Jump to topic:

Cuban on Trump

twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 2:59:58 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
One of the biggest illusions that Trump conveys is that because he is rich, he is good at business. Actual good businessman do not like Trump. Originally Cuban was a big fan of Trump saying this:

"I don't care what his actual positions are," Cuban wrote last summer. "I don't care if he says the wrong thing. He says what's on his mind. He gives honest answers rather than prepared answers. This is more important than anything any candidate has done in years."

However, Cuban has changed his mind.

"I mean, he had a really good chance to be different and really have a chance to change things," Cuban said of his past praise of Trump in a Wednesday night appearance on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert. "But he doesn"t do the work. He"s lazy."

As a businessman himself, Cuban said he questions Trump"s business acumen. Trump has carried his campaign on building a "very successful" empire and making "great" and "amazing" deals. But for Cuban, the lack of Trump business partners speaking at the convention is a red flag. "They"re not coming forward to speak. They"re not coming forward to give him money," Cuban said.

"There's that guy who'll walk into the bar and say anything to get laid," Cuban said. "That's Donald Trump right now to a T. But it's all of us who are going to get fucked."

n May, Cuban made it clear that his views on Trump had changed since Trump announced his candidacy, calling him a "goddam airhead."

https://www.youtube.com...

http://www.vox.com...

Cuban also ripped Trump with a series of insults/jokes, in a segment of "The Gloves are off"

"Hey Donald, your businesses fail so often, you must have gone to business school at Trump University."

Speaking of gloves, I got you a pair for you birthday, you"re a child"s medium, right?

"When you"re going through customs and they ask if you have anything to declare, try not to blurt out, 'Bankruptcy,'" Cuban punched.

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 4:50:09 PM
At 7/23/2016 3:15:57 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I thought this was going to be about Florida Cubans.

Me too, but the OP has some good jokes.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 4:53:16 PM
At 7/23/2016 2:59:58 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
One of the biggest illusions that Trump conveys is that because he is rich, he is good at business. Actual good businessman do not like Trump. Originally Cuban was a big fan of Trump saying this:

"I don't care what his actual positions are," Cuban wrote last summer. "I don't care if he says the wrong thing. He says what's on his mind. He gives honest answers rather than prepared answers. This is more important than anything any candidate has done in years."

"I mean, he had a really good chance to be different and really have a chance to change things," Cuban said of his past praise of Trump in a Wednesday night appearance on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert. "But he doesn"t do the work. He"s lazy."

As a businessman himself, Cuban said he questions Trump"s business acumen. Trump has carried his campaign on building a "very successful" empire and making "great" and "amazing" deals. But for Cuban, the lack of Trump business partners speaking at the convention is a red flag. "They"re not coming forward to speak. They"re not coming forward to give him money," Cuban said.

"There's that guy who'll walk into the bar and say anything to get laid," Cuban said. "That's Donald Trump right now to a T. But it's all of us who are going to get fucked."

n May, Cuban made it clear that his views on Trump had changed since Trump announced his candidacy, calling him a "goddam airhead."

Cuban also ripped Trump with a series of insults/jokes, in a segment of "The Gloves are off"

"Hey Donald, your businesses fail so often, you must have gone to business school at Trump University."

Speaking of gloves, I got you a pair for you birthday, you"re a child"s medium, right?

"When you"re going through customs and they ask if you have anything to declare, try not to blurt out, 'Bankruptcy,'" Cuban punched.

The mental gymnastics necessary to think Trump is a "good businessman" come directly from watching him on a TeeVee show. The sort of people that think reality TeeVee is real.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 5:04:20 PM
At 7/23/2016 4:53:16 PM, TBR wrote:

The mental gymnastics necessary to think Trump is a "good businessman" come directly from watching him on a TeeVee show. The sort of people that think reality TeeVee is real.

Also, if his dad Fred was such a good role model, why didn't his dad make billions?
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 5:12:49 PM
At 7/23/2016 5:04:20 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Also, if his dad Fred was such a good role model, why didn't his dad make billions?

The dad made YUGE money, and started from zero. Fred Trump, it is arguable, was way more successful than Trump - and I would make that argument.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 5:21:34 PM
At 7/23/2016 5:12:49 PM, TBR wrote:

The dad made YUGE money, and started from zero. Fred Trump, it is arguable, was way more successful than Trump - and I would make that argument.

$400 million is pee water.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 5:27:45 PM
At 7/23/2016 5:21:34 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

On his death he was worth about that. So, we have a guy who started from zero and made 300-400m (died in 1999). We have another guy who started his carrier leveraging the same assets somewhere in the 80's, followed by inheriting his share of the remaining on the fathers death, and sits somewhere around 3.5b today. Using just about any investment calculator, that is a run of the mill to good return.

No, Trump is by no stretch a super-businessman. He is about average.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 5:31:42 PM
At 7/23/2016 5:27:45 PM, TBR wrote:

On his death he was worth about that. So, we have a guy who started from zero and made 300-400m (died in 1999). We have another guy who started his carrier leveraging the same assets somewhere in the 80's, followed by inheriting his share of the remaining on the fathers death, and sits somewhere around 3.5b today. Using just about any investment calculator, that is a run of the mill to good return.

Face it, Fred didn't have what it took to be a billionaire. Trump's role model was a disaster.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 5:56:14 PM
At 7/23/2016 5:31:42 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Face it, Fred didn't have what it took to be a billionaire. Trump's role model was a disaster.

If you say so. I would think any sane person would pat Fred on the back for his success, but if that's the way you feel - your just wrong.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 6:08:23 PM
At 7/23/2016 5:56:14 PM, TBR wrote:

If you say so. I would think any sane person would pat Fred on the back for his success, but if that's the way you feel - your just wrong.

If you want to idolize a crooked slumlord like Fred who didn't have what it took to be a billionaire, well that's your cup of tea.
MakeSensePeopleDont
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 6:23:56 PM

Really? Mark Cuban doesn't hold a candle to Trump's business ventures.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 9:28:01 PM
At 7/23/2016 6:08:23 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 7/23/2016 5:56:14 PM, TBR wrote:

If you want to idolize a crooked slumlord like Fred who didn't have what it took to be a billionaire, well that's your cup of tea.

I am not celebrating him, or his son. I can't see any reason to think the son who has done so little is seen as anything other than mediocre, that's your bag.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 10:06:42 PM
At 7/23/2016 9:28:01 PM, TBR wrote:

I am not celebrating him, or his son. I can't see any reason to think the son who has done so little is seen as anything other than mediocre, that's your bag.

Fine, that makes you an insane person for not slapping crooked Fred's back.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 10:35:08 PM
At 7/23/2016 10:06:42 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

I;m not picking a president on the merits of his father, nor am I selecting a president on his big-mouth lying about how super-great a businessman he is. Again, that would be you and your fellow Trump idiots.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 10:45:52 PM
At 7/23/2016 10:35:08 PM, TBR wrote:

I;m not picking a president on the merits of his father, nor am I selecting a president on his big-mouth lying about how super-great a businessman he is. Again, that would be you and your fellow Trump idiots.

I would think any sane person would pat Fred on the back for his success...

lul
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 10:50:21 PM
At 7/23/2016 10:45:52 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

lul

But not pick his son for president based on his (real) success.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 11:13:21 PM
At 7/23/2016 10:45:52 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

lul

I can't believe you would say that.

You must be drinking today.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2016 1:01:01 PM
At 7/23/2016 3:15:57 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I thought this was going to be about Florida Cubans.

Both the Florida Cubans and Mark Cuban will not be voting for Trump.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2016 1:03:01 PM

Trump is what an idiot thinks a good business is like.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2016 1:06:53 PM
At 7/23/2016 6:23:56 PM, MakeSensePeopleDont wrote:

How so? Mark Cuban started with nothing to build his business. Cuban is probably worth more than Trump right now, and definitely is worth more than Trump was, when Trump was Cuban's age.

Trump inherited a business, and is more of a Celebrity Brand/ Reality TV Star, than a businessman. Many of Trump's businesses failed miserably. Trump even said himself than he is good at screwing over his investors when he goes bankrupt. Trump has many lawsuits and ethical violations.

Why do you think that Cuban CANNOT HOLD A CANDLE to Trump?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2016 4:22:35 PM
I love how everyone says "so-and-so started with nothing"

Hellooo...most Small Business can usually get up to 300k on startup loans.....

It's not like the guy magically turned dirt into gold without a loan.

Trump relied heavily on loans, you don't think he just worked with his seed money?

People be dumb yo.
MakeSensePeopleDont
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2016 4:25:20 PM
At 7/24/2016 1:06:53 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
At 7/23/2016 6:23:56 PM, MakeSensePeopleDont wrote:

How so? Mark Cuban started with nothing to build his business. Cuban is probably worth more than Trump right now, and definitely is worth more than Trump was, when Trump was Cuban's age.

Trump inherited a business, and is more of a Celebrity Brand/ Reality TV Star, than a businessman. Many of Trump's businesses failed miserably. Trump even said himself than he is good at screwing over his investors when he goes bankrupt. Trump has many lawsuits and ethical violations.

Why do you think that Cuban CANNOT HOLD A CANDLE to Trump?

The most aggressively low-end calculations of Trump's net worth as researched by Forbes is $4.5 billion. Mark Cuban has a Forbes verified net worth of $3 billion.

Mark Cuban is 57 years old; at 57, Donald Trump's net worth was $2.7 billion, even after the loss of his casinos and resorts due to economic downturn and market forces out of his control. Additionally, his net worth at 57 included the subtraction of the approximately $1.5 billion in personal funds and assets Trump spent in attempt to keep a few casinos and resorts operational and fully staffed, so no employees would lose their jobs. Without this risk being taken, Trump's net worth at 57 was about $4.2 billion.

Furthermore, Trump's empire is built around vast numbers of real estate, resorts, golf courses, hotels, name licensing, ownership of private businesses, partnerships, television, and more. Mark Cuban earned his initial few hundred million buying and selling tech startups during the tech bubble. He then purchased the Dallas Mavericks NBA team for $280 million. Today, the Mavs have a net value of $1.4 billion due to the rapid growth of the NBA over the past 15 years. Once the cash began flowing with the NBA, Cuban began writing checks, financing a stack of tech startups as well as purchasing a movie theater company.

This means that half of Cuban's net worth is the Dallas Mavericks. The majority of the remaining 50% are small tech startup companies. Any investment professional, or novice will tell you that diversification is essential; no more than 6% of your investment capitol should be invested in one place. Now we can say owning an organization like the Mavs alters those numbers. However, the remaining 48% or so is invested in tech startups. Trump's net worth is divided through numerous businesses, ventures, different areas of the market, spread globally; diversified extremely well. Trump has built his empire on solid, safe business practices; Cuban has his entire net worth split between two very specialized markets, one of which is high risk. This is where Trump truly leaves Cuban in the dust as far as business knowledge is concerned.

Trump's reality TV success came WAY after he built his empire upon good business practices. In fact, he got his start in television BECAUSE OF his business success.

You say "Many" of Trump's businesses failed miserably. Could you please provide an actual quantity as opposed to the vague word "Many" which is completely subjective and misleading.

I'd like to review Trump's quote on how "he is good at screwing over his investors when he goes bankrupt". Could you provide citation for that full conversation so I can verify the quote as well as review context please?

The lawsuits you speak of are those of construction workers and contractors among a few others. The construction trade is by far the heaviest in lawsuits for missing pay and work of any occupation; this is no shock simply for how this relationship is run.

A property owner invites contractors and surveyors to come out and provide an estimate for price of a project as well as details of construction the cost pays for. Upon completion, the contractor generally returns with an inflated final bill citing excess man hours and materials. Now, the owner performs a review of work completed and enters into final negotiations with the contractor based upon how well the contractor fulfilled the contracts. An agreement is reached. Some contractors cut corners, overcharge for labor and materials, charge for high quality and supply standard, etc. All of these negotiations and reviews are where the lawsuits arise. No complainant in his suits has said Trump approved of final product but never paid. Instead, they are all suits based on Trump's disapproval of the final product; and payment of fair market value based on third party reviews or Trump's negotiations with the contractor. Again, perfectly normal and regularly occurring within all construction projects.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 1:51:35 PM

The most aggressively low-end calculations of Trump's net worth as researched by Forbes is $4.5 billion. Mark Cuban has a Forbes verified net worth of $3 billion.

Mark Cuban is 57 years old; at 57, Donald Trump's net worth was $2.7 billion, even after the loss of his casinos and resorts due to economic downturn and market forces out of his control. Additionally, his net worth at 57 included the subtraction of the approximately $1.5 billion in personal funds and assets Trump spent in attempt to keep a few casinos and resorts operational and fully staffed, so no employees would lose their jobs. Without this risk being taken, Trump's net worth at 57 was about $4.2 billion.

In 2005, Deutsche Bank estimated Trump's evaluated his net worth was worth $788 Million (1). Many people think that Trump overstates his net worth.

(1) http://www.wsj.com...

However, let's say he was worth $2.7 Billion, adding back $1.5 Billion that he spent, to make him worth more than Cuban, makes no sense at all lol. He spent the money on his business, so it cannot be included anymore. You argument boils down to that if he was not a bad businessman, who bankrupted his business, he would be worth more. BUT HE DID BANKRUPT HIS BUSINESS.

Furthermore, Trump's empire is built around vast numbers of real estate, resorts, golf courses, hotels, name licensing, ownership of private businesses, partnerships, television, and more. Mark Cuban earned his initial few hundred million buying and selling tech startups during the tech bubble. He then purchased the Dallas Mavericks NBA team for $280 million. Today, the Mavs have a net value of $1.4 billion due to the rapid growth of the NBA over the past 15 years. Once the cash began flowing with the NBA, Cuban began writing checks, financing a stack of tech startups as well as purchasing a movie theater company.

This means that half of Cuban's net worth is the Dallas Mavericks. The majority of the remaining 50% are small tech startup companies. Any investment professional, or novice will tell you that diversification is essential; no more than 6% of your investment capitol should be invested in one place. Now we can say owning an organization like the Mavs alters those numbers. However, the remaining 48% or so is invested in tech startups. Trump's net worth is divided through numerous businesses, ventures, different areas of the market, spread globally; diversified extremely well. Trump has built his empire on solid, safe business practices; Cuban has his entire net worth split between two very specialized markets, one of which is high risk. This is where Trump truly leaves Cuban in the dust as far as business knowledge is concerned.

(sigh), anyone who ACTUALLY is good at investing, will tell you that diversification is an overrated strategy. Diversification is good so ignoramuses and dumbfuckks, cannot lose money. The whole point of diversification, that it requires no skill.

Here is what Warren Buffett (arguably the best investment professional of all time, in case you do not know who he is) says about diversification:

"Diversification is protection against ignorance. It makes little sense if you know what you are doing." - Warren Buffett.

"Wide diversification is only required when investors do not understand what they are doing." - Warren Buffett

Trump's reality TV success came WAY after he built his empire upon good business practices. In fact, he got his start in television BECAUSE OF his business success.

People think Trump is a "good businessman" because they see him on TV. Any loudmouth can inherit a real estate company and get media attention, and go on TV.

You say "Many" of Trump's businesses failed miserably. Could you please provide an actual quantity as opposed to the vague word "Many" which is completely subjective and misleading.

Sorry, I do not have the time to list them all, but here are some:

1) Trump Steaks
2) Trump Vodka
3) Trump Mortgages.

BTW, Trump said this in 2006 "I think it"s a great time to start a mortgage company [...] the real estate market is going to be very strong for a long time to come."
- Donald Trump 2006

I"ve been hearing about this bubble for so many years from you and everybody else in your world, but I haven"t seen it. I will let you know when I see it." - Donald Trump 2006

LOL, 2006 was one of the worst times in the history of the world to start a mortgage company, and REAL ESTATE IS THE ONE FUUCKING THING HE IS ACTULLY SUPPOSED TO KNOW ABOUT.

4) Trump Magazine

5) Trump University (it is not a real university btw)

6) Trump Bottled Water

7 The New Jersey General Football Team (Trump bought it because he could not afford an NFL Team like Cuban could)

8) Tour de Trump (bike racing events)

9) Trump Network (a pyramid scheme)

10) Trumped (Talk Radio)

Not to mention the many of his many other real estate and casino failures and bankruptcies.

http://gawker.com...

I'd like to review Trump's quote on how "he is good at screwing over his investors when he goes bankrupt". Could you provide citation for that full conversation so I can verify the quote as well as review context please?

There are way way too many examples for me to provide them all. I do not have the time or the character limit. But, here are two examples from a quick google search.

Trump has converted his business failures into clever triumphs over the banks and investors who entrusted their money to him. He used bankruptcy laws to escape responsibility for his debts. That option is sometimes is necessary for individuals -- that is why the laws exist. But has anyone pointed out that these actions have harmed the little guy to benefit the billionaire? Who were his investors? Pension funds of workers, retirement plans, 401K owners, and shareholders who owned stock in the banks he left holding the bag for his mistakes. Did any bank executives ever lose their jobs -- ever get the message "You"re Fired" for trusting Trump?

http://www.chicagotribune.com...

was promoted as the chance of a lifetime: Mom-and-pop investors could buy shares in celebrity businessman Donald Trump's first public company, Trump Hotels and Casino Resorts.

Their investments were quickly depleted. The company known by Trump's initials, DJT, crumbled into a penny stock and filed for bankruptcy after less than a decade, costing shareholders millions of dollars, even as other casino companies soared.

In its short life, Trump the company greatly enriched Trump the businessman, paying to have his personal jet piloted and buying heaps of Trump-brand merchandise. Despite losing money every year under Trump's leadership, the company paid Trump handsomely, including a $5 million bonus in the year the company's stock plummeted 70 percent.

.I am out of characters now. But are still you so sure that Mark Cuban, CANNOT HOLD A CANDLE to Trump? I mean Cuban is no genius, but Trump is nothing special at all.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 1:53:50 PM

The lawsuits you speak of are those of construction workers and contractors among a few others. The construction trade is by far the heaviest in lawsuits for missing pay and work of any occupation; this is no shock simply for how this relationship is run.

A property owner invites contractors and surveyors to come out and provide an estimate for price of a project as well as details of construction the cost pays for. Upon completion, the contractor generally returns with an inflated final bill citing excess man hours and materials. Now, the owner performs a review of work completed and enters into final negotiations with the contractor based upon how well the contractor fulfilled the contracts. An agreement is reached. Some contractors cut corners, overcharge for labor and materials, charge for high quality and supply standard, etc. All of these negotiations and reviews are where the lawsuits arise. No complainant in his suits has said Trump approved of final product but never paid. Instead, they are all suits based on Trump's disapproval of the final product; and payment of fair market value based on third party reviews or Trump's negotiations with the contractor. Again, perfectly normal and regularly occurring within all construction projects.

Yeah, their are contractors who overcharge. But there are also many business who stiff contractors because they can. They have better lawyers and know they will get away with it. Based on the amount of suits Trump has been in, I am not confident that Trump has the victim in these cases.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 2:03:26 PM
At 7/24/2016 4:22:35 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

This is false. Most small businesses DO NOT get $300K in start up loans.

Trump relied heavily on loans, you don't think he just worked with his seed money?

People be dumb yo.

$1 Million when Trump graduated college would be worth $5 Million today. Plus, all the connections Trump's father gave him, and his families wealth would allow him to get loans easier. Trump pretty much inherited his fathers business. An idiot, could become rich in that situation.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 4:54:24 PM
At 7/29/2016 2:03:26 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

People be dumb yo.

$1 Million when Trump graduated college would be worth $5 Million today. Plus, all the connections Trump's father gave him, and his families wealth would allow him to get loans easier. Trump pretty much inherited his fathers business. An idiot, could become rich in that situation.

So you are either rich, or an idiot. Nice dichotomy.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 5:01:47 PM
At 7/29/2016 4:54:24 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

So you agree the statement you made was bogus?

People be dumb yo.

So you are either rich, or an idiot. Nice dichotomy.

Idk what you mean by this?

I argued that being rich does not make you smart.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 5:34:00 PM
At 7/29/2016 5:01:47 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
At 7/29/2016 4:54:24 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

So you agree the statement you made was bogus?

What, that you dropped the word can?