Jump to topic:

The Government Has Only One Job

Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 10:25:20 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
The government has only ONE job which is to protect EVERYONE equally, regardless of whether they're black, white, Asian, male, female, Muslim, Christian, Lebanese, European, etc!

In other words, the government's one true job is to make sure that everyone gets equal justice and gets guaranteed safety, security, and protection.

However, the government can't even do this one job properly and all of the recent events in the news and the tragic tales of misandry, misogyny, and racism just confirm this!

Sometimes, I wonder if the government actually cares about the people. Sometimes, I wonder if that very optimistic song called "We The People" is actually true in this day and age or if it's just a bunch of BS!

The government is greedy af! All it wants is money and to be recognized! The government will literally do anything to become more powerful, even if it involves harming innocent people!

The government has done tons of human experiments, ESPECIALLY the Chinese government. The U.S. government has created drones to kill certain people all over the world!

Does the government REALLY care about the people or is the government just full of greedy b**ches who promise that they're going to do all these great things and then end up not doing it?
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 10:48:25 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/12/2016 10:25:20 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
The government has only ONE job which is to protect EVERYONE equally, regardless of whether they're black, white, Asian, male, female, Muslim, Christian, Lebanese, European, etc!

By November 2015, the police had killed over 1,000 people that year. Of those, only about 20% were completely unarmed. Blacks were killed disproportionately for sure, but the racial group which saw the most of its people killed by cops was whites. The shootings occurred during various violent confrontations with officers and attempts by the victims to resist arrest. To put this in its proper context, 1 in 300,000 Americans were killed by cops in the year 2015 (in comparison, about 10 times that many people are born here on the average DAY), and the large majority of those killed were asking for it.

In other words, the government's one true job is to make sure that everyone gets equal justice and gets guaranteed safety, security, and protection.

However, the government can't even do this one job properly and all of the recent events in the news and the tragic tales of misandry, misogyny, and racism just confirm this!

Misandry, misogyny, and racism as social ills are all blown way out of proportion by the media.

Sometimes, I wonder if the government actually cares about the people. Sometimes, I wonder if that very optimistic song called "We The People" is actually true in this day and age or if it's just a bunch of BS!

The government is greedy af! All it wants is money and to be recognized! The government will literally do anything to become more powerful, even if it involves harming innocent people!

The government has done tons of human experiments, ESPECIALLY the Chinese government. The U.S. government has created drones to kill certain people all over the world!

The drone strikes target terrorists, and their deaths serve to make the United States and its allies more secure. Some collateral civilian deaths happen because the terrorists in question refuse to isolate themselves from the general civilian population of their respective countries, despite knowing the danger that they put their fellow countrymen in.

Does the government REALLY care about the people or is the government just full of greedy b**ches who promise that they're going to do all these great things and then end up not doing it?

Governments are established for the benefit of the people, and our own country's government has low levels of corruption when compared to most countries.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 11:41:20 PM
Posted: 4 months ago

The government only has 3 jobs - ensure the national defense, enforce property rights, and maintain law. Nothing more.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 11:42:29 PM
At 7/12/2016 11:41:20 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

The government only has 3 jobs - ensure the national defense, enforce property rights, and maintain law. Nothing more.

You forgot to mention give everyone equal rights.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 11:43:49 PM
At 7/12/2016 11:42:29 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:

No, I said 3 things and I listed 3 things. I didn't forget anything.

"Government has three primary functions. It should provide for military defense of the nation. It should enforce contracts between individuals. It should protect citizens from crimes against themselves or their property. When government-- in pursuit of good intentions tries to rearrange the economy, legislate morality, or help special interests, the cost come in inefficiency, lack of motivation, and loss of freedom. Government should be a referee, not an active player." - Milton Friedman
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 11:47:44 PM
At 7/12/2016 11:43:49 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

"Government has three primary functions. It should provide for military defense of the nation. It should enforce contracts between individuals. It should protect citizens from crimes against themselves or their property. When government-- in pursuit of good intentions tries to rearrange the economy, legislate morality, or help special interests, the cost come in inefficiency, lack of motivation, and loss of freedom. Government should be a referee, not an active player." - Milton Friedman

"You can not possibly have a broader basis for government than that which includes all the people, with all their rights in their hands, and with an equal power to maintain their rights." -William Lloyd Garrison
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 11:48:44 PM
At 7/12/2016 11:47:44 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:

"You can not possibly have a broader basis for government than that which includes all the people, with all their rights in their hands, and with an equal power to maintain their rights." -William Lloyd Garrison

That quote has absolutely no basis in this discussion. The rights are clearly laid out in Friedman's quote.

Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 11:53:21 PM

There isn't an inherent duty for a government to do this; besides--how do you define those 'equal rights'? In theory and certainly in practice there's nothing wrong with some equal rights (right to work, etc.)...but these are rights that fulfill a specific purpose.

'Give everyone equal rights' is just a vague statement.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 11:53:26 PM
At 7/12/2016 11:48:44 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

That quote has absolutely no basis in this discussion. The rights are clearly laid out in Friedman's quote.

Friedman did not mention a single thing in his quote about equal rights which are just as important as national defense, property rights, and law maintenance.

https://en.wikipedia.org...
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 11:55:50 PM
At 7/12/2016 11:53:26 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
At 7/12/2016 11:48:44 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Friedman did not mention a single thing in his quote about equal rights which are just as important as national defense, property rights, and law maintenance.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

His quote wasn't about equal rights, if you actually took the time to read it. His quote was about the usage of government.

Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 11:56:43 PM
At 7/12/2016 11:53:21 PM, Emilrose wrote:

There isn't an inherent duty for a government to do this; besides--how do you define those 'equal rights'? In theory and certainly in practice there's nothing wrong with some equal rights (right to work, etc.)...but these are rights that fulfill a specific purpose.

By equal rights, I mean that no one gets oppressed in society and everyone gets treated fairly. That's what I mean by equal rights. Men and women, blacks and whites, Christians and Muslims, EVERY SINGLE PERSON deserves to be treated EQUALLY!

Consider the fact that women generally get lighter prison sentences than men and the fact that the Black Lives Matter movement is kind of biased towards white people and just gives black people more privileges.
Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 11:59:39 PM
At 7/12/2016 11:55:58 PM, Semiya wrote:
The government has a lot more than one job.

For the most part, the government is just put into place to protect us and give everyone safety and equal treatment but the government pretty much revolves around a little bit of everything: nature & the environment, education and proper schooling, the economy, management, science & research, and a WHOLE bunch of other things!
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 12:00:34 AM
At 7/12/2016 11:56:43 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:

By equal rights, I mean that no one gets oppressed in society and everyone gets treated fairly. That's what I mean by equal rights. Men and women, blacks and whites, Christians and Muslims, EVERY SINGLE PERSON deserves to be treated EQUALLY!

Consider the fact that women generally get lighter prison sentences than men and the fact that the Black Lives Matter movement is kind of biased towards white people and just gives black people more privileges.

Those aren't equal rights, those are equal protections. You are protected from discrimination, as you do not have a right not to be discriminated against in the Constitution. It's a protection, not a right.

Nonetheless, equal rights would equate to the Bill of Rights, as that's all that is needed, nothing more.

Foodiesoul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 12:03:11 AM
At 7/13/2016 12:00:34 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Those aren't equal rights, those are equal protections. You are protected from discrimination, as you do not have a right not to be discriminated against in the Constitution. It's a protection, not a right.

Nonetheless, equal rights would equate to the Bill of Rights, as that's all that is needed, nothing more.

If people are protected from discrimination, then why does discrimination still happen?

Protection is a right as everyone has a right to be safe from crime, violence, and abuse of any sort, especially sexual abuse and physical abuse.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 12:05:49 AM
At 7/13/2016 12:03:11 AM, Foodiesoul wrote:
At 7/13/2016 12:00:34 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

If people are protected from discrimination, then why does discrimination still happen?

Discrimination, as in, you cannot deny someone service or employment on the basis of their skin. You cannot protect against discrimination from all fronts, as it's humanely impossible.

Protection is a right as everyone has a right to be safe from crime, violence, and abuse of any sort, especially sexual abuse and physical abuse.

Well, not necessarily. Since you have a right to life, liberty, and property, that means that innately, taking that away is illegal. Murder, theft, rape, etc. are taking away those rights, which is illegal.

evanjfarrar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 12:06:36 AM

Well sorry, that's politics for you. Do remember you have the right to vote, and using it is an instrument for change.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 12:14:30 AM

Well, again--how would you define 'oppression'? One could argue that on the basis of human nature alone, it's impossible to treat absolutely everyone fairly. I also don't see any evidence from you that there is 'every single person' does indeed 'deserve to be treated equally'. Would that assertion include criminals? Or people that have invariably forfeited a right to be treated with complete equality? In the sense that they're given the same rights as everybody else regardless of what they do or don't do.

