Gay Soldier's Letter

Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 11:46:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
http://jezebel.com...

It's quite sad that his brother died, but rather than react with disgust and horror at the military, he decides to enlist. And not only that, but he knows that this organization will not allow him to openly be who he is and this he considers this to be a great torment.

And why is he going through all this? So he can end up in an occupation of Afghanistan? So that someday his partner may receive a letter informing him that his lover is dead? So that his mother may wake up one morning and receive the casket of her second son? Why is he doing this to those he cares about, why is he trying to hurt them?

What emotion is this letter intended to invoke? Am I supposed to be proud of this man for inflicting himself with such hardship for no good effect? For I only think him foolish.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 11:56:39 PM
I agree with you
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2010 12:31:55 AM
What emotion is this letter intended to invoke? Am I supposed to...

You aren't supposed to do anything. It's addressed to people who have at least some modicum of support for the US military.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2010 1:29:24 AM
"On Wednesday, December 15, the House of Representatives voted 250 to 175 to repeal the military's long-standing policy of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell." The legislation now awaits a vote in the Senate, where support is allegedly gaining momentum...the stand-alone bill currently has the support of 54 Senate Democrats, two Senate Independents, and four Senate Republicans, which means that it has the necessary 60 votes to pass."

I disagree with the OP that the guy is simply stupid; the military is a good opportunity (I just talked to a girl at school who is getting her entire degree paid for and then some) that some people are obliged to take if they want to use their particular set of skills to succeed. The fact that the military is in the state that it is is sorry, but his will to continue on despite the culture is admirable.
no comment
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2010 2:05:53 AM
I have some problems with the letter.
It says the letter was written before he even left the states. then goes on
"I'm writing letters to my loved ones in case I don't return from Afghanistan."
I would take it more seriously, i think, if he had seen combat.
"I hope my partner never has to open his" so he had to have died for us to be reading it right? If thats not the case then the letter is not genuine right?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler