Jump to topic:

Do you believe in "white privilege"?

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 2:24:55 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
Do you believe in "white privilege"? Why? What evidence do you have that it exists?

Why does "white privilege" matter, whether it exists or not? What purpose does that concept serve for you?

A complete answer to these questions will:

1. Define white privilege (i.e. both "white" and "privilege" and how those two work together); and
2. Make the case for white privilege's existence, with evidence.

A complete answer will not begin and end in circular reasoning (read: do not assume that white privilege exists as a basis for telling me that it exists).

I have asked this question several times, and I have never gotten a real answer from anyone, ever, at any time.

Most people can't even put a hand on any real "differences" that are solely caused by race, and even those who can talk about "differences" cannot explain why difference implies "privilege" of any kind. Most don't even understand what privilege, if it exists, is.

So that's my question... Good luck.
Tsar of DDO
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 3:35:24 AM
At 8/9/2016 2:24:55 AM, YYW wrote:
Do you believe in "white privilege"? Why? What evidence do you have that it exists?

Why does "white privilege" matter, whether it exists or not? What purpose does that concept serve for you?

1. Define white privilege (i.e. both "white" and "privilege" and how those two work together); and

A complete answer will not begin and end in circular reasoning (read: do not assume that white privilege exists as a basis for telling me that it exists).

I have asked this question several times, and I have never gotten a real answer from anyone, ever, at any time.

Most people can't even put a hand on any real "differences" that are solely caused by race, and even those who can talk about "differences" cannot explain why difference implies "privilege" of any kind. Most don't even understand what privilege, if it exists, is.

That is because you don't accept any rational definition of white privelage nor do you accept statistically valid social experiments which demonstrate advantage or disadvantage due to race.

I would be better off writing to a brick wall.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 3:56:34 AM

Just a quick question. Who grants these privileges?
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 4:00:24 AM

There is no "white privilege". There's just privelege. If liberals truely were "anti white privilege", there's no way inhell they'd vote Hillary. But notice...white liberals sure as hell are not giving up this so called privilege to minorities. They are closed fisted racists.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 4:02:54 AM
At 8/9/2016 4:00:24 AM, brontoraptor wrote:

There is no "white privilege". There's just privilege. If liberals truly were "anti white privilege", there's no way in hell they'd vote Hillary. But notice...white liberals sure as hell are not giving up this so called privilege to minorities. They are closed fisted racists.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 4:05:40 AM
At 8/9/2016 3:35:24 AM, slo1 wrote:

That is because you don't accept any rational definition of white privelage nor do you accept statistically valid social experiments which demonstrate advantage or disadvantage due to race.

I would be better off writing to a brick wall.

I'm a minority who made it just fine and as for the white kiberal minority bating? Fu*k em.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 5:15:15 AM
At 8/9/2016 5:12:35 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 8/9/2016 4:07:07 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
No.

http://geniusquotes.org...

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com...

umm..that's "green" privilege...

Quite.

http://chooseyourstory.com...
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 6:00:05 AM

Yes
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 8:48:55 AM

Yes. Because it's fairly obvious throughout US history Whites have have held majority political and economic power and having said power comes with perks.

Even if you don't think White Privilege exists today, you can't possibly argue it doesn't exist. Racially based slavery is a perfect example, if I were born in the 1840's as a black man in the US the possibility of being kidnapped and sold into slavery would be very real. The movie '12 Years a Slave' is based on this occurrence. If I were born white I would have no legitimate concern of being enslaved and forced to work on a plantation along side black slaves. That's a straight forward example of privilege. Jim Crow laws saying blacks can't while whites can is privilege.

The negative repercussions and denial of resources that slavery, Jim Crow and other acts of de jure and de facto institutionalized racism has hindered the social and economic progression of blacks into the modern era.

I have a question for you, if you lived in a conservative state were one could deny housing, services or employment to homosexuals would you feel you have equal opportunity for success compered to straight people? Would it be fair to say straight people have an advantage in being hired or buying/renting homes? If yes that's privilege.

Acknowledging its existence is the first step to acknowledging that others in society are unnecessarily disadvantaged and suffer hardship merely because of their race. It's the first step to addressing a cycle that produces poverty, crime and human indignation so that we may reverse it and heal our society from racial tension/bigotry.

White = The "majority" in terms of population and/or influence in both political, social and economic spheres of life. In the case of race in the West white means Caucasian.

Black = The minority, the 'other', generally undesirable and/or foreign to the majority.

Privilege = Unearned advantages. In the case of race, you didn't choose to be white but still benefit from it compared to non-whites.

Combined, White Privilege means the unearned advantages in your life solely due to being apart of the majority race of society.

Here are examples of how whites avoid punishment/gain benefits simply based on race..

My favorite example of institutional racism comes from Robert Moses. A man who literally designed New York to be more appealing to whites while limiting the opportunities of blacks. [http://www.nytimes.com...] [http://www.dmagazine.com...]

But the easiest examples come from crime related topics.

In New York it's been found that during police stops whites are far more likely to be found carrying a gun or drugs; quote "It"s unlikely that the appropriate lesson to take from these findings is that stops of white people should increase because they are more likely to carry weapons and drugs. Rather, they suggest that police are excessively targeting minorities. Officers may be netting more successful stops of white New Yorkers because they are only likely to stop a white person when they actually suspect that person of committing a crime. Considering one officer"s testimony that superiors explicitly directed him to target young black men, minorities are judged by a much more flexible definition of "reasonable suspicion." [https://thinkprogress.org...]

DEA agent admits they were told not to enforce drug laws in rich neighborhoods [http://thefreethoughtproject.com...]

A 2014 study by the American Civil Liberties Union found that, at the federal level, a African Americans and Latinos receive sentences that are 20 times longer than whites. [http://www.theroot.com...]

A 2015 study by the Sentencing Project found that judges are more likely to give individuals of color longer sentences than whites, even if they have less of a criminal record. It also found that juvenile probation officers, in many cases, view crimes committed by whites as momentary lapses of judgment, or the products of a poor environment. For African Americans, the cause of crime is viewed as being related to poor attitudes or personalities. [same source as above]

Using FBI data to show disparity of drug related arrests towards blacks despite a disparity of actual violations of the law. http://www.timwise.org...

The difference in sentencing between crack and powdered cocaine especially considering the racial correlation between preferred drugs and how they are essentially the same drug is privilege. http://www.usnews.com...

In terms of healthcare treatment: http://www.pbs.org...
https://news.virginia.edu...
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com...

The Case for Reparations describes, among other things, how even after segregation laws ended de facto segregation was still enforced especially in keeping blacks from living in the suburbs contributing to ghettoization. Its actually a very good read.http://www.theatlantic.com...

An Australian study finding whites were much more favored to get free bus rides than other minorities http://www.takepart.com...

These are all examples of how simply being white makes life easier for you. People are less likely to judge you morally for being white, cops are less likely to see you as suspicious etc. This is privilege.

I really hope you respond.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 12:25:41 PM
Do you believe in "white privilege"?

Depends on how it is defined. Racism exists, for sure, in multiple regions, and to the extent that it affects anyone, those who are affected by it less could be called "privileged," in which case it might exist.

Why? What evidence do you have that it exists?

Idk. Depends on how "privilege" is defined.

There are certainly cases where blacks are more disadvantaged than whites, more due to socioeconomic problems than anything else, really, but also partly due to terrible laws on criminal justice. It tends to be the case that the occasional racist cop--not that racist cops are frequently existent--is racist towards non-whites, in the United States.

I think it's a stupid way to frame the issue.

1. Define white privilege (i.e. both "white" and "privilege" and how those two work together);

This is the difficult part.

