Jump to topic:

Turkish Coup a False Flag?

BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 7:21:13 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
With little being known about the Coup that took place on Friday as of now, however, many in Turkey believe that the coup may have really been staged. Erdogan has long been working to expand his power by making Turkey a Presidential republic.
Among those who believe this theory is Deniz Baykal, the Former Leader of the opposition CHP who has lived through several coup attempts.

Was it a false flag? I don't know.
Is Erdogan trying to expand his power? Most definitely.
Thoughts?
AnnaCzereda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 10:13:11 PM
All right. Let's say it has all been staged. What about the casualties and those who were imprisoned? Did they willingly sacrifice themselves? It doesn't make sense.
He wished to turn his countenance from the smoldering rubble, but saw from amidst the embers that a few chaff would not burn away. To these, he stared into the eye of God sneering, and called them, 'Promethean.'
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 11:13:46 PM
At 7/18/2016 10:13:11 PM, AnnaCzereda wrote:
All right. Let's say it has all been staged. What about the casualties and those who were imprisoned? Did they willingly sacrifice themselves? It doesn't make sense.

Those who were killed were protesters against the coup, most of them also opponents of Erdogan. Regardless, I am not saying I believe it, but Erdogan is certainly using it to expand his power.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 11:53:48 PM
At 7/18/2016 7:21:13 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
With little being known about the Coup that took place on Friday as of now, however, many in Turkey believe that the coup may have really been staged. Erdogan has long been working to expand his power by making Turkey a Presidential republic.
Among those who believe this theory is Deniz Baykal, the Former Leader of the opposition CHP who has lived through several coup attempts.

Thoughts?

Its a very interesting conspiracy theory. I'd have to see more evidence to believe it though, its just speculation now
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 12:57:17 AM

A lot of the soldiers who participated were apparently told that it was an exercise.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 12:58:35 AM

Thoughts?

This was my first thought. It benefits him immensely, harms him little, and nobody else, as far as I can see, has any motive. Either he did it himself, or someone sympathetic to his rise to power supported it and then tipped him off.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 1:04:32 AM
At 7/19/2016 12:58:35 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Thoughts?

This was my first thought. It benefits him immensely, harms him little, and nobody else, as far as I can see, has any motive. Either he did it himself, or someone sympathetic to his rise to power supported it and then tipped him off.

He at least had to have had prior warning
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 4:18:30 AM

Thoughts?

People with whom I have spoken who have people in the region have suggested that the coup was staged as well, and that what will likely follow are show trials designed to eliminate the president's enemies under the pretext of supporting democracy but in reality just to consolidate his power.

But again, Idk.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 4:21:19 AM

No. The rumor is that Erdogan knew of the coup and had his people encourage it on, so that he could use the chaos as a show of strength.

It was staged only insofar as Erdogan knew it was going to happen, and then allowed it to happen to advance his own political agenda.

The other option was that he could have quashed it, but he let it happen because he is going to use it as a chance to purge his political enemies.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 4:23:41 AM
At 7/18/2016 11:53:48 PM, Hayd wrote:

Thoughts?

Its a very interesting conspiracy theory. I'd have to see more evidence to believe it though, its just speculation now

It's not really a conspiracy. It was a very politically savvy move on Erdogan's part. Basically, his people figured out the coup was coming. Then he positioned himself to use it to his advantage rather than just putting it to rest.

So, he let the fire burn out so that he could then use it as an opportunity to purge his political enemies and consolidate his power. Basically, it's very similar to what Saddam Hussein did in the 1980s several times.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 4:27:52 AM
I'll tell you this, though... Erdogan is a worthless piece of sh!t, but he is also the democratically elected worthless piece of sh!t.

Bottom line is that Turkey put someone in power who is the functional equivalent of a member of the Muslim Brotherhood, which is disgusting.

Turkey does business with ISIS, which is even more disgusting.

Turkey has pretty much betrayed Europe with its ties to ISIS, and Erdogan, in particular, has been behind that.

Really, I would consider removing them from NATO, were I in a position to do that.
Tsar of DDO
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 8:25:39 AM
At 7/19/2016 4:27:52 AM, YYW wrote:
I'll tell you this, though... Erdogan is a worthless piece of sh!t, but he is also the democratically elected worthless piece of sh!t.

Bottom line is that Turkey put someone in power who is the functional equivalent of a member of the Muslim Brotherhood, which is disgusting.

Turkey does business with ISIS, which is even more disgusting.

Turkey has pretty much betrayed Europe with its ties to ISIS, and Erdogan, in particular, has been behind that.

Really, I would consider removing them from NATO, were I in a position to do that.

If Turkey were ejected from NATO there would then be a large unstable, Islamic (possibly Islamacist) nation on Europe's doorstep. Not an edifying prospect.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 6:37:00 PM

Thoughts?

The leader that Erdogan is would make Ataturk cringe at what his country has become.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 6:38:01 PM

Thoughts?

I actually wouldn't be surprised though if this actually was the case. Erdogan is an awful power-hungry Islamist in disguise.
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 6:40:09 PM
At 7/19/2016 6:38:01 PM, triangle.128k wrote:

Thoughts?

I actually wouldn't be surprised though if this actually was the case. Erdogan is an awful power-hungry Islamist in disguise.

He's certainly power hungry, with some Islamist leanings. He isn't like the Muslim Brotherhood, but he certainly is power hungry.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 6:42:40 PM
At 7/19/2016 6:40:09 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 7/19/2016 6:38:01 PM, triangle.128k wrote:

Thoughts?

He's certainly power hungry, with some Islamist leanings. He isn't like the Muslim Brotherhood, but he certainly is power hungry.

Ataturk would have this guy executed if he were still alive, Erdogan is a disgrace to secularism, and Turkey. I don't support the EU but they need to keep Turkey out, and Turkey needs to be kicked out of NATO as well.

I sincerely hope that Turkey doesn't have an Islamic revolution.
AnnaCzereda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 12:31:54 PM
At 7/19/2016 4:21:19 AM, YYW wrote:
No. The rumor is that Erdogan knew of the coup and had his people encourage it on, so that he could use the chaos as a show of strength.

It was staged only insofar as Erdogan knew it was going to happen, and then allowed it to happen to advance his own political agenda.

The other option was that he could have quashed it, but he let it happen because he is going to use it as a chance to purge his political enemies.

It is also possible that the soldiers preparing the coup learned that they were under investigation and started the coup earlier than it was planned for the fear of arrests.

http://www.aljazeera.com...

Besides, Erdogan seriously weakened the Turkish army earlier by arresting plenty of officers.
He wished to turn his countenance from the smoldering rubble, but saw from amidst the embers that a few chaff would not burn away. To these, he stared into the eye of God sneering, and called them, 'Promethean.'