Jump to topic:

NC voter ID law struck down

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 7:09:06 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
The court deemed the law unconstitutional because it disproportionately effected minorities.

LOL at the fact that having people show an ID before voting is considered racist. We really haven't bee a serious country for a long time, have we?

What are your thoughts on this everyone? Is asking for a photo ID racist?

http://www.bbc.com...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 7:29:15 PM
At 7/29/2016 7:09:06 PM, thett3 wrote:
The court deemed the law unconstitutional because it disproportionately effected minorities.

LOL at the fact that having people show an ID before voting is considered racist. We really haven't bee a serious country for a long time, have we?

Of 197 million votes cast in the last election cycle only 26 were proved as fraudulent; which makes voters fraud . 00000013 percent of the votes cast. Not a real problem in the scope of things. Voter ID laws are put in place by Republicans to inhibit the low-income & minority voter who typically vote Democrat Fear mongering that an individual's vote does not count due to fraud in unfounded.

http://www.theatlantic.com...
http://abcnews.go.com...
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 7:54:00 PM

It is apparently if you are from NC. Although it should be noted the other aspects of the law such as further limiting the early vote window did disproportionately impact Blacks. I assume the state was not able to give a satisfactory answer as to why they wanted to limit early voting.

Quote from ruling.

"Faced with this record, we can only conclude that the North Carolina General Assembly enacted the challenged provisions of the law with discriminatory intent."
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 8:53:37 PM

This post is an embarrassment.

The rate of voter fraud in this country is negligible and the law (which does much more to restrict voting than simply requiring photo ID) has the effect of excluding thousands of qualified voters who also happen to be black ... even if we're to believe that the NC legislature genuinely had no intention of diminishing the number of likely-democratic ballots in their state, it would make sense that they should revise the law to ensure that this doesn't occur.

There was a similar law passed in Texas that was struck down by the 5th circuit court of Appeals and for similar reasons -- the fifth circuit bench is occupied mostly by Bush and Reagan appointees, who would almost certainly have arrived at a different conclusion were the allegations of discrimination without merit.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 10:19:55 PM
At 7/29/2016 9:45:01 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
Why not just give people IDs for free if it's really such a problem.

because voter fraud obviously isn't what concerns them.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 2:24:06 AM
At 7/29/2016 7:29:15 PM, Peepette wrote:

Of 197 million votes cast in the last election cycle only 26 were proved as fraudulent; which makes voters fraud . 00000013 percent of the votes cast.

No, it means that 26 cases were prosecuted. How hard do you think the government tried to find cases of fraud?

But this is absurd. In 2008, a senate race was literally won due to voter fraud and 177 were convicted: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com...

I don't really see the problem with ID laws. There should be 0 cases of fraud and having to show an ID is such a basic and common sense requirement.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 2:32:05 AM
At 7/29/2016 8:53:37 PM, 000ike wrote:

This post is an embarrassment.

you're an embarrassment

The rate of voter fraud in this country is negligible

In 2008 a senate race was literally won due to voter fraud: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com...

How hard do you think the government works to investigate cases of voter fraud? Lol. Get real

and the law (which does much more to restrict voting than simply requiring photo ID) has the effect of excluding thousands of qualified voters who also happen to be black ... even if we're to believe that the NC legislature genuinely had no intention of diminishing the number of likely-democratic ballots in their state, it would make sense that they should revise the law to ensure that this doesn't occur.

How is it racist to require people to show a photo ID?

If your voters are so helpless that they can't even get a photo ID that's on your party, not the legislature. How can they possibly ensure that it affects both parties equally? I can't believe that such a basic requirement is controversial in this "country".

Do you seriously think people should be allowed to vote without showing a photo ID? What about buying alcohol? Driving? Opening a bank account? Buying a gun?

Here's the thing...even if voter fraud was as super duper rare as you pretend (and it's not), there shouldn't be ANY. Requiring an ID to vote is such a basic and obvious requirement that infringes on no ones rights that it's worth passing the law just to get rid of even the few isolated cases.

There was a similar law passed in Texas that was struck down by the 5th circuit court of Appeals and for similar reasons -- the fifth circuit bench is occupied mostly by Bush and Reagan appointees, who would almost certainly have arrived at a different conclusion were the allegations of discrimination without merit.

When I voted in February I was required to show an ID. So either that ruling was stayed/overturned or they made a new law that passed muster...because, yeah, requiring an ID to vote is not racist lol
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 2:39:27 AM

lol, no. If you need an ID to drive or buy a gun, then you need an ID to vote. I don't see what's wrong with providing a Driver's Liscence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 2:40:40 AM
At 7/30/2016 2:39:27 AM, lannan13 wrote:

lol, no. If you need an ID to drive or buy a gun, then you need an ID to vote. I don't see what's wrong with providing a Driver's Liscence.