I'm sure you agree with most of what I believe, e.g. drug laws that disproportionately affect blacks even if the crime rates of blacks are greater.

Really, the issue is what "white privilege" is. I think its existence isn't the issue, and the issue is how the discussion is framed. The average "social justice warrior" frames the issue as one that should be achieved by social policy, etc. and thinks every average working person is racist. But I think it's primarily an economic issue created by socioeconomic disparities--and also certain racial categorization perpetuated by these "social justice warriors" themselves. What needs to be done: end the War on Drugs, reform the criminal justice system, and institute some form of social welfare that reduces poverty significantly.

I agree with this.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 12:26:26 PM
At 8/9/2016 4:07:07 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
No.

http://geniusquotes.org...

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com...

Yeah, this is exactly what I think.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 12:28:22 PM
At 8/9/2016 12:25:41 PM, tejretics wrote:
I'm sure you agree with most of what I believe, e.g. drug laws that disproportionately affect blacks even if the crime rates of blacks are greater.

To clarify what I mean by this, even if it is taken into account that crime rates of blacks are greater, non-whites are still affected disproportionately -- but not entirely due to race. Due to a bunch of factors, most of which are based on socioeconomic status.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 1:48:23 PM

There is no "white privilege". There's just privelege. If liberals truely were "anti white privilege", there's no way inhell they'd vote Hillary. But notice...white liberals sure as hell are not giving up this so called privilege to minorities. They are closed fisted racists.

Lol? If there is privilege it would be reasonable to believe that there are different kinds of privilege. It wouldn't even make sense to say "I am privileged". Someone would reasonably asking you "In what way are you privileged?" If that I so, it'd be reasonable to believe there is also racial privilege given the history of this country (even abstracting away all present day evidence).
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 1:49:45 PM
At 8/9/2016 12:28:22 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 8/9/2016 12:25:41 PM, tejretics wrote:

To clarify what I mean by this, even if it is taken into account that crime rates of blacks are greater, non-whites are still affected disproportionately -- but not entirely due to race. Due to a bunch of factors, most of which are based on socioeconomic status.

All that's required is that race be a significant factor, not a sole factor.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 2:24:58 PM
At 8/9/2016 8:48:55 AM, Bennett91 wrote:

Yes. Because it's fairly obvious throughout US history Whites have have held majority political and economic power and having said power comes with perks.

Even if you don't think White Privilege exists today, you can't possibly argue it doesn't exist. Racially based slavery is a perfect example, if I were born in the 1840's as a black man in the US the possibility of being kidnapped and sold into slavery would be very real. The movie '12 Years a Slave' is based on this occurrence. If I were born white I would have no legitimate concern of being enslaved and forced to work on a plantation along side black slaves. That's a straight forward example of privilege. Jim Crow laws saying blacks can't while whites can is privilege.

The negative repercussions and denial of resources that slavery, Jim Crow and other acts of de jure and de facto institutionalized racism has hindered the social and economic progression of blacks into the modern era.

I have a question for you, if you lived in a conservative state were one could deny housing, services or employment to homosexuals would you feel you have equal opportunity for success compered to straight people? Would it be fair to say straight people have an advantage in being hired or buying/renting homes? If yes that's privilege.

Acknowledging its existence is the first step to acknowledging that others in society are unnecessarily disadvantaged and suffer hardship merely because of their race. It's the first step to addressing a cycle that produces poverty, crime and human indignation so that we may reverse it and heal our society from racial tension/bigotry.

White = The "majority" in terms of population and/or influence in both political, social and economic spheres of life. In the case of race in the West white means Caucasian.

Black = The minority, the 'other', generally undesirable and/or foreign to the majority.

Privilege = Unearned advantages. In the case of race, you didn't choose to be white but still benefit from it compared to non-whites.

Combined, White Privilege means the unearned advantages in your life solely due to being apart of the majority race of society.

Here are examples of how whites avoid punishment/gain benefits simply based on race..

My favorite example of institutional racism comes from Robert Moses. A man who literally designed New York to be more appealing to whites while limiting the opportunities of blacks. [http://www.nytimes.com...] [http://www.dmagazine.com...]

In New York it's been found that during police stops whites are far more likely to be found carrying a gun or drugs; quote "It"s unlikely that the appropriate lesson to take from these findings is that stops of white people should increase because they are more likely to carry weapons and drugs. Rather, they suggest that police are excessively targeting minorities. Officers may be netting more successful stops of white New Yorkers because they are only likely to stop a white person when they actually suspect that person of committing a crime. Considering one officer"s testimony that superiors explicitly directed him to target young black men, minorities are judged by a much more flexible definition of "reasonable suspicion." [https://thinkprogress.org...]

DEA agent admits they were told not to enforce drug laws in rich neighborhoods [http://thefreethoughtproject.com...]

A 2014 study by the American Civil Liberties Union found that, at the federal level, a African Americans and Latinos receive sentences that are 20 times longer than whites. [http://www.theroot.com...]

A 2015 study by the Sentencing Project found that judges are more likely to give individuals of color longer sentences than whites, even if they have less of a criminal record. It also found that juvenile probation officers, in many cases, view crimes committed by whites as momentary lapses of judgment, or the products of a poor environment. For African Americans, the cause of crime is viewed as being related to poor attitudes or personalities. [same source as above]

Using FBI data to show disparity of drug related arrests towards blacks despite a disparity of actual violations of the law. http://www.timwise.org...

The difference in sentencing between crack and powdered cocaine especially considering the racial correlation between preferred drugs and how they are essentially the same drug is privilege. http://www.usnews.com...

In terms of healthcare treatment: http://www.pbs.org...
https://news.virginia.edu...
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com...

The Case for Reparations describes, among other things, how even after segregation laws ended de facto segregation was still enforced especially in keeping blacks from living in the suburbs contributing to ghettoization. Its actually a very good read.http://www.theatlantic.com...

An Australian study finding whites were much more favored to get free bus rides than other minorities http://www.takepart.com...

These are all examples of how simply being white makes life easier for you. People are less likely to judge you morally for being white, cops are less likely to see you as suspicious etc. This is privilege.

I really hope you respond.

Minorities have gotten what they've tried for. If you put no player in the game you cannot win the game.

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 2:47:42 PM

The immediate issue with this is that you're warping time. Human history is linear, so it is useless to begin basing any argument on past transgressions. Problems that existed in the past aren't relevant. You can't go back in time to point to injustices - because to use those injustices you must prove each one still exists today.

I would also like to say that a majority race holding the majority of the power isn't all to uncommon. In fact, that would be an effect of democratic rule.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 2:50:46 PM

Yup.

Because some people are, generally speaking, worse off that such a thing exists. This is bad; this should be changed.

" A privilege is special treatment that goes beyond a right. It"s not so much that being white confers privilege but that not being white means being without rights in many cases. Not fearing that the police will kill your child for no reason isn"t a privilege. It"s a right. But I think that is what "white privilege" is meant to convey, that whites don"t have many of the worries nonwhites, especially blacks, do. I was talking to a white friend of mine earlier today. He has always lived in the New York City area. He couldn"t see how the Michael Brown case had anything to do with him. I guess that would be an example of white privilege.

Other examples of white privilege include all of the ways that whites are unlikely to end up in prison for some of the same things blacks do, not having to worry about skin-color bias, not having to worry about being pulled over by the police while driving or stopped and frisked while walking in predominantly white neighborhoods, having more family wealth because your parents and other forebears were not subject to Jim Crow and slavery. Probably all of the ways in which whites are better off than blacks in our society are forms of white privilege. "

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...

http://journals.plos.org...

