Jump to topic:

Political AMA

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 5:16:23 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
Tej did one, and I liked the idea, so I'm going to do it too. Ask me anything about politics/economics/etc.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 5:26:34 AM
What's your thoughts on increasing technological unemployment (i.e., automation of jobs), and the argument that a basic income may be necessary because of it?
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 5:37:26 AM
At 7/31/2016 5:26:34 AM, Torton wrote:
What's your thoughts on increasing technological unemployment (i.e., automation of jobs), and the argument that a basic income may be necessary because of it?

It's largely a myth. I will never support a basic income, as I despise redistribution, but the idea that we somehow are having "less" employment in the long run due to technological developments is mythical at best. The assembly line, sewing machines, etc. have all been technological developments which have reduced labor in the short term, but have increased it in the long term as it led to redistribution.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 6:37:24 AM
At 7/31/2016 5:16:23 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
Tej did one, and I liked the idea, so I'm going to do it too. Ask me anything about politics/economics/etc.

Do you believe unemployment rates are exaggerated and less of a problem as they are made out to be, and that inflation is a bigger issue?

Do you believe regulations benefit big businesses and hurt smaller ones?

What do you believe are some negative effects from Obama's stimulus packages excluding debt? Do you see stimulus spending as a form of crony Capitalism?
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 6:57:26 AM
At 7/31/2016 6:37:24 AM, triangle.128k wrote:

Do you believe unemployment rates are exaggerated and less of a problem as they are made out to be, and that inflation is a bigger issue?

Employment numbers are largely mistaken, as our actual employment is far higher than the reported. And yes, inflation is a much bigger issue.

Do you believe regulations benefit big businesses and hurt smaller ones?

They don't benefit big businesses so much as they harm small businesses more, so it drives them out completely while the bigger guys can handle it more.

What do you believe are some negative effects from Obama's stimulus packages excluding debt? Do you see stimulus spending as a form of crony Capitalism?

One of the longest recovery rates and higher spending was a negative effect, and yes, I do see stimulus as being crony.

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 7:03:22 AM

What's your opinion on Murray Rothbard?
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 7:04:13 AM
At 7/31/2016 7:03:22 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

One of the best.

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 7:10:08 AM
At 7/31/2016 7:04:13 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

One of the best.

What's your opinion on Leo Tolstoy?

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

MakeSensePeopleDont
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 7:37:37 AM
At 7/31/2016 5:37:26 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

It's largely a myth. I will never support a basic income, as I despise redistribution, but the idea that we somehow are having "less" employment in the long run due to technological developments is mythical at best. The assembly line, sewing machines, etc. have all been technological developments which have reduced labor in the short term, but have increased it in the long term as it led to redistribution.

It's actually not a myth. Your examples provided "assembly line" and "sewing machines" are not a proper comparison here. Let's review both examples, their impacts on their unique markets, and finish both by adding an extra variable to define proper comparison.

1) The invention of the Ford Production Line (assembly line) increased efficiency and competence of every worker, decreased number of errors committed, increased speed of product build, increased daily output, and in turn lowered production costs which significantly lowered cost of finished product for the consumer. The increased availability of product in conjunction with significantly lower purchase price meant higher demand; higher demand mandates increased production to increase supply. Increased product requirements results in an increase in a company's labor requirements which means an increase in employment. This was the actual result back in 1911 with the invention of the Ford Production Line.

Now, in 1962, the first industrial robot was installed and went live within the General Motors automotive factory in New Jersey; this robot performed fully automated spot welding and die casting extractions. As the technology was proven, more industrial robots were designed and implemented. Although these robots increased production rates and decreased cost to consumers, increasing demand; the growth of automation within the automotive manufacturing field meant less workers were required.

Say six employees each shift are required to install the four doors on each vehicle manufactured. Two automated robots are implemented, one for each side of the car; those six workers are no longer required for door installation and are subsequently terminated due to position being dissolved. As robotic integration increases, four stations totaling 24 employees per shift are downsized to one employee who only provides oversight of the robots. Technological growth and integration is the cause of labor requirement decreases, not the assembly line.

2) Let's hit this in much shorter fashion. People initially hand sewn everything. Low supply, high manufacturing times and costs. The invention of the sewing machine increased production speed, decreased cost to consumer, increased demand, and increased labor requirements. This is the same as the Ford Production Line.

The invention of the automated, robotic sewing machines, just as robotics in the automotive factories, decreased labor requirements.

Do not confuse innovation and efficiency with technological, automation advances.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 3:58:10 PM
At 7/31/2016 7:10:08 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

One of the best.

Ana Karenina is a classic. Great writer.

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 4:00:10 PM
At 7/31/2016 7:37:37 AM, MakeSensePeopleDont wrote:
At 7/31/2016 5:37:26 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

It's actually not a myth. Your examples provided "assembly line" and "sewing machines" are not a proper comparison here. Let's review both examples, their impacts on their unique markets, and finish both by adding an extra variable to define proper comparison.

1) The invention of the Ford Production Line (assembly line) increased efficiency and competence of every worker, decreased number of errors committed, increased speed of product build, increased daily output, and in turn lowered production costs which significantly lowered cost of finished product for the consumer. The increased availability of product in conjunction with significantly lower purchase price meant higher demand; higher demand mandates increased production to increase supply. Increased product requirements results in an increase in a company's labor requirements which means an increase in employment. This was the actual result back in 1911 with the invention of the Ford Production Line.

Now, in 1962, the first industrial robot was installed and went live within the General Motors automotive factory in New Jersey; this robot performed fully automated spot welding and die casting extractions. As the technology was proven, more industrial robots were designed and implemented. Although these robots increased production rates and decreased cost to consumers, increasing demand; the growth of automation within the automotive manufacturing field meant less workers were required.

Say six employees each shift are required to install the four doors on each vehicle manufactured. Two automated robots are implemented, one for each side of the car; those six workers are no longer required for door installation and are subsequently terminated due to position being dissolved. As robotic integration increases, four stations totaling 24 employees per shift are downsized to one employee who only provides oversight of the robots. Technological growth and integration is the cause of labor requirement decreases, not the assembly line.

2) Let's hit this in much shorter fashion. People initially hand sewn everything. Low supply, high manufacturing times and costs. The invention of the sewing machine increased production speed, decreased cost to consumer, increased demand, and increased labor requirements. This is the same as the Ford Production Line.

The invention of the automated, robotic sewing machines, just as robotics in the automotive factories, decreased labor requirements.

Do not confuse innovation and efficiency with technological, automation advances.

You're correct. That was my mistake.

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 5:39:36 PM
At 7/31/2016 3:58:10 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

One of the best.

What's your opinion on Edmund Burke?

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 5:46:08 PM

Are you the last person remaining who thinks "Trickle-down" economics works?
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 5:50:22 PM
At 7/31/2016 5:39:36 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 7/31/2016 3:58:10 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

One of the best.

What's your opinion on Edmund Burke?

I highly respect him, but I prefer Paine.

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 5:50:45 PM
At 7/31/2016 5:46:08 PM, TBR wrote:

Probably not.

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 5:54:12 PM
At 7/31/2016 5:50:45 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Probably not.

When arguing for the biggest loser of economic theory, what fantasy examples of success do you point to?
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 5:57:28 PM
At 7/31/2016 5:54:12 PM, TBR wrote:
At 7/31/2016 5:50:45 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Probably not.

When arguing for the biggest loser of economic theory, what fantasy examples of success do you point to?

I can already tell you don't understand economics fully when you use the term "trickle-down". It's more of a political term than an economic one.

To answer your question, when arguing for the biggest loser of economic history, which is state intervention, I'll point to the vast success of the American industrial sector in the quasi-free market we had in the 1800s and the productivity increases when we were able to win the game of comparative advantage.

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 2:13:52 AM
Bump

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 2:25:37 AM

When there's a conflict with right to life and the other is the right to property, which should win in a SCOTUS case?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 3:38:07 AM

Do you consider yourself a Secular Neo-Reactionary Anarch-Capitalist?

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 3:38:20 AM

Thoughts on NAP?

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 4:09:13 AM
At 8/2/2016 2:25:37 AM, lannan13 wrote:

When there's a conflict with right to life and the other is the right to property, which should win in a SCOTUS case?

Too vague.

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 4:09:34 AM
At 8/2/2016 3:38:07 AM, lannan13 wrote:

Yes, but I like to say that I'm not an AnCap when I basically am.

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 4:09:43 AM
At 8/2/2016 3:38:20 AM, lannan13 wrote:

Thoughts on NAP?

Love it

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 4:11:27 AM
At 8/2/2016 4:09:43 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Thoughts on NAP?

Love it

If you love NAP then who do you justify your stances on many of your stances in regards to BLM, ISIL, Muslims, and a long list of other things?

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 4:12:18 AM
At 8/2/2016 4:09:34 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Just SNR, Anfas, or NAC?

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 4:15:11 AM
At 8/2/2016 4:11:27 AM, lannan13 wrote:

Thoughts on NAP?

Love it

If you love NAP then who do you justify your stances on many of your stances in regards to BLM, ISIL, Muslims, and a long list of other things?

NAP only refers to humans.

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 4:15:46 AM
At 8/2/2016 4:12:18 AM, lannan13 wrote:

Just SNR, Anfas, or NAC?

SNRAC but I have some AnFas leanings too.

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 4:17:25 AM
At 8/2/2016 4:15:11 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 8/2/2016 4:11:27 AM, lannan13 wrote:

Thoughts on NAP?

Love it

NAP only refers to humans.

lol, fair enough.

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 4:19:09 AM
At 8/2/2016 4:15:46 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 8/2/2016 4:12:18 AM, lannan13 wrote:

Just SNR, Anfas, or NAC?

SNRAC but I have some AnFas leanings too.

To re-establish natural order in the west, what should the US do?