Thank you.

To be fair, I can see merit in the argument that they shouldn't restrict early voting. But I've seen too many liberals complain about voter ID laws for me to let this slide...so let's have at it. Will someone even try to prove that it's racist to make people show an ID?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 2:42:09 AM
At 7/30/2016 2:40:40 AM, thett3 wrote:

Thank you.

To be fair, I can see merit in the argument that they shouldn't restrict early voting. But I've seen too many liberals complain about voter ID laws for me to let this slide...so let's have at it. Will someone even try to prove that it's racist to make people show an ID?

I don't even think that's even remotely close. I think it is just the fact that the minorities are less likely to have these items, but it is quite easy to get a driver's liscence. Just go down to your local DMV, take the test, and you're good to go.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 2:47:52 AM
How exactly does one function in society without a photo ID?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 2:48:28 AM

Yes, this issue is stupid. If you need an ID to borrow a library book, you need an ID to vote. This is a nation we are talking about here.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 2:54:14 AM
I think the government should give an ID to all citizens upon turning 18 to eliminate questions of whether everyone has good enough access or reason to photo IDs. It would make things quite easier.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 3:07:08 AM

That's like saying that murder should be legal because it disproportionately effects blacks as they commit the most murders per capita.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 3:36:38 AM
At 7/30/2016 2:40:40 AM, thett3 wrote:

Thank you.

It's not racist, it's an attempt to rig elections. Specifically, by targeting minority voters disproportionality.

The reason this is the case, is that the people who passed these laws did not pass these laws in order to fix any problem inherent in the system; because in-person voting fraud is next to nonexistent. There is literally no problem of any magnitude to fix.

They passed these laws, because the people who would no longer be able to vote as a result of this change are significantly more likely to vote for their political opponents.

If the people passing these laws were truly interested in reducing fraud, rather than using it as a ridiculous excuse in order to claim they aren't intentionally trying to bias elections, they would be focusing on absentee ballot fraud; which is a big deal, and none of the laws passed I am aware of actually makes any difference.

This is the same ridiculous nonsense of enforcing ridiculously over-the-top requirements for abortion clinics under the guise of "improving healthcare"; or attempting to change education text-book standards for evolution or civil rights under the guise of "improving education".

No one is buying the justification because the justifcation makes literally no sense; and is doublethink at it's worst.

Incidentally, it is very worth looking at this, both humors, and spells out the specific details of the issue:

https://www.youtube.com...
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 5:19:44 AM
At 7/30/2016 2:32:05 AM, thett3 wrote:

This is just willful ignorance.

Here in blue-state New Jersey, a photo ID is required in order to register and is often also required to vote at the polls. Photo identification is obviously not controversial -- and also obviously not what democrats (or the appeals court judges) take issue with. The problem with what we've broadly (if inaccurately) referred to as "voter ID laws" is that they either restrict the type of photo ID that's acceptable to a form that lawmakers know is not common among many poor black voters and urban-dwellers who are likely to vote for democrats (e.g. driver's licence). The problem is that they also include provisions limiting out-of-precinct voting and early voting (as was the case in the NC law) -- which, ostensibly, do less to curb voter fraud than they do to disenfranchise eligible voters.

Let's not forget that the appeals court stated that the NC legislature had the intent to discriminate ... and likely a significant reason for that conclusion is the timing of the law, which was passed very shortly after the supreme court struck down the provision of the Voting Rights Act mandating that states with a racist history, like NC, receive federal approval before changing election laws. If their intentions were pure, they would have probably just sent statutes intended to limit voter fraud for approval well before then.

(this is less important, but the argument is that the laws are discriminatory with clearly partisan intent -- not 'racist' -- it's obviously easier to form caricatures with the latter description... and that's literally the only reason why you've made a point of using it)

Your reference to the felons voting (most of whom probably weren't even aware that they were breaking the law) is so pathetic as evidence of rampant voter fraud that it hardly merits a response. Maybe it's a useful example for the potential significance of voter fraud in close elections, but it does literally nothing to define the scale of the problem -- for that you've, instead, elected to speculate with precisely zero scientific estimates on hand. In any case, it's true that there should be zero fraudulent ballots and measures should be taken to achieve this ... if those measures, however, end up not just inconveniencing eligible voters but actually reducing the amount of them who can vote ... then those measures should be revised. Not abandoned. Not eliminated wholesale. Revised. That's the position of the 4th district appellate court, the 5th district appellate court (the most conservative in the country), and literally any person who isn't ignorant and/or deliberately obtuse.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 5:36:29 AM
*the above should read "fourth circuit court of appeals" and "fifth circuit court" not "district court".
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 6:12:48 AM
This is the pattern with many threads on this website supporting rightwing positions. The OP purports to gauge the members' positions on a controversial issue by furnishing a question at its heart. But because he already has a strong (if misguided) position, he frames the question in a manner that induces support for his position.

Unsuspecting respondents will blithely answer that question with commonsense responses ... taking for granted that the question correctly identified the point of contention between the opposing sides. OP feels a smug, undeserved sense of vindication.

Whether or not requiring a photo ID to vote is racist is objectively not what this controversy is about.
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 7:16:08 AM
This thread is bad and you should feel bad.

I don't usually recommend WP, but they did a pretty good explanatory write-up of this, so https://www.washingtonpost.com...

To sum the article up for those too lazy to read it:
1. Lawmakers specifically asked for racial data on voting. With that in mind, these next two facts are not merely coincidence, but the result of conscious choices.
2. The specific types of IDs that it required were those African-Americans don't tend to use as often.
3. It eliminated periods of early voting that black voters used the most (specifically, the period was shorted from 17 to 10 days, as most blacks voted between 17 and 11 days prior).
4. It eliminated Sunday voting, which was a hugely popular voting time for... wait for it, African American communities.

Reading this as an effort to disenfranchise black voters is the only correct way to read it.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 7:30:58 AM
Look, most people can agree that it's not unreasonable to make people have an ID to vote in itself. But, I will never for the life of me understand how people can call all this an issue of election integrity and then turn around and support making it as difficult to vote as possible.

If you want to implement IDs, there is only one reasonable way to do it--giving every resident automatic registration to vote upon their 18th birthday or their taking up residency in the state, and a state ID card in the mail. They should also leave early voting windows up for a month, the US should make Election Day a national holiday, and voting should generally be as painless as possible for everyone while still being fair and honest. Republicans should quit the rhetoric and take the easy, correct action. But obviously, certain states' Republicans won't, if the transparent motives of this case are any indication.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 7:52:51 AM
I don't see why the government can't provide an ID for all citizens. I might be wrong, but as far as I know, in India, ID's that are accepted as voter ID's are accessible for almost everyone, if not everyone. India's population is *much* greater than that of the United States. I'm fine with voter ID laws insofar as those ID's are accessible.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 8:05:45 AM
"India allows for the use of 15 different types of identification that range from property documents, to arms licenses, to income tax ID cards, as well as forms of identification most likely to be possessed by the poor, such as ration cards. Around 80% of rural households and 70% of urban households, who would otherwise be disenfranchised, hold such cards."

http://www.humanrightsadvocates.org...

And the fact that 20% of rural households and 30% of urban households don't hold such cards has very little to do with *accessibility* of those documents. Reform is probably needed in India to ensure that the remaining 25% households get voter identification... but the fact is around 650-700 million people in India have identification required to vote. The population of the entire US is approximately 324 million. So IMO the US should issue identification so that most/all of its population above 18 can vote.

tl;dr: The US should issue a voter ID to all individuals aged 18 or above.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 8:39:12 AM
At 7/30/2016 2:24:06 AM, thett3 wrote:

Of 197 million votes cast in the last election cycle only 26 were proved as fraudulent; which makes voters fraud . 00000013 percent of the votes cast.

No, it means that 26 cases were prosecuted. How hard do you think the government tried to find cases of fraud?

But this is absurd. In 2008, a senate race was literally won due to voter fraud and 177 were convicted: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com...

I don't really see the problem with ID laws. There should be 0 cases of fraud and having to show an ID is such a basic and common sense requirement.

How long before a Gestapo demand to see your "papers"?
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 1:30:33 PM
At 7/30/2016 5:19:44 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 7/30/2016 2:32:05 AM, thett3 wrote:

Here in blue-state New Jersey, a photo ID is required in order to register and is often also required to vote at the polls. Photo identification is obviously not controversial -- and also obviously not what democrats (or the appeals court judges) take issue with.

This is blatantly false. Leftists complain continuously over how unfair it is to expect someone to provethat

The problem with what we've broadly (if inaccurately) referred to as "voter ID laws" is that they either restrict the type of photo ID that's acceptable to a form that lawmakers know is not common among many poor black voters and urban-dwellers who are likely to vote for democrats (e.g. driver's licence).

What kind of photo ID's do they have?