"A geographically-resolved, multi-level Bayesian model is used to analyze the data presented in the U.S. Police-Shooting Database (USPSD) in order to investigate the extent of racial bias in the shooting of American civilians by police officers in recent years. In contrast to previous work that relied on the FBI"s Supplemental Homicide Reports that were constructed from self-reported cases of police-involved homicide, this data set is less likely to be biased by police reporting practices. County-specific relative risk outcomes of being shot by police are estimated as a function of the interaction of: 1) whether suspects/civilians were armed or unarmed, and 2) the race/ethnicity of the suspects/civilians. The results provide evidence of a significant bias in the killing of unarmed black Americans relative to unarmed white Americans, in that the probability of being {black, unarmed, and shot by police} is about 3.49 times the probability of being {white, unarmed, and shot by police} on average. Furthermore, the results of multi-level modeling show that there exists significant heterogeneity across counties in the extent of racial bias in police shootings, with some counties showing relative risk ratios of 20 to 1 or more. Finally, analysis of police shooting data as a function of county-level predictors suggests that racial bias in police shootings is most likely to emerge in police departments in larger metropolitan counties with low median incomes and a sizable portion of black residents, especially when there is high financial inequality in that county. There is no relationship between county-level racial bias in police shootings and crime rates (even race-specific crime rates), meaning that the racial bias observed in police shootings in this data set is not explainable as a response to local-level crime rates."

http://www.vox.com...

"For example, in the stop and frisk data for New York City, the great majority of people stopped had no weapons or contraband on them. And 1 percent of black people who were stopped had weapons or contraband on them, while 1.4 percent of white people stopped did " suggesting that black people weren"t more likely to be doing anything wrong despite getting stopped more often.

There"s also no reason to believe that people of a certain race are worse, less lawful drivers. And white and black Americans use and sell drugs at very similar rates, but black Americans are much more likely 9348;to be arrested for drug possession.

"Sometimes we"ll hear the assertion that if you"re not doing anything wrong, the police won"t stop you. That is clearly untrue," Natapoff said. "Police stop individuals, particularly individuals in communities of color, for all sorts of reasons that have nothing to do with whether that individual is committing a crime."

http://www.theatlantic.com...

All of this (and much more) shows that whites are (generally speaking) better off than non-whites in these regards because of race (or race is a significant factor why non-whites are worse off in these regards in general).

I think you mean you just haven't gotten a "real" answer you like or agree with. I've seen multiple people give you "real" answers.

See above.

BLACK LIVES MATTER!
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 2:50:51 PM
At 8/9/2016 1:48:23 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Lol? If there is privilege it would be reasonable to believe that there are different kinds of privilege. It wouldn't even make sense to say "I am privileged". Someone would reasonably asking you "In what way are you privileged?" If that I so, it'd be reasonable to believe there is also racial privilege given the history of this country (even abstracting away all present day evidence).

Then all of the rich minorities will have to give up their wealth to underpriveleged minorities and go as* broke to fulfill your bullsh*t and mythical paradigm. I'll bet that never fuc*ing happens. Even "priveleged" blacks and hispanics hold it thight with both hands. Perhaps one of these "white priveleged" liberals will give their spot over to an "underpriveleged" minority. It'll never happen. You know why? White liberals are the biggest racists on Earth practicing full blown plantstion politics. They don't believe minorities are equal, so they talk about helping them(but never do), and scream "white privelege(but never give it up), and race bait to win elections.(then they get in office and say,"well, that's not reality" as to why theycan't give you all that bullsh*t they promised)

I'm a minority who did just fine on my own. If you want to use "white privelege" as an excuse to pretend your brown or black skin caused you to have no success, Hillary wins and you stay out in the fields where she convinced you that you belong and will never rise above.

popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 2:58:52 PM
At 8/9/2016 2:50:51 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Then all of the rich minorities will have to give up their wealth to underpriveleged minorities and go as* broke to fulfill your bullsh*t and mythical paradigm. I'll bet that never fuc*ing happens. Even "priveleged" blacks and hispanics hold it thight with both hands. Perhaps one of these "white priveleged" liberals will give their spot over to an "underpriveleged" minority. It'll never happen. You know why? White liberals are the biggest racists on Earth practicing full blown plantstion politics. They don't believe minorities are equal, so they talk about helping them(but never do), and scream "white privelege(but never give it up), and race bait to win elections.(then they get in office and say,"well, that's not reality" as to why theycan't give you all that bullsh*t they promised)

That's a cool story and all but that doesn't address my argument against your "there is only privilege" assertion.

I'm a minority who did just fine on my own.

Good for you.

If you want to use "white privelege" as an excuse to pretend your brown or black skin caused you to have no success,

I'm doing pretty well for myself considering where I came from.

Hillary wins and you stay out in the fields where she convinced you that you belong and will never rise above.

So again....what does that have to do with what I said? I don't care for Hillary at all.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 3:10:37 PM
At 8/9/2016 2:58:52 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

That's a cool story and all but that doesn't address my argument against your "there is only privilege" assertion.

Good for you.

If you want to use "white privelege" as an excuse to pretend your brown or black skin caused you to have no success,

Hillary wins and you stay out in the fields where she convinced you that you belong and will never rise above.

So again....what does that have to do with what I said? I don't care for Hillary at all.

There is only privelege. What kind of privelege is Barack Obama working with right now?

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 3:16:01 PM

Again, transgressions of past =/= present issue

This is the only one I've read through that I'm bothered by.

That's not racial privilege.

Those studies are flawed in their representation. They only give the end result (and even the studies sometimes have questionable inclusions for results). Ultimately, for that picture to be properly painted those studies must evaluate judicial cases from the start - not just their finish - though I imagine that may be easier said than done, it is necessary to definitively establish a link between racial privilege and our judicial system.

That said, I buy that whites get shorter sentences - but I argue that is - at least usually - for reasons aside from race.

See your DEA link.

That's not a racial disparity - that's a side effect of the bullsh!t drug schedules and a matter of access to both drugs along racial lines.

Not America.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 3:24:08 PM
At 8/9/2016 3:10:37 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Good for you.

There is only privelege. What kind of privelege is Barack Obama working with right now?

Well, being wealthy is one... Being a person with tremendous social and political power is another...
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 3:48:18 PM
Not only do police look to low income neighborhoods for drug offenders (evidence for economic, not racial privilege), they're even driven by profit - and profit brings the expansion of their power.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...

Byrne grants are especially critical to the operations of inter-agency drug task forces, which don't have the same dedicated funding sources as municipal police departments. In 2012, 23 such task forces in Minnesota received a total of approximately $4.2 million from Byrne grants. The money is spent on everything from military-grade hardware to officer overtime.

Critics contend that Byrne grants effectively encourage police to pursue relatively low-level drug offenses, including marijuana possession. Mainly, they say, that's because the performance measures used in determining awards are based on such factors as numbers of arrests or new task force investigations, with little regard paid to the quality of the arrest or the outcome of the court case.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Robkwoods
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 3:48:57 PM

No, white privilege does not exist. Privilege does exist and it does tend to breakdown along racial lines. This does not mean that because you are white you are privileged, only that if you are privileged you probably going to be Asian. The only privilege that exist is class privilege, as throughout all of time. The great thing about the US and Free Market is that your start doesn't have to be your end; in the past this was not the case.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 3:57:03 PM
At 8/9/2016 3:24:08 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 8/9/2016 3:10:37 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Good for you.

Well, being wealthy is one... Being a person with tremendous social and political power is another...

Want me to ask Michael Jordan how much he's got going on? Looked like he dunked all over white people, was the best player in history(according to white people), and wouldn't trade places financially with any white man. Is he fuc*ing magic, or what's happening there?

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 3:58:16 PM
Speaking of Magic. His black as* somehow magically jumped white privelege too. Maybe he really was Magic...