Jump to topic:

Violence in the U.S.

Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 12:04:12 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
I think 2016 is one of America's most dangerous years in terms of violence and gun shootings. There have been so many recent gun shootings in like the past few weeks and months!

Christina Grimmie was shot at only 22. May her soul rest in peace.

50 people got killed at Pulse, a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida and 53 people got injured because of a wicked man who brought his gun to the club.

Alton Sterling was killed in Baton Rouge, Louisiana because a gun was pointed towards him. This is pretty similar to the Michael Brown shooting.

A black man shot 12 police officers in Dallas, Texas just because they were white. This is very sad but hopefully, this will wake people up and make people realize that there are black racists too and that racists aren't just white. They can be any skin color.

What do you think about all this recent violence in the US and even in the world? I think it's sad and depressing that some people are just so wicked and heartless.

This definitely calls for stronger security measures, more safety laws, stronger gun laws, and also more equality for everyone!
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 1:10:04 AM
How do you propose that there be 'more equality for everyone? None of these shootings really have any relation to equality--though they are indeed an example of the U.S' (lack-of) gun laws.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 1:47:00 AM
At 7/10/2016 1:10:04 AM, Emilrose wrote:
How do you propose that there be 'more equality for everyone? None of these shootings really have any relation to equality--though they are indeed an example of the U.S' (lack-of) gun laws.

The Dallas shooting has to do with equality. That man shot some people just because they were white, and that is a hate crime! That's also murder! In other words, that shooting is proof that people should be aware that not everyone is this or that and not everyone fits under a certain stereotype.
Vitaminz1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 2:41:36 AM
Police abuse is nothing new. But because of media, it doesn't seem that way. Cell phones have been able to capture police brutality. I would guess that there is a lot less brutality today, since officers are worried about being caught on video. Now that light has been shined on the abuse, we will hopefully change. This violence is good in the long run.
Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 3:27:24 AM
At 7/10/2016 2:41:36 AM, Vitaminz1 wrote:
Police abuse is nothing new. But because of media, it doesn't seem that way. Cell phones have been able to capture police brutality. I would guess that there is a lot less brutality today, since officers are worried about being caught on video. Now that light has been shined on the abuse, we will hopefully change. This violence is good in the long run.

How is this violence good? No violence is good! Violence is evil and it harms innocent people and puts lives in danger!
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 3:39:49 AM
At 7/10/2016 12:04:12 AM, Foodiesoul wrote:
I think 2016 is one of America's most dangerous years in terms of violence and gun shootings. There have been so many recent gun shootings in like the past few weeks and months!

50 people got killed at Pulse, a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida and 53 people got injured because of a wicked man who brought his gun to the club.

Alton Sterling was killed in Baton Rouge, Louisiana because a gun was pointed towards him. This is pretty similar to the Michael Brown shooting.

A black man shot 12 police officers in Dallas, Texas just because they were white. This is very sad but hopefully, this will wake people up and make people realize that there are black racists too and that racists aren't just white. They can be any skin color.

What do you think about all this recent violence in the US and even in the world? I think it's sad and depressing that some people are just so wicked and heartless.

This definitely calls for stronger security measures, more safety laws, stronger gun laws, and also more equality for everyone!

Instead of sensationalised media accounts of murder, you have to look at the numbers. In the average year, about 16,000 people are murdered in this country out of a total population of 320,000,000 people. That is, every year 1 out of every 20,000 Americans are murdered. Thus, as an extremely simplified statistic, if you were to live 100 years, you would have a 1 in 200 chance of ever being murdered, assuming that you are the average person.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 3:52:53 AM
At 7/10/2016 3:39:49 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Instead of sensationalised media accounts of murder, you have to look at the numbers. In the average year, about 16,000 people are murdered in this country out of a total population of 320,000,000 people. That is, every year 1 out of every 20,000 Americans are murdered. Thus, as an extremely simplified statistic, if you were to live 100 years, you would have a 1 in 200 chance of ever being murdered, assuming that you are the average person.

The media doesn't make it look that way. The media makes it look like anyone could be in a violent situation at any time.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 3:56:47 AM
At 7/10/2016 3:52:53 AM, Foodiesoul wrote:

The media doesn't make it look that way. The media makes it look like anyone could be in a violent situation at any time.

That's because people are usually bad judges of this sort of thing. The media reports shootings when they happen, but people usually fail to put it in its proper context and instead conclude that behind every street corner lurks danger.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 4:52:12 PM

I would like to be murdered at the age of 93 instead of dying from old age.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 10:14:48 PM

I think all blacks should be allowed to carry guns.that way the cops have the right to shoot them and blacks have the guns to defend themselves. Today it is too one sided only the cops carry guns and the blacks carry slogans. That make for bad optics.