5. Thomas Sowell

Most influential economists:

1. Adam Smith
2. John Locke
3. John Maynard Keynes
4. Milton Friedman
5. David Ricardo

Thoughts? Agreement?
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 2:24:53 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
Best:

Turgot
Schumpeter
Minsky
Cantillon
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 2:31:03 AM
John Locke is an economist?

I'm probably put Friedman and Keynes at the top of the influential list, with them being relatively interchangeable.
Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 2:32:17 AM
At 7/31/2016 2:31:03 AM, Torton wrote:

I'm probably put Friedman and Keynes at the top of the influential list, with them being relatively interchangeable.
At least above Locke, and below Smith.
capob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 2:54:09 AM
At 7/31/2016 2:22:34 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
Best economists (in my opinion):

1. Milton Friedman
2. Friedrich Hayek
3. Ludwig Von Mises
4. Henry Hazlitt
5. Thomas Sowell

1. Adam Smith
2. John Locke
3. John Maynard Keynes
4. Milton Friedman
5. David Ricardo

Thoughts? Agreement?

I don't agree, but my exposure is limited.

I remember reading one of Milton Friedman's books and thinking, this guy is an idiot (because of some illogical positions common in the austrian school). In school, long long ago, I remember reading the dynamics that came out from Keynes, and thought of them, they were rather simple, but perhaps useful.

Adam Smith was really the only one whom I read and thought, this guy is illustrating a concept which I recognized but that I've seen almost no where else. And, that is why I will always recommend The Wealth of Nations.

The unfortunate reality is that economics is not something that comes naturally to most people. And it appears to me that the austrian view of it is just another faulty view (with faulty, not fully in error) which is a little better than the keynesian view in a sort of full circle wherein Adam Smith negates the fully free market idea of the austrian school.

Though, again, I've only had limited exposure, so I could easily be wrong.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 4:16:19 AM
At 7/31/2016 2:54:09 AM, capob wrote:

1. Milton Friedman
2. Friedrich Hayek
3. Ludwig Von Mises
4. Henry Hazlitt
5. Thomas Sowell

1. Adam Smith
2. John Locke
3. John Maynard Keynes
4. Milton Friedman
5. David Ricardo

Thoughts? Agreement?

I don't agree, but my exposure is limited.

I remember reading one of Milton Friedman's books and thinking, this guy is an idiot (because of some illogical positions common in the austrian school). In school, long long ago, I remember reading the dynamics that came out from Keynes, and thought of them, they were rather simple, but perhaps useful.

Adam Smith was really the only one whom I read and thought, this guy is illustrating a concept which I recognized but that I've seen almost no where else. And, that is why I will always recommend The Wealth of Nations.

The unfortunate reality is that economics is not something that comes naturally to most people. And it appears to me that the austrian view of it is just another faulty view (with faulty, not fully in error) which is a little better than the keynesian view in a sort of full circle wherein Adam Smith negates the fully free market idea of the austrian school.

Though, again, I've only had limited exposure, so I could easily be wrong.

Your grasp on this seems to be very limited.

Milton Friedman is one of the most famous economists of the post war era. He happens to be the most famous member of the Chicago School, which uses empirical data to prove their findings.

You can disagree, but thinking that a Nobel Prize winning economist, who has written various works, is an idiot, has to be one of the most arrogant thoughts I've come across.

Other than that, Adam Smith is the most famous and influential economist, because he created the field in the first place. His magnum opus, Wealth of Nations, gave rise to Capitalism in its entirety, as well as the helps of John Locke.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 4:18:20 AM

1. Milton Friedman
2. Friedrich Hayek
3. Ludwig Von Mises
4. Henry Hazlitt
5. Thomas Sowell

1. Adam Smith
2. John Locke
3. John Maynard Keynes
4. Milton Friedman
5. David Ricardo

Thoughts? Agreement?

I'm not sure if I'd call Locke an economist. He has good stances on property rights, but outside of that, he's more of a philosopher.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 4:20:01 AM
At 7/31/2016 4:18:20 AM, lannan13 wrote:

1. Milton Friedman
2. Friedrich Hayek
3. Ludwig Von Mises
4. Henry Hazlitt
5. Thomas Sowell

1. Adam Smith
2. John Locke
3. John Maynard Keynes
4. Milton Friedman
5. David Ricardo

Thoughts? Agreement?

I'm not sure if I'd call Locke an economist. He has good stances on property rights, but outside of that, he's more of a philosopher.

Have you read Locke's work?

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 4:20:44 AM
At 7/31/2016 4:20:01 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

1. Milton Friedman
2. Friedrich Hayek
3. Ludwig Von Mises
4. Henry Hazlitt
5. Thomas Sowell

1. Adam Smith
2. John Locke
3. John Maynard Keynes
4. Milton Friedman
5. David Ricardo

Thoughts? Agreement?

A few, haven't dove into it as much as Friedman and Hayek.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 4:22:32 AM
At 7/31/2016 4:20:44 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 7/31/2016 4:20:01 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

1. Milton Friedman
2. Friedrich Hayek
3. Ludwig Von Mises
4. Henry Hazlitt
5. Thomas Sowell

1. Adam Smith
2. John Locke
3. John Maynard Keynes
4. Milton Friedman
5. David Ricardo

Thoughts? Agreement?

A few, haven't dove into it as much as Friedman and Hayek.

You've read Locke's work, but come to the conclusion that he's not an economist, when he was only beaten by Smith on the influence he had on economics?

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 4:32:01 AM
Paul Krugman should be online the list. Even if he's a shill for the left and new york times, doesn't make him any less influential.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 4:53:44 AM
At 7/31/2016 4:32:01 AM, darkkermit wrote:
Paul Krugman should be online the list. Even if he's a shill for the left and new york times, doesn't make him any less influential.
Paul Samuelson should be on "influential" before Krugman

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
capob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 4:56:43 AM
At 7/31/2016 4:16:19 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
Oh, why's that?

Milton Friedman is one of the most famous economists of the post war era. He happens to be the most famous member of the Chicago School

Yes, I know

Other than that, Adam Smith is the most famous and influential economist, because he created the field in the first place. His magnum opus, Wealth of Nations, gave rise to Capitalism in its entirety, as well as the helps of John Locke.

Have you read The Wealth of Nations?

You can disagree, but thinking that a Nobel Prize winning economist, who has written various works, is an idiot, has to be one of the most arrogant thoughts I've come across.

I think you have to look up the definition of arrogant, since I didn't care who it was that wrote what i read in my determination that it was bullocks, and I didn't consider myself in the determination - it was simply a matter of logic and experience. That is, there was no pride involved.

But, it was probably an over reaction as a consequence to having hoped the arguments were more complex than those I'd seen from people who were parroting him.

Perhaps you can recommend one of his books that I can read to refresh my memory and either disprove myself or allow myself to present the failures I saw the first time I read one of his books.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 4:59:28 AM
At 7/31/2016 4:56:43 AM, capob wrote:
At 7/31/2016 4:16:19 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
Oh, why's that?

Simply an observation from the assertions you've made thus far.

Milton Friedman is one of the most famous economists of the post war era. He happens to be the most famous member of the Chicago School

Yes, I know

Have you read The Wealth of Nations?

Yes, I have read it 3 times, actually. I'm currently reading it for the 4th time.

I think you have to look up the definition of arrogant, since I didn't care who it was that wrote what i read in my determination that it was bullocks, and I didn't consider myself in the determination - it was simply a matter of logic and experience. That is, there was no pride involved.

You, as a layperson, lack the credibility to determine the intelligence of a Nobel Prize winning economist, who has written half a dozen great works, and has influenced monetary policy more than you could even imagine.

But, it was probably an over reaction as a consequence to having hoped the arguments were more complex than those I'd seen from people who were parroting him.

Perhaps you can recommend one of his books that I can read to refresh my memory and either disprove myself or allow myself to present the failures I saw the first time I read one of his books.

For a good philosophical pick, I would say Capitalism and Freedom. For a more research oriented book, I would say A Monetary History of the U.S.

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 5:00:51 AM
At 7/31/2016 2:31:03 AM, Torton wrote:

John Locke was an economist, and he is far more influential than Keynes, as the assertions of Keynesian, Chicago, Austrian and Georgist styles of economics happens to all be based on premises from Locke and Smith. Those two were the founders, essentially.

Other than that, I agree with Friedman and Keynes being pretty high up.

