Jump to topic:

'Leave vs Remain' vs 'Leave vs Stay'

Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 5:55:01 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
Could the results have been different if the 'remain' position were popularly known as 'stay', rather than 'remain'?

'Leave' is a word of Germanic origin, and has shorter (one-syllable) length. It probably carries greater force than 'remain', a two-syllable word ending in a nasal sound and of Latinate origin.

If 'remain' had been replaced by 'stay', a one-syllable word (admittedly of French origin but bearing limited surface resemblance to other words of the same pedigree), could this position have resonated with people more, and packed more of a punch?

The effect will be very mild, to be sure. I'm not a George Lakoff fan, and I don't believe changing a few words will have far-reaching effects in entire political landscape. But it was also a very close referendum, where every little effect counts.

I'm sure there are people who voted out of peer pressure or 'civic duty' only. They may know little about the ramifications of the two and base their decision on gut feeling. If we altered the opinions of those people, few as they are in number, they could sway the referendum the other way.

Do you think this is a plausible conjecture?
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 2:57:04 PM
At 6/26/2016 5:55:01 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
Could the results have been different if the 'remain' position were popularly known as 'stay', rather than 'remain'?

'Leave' is a word of Germanic origin, and has shorter (one-syllable) length. It probably carries greater force than 'remain', a two-syllable word ending in a nasal sound and of Latinate origin.

If 'remain' had been replaced by 'stay', a one-syllable word (admittedly of French origin but bearing limited surface resemblance to other words of the same pedigree), could this position have resonated with people more, and packed more of a punch?

The effect will be very mild, to be sure. I'm not a George Lakoff fan, and I don't believe changing a few words will have far-reaching effects in entire political landscape. But it was also a very close referendum, where every little effect counts.

I'm sure there are people who voted out of peer pressure or 'civic duty' only. They may know little about the ramifications of the two and base their decision on gut feeling. If we altered the opinions of those people, few as they are in number, they could sway the referendum the other way.

It would have made any difference whatsoever.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 3:25:50 PM

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 4:03:16 PM

No.
Tsar of DDO
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 4:31:56 PM
At 6/26/2016 3:25:50 PM, TBR wrote:

Lol XD

It seems from the video that they're equating words dominated by lower, back vowels with 'woodiness' and words dominated by higher, front vowels with 'tinniness'.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 4:32:21 PM
At 6/26/2016 4:03:16 PM, YYW wrote:

No.

I see. Would you mind elaborating on why you think it won't make any difference?

Don't be a stat cynic: