Jump to topic:

2-party dictatorship

Shtookah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2010 10:20:11 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Would it be a fair accusation to say that in the United States, we live in what can be considered a two party dictatorship?
You are reading a very cool and original signature that makes you think I am chill person to hang with.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2011 9:05:09 AM
No and yes . . . although there are 2 major parties that get elected they are not a part of any dictatorship for a dictatorship is lead by a singular individual plus you can always vote for an independent, but at the same time I can see how this conclusion can be drawn do to the fact these two parties have the greatest power . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2011 10:05:16 PM
At 1/1/2011 9:05:09 AM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
No and yes . . . although there are 2 major parties that get elected they are not a part of any dictatorship for a dictatorship is lead by a singular individual plus you can always vote for an independent, but at the same time I can see how this conclusion can be drawn do to the fact these two parties have the greatest power . . .

Absolutely not. It would be an oligarchy if their was only one party, and it would be a binarchy if it were only two individuals. However, it's mostly two parties, so it's none of the above.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2011 11:57:17 PM
At 1/1/2011 10:05:16 PM, wjmelements wrote:

Absolutely not. It would be an oligarchy if their was only one party, and it would be a binarchy if it were only two individuals. However, it's mostly two parties, so it's none of the above.

So you have agreed with my statement . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Shtookah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2011 12:32:54 AM
At 1/1/2011 10:15:15 PM, FREEDO wrote:
There is only one party in America. The Corporate Party.

I agree with that statement
You are reading a very cool and original signature that makes you think I am chill person to hang with.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2011 4:16:36 AM
At 1/1/2011 11:57:17 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
At 1/1/2011 10:05:16 PM, wjmelements wrote:

So you have agreed with my statement . . .
An individual is not a party.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 1:24:58 PM
It is not a two-party dictatorship mostly because there is very little party discipline compared to other systems. There is a wide range of ideologies and issue positions within the parties.

Your hyperbole is trying to imply that the two parties exert control over national discourse and decision-making. It also implies much more inter-party cohesion than actually exists. The most obvious counter-example is the Blue Dog Democrats versus the Progressives within the Democratic Party.