Midnight1131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2016 9:42:30 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/15/2016 8:37:15 PM, RonaldTrumpkin wrote:
http://www.bbc.com...

I'm hearing from a lot of people that Turkey's military is responsible for keeping their country secular, apparently in keeping up with the values of Araturk. They've also released statements condeming Erdogan's Islamist, anti-secular rhetoric. This seems like a good thing.
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2016 9:47:14 PM
While it's too early to tell if the coup will be successful, or even if the members of the coup actually support freedom and secularism, this is still a very promising sign. Erdogan is, in large part, responsible for the decline of Turkey's status and human rights in the last five years, and this coup could be the first step in reversing his detrimental policies.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2016 9:48:17 PM
At 7/15/2016 9:33:50 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 7/15/2016 9:21:10 PM, 1Percenter wrote:
Good. Erdogan really needs to GTFO.

It's that racist Trump's fault.

Totally bro
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2016 10:24:37 PM
This reporter's tweets make me lol: https://twitter.com...

- "Loud chanting drifting in from Taksim, Can anyone nearer to it hear what they're saying? Drowned out by a weird mix of seagulls & gunfire."

" My part of Istanbul deadly quiet, but for occasional sounds of jets. Others say they hear calls for ppl to gather outside, over loudspeakers

- "I take that back, now i hear rapid gunfire in the streets."
ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2016 10:38:42 PM
At 7/15/2016 8:37:15 PM, RonaldTrumpkin wrote:
http://www.bbc.com...

I enjoyed it when the Turkish football hooligans took over parliament:)
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2016 10:48:36 PM
At 7/15/2016 9:47:14 PM, Subutai wrote:
While it's too early to tell if the coup will be successful, or even if the members of the coup actually support freedom and secularism, this is still a very promising sign. Erdogan is, in large part, responsible for the decline of Turkey's status and human rights in the last five years, and this coup could be the first step in reversing his detrimental policies.

I've heard that the they're something called Gulenists. It's some kind of Islamic movement.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2016 11:51:27 PM
I pretty much "called this" in my "Is Turkey 'bad'" thread lol
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 12:16:16 AM
At 7/15/2016 10:48:36 PM, Death23 wrote:

I've heard that the they're something called Gulenists. It's some kind of Islamic movement.

Fethullah Gulen is a political enemy of Erdogan. He began a self-imposed exile to Pennsylvania a few years ago after a struggle against Erdogan and his consolidation of power failed.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 12:20:31 AM
At 7/16/2016 12:16:16 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 7/15/2016 10:48:36 PM, Death23 wrote:

Fethullah Gulen is a political enemy of Erdogan. He began a self-imposed exile to Pennsylvania a few years ago after a struggle against Erdogan and his consolidation of power failed.

Scratch that: he went into exile a bit over a decade ago and became a political enemy of Erdogan after a struggle a few years ago.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King