Double speak. "Okay so making people show a photo ID isn't inherently racist, but it IS racist to restrict it if minorities are less likely to have the kinds of ID's you choose."

But for what it's worth, an acceptable form of ID was a "special identification card" (http://voterid.nc.gov...) basically a government ID that anyone could pick up at any time (https://www.ncdot.gov...). So again, if your voters can't even bring themselves to go get a photo ID it's on them and it's on you.

How does someone function in society if they don't have a photo ID? You certainly can't get a job without one. I feel like they *don't* function and probably shouldn't be voting

The problem is that they also include provisions limiting out-of-precinct voting and early voting (as was the case in the NC law) -- which, ostensibly, do less to curb voter fraud than they do to disenfranchise eligible voters.

Limiting out of precinct voting is racist now, too? Why even bother to have precincts?

Your reference to the felons voting (most of whom probably weren't even aware that they were breaking the law) is so pathetic as evidence of rampant voter fraud that it hardly merits a response.

"Okay, so you proved that a senate seat was literally won due to voter fraud but since you can't tell me exactly how often it happens in means NOTHING, bigot"

Maybe it's a useful example for the potential significance of voter fraud in close elections, but it does literally nothing to define the scale of the problem -- for that you've, instead, elected to speculate with precisely zero scientific estimates on hand.

There's no data to draw a scientific estimate from. It's something that is incredibly easy to do and which we both know that the government has absolutely 0 interest in prosecuting.

In any case, it's true that there should be zero fraudulent ballots and measures should be taken to achieve this ... if those measures, however, end up not just inconveniencing eligible voters but actually reducing the amount of them who can vote ... then those measures should be revised. Not abandoned. Not eliminated wholesale. Revised.

I'm sorry to say, but if someone doesn't have a photo ID literally any restriction on voting, no matter how reasonable, is going to make it less likely for them to vote.

That's the position of the 4th district appellate court, the 5th district appellate court (the most conservative in the country), and literally any person who isn't ignorant and/or deliberately obtuse.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 1:31:05 PM
At 7/30/2016 7:52:51 AM, tejretics wrote:
I don't see why the government can't provide an ID for all citizens. I might be wrong, but as far as I know, in India, ID's that are accepted as voter ID's are accessible for almost everyone, if not everyone. India's population is *much* greater than that of the United States. I'm fine with voter ID laws insofar as those ID's are accessible.

Literally anyone can get one, at any time: https://www.ncdot.gov...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 1:33:42 PM
At 7/30/2016 7:16:08 AM, SolonKR wrote:
This thread is bad and you should feel bad.

You're the one who likes Gerald fcking Ford.

I don't usually recommend WP, but they did a pretty good explanatory write-up of this, so https://www.washingtonpost.com...

To sum the article up for those too lazy to read it:
1. Lawmakers specifically asked for racial data on voting. With that in mind, these next two facts are not merely coincidence, but the result of conscious choices.
2. The specific types of IDs that it required were those African-Americans don't tend to use as often.

Oh, you mean like the kind that anyone can go get at any time? https://www.ncdot.gov...

What Id's DO they have?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 1:36:12 PM
At 7/30/2016 7:30:58 AM, SolonKR wrote:
Look, most people can agree that it's not unreasonable to make people have an ID to vote in itself. But, I will never for the life of me understand how people can call all this an issue of election integrity and then turn around and support making it as difficult to vote as possible.

If you want to implement IDs, there is only one reasonable way to do it--giving every resident automatic registration to vote upon their 18th birthday or their taking up residency in the state, and a state ID card in the mail.

Oh please for the love of God, no.

They should also leave early voting windows up for a month

Yes, people should be allowed to vote before the presidential debates even start.

But I thought this was a democracy and political discourse was so incredibly important!

the US should make Election Day a national holiday, and voting should generally be as painless as possible for everyone while still being fair and honest.

You literally don't even have to show an ID to vote and can do so at any period two weeks before the election. It cannot get less painless than that.

Republicans should quit the rhetoric and take the easy, correct action. But obviously, certain states' Republicans won't, if the transparent motives of this case are any indication.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 1:37:26 PM
Question to all of you spergs:

If showing an ID isn't racist and evil and it was really just the other parts of the law why didn't the court strike only *those* portions down and leave the voter ID part untouched?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 1:53:41 PM
At 7/30/2016 8:39:12 AM, desmac wrote:
At 7/30/2016 2:24:06 AM, thett3 wrote:

How long before a Gestapo demand to see your "papers"?

I'm sure the cop will find that rhetoric extremely persuasive when you refuse to show him your drivers license
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett