Total Posts:22|Showing Posts:1-22
Jump to topic:

Cops Continue to Be Refused Service

RookieApologist
Posts: 469
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 5:01:59 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
Last Week, the Daily Wire reported three different incidents where officers were discriminated against and victimized because of their uniform: A Mexican restaurant employee allegedly spit in Baton Rouge officers" drinks; a gas station clerk in Florida reportedly refused service to a uniformed cop; and a restaurant worker from Ohio allegedly placed shards of glass in an officers" sandwich.

http://www.dailywire.com...

I get that "police officer" is not a protected class in Civil Rights Laws.

But what kind of society do we live in where it is considered okay by the left to put a couple out of business for standing up for their religious beliefs by not baking a wedding cake for a gay wedding, and then somehow okay by the left (assumed due to their complete silence on the matter) for a restaurant to deny service to police officers?
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,237
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 5:36:36 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/28/2016 5:19:23 PM, KendoRe2 wrote:
Cause the cops are the ones who arrest you

Then stop breaking the law?
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
ford_prefect
Posts: 4,139
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 6:00:58 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
Bakers should be allowed to refuse to bake cakes for ceremonies that they disagree with on religious/moral grounds.

Restaurants should be allowed to refuse service to members of occupations that they dislike.

Gay people should probably go to a baker who doesn't believe it's wrong for them to get married.

Police should probably go to a restaurant that doesn't refuse to serve them.

Neither of these cases are civil rights violations, for the following reasons:

1) the discrimination is not widespread enough. If every single baker in a state refuses service to gay couples, or if every single restaurant refuses service to cops, that's a different matter. But right now it's less than 1% of businesses doing this. Same reasoning applies to why women-only gyms are fine. If 99% of gyms were women only, that would be a problem. But it's easy for guys to find a gym, and it's easy for cops to find a restaurant or gays to find a bakery.

2) You don't choose to be black, so it's not ok to refuse service to black people in your southern diner. You do choose to get gay married (to an extent: you don't choose to be gay, but you do choose to get married. I don't think those bakers would mind selling a regular cake to a gay), and you certainly choose to be a police officer. If a gay wants service at that particular bakery, go in and ask for a muffin. Don't ask them to put two groomsmen figures on a wedding cake. If a cop wants service at that particular restaurant, take off your uniform or quit your job.
Burzmali
Posts: 1,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 6:02:11 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/28/2016 5:01:59 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
...okay by the left (assumed due to their complete silence on the matter)...

Man, if this is how you judge whether people are okay with something, then you must think every single person is a monster due to the myriad incidences of repugnant behavior that they fail to condemn. I mean, some delinquents set some puppies on fire a few days ago and I've seen nothing from you about it. You must be okay with puppy burning.

Or, you know, maybe "the left," whoever that is, hasn't heard about these three minor incidents that you happened to stumble upon today.
RookieApologist
Posts: 469
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 6:05:39 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/28/2016 6:02:11 PM, Burzmali wrote:
At 7/28/2016 5:01:59 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
...okay by the left (assumed due to their complete silence on the matter)...

Man, if this is how you judge whether people are okay with something, then you must think every single person is a monster due to the myriad incidences of repugnant behavior that they fail to condemn. I mean, some delinquents set some puppies on fire a few days ago and I've seen nothing from you about it. You must be okay with puppy burning.

Or, you know, maybe "the left," whoever that is, hasn't heard about these three minor incidents that you happened to stumble upon today.

Fair enough. So do you feel the left (by the left I mean the majority of Democratic politicians, along with their media supporters) would condemn these actions taken by restaurant owners against police officers the same way they would condemn others for not wanting to bake a cake for a gay wedding?

And the instances are not that hard to find (i.e. didn't need to stumble across them) if one looks somewhere besides the mainstream media.
RookieApologist
Posts: 469
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 6:08:10 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/28/2016 6:00:58 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
Bakers should be allowed to refuse to bake cakes for ceremonies that they disagree with on religious/moral grounds.

Restaurants should be allowed to refuse service to members of occupations that they dislike.

Gay people should probably go to a baker who doesn't believe it's wrong for them to get married.

Police should probably go to a restaurant that doesn't refuse to serve them.

Neither of these cases are civil rights violations, for the following reasons:

1) the discrimination is not widespread enough. If every single baker in a state refuses service to gay couples, or if every single restaurant refuses service to cops, that's a different matter. But right now it's less than 1% of businesses doing this. Same reasoning applies to why women-only gyms are fine. If 99% of gyms were women only, that would be a problem. But it's easy for guys to find a gym, and it's easy for cops to find a restaurant or gays to find a bakery.

2) You don't choose to be black, so it's not ok to refuse service to black people in your southern diner. You do choose to get gay married (to an extent: you don't choose to be gay, but you do choose to get married. I don't think those bakers would mind selling a regular cake to a gay), and you certainly choose to be a police officer. If a gay wants service at that particular bakery, go in and ask for a muffin. Don't ask them to put two groomsmen figures on a wedding cake. If a cop wants service at that particular restaurant, take off your uniform or quit your job.

It seems that you are for private businesses basically being allowed to refuse or accept service to those they wish. And I am fine with that, as long as the government doesn't decide to get involved when someone is offended.
Burzmali
Posts: 1,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 6:22:05 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/28/2016 6:05:39 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
At 7/28/2016 6:02:11 PM, Burzmali wrote:
At 7/28/2016 5:01:59 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
...okay by the left (assumed due to their complete silence on the matter)...

Man, if this is how you judge whether people are okay with something, then you must think every single person is a monster due to the myriad incidences of repugnant behavior that they fail to condemn. I mean, some delinquents set some puppies on fire a few days ago and I've seen nothing from you about it. You must be okay with puppy burning.

Or, you know, maybe "the left," whoever that is, hasn't heard about these three minor incidents that you happened to stumble upon today.

Fair enough. So do you feel the left (by the left I mean the majority of Democratic politicians, along with their media supporters) would condemn these actions taken by restaurant owners against police officers the same way they would condemn others for not wanting to bake a cake for a gay wedding?

Yes, I think they'd condemn them, without question.

And the instances are not that hard to find (i.e. didn't need to stumble across them) if one looks somewhere besides the mainstream media.

Sure, but how likely is any given person on "the left" to run into these stories in such volume that they would warrant a public outcry? To reuse my previous example, animal cruelty by individuals is a pretty common occurrence that is probably reported as much as discrimination against the police. But I don't expect anyone on any side of the political spectrum to speak out against specific instances of it unless they're representative of some systemic issue. While the things you mentioned are problematic, they aren't the result of some singular conspiracy against police. It may be indicative of a general distrust/dislike of the police in some areas, but I think "the left" has sort of addressed that in the past when the shootings happened.
xus00HAY
Posts: 1,393
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 7:38:15 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
I suppose if the restaurant manager wanted to refuse to service a cop, provided it would appear in news that the restaurant did this, this would be OK. as would a bakery who did a specifically gay wedding cake for a gay wedding.
I would not recommend any of this rude behavior.
xus00HAY
Posts: 1,393
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 7:40:22 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
If the Blacks make it necessary for the cops to teach them what their place is they will be sorry.
1Percenter
Posts: 781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 7:55:16 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/28/2016 5:01:59 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
Last Week, the Daily Wire reported three different incidents where officers were discriminated against and victimized because of their uniform: A Mexican restaurant employee allegedly spit in Baton Rouge officers" drinks; a gas station clerk in Florida reportedly refused service to a uniformed cop; and a restaurant worker from Ohio allegedly placed shards of glass in an officers" sandwich.

Well, if one were to ever rob a store, they'd be wise to target one these places. You can be damned sure the cops will be taking their sweet time on their way over when they get that 911 call from them.
Irascible_Me
Posts: 22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 8:03:36 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/28/2016 5:01:59 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
Last Week, the Daily Wire reported three different incidents where officers were discriminated against and victimized because of their uniform: A Mexican restaurant employee allegedly spit in Baton Rouge officers" drinks; a gas station clerk in Florida reportedly refused service to a uniformed cop; and a restaurant worker from Ohio allegedly placed shards of glass in an officers" sandwich.

http://www.dailywire.com...

I get that "police officer" is not a protected class in Civil Rights Laws.

But what kind of society do we live in where it is considered okay by the left to put a couple out of business for standing up for their religious beliefs by not baking a wedding cake for a gay wedding, and then somehow okay by the left (assumed due to their complete silence on the matter) for a restaurant to deny service to police officers?

It has become a very sick society, to be sure.
Irascible_Me
Posts: 22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 8:04:37 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/28/2016 6:00:58 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
Bakers should be allowed to refuse to bake cakes for ceremonies that they disagree with on religious/moral grounds.

Restaurants should be allowed to refuse service to members of occupations that they dislike.

Gay people should probably go to a baker who doesn't believe it's wrong for them to get married.

Police should probably go to a restaurant that doesn't refuse to serve them.

Neither of these cases are civil rights violations, for the following reasons:

1) the discrimination is not widespread enough. If every single baker in a state refuses service to gay couples, or if every single restaurant refuses service to cops, that's a different matter. But right now it's less than 1% of businesses doing this. Same reasoning applies to why women-only gyms are fine. If 99% of gyms were women only, that would be a problem. But it's easy for guys to find a gym, and it's easy for cops to find a restaurant or gays to find a bakery.

2) You don't choose to be black, so it's not ok to refuse service to black people in your southern diner. You do choose to get gay married (to an extent: you don't choose to be gay, but you do choose to get married. I don't think those bakers would mind selling a regular cake to a gay), and you certainly choose to be a police officer. If a gay wants service at that particular bakery, go in and ask for a muffin. Don't ask them to put two groomsmen figures on a wedding cake. If a cop wants service at that particular restaurant, take off your uniform or quit your job.

Perfect!
Foodiesoul
Posts: 579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 8:08:20 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
Well, don't they deserve it?

After all, a lot of cops are stupid misandrists who favor women and always arrest men, even when they're innocent!

It makes me sick! It disgusts me that the people who are supposed to "protect" all of us discriminate against men!
RookieApologist
Posts: 469
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 8:22:40 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/28/2016 8:08:20 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
Well, don't they deserve it?

