Jump to topic:

Politics discussion/AMA

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 8:42:01 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
I feel like discussing something on the forums. So ask me anything about my political views, or look into my Big Issues, and tell me your own views on any such subject if you disagree with me. It might (no guarantee) turn into an interesting discussion. Idk if this belongs in the Personal or Politics forum... I'm just posting it here. I'm not guaranteeing a discussion. I probably have some indefensible views on certain issues that I'm unaware of. But on issues that I'm interested in, hopefully, we can have a discussion on that if you disagree.

Ask me anything about my political views, and/or challenge any views you disagree with.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 9:19:34 AM
At 7/30/2016 8:58:12 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 7/30/2016 8:42:01 AM, tejretics wrote:

What is your opinion on Modi?

Neutral. I like some of what he's doing, and disagree with him on some other things.

What western political ideology would he belong to?

Conservative, for the most part, with certain viewpoints typically considered liberal (e.g. affirmative action, national health care, abortion).
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 10:52:20 AM
I feel like discussing something on the forums. So ask me anything about my political views, or look into my Big Issues, and tell me your own views on any such subject if you disagree with me. It might (no guarantee) turn into an interesting discussion. Idk if this belongs in the Personal or Politics forum... I'm just posting it here. I'm not guaranteeing a discussion. I probably have some indefensible views on certain issues that I'm unaware of. But on issues that I'm interested in, hopefully, we can have a discussion on that if you disagree.

Ask me anything about my political views, and/or challenge any views you disagree with.

What, in your opinion, are the drawbacks and benefits of capitalism?
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 10:59:44 AM
At 7/30/2016 10:52:20 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
What, in your opinion, are the drawbacks and benefits of capitalism?\

The drawbacks are pretty clear, in that private corporations will continue to exploit people and workers, and that prices will be set by very few factors (or, if unregulated entirely, by solely supply, demand and competition) causing high cost of certain goods. It might damage human welfare to an extent, and it's clear that it has contributed to a wealth gap. I also dislike the fact that certain capitalist economies -- most of them -- centralize production, and I think that power should be decentralized.

But I don't see the public sector as performing nearly as efficiently as the private sector when it comes to the production and supply of certain products. Complete private sector control and regulation could lead to poor quality, and possibly high prices as well because supply can't keep up with demand (but without competition to mitigate that effect). So that could also result in the damage of human welfare, and in certain cases harms such as economic recession. Markets are needed with certain forms of production because the public sector isn't competent enough to do that, though it's relative to what country we're talking about.

So I think there should be a balance between public and private control of production, and that markets should be allowed to exist with regulation and reallocation of resources to decentralize control of production.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 11:52:02 AM
At 7/30/2016 10:59:44 AM, tejretics wrote:
At 7/30/2016 10:52:20 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
What, in your opinion, are the drawbacks and benefits of capitalism?\

The drawbacks are pretty clear, in that private corporations will continue to exploit people and workers, and that prices will be set by very few factors (or, if unregulated entirely, by solely supply, demand and competition) causing high cost of certain goods.
Yesssssssss. Prices have been unreasonably high since the privatisation of Link Reit (https://en.wikipedia.org...).
It might damage human welfare to an extent, and it's clear that it has contributed to a wealth gap. I also dislike the fact that certain capitalist economies -- most of them -- centralize production, and I think that power should be decentralized.

But I don't see the public sector as performing nearly as efficiently as the private sector when it comes to the production and supply of certain products. Complete private sector control and regulation could lead to poor quality, and possibly high prices as well because supply can't keep up with demand (but without competition to mitigate that effect). So that could also result in the damage of human welfare, and in certain cases harms such as economic recession. Markets are needed with certain forms of production because the public sector isn't competent enough to do that, though it's relative to what country we're talking about.

So I think there should be a balance between public and private control of production, and that markets should be allowed to exist with regulation and reallocation of resources to decentralize control of production.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 11:53:35 AM
At 7/30/2016 11:52:02 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
Yesssssssss. Prices have been unreasonably high since the privatisation of Link Reit (https://en.wikipedia.org...).

What do you think of my views on capitalism as expressed above?
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 11:57:11 AM
At 7/30/2016 11:53:35 AM, tejretics wrote:
At 7/30/2016 11:52:02 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

What do you think of my views on capitalism as expressed above?

I agree, though I would add the corrosion of morality by capitalism :(
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 11:57:48 AM
Do you think banning abortion will be a net benefit in areas of India where sex-selective abortion is prevalent?

Don't be a stat cynic:

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 11:59:47 AM
At 7/30/2016 11:57:48 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
Do you think banning abortion will be a net benefit in areas of India where sex-selective abortion is prevalent?

No.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 12:01:27 PM
At 7/30/2016 11:57:11 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

I'm surprised you agree with me on the "benefits of capitalism" bit.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 12:03:48 PM
At 7/30/2016 12:01:27 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 7/30/2016 11:57:11 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

I'm surprised you agree with me on the "benefits of capitalism" bit.

Lol why? I've never denied that utility is maximised in competitive markets.

Don't be a stat cynic:

tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 12:50:06 PM

What is your opinion on the current refugee crisis, and what do you think Western countries should do about t.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 12:56:22 PM
At 7/30/2016 12:50:06 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
What is your opinion on the current refugee crisis, and what do you think Western countries should do about t.

