Clinton To Overturn Citizens United

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 10:53:10 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
http://www.politico.com...

Clinton, right after she benefits from winning an election through the millions donated by Super PACs, will introduce an Amendment that overturns Citizens United, which has been credited as giving rise to Super PACs in the first place.

The pot calling the kettle back. What an absolute hypocrite.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 11:02:16 PM
At 7/16/2016 10:53:10 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Clinton, right after she benefits from winning an election through the millions donated by Super PACs, will introduce an Amendment that overturns Citizens United, which has been credited as giving rise to Super PACs in the first place.

I'm for overturning Citizens United v FEC decision. This is uncharacteristic of her, got wonder if this was negotiated for her endorsement by Sanders.
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 11:03:49 PM
At 7/16/2016 11:02:16 PM, ironslippers wrote:

I'm for overturning Citizens United v FEC decision. This is uncharacteristic of her, got wonder if this was negotiated for her endorsement by Sanders.

I do not want Citizens United overturned. I do, however, want Clinton to be imprisoned.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 11:29:45 PM

+1
Her words on this issue are meaningless. If she is really committed to this she should give back all those donations from Monsanto, Wall Street Banks, the MIC and Big Oil.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 11:32:05 PM
At 7/16/2016 11:29:45 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:

+1
Her words on this issue are meaningless. If she is really committed to this she should give back all those donations from Monsanto, Wall Street Banks, the MIC and Big Oil.

+1

BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 11:35:21 PM
At 7/16/2016 11:03:49 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

I do not want Citizens United overturned

Are corporations people?
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 11:36:57 PM
At 7/16/2016 11:35:21 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:

Are corporations people?

According to a Supreme Court ruling, yes.

BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 11:40:02 PM
At 7/16/2016 11:36:57 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Are corporations people?

Okay, so I can go have a drink with a corporation, and mary a corporation and have kids with a corporation, and if they have a heart attack, I can perform CPR on a corporation.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 11:41:55 PM
At 7/16/2016 11:40:02 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:

Are corporations people?

Okay, so I can go have a drink with a corporation, and mary a corporation and have kids with a corporation, and if they have a heart attack, I can perform CPR on a corporation.

Corporations have limited person-hood, by law. This doesn't mean you can marry Boeing, but you can sue Boeing.

BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 11:44:54 PM
At 7/16/2016 11:41:55 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Are corporations people?

Corporations have limited person-hood, by law. This doesn't mean you can marry Boeing, but you can sue Boeing.

Being able to sue something doesn't make it a person. I agree it should be legal to sue corporations, however, personhood status should only be given to people, ie Human beings.
Corporations are not people, unless people are born in lawyers offices, have no souls and cannot die.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 11:46:24 PM
At 7/16/2016 11:44:54 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:

Are corporations people?

Being able to sue something doesn't make it a person. I agree it should be legal to sue corporations, however, personhood status should only be given to people, ie Human beings.
Corporations are not people, unless people are born in lawyers offices, have no souls and cannot die.

That's why I, and the Supreme Court, said "limited person-hood". This is because corporations are a collective of individuals, and thus they have collective representation within that corporation.

BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 11:48:14 PM
At 7/16/2016 11:46:24 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Are corporations people?

That's why I, and the Supreme Court, said "limited person-hood". This is because corporations are a collective of individuals, and thus they have collective representation within that corporation.

This does not mean that these institutions should be entitled to all the constitutional rights that individuals enjoy. The individuals in the group are entitled to these rights, but corporations are not.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 11:52:32 PM
At 7/16/2016 11:48:14 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 7/16/2016 11:46:24 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Are corporations people?

This does not mean that these institutions should be entitled to all the constitutional rights that individuals enjoy. The individuals in the group are entitled to these rights, but corporations are not.

Corporate person-hood is the legal notion that a corporation, separately from its associated human beings (like owners, managers, or employees), has some, but not all, of the legal rights and responsibilities enjoyed by natural persons (physical humans). For example, corporations have the right to enter into contracts with other parties and to sue or be sued in court in the same way as natural persons or unincorporated associations of persons.

The basis for allowing corporations to assert protection under the U.S. Constitution is that they are organizations of people, and the people should not be deprived of their constitutional rights when they act collectively. In this view, treating corporations as "persons" is a convenient legal fiction which allows corporations to sue and to be sued, provides a single entity for easier taxation and regulation, simplifies complex transactions that would otherwise involve, in the case of large corporations, thousands of people, and protects the individual rights of the shareholders as well as the right of association.

Semiya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2016 12:01:30 AM
If I believed for a second she would do this, I might be able to stomach her long enough to vote for her. But I don't.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2016 12:18:02 AM
At 7/17/2016 12:01:30 AM, Semiya wrote:
If I believed for a second she would do this, I might be able to stomach her long enough to vote for her. But I don't.

Even though her doing this makes her into an absolute hypocrite? Or is it the fact that over-ruling Citizens United is stupid.