After all, a lot of cops are stupid misandrists who favor women and always arrest men, even when they're innocent!

It makes me sick! It disgusts me that the people who are supposed to "protect" all of us discriminate against men!

Obviously tongue in cheek, but it is a good point tbh, especially when the left-wing media portrays blacks as being over-represented in jails. If that is the case, then how come 51% of jails aren't made up on women prisoners?
Foodiesoul
Posts: 579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 8:24:05 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/28/2016 8:22:40 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
At 7/28/2016 8:08:20 PM, Foodiesoul wrote:
Well, don't they deserve it?

After all, a lot of cops are stupid misandrists who favor women and always arrest men, even when they're innocent!

It makes me sick! It disgusts me that the people who are supposed to "protect" all of us discriminate against men!

Obviously tongue in cheek, but it is a good point tbh, especially when the left-wing media portrays blacks as being over-represented in jails. If that is the case, then how come 51% of jails aren't made up on women prisoners?

It's pretty disappointing to be honest and also pretty depressing.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,313
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 8:29:52 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/28/2016 6:00:58 PM, ford_prefect wrote:

2) You don't choose to be black, so it's not ok to refuse service to black people in your -southern diner. You do choose to get gay-married (to an extent: you don't choose to be gay, but you do choose to get married.

What the heck is this supposed to mean?

a black - eater has the same choices as a gay - marriage..
ford_prefect
Posts: 4,139
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 9:16:48 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/28/2016 8:29:52 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 7/28/2016 6:00:58 PM, ford_prefect wrote:

2) You don't choose to be black, so it's not ok to refuse service to black people in your -southern diner. You do choose to get gay-married (to an extent: you don't choose to be gay, but you do choose to get married.

What the heck is this supposed to mean?

a black - eater has the same choices as a gay - marriage..

Not in the context of the segregated South. There were cities and states where the vast majority of white owned restaurants refused service to blacks. So a black person could not choose to eat at another diner, because they would be refused service there as well.

Furthermore, gays today can buy a cake at any bakery they like. To my knowledge, those bakers weren't refusing to serve all gays, they were refusing to make a cake specifically for a gay marriage. If a gay orders a regular cake, or anything else, they should be fine.

In any event, it's irrelevant because those gays could easily go to the next baker and buy a wedding cake there. There is not a widespread epidemic of bakers refusing service to gays.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,313
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 9:31:05 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/28/2016 9:16:48 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
At 7/28/2016 8:29:52 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 7/28/2016 6:00:58 PM, ford_prefect wrote:

2) You don't choose to be black, so it's not ok to refuse service to black people in your -southern diner. You do choose to get gay-married (to an extent: you don't choose to be gay, but you do choose to get married.

What the heck is this supposed to mean?

a black - eater has the same choices as a gay - marriage..

Not in the context of the segregated South. There were cities and states where the vast majority of white owned restaurants refused service to blacks. So a black person could not choose to eat at another diner, because they would be refused service there as well.

And that's really the issue. It's okay if a minority of businesses discriminate but not if a majority discriminates.

(most business owners typically discriminate with the color green, and it's actually the patrons doing the real discriminating, but that's a different discussion.)
someloser
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 9:32:14 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/28/2016 6:00:58 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
Bakers should be allowed to refuse to bake cakes for ceremonies that they disagree with on religious/moral grounds.

Restaurants should be allowed to refuse service to members of occupations that they dislike.

Gay people should probably go to a baker who doesn't believe it's wrong for them to get married.

Police should probably go to a restaurant that doesn't refuse to serve them.

Neither of these cases are civil rights violations, for the following reasons:

1) the discrimination is not widespread enough. If every single baker in a state refuses service to gay couples, or if every single restaurant refuses service to cops, that's a different matter. But right now it's less than 1% of businesses doing this. Same reasoning applies to why women-only gyms are fine. If 99% of gyms were women only, that would be a problem. But it's easy for guys to find a gym, and it's easy for cops to find a restaurant or gays to find a bakery.

2) You don't choose to be black, so it's not ok to refuse service to black people in your southern diner. You do choose to get gay married (to an extent: you don't choose to be gay, but you do choose to get married. I don't think those bakers would mind selling a regular cake to a gay), and you certainly choose to be a police officer. If a gay wants service at that particular bakery, go in and ask for a muffin. Don't ask them to put two groomsmen figures on a wedding cake. If a cop wants service at that particular restaurant, take off your uniform or quit your job.
^^
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
thett3
Posts: 14,371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 1:01:09 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/28/2016 5:01:59 PM, RookieApologist wrote:


But what kind of society do we live in where it is considered okay by the left to put a couple out of business for standing up for their religious beliefs by not baking a wedding cake for a gay wedding, and then somehow okay by the left (assumed due to their complete silence on the matter) for a restaurant to deny service to police officers?

It's called "clown world".

For what it's worth, I fully support the right of any establishment to refuse service to anyone for any reason. But that doesn't mean it isn't beyond asinine to refuse service to a police officer.

I can't even put it into words, really. All I can say is that the police would never refuse service to anyone when duty called
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right