Jump to topic:

2nd Amendment Clear Interpretation

capob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 1:45:28 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
In looking up the 2nd amendment in my usual explanation of how it was to avoid tyranny, I found there were actually two relevant versions:

Passed by congress:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Ratified by the secretary of state:
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

This appears to make the intention even clearer. Let's look at the version passed by congress. You would not make a sentence in the form
the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

So, instead, this must be a list. That is, the 2nd amendment is actually describing 2 things that should not be infringed, interpreted as:

Shall not be infringed:
1. A well regulated Militia (being necessary to the security of a free State);
2. the right of the people to keep and bear Arms

With the ratified version, it turns part of the list into a introductory phrase, with one thing that shall not be infringed (bearing arms) (and the assumption that the other shouldn't be infringed either (because together they prevent tyranny)).
KendoRe2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 3:03:47 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
Declare guns illegal. I'm sure all criminals will hand them right over. People will be less safe than ever