies have been about policies which have allowed him to be elected - this isn't anything that he can benefit from by lying about it.
John Galsworthy
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 7:13:58 PM
At 6/25/2016 7:08:01 PM, famousdebater wrote:

This was a slightly different kind of promise since he made this promise whilst he was PM; it was made publicly on live TV; it regarded resignation which is different to a policy implementation lie and Cameron has no strategic benefit or advantage from lying about resignation whereas in the past his lies have been about policies which have allowed him to be elected - this isn't anything that he can benefit from by lying about it.

But he does have form.
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 7:26:52 PM
At 6/25/2016 7:13:58 PM, desmac wrote:
At 6/25/2016 7:08:01 PM, famousdebater wrote:

But he does have form.

True. Though the above points seem to outweigh this.
John Galsworthy
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 7:47:13 PM
At 6/25/2016 6:54:12 PM, Geographia wrote:
https://i.sli.mg...

Cameron probably regrets this tweet.

Lol, if I were him I would definitely regret that.
John Galsworthy
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 8:51:21 PM
At 6/25/2016 7:03:38 PM, famousdebater wrote:

*vomits*
Tsar of DDO
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 9:13:33 PM
At 6/25/2016 8:51:21 PM, YYW wrote:
At 6/25/2016 7:03:38 PM, famousdebater wrote:

*vomits*

Lol. I still don't see what your problem with the word is.
John Galsworthy
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 9:17:55 PM

Thoughts?

That's an idiotic ruling. You cannot have another referendum just because you were against the outcome of the first.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 9:18:11 PM

Thoughts?

He already resigned.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 9:19:24 PM
At 6/25/2016 9:17:55 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
That's an idiotic ruling. You cannot have another referendum just because you were against the outcome of the first.

Well it's not confirmed. They are, by law, obliged to discuss it in the House of Commons due to the sheer number of signatures on the petition however I doubt that they'll allow there to be a second referendum.
John Galsworthy
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 9:20:11 PM
At 6/25/2016 9:19:24 PM, famousdebater wrote:

Well it's not confirmed. They are, by law, obliged to discuss it in the House of Commons due to the sheer number of signatures on the petition however I doubt that they'll allow there to be a second referendum.

Exactly, and they shouldn't have a second referendum.

famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 9:21:29 PM
At 6/25/2016 9:20:11 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

I agree. Which is why I doubt that they'll allow it to happen.
John Galsworthy
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 9:21:33 PM
At 6/25/2016 6:12:48 PM, famousdebater wrote:

Thoughts?

Lol

He's supposed to resign if he fails to pass legislation. If the second referendum has the UK stay, then he didn't fail and doesn't have to resign. His "promise" is just him saying he'll do what he's supposed to do.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 9:22:04 PM
At 6/25/2016 9:21:29 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 6/25/2016 9:20:11 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

I agree. Which is why I doubt that they'll allow it to happen.

If they did their administration will be ruined. 13 million plus voters will see to that.

AnnaCzereda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 11:27:15 PM
After more than 2 million people signed a petition for the PM to redo the referendum again, it has been agreed that it will be decided in the House of Commons next week as to whether or not they hold a second referendum on the topic again to possibly change the fact that we will be leaving the EU...

This is just stupid. The majority of people voted to leave so now the UK should leave. A referendum could be declared invalid and repeated only if some grievous frauds or unintentional mistakes were made that could have influenced its result. That people protest against the outcome of this referendum doesn't surprise me. In my country, there are always some protests against the results of elections and referendums. Every citizen can file a report and all the reports are reviewed by the Supreme Court which finally declares whether some election/referendum is valid or not. However, it's not enough just to state that you aren't happy with the result, you must prove that something went wrong.

When it comes to petitions, also here the ones signed by the great number of citizens are discussed in the parliament. That doesn't mean the deputies act on them. Usually, they don't but they want to show they take the voice of the people into consideration.

I doubt that the parliament will finally vote contrary to the decision made by the majority of Brits. It would be in a bad style and I'm not sure whether the EU would be happy about that too.

Anyway, the process of leaving the EU will take some time. It won't happen immediately.
He wished to turn his countenance from the smoldering rubble, but saw from amidst the embers that a few chaff would not burn away. To these, he stared into the eye of God sneering, and called them, 'Promethean.'
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 2:02:05 PM
At 6/25/2016 11:27:15 PM, AnnaCzereda wrote:
Your post basically summarizes my views on the subject at the moment.
John Galsworthy
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 2:54:20 PM

No. It would be undemocratic and unfair.

If the referendum happened the eurosceptics in the Conservative party would throw Cameron out. Conservatives who voted to leave would abandon the party for UKIP if they didn't.

Thoughts?

There is no chance of a second referendum. The people who wanted to stay in the EU are delusional if they think it's possible. You can't ignore a referendum just because you dislike the result. That's the whole point of having one, to let the people decide.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
foxxhajti
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 3:45:33 PM

To be fair, over 3 million:
https://petition.parliament.uk...

No. I'm quite torn about this, but I'm trying to be as objective as I can and seeing it from both sides.
The referendum has spoken, yes. The majority has won, and I suppose that's the fairest thing.

On the other hand, some people, like a few Cornish people and a few Welsh feel misled by the lies told by Nigel Farage and many others from the leave campaign. Cornwall and Wales hugely depended on EU subsidies and now there isn't a certainty the government will help them at all. That's a bit of a deception.
Some people are also fearing the division of the UK, therefore they're considering it as well.
Nigel Farage DID say that he'd want a second referendum if the remain would've won 52-48, which in this case was the other way round.
Lots of people are changing their minds, but in most cases, simply changing your mind isn't how politics work.
But at the end of the day, if a referendum has to be done again until they get the outcome they want, then what truly is the point of holding it in the first place?

At the end of the day, a second referendum is quite unlikely.

Not completely sure.

Thoughts?

I'm not satisfied about the outcome, but the majority has spoken. Therefore, that's the fair thing to do.
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello