Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

Is Jew classified by religion or ethnicity?

tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 2:39:43 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
I see people referring to Jews as they are some ethnicity or race, which I don't understand. Why is that? Are Jews considered to be their own race?
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 3:57:12 PM
Both, technically.

Historically speaking, Jews have been a group of people that have been genetically tied to other (Jewish) populations that came before them--this isn't to say that 'mixing' hasn't took place because it has but there are indeed certain genetic characteristics that can often defined who a Jew is.

For example, someone can have a 'Jewish background' without actually identifying as a Jew through religion. The three major Jewish subgroups are Ashkenazi (European), Sefardi, and Mizrahi...these all have distinguished racial/genetic features--as well as various cultural distinctions.
All the time your soul is craving and longing for something else. And in vain does the dreamer rummage about in his old dreams, raking them over as though they were a heap of cinders, looking in these cinders for some spark, however tiny, to fan it into a flame so as to warm his chilled blood by it and revive in it all that he held so dear before, all that touched his heart, that made his blood course through his veins, that drew tears from his eyes, and that so splendidly deceived him!
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 4:50:06 PM
At 7/8/2016 2:39:43 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
I see people referring to Jews as they are some ethnicity or race, which I don't understand. Why is that? Are Jews considered to be their own race?

Both. Jew is a race. But a nonJew can become of the Jewish faith by conversion.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 7:47:30 PM
At 7/8/2016 3:57:12 PM, Emilrose wrote:
Both, technically.

Historically speaking, Jews have been a group of people that have been genetically tied to other (Jewish) populations that came before them--this isn't to say that 'mixing' hasn't took place because it has but there are indeed certain genetic characteristics that can often defined who a Jew is.

For example, someone can have a 'Jewish background' without actually identifying as a Jew through religion. The three major Jewish subgroups are Ashkenazi (European), Sefardi, and Mizrahi...these all have distinguished racial/genetic features--as well as various cultural distinctions.

Ah I get it now :)

Thanks
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 7:47:42 PM
At 7/8/2016 4:50:06 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 7/8/2016 2:39:43 PM, tajshar2k wrote:

Both. Jew is a race. But a nonJew can become of the Jewish faith by conversion.

I understand now :)
someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 8:38:13 PM
Ethnicity (specifically for the Ashkenazim), unless the context is specified to be religious. Many self-indentified Jews are secular.
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 1:54:47 AM
At 7/8/2016 3:57:12 PM, Emilrose wrote:
Both, technically.

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.