Total Posts:16|Showing Posts:1-16
Jump to topic:

NATO artificially invents a great enemy

TintinStorm
Posts: 8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 7:03:26 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
It seems European leaders are not able to listen to the voice of reason. Politicians talk about some Russian threat is hanging over Europe. Increase defense spending; increase the group of troops allegedly in dangerous regions of Europe, carried out exercises near Russian border.
Moreover, it is known that Ukraine will launch the North Atlantic Alliance joint platform against hybrid war. It is not yet known which components will be included in this platform and how it will function. However, it is possible to assume that this platform is likely designed to provide information support to the current regime in Kiev. It is obvious that in recent years the living standard has fallen sharply, and the taxes are increasing steadily (affects IMF pressure, which requires an increase in tax rates for the provision of the next tranche), the fighting in the Donbas are continuing, promised "golden mountains" and membership in the European Union were no more than fiction. Of course, the discontent among the population grows in proportion as the patient becomes less. It could remember the phrase of the father of propaganda of the third Reich Joseph Goebbels: "Give me mass media and I will make from any of the people the herd of swine". Perhaps this is what Western friends desire for the Ukrainian people. To kill the will of the people and to deprive him think clearly it is in the spirit of western democracy.
However, the real danger (migration crisis) begins to spread in the Old World. Europe yet could somehow regulate the flow of refugees from Turkey, but not from Libya. It is clear in what it can lead. There is no the coherent policies and heavy political and social situation in the Middle East and the Maghreb can lead tensions rise in Europe. The migrants from these regions are potentially dangerous and can be or have already been recruited by terrorist groups.
The question arises, why European leaders are paying excessive attention to some illusory threat from Russia as Europe has riots migrants. These riots threaten to turn into a wave of terrorist attacks and riots? It would seem better to normalize the situation in the Middle East and in Libya to stop the flow of refugees. However, instead, the funds and military forces are concentrated at the Russian border.
desmac
Posts: 5,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 8:10:52 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/8/2016 7:03:26 AM, TintinStorm wrote:
It seems European leaders are not able to listen to the voice of reason. Politicians talk about some Russian threat is hanging over Europe. Increase defense spending; increase the group of troops allegedly in dangerous regions of Europe, carried out exercises near Russian border.
Moreover, it is known that Ukraine will launch the North Atlantic Alliance joint platform against hybrid war. It is not yet known which components will be included in this platform and how it will function. However, it is possible to assume that this platform is likely designed to provide information support to the current regime in Kiev. It is obvious that in recent years the living standard has fallen sharply, and the taxes are increasing steadily (affects IMF pressure, which requires an increase in tax rates for the provision of the next tranche), the fighting in the Donbas are continuing, promised "golden mountains" and membership in the European Union were no more than fiction. Of course, the discontent among the population grows in proportion as the patient becomes less. It could remember the phrase of the father of propaganda of the third Reich Joseph Goebbels: "Give me mass media and I will make from any of the people the herd of swine". Perhaps this is what Western friends desire for the Ukrainian people. To kill the will of the people and to deprive him think clearly it is in the spirit of western democracy.
However, the real danger (migration crisis) begins to spread in the Old World. Europe yet could somehow regulate the flow of refugees from Turkey, but not from Libya. It is clear in what it can lead. There is no the coherent policies and heavy political and social situation in the Middle East and the Maghreb can lead tensions rise in Europe. The migrants from these regions are potentially dangerous and can be or have already been recruited by terrorist groups.
The question arises, why European leaders are paying excessive attention to some illusory threat from Russia as Europe has riots migrants. These riots threaten to turn into a wave of terrorist attacks and riots? It would seem better to normalize the situation in the Middle East and in Libya to stop the flow of refugees. However, instead, the funds and military forces are concentrated at the Russian border.

