Jump to topic:

Gary Johnson Criticisms

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 6:40:13 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
One of my favorite memes of the last month was a picture of Gary Johnson winking saying "The worst libertarian you ever heard of... But you have heard of me." I think that about sums up the way most libertarians feel about the Libertarian candidate. He's made a lot of concessions; however, in doing so may become more appealing to voters willing to vote third party in 2016... as well they should.

Johnson is a horrible libertarian. He believes that "Jewish bakers should have to bake Nazi cakes," at least that's what he said, which goes against free market principles and freedom of association. He picked a VP who is hostile toward the second amendment. He wasn't anywhere nearly as harsh on Hillary Clinton regarding her e-mail scandal as he should have been. He is for TPP while every other presidential candidate is against it (though he supports more free markets than any other candidate).

Anyway, the point is that there are a lot of reasons that libertarians don't love Johnson, however, from a politician's standpoint it's easy to see why he's trying to appeal to and appease statists. He's trying to draw from unhappy Democrat and Republican voters; he doesn't have to worry about the libertarians in theory (since he is the most libertarian candidate). That said, what are some of your liberal and conservative criticisms of Gary Johnson? That is, why will you be voting for someone else, for those of you who don't plan on voting for him?
President of DDO
treedancer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 7:55:33 PM
At 7/11/2016 6:40:13 PM, Danielle wrote:
One of my favorite memes of the last month was a picture of Gary Johnson winking saying "The worst libertarian you ever heard of... But you have heard of me." I think that about sums up the way most libertarians feel about the Libertarian candidate. He's made a lot of concessions; however, in doing so may become more appealing to voters willing to vote third party in 2016... as well they should.

Johnson is a horrible libertarian. He believes that "Jewish bakers should have to bake Nazi cakes," at least that's what he said, which goes against free market principles and freedom of association. He picked a VP who is hostile toward the second amendment. He wasn't anywhere nearly as harsh on Hillary Clinton regarding her e-mail scandal as he should have been. He is for TPP while every other presidential candidate is against it (though he supports more free markets than any other candidate).

Anyway, the point is that there are a lot of reasons that libertarians don't love Johnson, however, from a politician's standpoint it's easy to see why he's trying to appeal to and appease statists. He's trying to draw from unhappy Democrat and Republican voters; he doesn't have to worry about the libertarians in theory (since he is the most libertarian candidate). That said, what are some of your liberal and conservative criticisms of Gary Johnson? That is, why will you be voting for someone else, for those of you who don't plan on voting for him?

Just maybe, he,s attempting to get to the 15 percent
in national public opinion polls so he can get into the primetime debate stage.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 8:51:47 PM

From a standpoint of "take what you can get", I would support him, but he is adamantly for anti discrimination laws. He does, however, understand that this is a losing battle in legislature, although I will never agree with his view on it.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 8:52:09 PM
At 7/11/2016 7:55:33 PM, treedancer wrote:

Just maybe, he,s attempting to get to the 15 percent
in national public opinion polls so he can get into the primetime debate stage.

Agreed. He's close to it too.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 9:02:12 PM
His immigration policy is too lax.

And I doubt the appeasement rhetoric will work - at least the way he's using it.
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 10:01:08 PM
At 7/11/2016 9:06:12 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I heard him on NPR, he doesn't do enough to distance himself from the 2 existing parties.

So the alternative is voting for one of the two existing parties...?
President of DDO
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 12:27:11 AM
I'm really frustrated too, with him--although, for me, I think I'm more primarily fixated on his failings in PR. Like someone else said, he's really, really bad at distancing himself from the other two candidates well enough.

I think he'd be a much more successful candidate, at least pragmatically, if he focused in on those things that average voters really do care about--especially cutting military spending. Unfortunately, if you aren't making yourself too mainstream, you're going right for the throat with "THE FIRST THING I'D DO IS ABOLISH THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION."

And I mean, I'm anarchist, you know that. I go even beyond the bounds of the Libertarian Party. Technically, Darryl W. Perry or Marc Allen Feldman were closer to what I really think. All the same, I do think, just as a party, the Libertarian Party needed/needs to maintain some sanity, especially when you have Austin Peterson getting into shouting matches with Johnson supporters at the convention claiming they hate America.

I dunno. That wasn't exactly a comprehensive or really too coherent response, but I wanted to weigh in somehow, and I'm also watching The Bachelorette right now, haha.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 12:31:07 AM
At 7/11/2016 10:01:08 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 7/11/2016 9:06:12 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I heard him on NPR, he doesn't do enough to distance himself from the 2 existing parties.

So the alternative is voting for one of the two existing parties...?

Just my humble opinion, a revolutionary leader can't be an appeaser.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 12:40:28 AM
At 7/12/2016 12:27:11 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
I think he'd be a much more successful candidate, at least pragmatically, if he focused in on those things that average voters really do care about--especially cutting military spending.

Lots of Republicans love military spending. Trump is running on beefing up the military.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 12:41:52 AM
At 7/12/2016 12:31:07 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
Just my humble opinion, a revolutionary leader can't be an appeaser.

They can't alienate everyone from their radical platforms either...

Unfortunately, politics is inevitably about comprimise. And manipulative games.
President of DDO
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 1:11:06 AM
At 7/12/2016 12:40:28 AM, Danielle wrote:
At 7/12/2016 12:27:11 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
I think he'd be a much more successful candidate, at least pragmatically, if he focused in on those things that average voters really do care about--especially cutting military spending.

Lots of Republicans love military spending. Trump is running on beefing up the military.

This is true, but I'm actually thinking about this as a move to appeal to more liberal/Democratic voters. I think that THEY'RE the ones who seem to be the most alienated, or perceive themselves as being the most alienated, from the LP.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 2:48:19 AM
Cannabis Sativa Inc.

Just sayin'.

Maybe I'm the only one who thinks that is funny.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 6:01:01 AM

.. what are some of your liberal and conservative criticisms of Gary Johnson? That is, why will you be voting for someone else, for those of you who don't plan on voting for him?

He supports private prisons. A horribly immoral industry.
BJC
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 8:14:44 PM
My main criticism of Gary is that he isn't as aggressive as he should be. I am a rather pragmatic libertarian so I am not offended by his less libertarian stances. I believe he has good judgement and that he will do the right thing. He is also honest which is huge.