Part of me says the West should take in refugees to a certain extent, with background checks, etc. But I'm also able to understand the sentiment of not wanting such an influx of immigrants who are a potential security threat. Idk.
MattTheDreamer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 1:29:26 PM
If you had the power to create a presidential candidate, what would you make their core beliefs and how would you get them elected? Would they be Republican, Democrat, Independant?
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 2:20:40 PM

Should businesses be allowed to discriminate against other people in all cases?
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 2:25:35 PM

How gullible do you think Trump supporters are?
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 2:39:53 PM
At 7/30/2016 1:29:26 PM, MattTheDreamer wrote:
If you had the power to create a presidential candidate, what would you make their core beliefs and how would you get them elected? Would they be Republican, Democrat, Independent?

I presume you mean a presidential candidate for the United States. I would like an Independent candidate (i.e. one not bound by establishment politics). Liberal, mixed market capitalist who favors welfare reform that does away with multiple social programs and creates a universal basic income. Non-interventionist foreign policy for the most part, but a clear plan to deal with ISIS. Favors a moderate minimum wage hike, drug legalization, large-scale criminal justice reform, and campaign finance reform. Supports heightened animal welfare regulations and is leftist when it comes to environmental protection measures. See my list of issues here: http://www.debate.org...
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 2:40:15 PM
At 7/30/2016 2:20:40 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
Should businesses be allowed to discriminate against other people in all cases?

No.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 2:40:40 PM
At 7/30/2016 2:25:35 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

Not particularly.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 2:43:35 PM
At 7/30/2016 2:40:40 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 7/30/2016 2:25:35 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

Not particularly.

So do you think they are just easily manipulated then, or stupid?
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 2:44:14 PM
At 7/30/2016 2:43:35 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

Neither.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 2:46:49 PM
At 7/30/2016 2:44:14 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 7/30/2016 2:43:35 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

Neither.

Do you think they are under a mind control spell?
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 2:48:00 PM
At 7/30/2016 2:46:49 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

No.

I think they are perfectly sane people who are frustrated at the inability of the political system to accomplish anything, or genuinely support his policies.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 2:53:45 PM
At 7/30/2016 2:48:00 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 7/30/2016 2:46:49 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

No.

I think they are perfectly sane people who are frustrated at the inability of the political system to accomplish anything, or genuinely support his policies.

I understand that people are frustrated, but that is no reason to vote for a man-baby who obviously is running for President to boost his popularity.

His whacky policies like making Mexico pay for a wall just will not happen. Trump will not say his plan to defeat isis, and has flip flopped on almost every policy. So, I would rule people supporting his policies out.

Thought the system may be bad. Trump has shown that he would be even worse. He divides people even more than the current system does, which will not result in getting things done.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 3:07:15 PM
At 7/30/2016 2:53:45 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

Trump hasn't shown himself "worse than the system," or whatever.

Here's why people are voting Trump.

First, the working class of the country is frustrated that for all their hard work, they end up losing their jobs when some company decides to move to Mexico, and that working 40 hour weeks isn't enough to sustain a living for them. They're being paid low wages, and aren't finding jobs, and there are a few reasons for that in their mind which Trump has highlighted, such as encouraging illegal immigration from Mexico. There's significant unemployment in the United States, and there are people out there looking for jobs because they can't afford to pay their relatives' medical bills, and are in similar situations. Trump has offered solutions that are, in their mind, the right things to be done, such as (1) a crackdown on illegal immigration, which is causing American jobs to be lost, and (2) ending free trade deals that allow companies to move plants to countries with cheap labor, firing more employees.

Second, the political establishment is doing nothing for them, because it's filled with dishonest politicians bought over by corporations and filled with ideological dogma and labeling. The empty promises and statements made by politicians, combined with the lying and the political correctness, has frustrated the common people. The average member of the working class is actually moderate, but politicians don't care about that - they remain with their ideological dogma of extreme conservatism or leftism, not paying attention to the perceived needs of the people. Trump is willing to compromise. He favors tax cuts, a crackdown on illegal immigration, and so on, but he also goes against the establishment view by being anti-free trade and for a moderate minimum wage hike. His campaign has also been significantly funded by himself and by common people/donations, which means -- in the view of his supporters -- he isn't nearly as corporatist as other candidates. Finally, he's willing to speak out his mind instead of being constrained by political correctness, which gives people confidence that he'll get stuff done.

Third, people are scared of crime, of drugs, and of immigration. The reality is immigration from Mexico tends to bring people of socioeconomically disadvantaged groups, which means they are disproportionately likely to commit crime. Along with that is the fear of terrorism. People dislike the fact that politicians aren't willing to talk about important issues like this because of political correctness and are placing value on establishment politics more than their *lives*. Trump is the only candidate seriously talking about dealing with these issues (e.g. by building a border wall) which makes the common man feel better. With so many fears, and so many problems, and with an inactive political establishment that doesn't solve them, Trump offers a radical change, because he's a candidate outside of the political establishment who "says it like it is," and who is known for business acumen. Trump is a comfort in such a wretched world filled with establishment politics.

Whether he'll actually *make* a good president is irrelevant, because he's saying what's in the mind of the average middle-class, working person.

Tl;dr - people are facing a lot of problems and politicians are too scared to talk about them, while Trump offers comfort.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 3:35:34 PM
At 7/30/2016 2:53:45 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

Recommended reading: http://www.debate.org...
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 5:55:27 PM
What are your current objections against civil unions?

Don't be a stat cynic:

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2016 6:27:23 PM

What's your opinion on Turkey leaving NATO?
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 4:42:31 AM
At 7/30/2016 5:55:27 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
What are your current objections against civil unions?

Separate is inherently unequal.

The institution of the "civil union" was created for the purpose of fulfilling homophobia, so it is inherently unjust.