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 5:05:46 AM
At 7/31/2016 2:24:53 AM, someloser wrote:
Best:

Turgot

Physiocracy is a terrible economic school.

Schumpeter

Very influential for heterodox economists.

Minsky

He has had very little influence in mainstream economics or in monetary policy.

Cantillon

Physiocracy was a pretty terrible economic school.

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 5:06:33 AM

I won't put him on the list, since he just puppets what Keynes says but does it badly. He's less of an economist and more of an ideologue.

someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 5:43:06 AM
At 7/31/2016 5:05:46 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
Turgot

Physiocracy is a terrible economic school.
Turgot's contributions go far beyond him being a physiocrat. Take his development of the law of diminishing returns.

He has had very little influence in mainstream economics or in monetary policy.
Which is a real shame

Cantillon

Physiocracy was a pretty terrible economic school.
Have you read An Essay on Economic Theory?

someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 6:00:02 AM
At 7/31/2016 5:06:33 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

I won't put him on the list, since he just puppets what Keynes says but does it badly. He's less of an economist and more of an ideologue.
Nah, he's parroting Samuelson and his successors. People like Keen and the other post-Keynesians are much closer to Keynes than Krugman.

Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 9:34:25 AM
How about Alfred Marshall?
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
capob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 4:11:01 PM
At 7/31/2016 4:59:28 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
Yes, I have read it 3 times, actually. I'm currently reading it for the 4th time.

I'm curious, without consulting anything online, what would you say are the main points presented in the book?
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 4:32:04 PM
At 7/31/2016 9:34:25 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
How about Alfred Marshall?

He was one of the dominant English economists, but he hasn't influenced post-war thinking too much.

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 4:33:23 PM
At 7/31/2016 4:11:01 PM, capob wrote:

I'm curious, without consulting anything online, what would you say are the main points presented in the book?

The book mainly gives his observations on how the micro and macro economies have worked thus far, and how they should work, as well as pointing out the flaws of mercantilism.

capob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 8:02:07 PM
At 7/31/2016 4:33:23 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

The book mainly gives his observations on how the micro and macro economies have worked thus far, and how they should work, as well as pointing out the flaws of mercantilism.

Perhaps you've confused my inquiry. I've read the book twice, and I don't need an outline. I was curious as to whether you found the same points from the book that I did, because i usually see that libertarians tend to miss one, and I previously excused that with the idea that they didn't actually read the book.

So, if you would be so kind, can you be more specific?
capob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 8:10:45 PM

I suppose I should be a little more specific. Did you read the full version (https://www.amazon.com...) or the abridged version (https://www.amazon.com...)

That might actually be what is causing the discrepancy between what I gleaned and what others gleaned (I was unaware there was an abridged version).

Separately, my inquiry is on what points did you gather regarding
- mercantilism
- the nature of unfettered competition in markets
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 8:19:41 PM
At 7/31/2016 8:02:07 PM, capob wrote:

Perhaps you've confused my inquiry. I've read the book twice, and I don't need an outline. I was curious as to whether you found the same points from the book that I did, because i usually see that libertarians tend to miss one, and I previously excused that with the idea that they didn't actually read the book.

So, if you would be so kind, can you be more specific?

Wealth of Nations is a 3 part book, with over 500 pages in writing. What "part" would I have missed, and can you be more specific about it?

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 8:20:07 PM
At 7/31/2016 8:10:45 PM, capob wrote:

I suppose I should be a little more specific. Did you read the full version (https://www.amazon.com...) or the abridged version (https://www.amazon.com...)

That might actually be what is causing the discrepancy between what I gleaned and what others gleaned (I was unaware there was an abridged version).

Separately, my inquiry is on what points did you gather regarding
- mercantilism
- the nature of unfettered competition in markets

I read the full, original version.

capob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 8:41:44 PM
At 7/31/2016 8:19:41 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
Wealth of Nations is a 3 part book, with over 500 pages in writing. What "part" would I have missed, and can you be more specific about it?

I'd have to say, from this description, it would seem you read the abridged version. The book is 5 parts (https://en.wikipedia.org... split into 5 "books"), and is over 1100 pages.

In any case, this discussion appears to be going no where, so nevermind on my question.
someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 10:05:03 PM
At 7/31/2016 10:02:14 PM, Hayd wrote:
karl marx
way better a sociologist/philosopher than economist.