Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

Is Jew classified by religion or ethnicity?

tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 2:39:43 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
I see people referring to Jews as they are some ethnicity or race, which I don't understand. Why is that? Are Jews considered to be their own race?
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 3:57:12 PM
Both, technically.

Historically speaking, Jews have been a group of people that have been genetically tied to other (Jewish) populations that came before them--this isn't to say that 'mixing' hasn't took place because it has but there are indeed certain genetic characteristics that can often defined who a Jew is.

For example, someone can have a 'Jewish background' without actually identifying as a Jew through religion. The three major Jewish subgroups are Ashkenazi (European), Sefardi, and Mizrahi...these all have distinguished racial/genetic features--as well as various cultural distinctions.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 4:50:06 PM
At 7/8/2016 2:39:43 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
I see people referring to Jews as they are some ethnicity or race, which I don't understand. Why is that? Are Jews considered to be their own race?

Both. Jew is a race. But a nonJew can become of the Jewish faith by conversion.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 7:47:30 PM
At 7/8/2016 3:57:12 PM, Emilrose wrote:
Both, technically.

Historically speaking, Jews have been a group of people that have been genetically tied to other (Jewish) populations that came before them--this isn't to say that 'mixing' hasn't took place because it has but there are indeed certain genetic characteristics that can often defined who a Jew is.

For example, someone can have a 'Jewish background' without actually identifying as a Jew through religion. The three major Jewish subgroups are Ashkenazi (European), Sefardi, and Mizrahi...these all have distinguished racial/genetic features--as well as various cultural distinctions.

Ah I get it now :)

Thanks
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 7:47:42 PM
At 7/8/2016 4:50:06 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 7/8/2016 2:39:43 PM, tajshar2k wrote:

Both. Jew is a race. But a nonJew can become of the Jewish faith by conversion.

I understand now :)
someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 8:38:13 PM
Ethnicity (specifically for the Ashkenazim), unless the context is specified to be religious. Many self-indentified Jews are secular.
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 1:54:47 AM
At 7/8/2016 3:57:12 PM, Emilrose wrote:
Both, technically.

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.