Certainly the latter doesn't bare any relation to lack of equality towards white people, though. As far as I was aware, Black Lives Matter doesn't shape the view of society as a whole--or have the legislative power to revert any 'privileges' away from white people.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 1:54:02 AM

Promote the general welfare - The US Constitution
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 1:56:21 AM
At 7/13/2016 1:54:02 AM, TBR wrote:

That section of the preamble refers to police and so on. General welfare doesn't equate to the welfare systems we have now.

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 2:05:36 AM
At 7/13/2016 1:56:21 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

That section of the preamble refers to police and so on. General welfare doesn't equate to the welfare systems we have now.

Police? Really you think it is talking to policing? Yea, OK. Find me anyone who agrees with you on that one.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 2:07:38 AM
At 7/13/2016 2:05:36 AM, TBR wrote:

Police? Really you think it is talking to policing? Yea, OK. Find me anyone who agrees with you on that one.

The U.S. Supreme Court has held the mention of the clause in the Preamble to the U.S. Constitution "has never been regarded as the source of any substantive power conferred on the Government of the United States or on any of its Departments."

So, this clause in the preamble doesn't actually give any power to the government. It's simply a broad statement.

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 2:10:38 AM

Tell you what. Lets do it another way. Show me how it is unconstitutional to interpret it as it is, and apply it to general welfare (health, security, equality)?
someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 2:11:03 AM
Maximize the standard of living and freedom (in a true, not legalistic sense.)

Why/to what end?
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 2:13:20 AM
At 7/13/2016 2:10:38 AM, TBR wrote:

Tell you what. Lets do it another way. Show me how it is unconstitutional to interpret it as it is, and apply it to general welfare (health, security, equality)?

No, we're not going to go at it that way.

The United States Supreme Court, which is the highest judiciary power, has stated that the preamble to the Constitution is not in any way a delegation of power to the government or any of its departments. If you would like, I could quote you the entire case that this was stated in. In addition, the preamble's to all documents and contracts are non binding, as they are simply introductions, rather than anything that "matters".

Therefore, the statement "promote the general welfare" is not in any way a function of government as allotted in the Constitution.

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 2:16:07 AM
At 7/13/2016 2:11:03 AM, someloser wrote:
Maximize the standard of living and freedom (in a true, not legalistic sense.)

Why/to what end?

Read the remainder of my comment. The quote by Friedman is what I believe the government should do, and only that.

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 2:17:18 AM
At 7/13/2016 2:13:20 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

The United States Supreme Court, which is the highest judiciary power, has stated that the preamble to the Constitution is not in any way a delegation of power to the government or any of its departments. If you would like, I could quote you the entire case that this was stated in. In addition, the preamble's to all documents and contracts are non binding, as they are simply introductions, rather than anything that "matters".

Therefore, the statement "promote the general welfare" is not in any way a function of government as allotted in the Constitution.

That is a fare point. However, the term is NOT limited to the preamble. It is in the Taxing and Spending Clause. So.... Try reading the thing. Its not long you know.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 2:20:11 AM
At 7/13/2016 2:17:18 AM, TBR wrote:
At 7/13/2016 2:13:20 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

That is a fare point. However, the term is NOT limited to the preamble. It is in the Taxing and Spending Clause. So.... Try reading the thing. Its not long you know.

If you could hold back the snarky comments, that would be rather helpful. Otherwise, there's no need to continue a conversation with a brick wall.

I am not debating whether or not "promote the general welfare" as stated in the Constitution as a whole is devoid of meaning. I am arguing that the term in the preamble is devoid of meaning as it doesn't assign any power to the government.

The Supreme Court held the understanding of the General Welfare Clause contained in the Taxing and Spending Clause adheres to the construction given it by Associate Justice Joseph Story in his 1833 Commentaries on the Constitution of the United States. Justice Story concluded that the General Welfare Clause is not a grant of general legislative power, but a qualification on the taxing power which includes within it a federal power to spend federal revenues on matters of general interest to the federal government. The Court described Justice Story's view as the "Hamiltonian position", as Alexander Hamilton had elaborated his view of the taxing and spending powers in his 1791 Report on Manufactures. Story, however, attributes the position's initial appearance to Thomas Jefferson, in his Opinion on the Bank of the United States.

These clauses in the U.S. Constitution are an atypical use of a general welfare clause, and are not considered grants of a general legislative power to the federal government.