Putinbot?
YYW
Posts: 36,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 12:20:17 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/8/2016 8:10:52 AM, desmac wrote:
At 7/8/2016 7:03:26 AM, TintinStorm wrote:
It seems European leaders are not able to listen to the voice of reason. Politicians talk about some Russian threat is hanging over Europe. Increase defense spending; increase the group of troops allegedly in dangerous regions of Europe, carried out exercises near Russian border.
Moreover, it is known that Ukraine will launch the North Atlantic Alliance joint platform against hybrid war. It is not yet known which components will be included in this platform and how it will function. However, it is possible to assume that this platform is likely designed to provide information support to the current regime in Kiev. It is obvious that in recent years the living standard has fallen sharply, and the taxes are increasing steadily (affects IMF pressure, which requires an increase in tax rates for the provision of the next tranche), the fighting in the Donbas are continuing, promised "golden mountains" and membership in the European Union were no more than fiction. Of course, the discontent among the population grows in proportion as the patient becomes less. It could remember the phrase of the father of propaganda of the third Reich Joseph Goebbels: "Give me mass media and I will make from any of the people the herd of swine". Perhaps this is what Western friends desire for the Ukrainian people. To kill the will of the people and to deprive him think clearly it is in the spirit of western democracy.
However, the real danger (migration crisis) begins to spread in the Old World. Europe yet could somehow regulate the flow of refugees from Turkey, but not from Libya. It is clear in what it can lead. There is no the coherent policies and heavy political and social situation in the Middle East and the Maghreb can lead tensions rise in Europe. The migrants from these regions are potentially dangerous and can be or have already been recruited by terrorist groups.
The question arises, why European leaders are paying excessive attention to some illusory threat from Russia as Europe has riots migrants. These riots threaten to turn into a wave of terrorist attacks and riots? It would seem better to normalize the situation in the Middle East and in Libya to stop the flow of refugees. However, instead, the funds and military forces are concentrated at the Russian border.

Putinbot?

yup
Tsar of DDO
Harikrish
Posts: 11,010
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 5:11:06 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/8/2016 7:03:26 AM, TintinStorm wrote:
It seems European leaders are not able to listen to the voice of reason. Politicians talk about some Russian threat is hanging over Europe. Increase defense spending; increase the group of troops allegedly in dangerous regions of Europe, carried out exercises near Russian border.
Moreover, it is known that Ukraine will launch the North Atlantic Alliance joint platform against hybrid war. It is not yet known which components will be included in this platform and how it will function. However, it is possible to assume that this platform is likely designed to provide information support to the current regime in Kiev. It is obvious that in recent years the living standard has fallen sharply, and the taxes are increasing steadily (affects IMF pressure, which requires an increase in tax rates for the provision of the next tranche), the fighting in the Donbas are continuing, promised "golden mountains" and membership in the European Union were no more than fiction. Of course, the discontent among the population grows in proportion as the patient becomes less. It could remember the phrase of the father of propaganda of the third Reich Joseph Goebbels: "Give me mass media and I will make from any of the people the herd of swine". Perhaps this is what Western friends desire for the Ukrainian people. To kill the will of the people and to deprive him think clearly it is in the spirit of western democracy.
However, the real danger (migration crisis) begins to spread in the Old World. Europe yet could somehow regulate the flow of refugees from Turkey, but not from Libya. It is clear in what it can lead. There is no the coherent policies and heavy political and social situation in the Middle East and the Maghreb can lead tensions rise in Europe. The migrants from these regions are potentially dangerous and can be or have already been recruited by terrorist groups.
The question arises, why European leaders are paying excessive attention to some illusory threat from Russia as Europe has riots migrants. These riots threaten to turn into a wave of terrorist attacks and riots? It would seem better to normalize the situation in the Middle East and in Libya to stop the flow of refugees. However, instead, the funds and military forces are concentrated at the Russian border.

Spending billions of dollars killing Islamist recruited from Europe is a poor return on investment (ROI). Spending money on strengthening NATO in Europe with new shiny weapons while using Russia as an excuse at least shows the new toys the money was spent on as well as creating the illusion of a secure Europe.
There is also the possibility Russia will enter the arms race in Europe and spend its way into bankruptcy again.
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 8:50:57 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/8/2016 12:20:17 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/8/2016 8:10:52 AM, desmac wrote:
At 7/8/2016 7:03:26 AM, TintinStorm wrote:
It seems European leaders are not able to listen to the voice of reason. Politicians talk about some Russian threat is hanging over Europe. Increase defense spending; increase the group of troops allegedly in dangerous regions of Europe, carried out exercises near Russian border.
Moreover, it is known that Ukraine will launch the North Atlantic Alliance joint platform against hybrid war. It is not yet known which components will be included in this platform and how it will function. However, it is possible to assume that this platform is likely designed to provide information support to the current regime in Kiev. It is obvious that in recent years the living standard has fallen sharply, and the taxes are increasing steadily (affects IMF pressure, which requires an increase in tax rates for the provision of the next tranche), the fighting in the Donbas are continuing, promised "golden mountains" and membership in the European Union were no more than fiction. Of course, the discontent among the population grows in proportion as the patient becomes less. It could remember the phrase of the father of propaganda of the third Reich Joseph Goebbels: "Give me mass media and I will make from any of the people the herd of swine". Perhaps this is what Western friends desire for the Ukrainian people. To kill the will of the people and to deprive him think clearly it is in the spirit of western democracy.
However, the real danger (migration crisis) begins to spread in the Old World. Europe yet could somehow regulate the flow of refugees from Turkey, but not from Libya. It is clear in what it can lead. There is no the coherent policies and heavy political and social situation in the Middle East and the Maghreb can lead tensions rise in Europe. The migrants from these regions are potentially dangerous and can be or have already been recruited by terrorist groups.
The question arises, why European leaders are paying excessive attention to some illusory threat from Russia as Europe has riots migrants. These riots threaten to turn into a wave of terrorist attacks and riots? It would seem better to normalize the situation in the Middle East and in Libya to stop the flow of refugees. However, instead, the funds and military forces are concentrated at the Russian border.

Putinbot?

yup

You can tell by whenever they use the phrases like "Regime in Kiev". They're convinced that Neo-Nazis took over Ukraine in the 2014 Revolution.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
UtherPenguin
Posts: 3,683
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 8:52:15 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/8/2016 12:20:17 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/8/2016 8:10:52 AM, desmac wrote:
At 7/8/2016 7:03:26 AM, TintinStorm wrote:
It seems European leaders are not able to listen to the voice of reason. Politicians talk about some Russian threat is hanging over Europe. Increase defense spending; increase the group of troops allegedly in dangerous regions of Europe, carried out exercises near Russian border.
Moreover, it is known that Ukraine will launch the North Atlantic Alliance joint platform against hybrid war. It is not yet known which components will be included in this platform and how it will function. However, it is possible to assume that this platform is likely designed to provide information support to the current regime in Kiev. It is obvious that in recent years the living standard has fallen sharply, and the taxes are increasing steadily (affects IMF pressure, which requires an increase in tax rates for the provision of the next tranche), the fighting in the Donbas are continuing, promised "golden mountains" and membership in the European Union were no more than fiction. Of course, the discontent among the population grows in proportion as the patient becomes less. It could remember the phrase of the father of propaganda of the third Reich Joseph Goebbels: "Give me mass media and I will make from any of the people the herd of swine". Perhaps this is what Western friends desire for the Ukrainian people. To kill the will of the people and to deprive him think clearly it is in the spirit of western democracy.
However, the real danger (migration crisis) begins to spread in the Old World. Europe yet could somehow regulate the flow of refugees from Turkey, but not from Libya. It is clear in what it can lead. There is no the coherent policies and heavy political and social situation in the Middle East and the Maghreb can lead tensions rise in Europe. The migrants from these regions are potentially dangerous and can be or have already been recruited by terrorist groups.
The question arises, why European leaders are paying excessive attention to some illusory threat from Russia as Europe has riots migrants. These riots threaten to turn into a wave of terrorist attacks and riots? It would seem better to normalize the situation in the Middle East and in Libya to stop the flow of refugees. However, instead, the funds and military forces are concentrated at the Russian border.

Putinbot?

yup

Nyet
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
YYW
Posts: 36,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 12:05:31 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/8/2016 8:52:15 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
At 7/8/2016 12:20:17 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/8/2016 8:10:52 AM, desmac wrote:
At 7/8/2016 7:03:26 AM, TintinStorm wrote:
It seems European leaders are not able to listen to the voice of reason. Politicians talk about some Russian threat is hanging over Europe. Increase defense spending; increase the group of troops allegedly in dangerous regions of Europe, carried out exercises near Russian border.
Moreover, it is known that Ukraine will launch the North Atlantic Alliance joint platform against hybrid war. It is not yet known which components will be included in this platform and how it will function. However, it is possible to assume that this platform is likely designed to provide information support to the current regime in Kiev. It is obvious that in recent years the living standard has fallen sharply, and the taxes are increasing steadily (affects IMF pressure, which requires an increase in tax rates for the provision of the next tranche), the fighting in the Donbas are continuing, promised "golden mountains" and membership in the European Union were no more than fiction. Of course, the discontent among the population grows in proportion as the patient becomes less. It could remember the phrase of the father of propaganda of the third Reich Joseph Goebbels: "Give me mass media and I will make from any of the people the herd of swine". Perhaps this is what Western friends desire for the Ukrainian people. To kill the will of the people and to deprive him think clearly it is in the spirit of western democracy.
However, the real danger (migration crisis) begins to spread in the Old World. Europe yet could somehow regulate the flow of refugees from Turkey, but not from Libya. It is clear in what it can lead. There is no the coherent policies and heavy political and social situation in the Middle East and the Maghreb can lead tensions rise in Europe. The migrants from these regions are potentially dangerous and can be or have already been recruited by terrorist groups.
The question arises, why European leaders are paying excessive attention to some illusory threat from Russia as Europe has riots migrants. These riots threaten to turn into a wave of terrorist attacks and riots? It would seem better to normalize the situation in the Middle East and in Libya to stop the flow of refugees. However, instead, the funds and military forces are concentrated at the Russian border.

Putinbot?

yup

Nyet

Da
Tsar of DDO
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 12:27:49 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/8/2016 7:03:26 AM, TintinStorm wrote:
It seems European leaders are not able to listen to the voice of reason. Politicians talk about some Russian threat is hanging over Europe.
Perhaps because Russia has engaged in violent irredentism multiple times in just the past decade.

It could remember the phrase of the father of propaganda of the third Reich Joseph Goebbels: "Give me mass media and I will make from any of the people the herd of swine". Perhaps this is what Western friends desire for the Ukrainian people.
I think not. I think the third Reich was rather in favor of violent irredentism. The achievement of Lebensraum-- Anschluss, the Sudetenland, what have you-- was a major goal of the Third Reich, just as the Crimea, South Ossetia, what have you, are major goals of the Putin regime. Opposition to the Putin regime is not exactly driven out of fond memories of the Third Reich's behavior, just the opposite.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 1:53:11 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/9/2016 12:27:49 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 7/8/2016 7:03:26 AM, TintinStorm wrote:
It seems European leaders are not able to listen to the voice of reason. Politicians talk about some Russian threat is hanging over Europe.
Perhaps because Russia has engaged in violent irredentism multiple times in just the past decade.

It could remember the phrase of the father of propaganda of the third Reich Joseph Goebbels: "Give me mass media and I will make from any of the people the herd of swine". Perhaps this is what Western friends desire for the Ukrainian people.
I think not. I think the third Reich was rather in favor of violent irredentism. The achievement of Lebensraum-- Anschluss, the Sudetenland, what have you-- was a major goal of the Third Reich, just as the Crimea, South Ossetia, what have you, are major goals of the Putin regime. Opposition to the Putin regime is not exactly driven out of fond memories of the Third Reich's behavior, just the opposite.

The comparison is a bit faulty. Russia did not annex South Ossetia. Rather, it was in retaliation for Georgia's attempts to break apart from the Russian sphere of influence and join NATO. Likewise, Russia left Ukraine alone until the Ukrainian Revolution of 2014, whenever Ukraine overthrew its pro-russian president and aspired for integration into the EU, which would separate Ukraine from the Russian sphere of influence. So he seized Crimea and stirred up a civil war in the country's east.
Putin is not trying to construct a Second Russian Empire. Rather, there was already an unofficial Russian empire since the collapse of the U.S.S.R, and Putin's trying to preserve it.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 2:00:38 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/9/2016 1:53:11 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 7/9/2016 12:27:49 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 7/8/2016 7:03:26 AM, TintinStorm wrote:
It seems European leaders are not able to listen to the voice of reason. Politicians talk about some Russian threat is hanging over Europe.
Perhaps because Russia has engaged in violent irredentism multiple times in just the past decade.

It could remember the phrase of the father of propaganda of the third Reich Joseph Goebbels: "Give me mass media and I will make from any of the people the herd of swine". Perhaps this is what Western friends desire for the Ukrainian people.
I think not. I think the third Reich was rather in favor of violent irredentism. The achievement of Lebensraum-- Anschluss, the Sudetenland, what have you-- was a major goal of the Third Reich, just as the Crimea, South Ossetia, what have you, are major goals of the Putin regime. Opposition to the Putin regime is not exactly driven out of fond memories of the Third Reich's behavior, just the opposite.

The comparison is a bit faulty. Russia did not annex South Ossetia. Rather, it was in retaliation for Georgia's attempts to break apart from the Russian sphere of influence and join NATO. Likewise, Russia left Ukraine alone until the Ukrainian Revolution of 2014, whenever Ukraine overthrew its pro-russian president and aspired for integration into the EU, which would separate Ukraine from the Russian sphere of influence. So he seized Crimea and stirred up a civil war in the country's east.
Putin is not trying to construct a Second Russian Empire. Rather, there was already an unofficial Russian empire since the collapse of the U.S.S.R, and Putin's trying to preserve it.

In truth, if anyone's trespassing in the region it'd be NATO.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Mr.Wonderful
Posts: 98
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 2:16:38 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
Russia is trying to preserve its territories while NATO is actively seeking to conquer them. Since conquest "hypothetically" goes against everything NATO stands for they need a straw man like Putin to justify these actions. Make no mistake though, NATO is most certainly the aggressor in this conflict in their latest bid for world domination and the potential war with Russia is completely unjustified. Crimea voted to stay under Russian rule since they know that NATO would simply leave them to starve and die. Russia is right to defend itself and its allies... so NATO is doing their best to spin Russia as an "imminent threat" even though Russia has shown no signs of direct aggression against the other European nations and very little interest in conquest beyond retaking territories that were unlawfully stolen. Of course Russia does have vast oil reserves and oil interests in the Middle East opposed to OPEC and that of course makes them a threat... OPEC can't raise fuel prices to $5/gal again with Russia standing in their way and thats a real blow to the United Nations (NATO) plan to enslave humanity.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 4:31:34 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/9/2016 1:53:11 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
The comparison is a bit faulty. Russia did not annex South Ossetia.
Correct, it occupied and puppeted South Ossetia. +10 infamy rather than +20, if you will.

Rather, it was in retaliation for Georgia's attempts to break apart from the Russian sphere of influence and join NATO.
Not exactly peaceful behavior, and certainly not permitted by international norms since the peace of Westphalia, or international law since the Nuremberg precedents. Not exactly the behavior of "Not a threat to Europe."