In fact, this makes me dislike her even more.

BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2016 12:19:31 AM

Nor do I
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2016 12:43:24 AM

Clinton doesn't really "benefit" from super pacs. They have become a liability for her.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2016 12:44:50 AM
At 7/17/2016 12:43:24 AM, YYW wrote:

Clinton doesn't really "benefit" from super pacs. They have become a liability for her.

She takes millions from them. Also, unmure your mic.

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2016 12:45:37 AM
At 7/17/2016 12:44:50 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

She takes millions from them. Also, unmure your mic.

Mic is muted and tab is muted. I have no idea what you're saying. Buddy of mine came over for dinner...
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2016 12:48:26 AM
At 7/17/2016 12:45:37 AM, YYW wrote:

She takes millions from them. Also, unmute your mic.

Mic is muted and tab is muted. I have no idea what you're saying. Buddy of mine came over for dinner...

Oh okay

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2016 12:50:48 AM
At 7/17/2016 12:48:26 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Oh okay

We should continue our various conversations in the society forum as well.

Things 'a coulda' geta' bita' spicya' ina' herea'

hahaha
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2016 12:53:57 AM
At 7/17/2016 12:50:48 AM, YYW wrote:

Oh okay

hahaha

lol

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2016 12:54:43 AM
At 7/17/2016 12:53:57 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Oh okay

hahaha

lol

He's getting ready to leave...
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2016 1:01:06 AM
At 7/17/2016 12:54:43 AM, YYW wrote:

Oh okay

hahaha

lol

Hiu and Agent Orange are added to the list of notable idiots. Maybe I should make a google document to keep track.

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2016 1:03:09 AM
At 7/17/2016 1:01:06 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Oh okay

hahaha

lol

Hiu and Agent Orange are added to the list of notable idiots. Maybe I should make a google document to keep track.

No, Agent_Orange is not a bad guy. He's just got strong feelings. Idk what a Hiu is.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2016 1:03:53 AM
At 7/17/2016 1:03:09 AM, YYW wrote:
At 7/17/2016 1:01:06 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Oh okay

hahaha

lol

No, Agent_Orange is not a bad guy. He's just got strong feelings. Idk what a Hiu is.

Being a good guy doesn't disqualify someone from being an idiot.

Semiya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2016 2:02:17 AM
At 7/17/2016 12:18:02 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Even though her doing this makes her into an absolute hypocrite? Or is it the fact that over-ruling Citizens United is stupid.

The former, really. Citizens United was a disastrous decision that gives corporations the right to buy elections.

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2016 2:06:26 AM
At 7/17/2016 2:02:17 AM, Semiya wrote:

The former, really. Citizens United was a disastrous decision that gives corporations the right to buy elections.

The Citizens United ruling "opened the door" for unlimited election spending by corporations, but most of this spending has "ended up being funneled through the groups that have become known as super PACs". While critics predicted that the ruling would "bring about a new era of corporate influence in politics" allowing companies and businesspeople to "buy elections" to promote their financial interests, as of 2016, in fact large corporations still play a "negligible role" in presidential election spending. Instead large expenditures, usually through "Super PACS," have come from "a small group of billionaires", based largely on ideology. This has shifted power "away from the political parties and toward the ... donors themselves. In part, this explains the large number and variety of candidates fielded by the Republicans in 2016."The ability of individuals to spend unlimited sums was first affirmed by the Supreme Court, however, not in Citizens United, but in Buckley v. Valeo, decided in 1976.

Semiya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2016 2:44:07 AM
At 7/17/2016 2:06:26 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

The Citizens United ruling "opened the door" for unlimited election spending by corporations, but most of this spending has "ended up being funneled through the groups that have become known as super PACs". While critics predicted that the ruling would "bring about a new era of corporate influence in politics" allowing companies and businesspeople to "buy elections" to promote their financial interests, as of 2016, in fact large corporations still play a "negligible role" in presidential election spending. Instead large expenditures, usually through "Super PACS," have come from "a small group of billionaires", based largely on ideology. This has shifted power "away from the political parties and toward the ... donors themselves. In part, this explains the large number and variety of candidates fielded by the Republicans in 2016."The ability of individuals to spend unlimited sums was first affirmed by the Supreme Court, however, not in Citizens United, but in Buckley v. Valeo, decided in 1976.

I'm well aware of Buckley v Valeo. It's nearly as big a problem as Citizens United and needs to be dealt with soon afterward.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2016 2:45:06 AM
At 7/17/2016 2:44:07 AM, Semiya wrote:
At 7/17/2016 2:06:26 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

I'm well aware of Buckley v Valeo. It's nearly as big a problem as Citizens United and needs to be dealt with soon afterward.

Neither of them need to be dealt with. I'm as opposed to corporate influence over government as you are, but not to the point where I will restrict legal rights just for a vendetta against a small group.