Jump to topic:

Presidential

jsmill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 6:39:55 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
As the 2016 Presidential election draws near I find my self pondering what the profile of a President ought to be. What qualifies or makes one a suitable candidate for the presidency? Hamilton, one of the US founding fathers and a supporter of the concept of a president, claimed that the position would be filled by men (or women) "preeminent for ability and virtue." While this may seem like a short list, I think society would be hard pressed to find an individual that meets this criteria. At the very least I think most reasonable people would agree that Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton do not meet this criteria. Virtue is often defined as "moral excellence; goodness; righteousness." (1)

I am curious, are there any fans of these two candidates that would describe them as virtuous? If so, why?

(1) http://www.dictionary.com...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2016 8:57:47 PM
I wouldn't consider Clinton or Trump virtuous. As for what makes a good POTUS, I think it depends on the nature of government at the time. Today, the POTUS plays a significant role as our representative in foreign affairs. I think Trump would be horrible in that regard. I think he would be an arrogant, embarrassing and aggressive leader whose bravado would lead to hostile relations and disrupt + complicate trade, which is bad for business.

While I consider Hillary to be a lying and conniving demagogue, I have to admit that I think she would be a better representative if not a better leader. I also think that she has a lot of useful experience in Washington and is very familiar with politicking around the political landscape. While I understand why some people praise Trump's "take no sh!t" personality, I don't think he would have a lot of friends in Washington -- and politics is all about negotiation. Trump can negotiate in business where he has leverage: wealth, power and connections.

In politics, Trump has a lot of enemies and not many friends in high places. He's managed to piss off both the Washington elite and people in some of the biggest money making industries, like Wall Street and businesses that rely on free trade. He wouldn't get a lot of his stated goals accomplished (thank God) and where he was successful, would probably hurt the U.S. So I suppose vision is important as well. Some integrity would also be nice.
President of DDO
jsmill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 5:56:29 AM
At 7/19/2016 8:57:47 PM, Danielle wrote:
I wouldn't consider Clinton or Trump virtuous. As for what makes a good POTUS, I think it depends on the nature of government at the time. Today, the POTUS plays a significant role as our representative in foreign affairs. I think Trump would be horrible in that regard. I think he would be an arrogant, embarrassing and aggressive leader whose bravado would lead to hostile relations and disrupt + complicate trade, which is bad for business.

While I consider Hillary to be a lying and conniving demagogue, I have to admit that I think she would be a better representative if not a better leader. I also think that she has a lot of useful experience in Washington and is very familiar with politicking around the political landscape. While I understand why some people praise Trump's "take no sh!t" personality, I don't think he would have a lot of friends in Washington -- and politics is all about negotiation. Trump can negotiate in business where he has leverage: wealth, power and connections.

In politics, Trump has a lot of enemies and not many friends in high places. He's managed to piss off both the Washington elite and people in some of the biggest money making industries, like Wall Street and businesses that rely on free trade. He wouldn't get a lot of his stated goals accomplished (thank God) and where he was successful, would probably hurt the U.S. So I suppose vision is important as well. Some integrity would also be nice.

Certainly, Hillary has a plethora of experience, especially in foriegn affairs. At least, one would hope as she was Secretary of State. I agree Trump would be awful. I suppose the arguement could be made that many people are great leaders despite personal flaws. Though, it would be nice to have a virtuous leader.
Beisht_Kione
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 6:26:20 AM
At 7/19/2016 6:39:55 PM, jsmill wrote:
As the 2016 Presidential election draws near I find my self pondering what the profile of a President ought to be. What qualifies or makes one a suitable candidate for the presidency? Hamilton, one of the US founding fathers and a supporter of the concept of a president, claimed that the position would be filled by men (or women) "preeminent for ability and virtue." While this may seem like a short list, I think society would be hard pressed to find an individual that meets this criteria. At the very least I think most reasonable people would agree that Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton do not meet this criteria. Virtue is often defined as "moral excellence; goodness; righteousness." (1)

I am curious, are there any fans of these two candidates that would describe them as virtuous? If so, why?

I know I'm straying from the question a bit, but I believe that Gary Johnson could be described as virtuous or at least more virtuous than Clinton or Trump. He believes in a fairly specific set of values, entered politics with the goal of introducing said values into the system and achieved that goal as governor of New Mexico. He has a proven track record of applying the ideals he believes in and there is little question amongst his supporters or by those who know about him, whether he will stick with or at least stand by his plan.
So, for that reason, I would say that Johnson would be the most virtuous.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 1:21:17 AM
At 7/19/2016 6:39:55 PM, jsmill wrote:

None of them are virtuous. I would say Clinton is a lot more virtuous than Trump. However, Clinton is an awful awful person.