Likewise, Russia left Ukraine alone until the Ukrainian Revolution of 2014, whenever Ukraine overthrew its pro-russian president and aspired for integration into the EU, which would separate Ukraine from the Russian sphere of influence.
See above.

Putin is not trying to construct a Second Russian Empire. Rather, there was already an unofficial Russian empire since the collapse of the U.S.S.R, and Putin's trying to preserve it.
Because that's so much less threatening to Europe.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 4:35:29 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/9/2016 2:00:38 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
In truth, if anyone's trespassing in the region it'd be NATO.
I don't think you realize this, but there's no legal conception called "sphere of influence" that one can "trespass" upon. The Monroe doctrine is not international law, nor any Russian equivalent. In international law, states are sovereign, and you may only interact with them at their invitation or for a specified list of crimes against humanity with approval of the UN security council.

NATO was interacting with Georgia and Ukraine at their invitation.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 5:05:09 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/9/2016 4:35:29 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 7/9/2016 2:00:38 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
In truth, if anyone's trespassing in the region it'd be NATO.
I don't think you realize this, but there's no legal conception called "sphere of influence" that one can "trespass" upon. The Monroe doctrine is not international law, nor any Russian equivalent. In international law, states are sovereign, and you may only interact with them at their invitation or for a specified list of crimes against humanity with approval of the UN security council.

NATO was interacting with Georgia and Ukraine at their invitation.

Imagine this: in 10 years from now, Canada and Mexico join a (fictional) collective defense organisation called the the "Beijing Defense Pact". As part of this arrangement, China stations 250,000 troops in Mexico and 250,000 troops in Canada.
How would you, as an American, feel about that?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 5:14:55 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
Now, I believe that NATO is a benevolent organisation which would normally mean no harm to Russia, even if it had a chance to invade and easily conquer Russia.
But the Russians do not see it that way.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 9:35:12 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/9/2016 5:05:09 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Imagine this: in 10 years from now, Canada and Mexico join a (fictional) collective defense organisation called the the "Beijing Defense Pact". As part of this arrangement, China stations 250,000 troops in Mexico and 250,000 troops in Canada.
How would you, as an American, feel about that?
That would depend primarily on what precise ideological shifts had led to such an arrangement. China is in no way a plausible ally at present for Canada or Mexico, and neither has had any need to defend itself from the US since about 1940.

Note that 250,000 troops is a ridiculously massive number, no nation on earth would invite that many barring a crisis imminently threatening survival. There are only 50,000 US troops in Japan, and Japan's constitution bars it from making more than a nominal effort to defend itself.

A more accurate analogy is if Russia were to station troops in Cuba right now. Which would be perfectly fine under international law, and would not be any kind of existential threat to the US.

(Yes, I realize, in the Cold War, stationing missiles in Cuba was not treated that way. The Cold War was not an era where international law had any meaning. It was an era where two superpowers were narrowly avoiding an almost inevitable conflict that would have destroyed the world, which creates a lot of moral gray areas that simply don't exist for Russia)

Russia is simply engaging in naked aggression for irredentist purposes, bringing more people under its authoritarian regime. It is not dealing with any kind of existential threat. And no, it doesn't believe it's dealing with some kind of existential threat, contrary to your argument. It knows full well that the West is no threat to it, if it believed otherwise, it would not be stupid enough to do these things. If the West actually had the will to oppose Russia militarily, Russia would no longer exist, it would be replaced with about 10 different countries, within three years, and that's assuming a conventional conflict. No Western government wants such a thing-- the economic results would ruin their ability to be reelected. Russia engages in aggression for the simple reason that it can get away with it because nobody except the victims really cares all that much. It's not frightened of NATO encirclement and lashing out in some desperate effort to prevent it. NATO is an annoyance to Russia, not a threat.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.