Jump to topic:

Baltimore DOJ Report

popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 7:05:54 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
...so when can we call this problem systemic and not just pockets of isolation?

http://www.baltimoresun.com...

"The investigators found that "supervisors have issued explicitly discriminatory orders, such as directing a shift to arrest 'all the black hoodies' in a neighborhood."

They also found that black residents were more likely to be stopped and searched as pedestrians and drivers even though police were more likely to find illegal guns, illicit drugs and other contraband on white residents.

Police practices in Baltimore "perpetuate and fuel a multitude of issues rooted in poverty and race, focusing law enforcement actions on low-income, minority communities" and encourage officers to have "unnecessary, adversarial interactions with community members," the report said.

Among the Justice Department findings: Baltimore police too often stopped, frisked and arrested residents without legal justification, and such activities fell disproportionately on black residents.

The report noted that officers recorded more than 300,000 pedestrian stops from January 2010 to May 2015. Roughly 44 percent were made in two small, predominantly African-American districts that contain 11 percent of the city's population, and seven black men were stopped more than 30 times each.

Black pedestrians were 37 percent more likely to be searched by Baltimore police citywide and 23 percent more likely to be searched during vehicle stops. But officers found contraband twice as often when searching white residents during vehicle stops and 50 percent more often during pedestrian stops, the report notes.

The report also found that Baltimore police routinely misclassified citizen complaints about racial slurs used by officers.

In six years of data on citizen complaints, only one complaint was classified as a racial slur. "This is implausible," the federal investigators found, and so they went back to the complaints and searched for keywords, including racial slurs against blacks.

They found 60 additional complaints that alleged Baltimore officers "used just one racial slur " 'n----r' " but all of these complaints were misclassified as a lesser offense," the report found..."
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 7:45:56 PM
I have close to zero respect for police officers at this point. If their leadership is arresting every "black hoodie" then they deserve to get shot. It's the only way for the black community to protect themselves and make sure donut eaters are held accountable for murder.
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 9:07:40 PM
At 8/10/2016 7:45:56 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
I have close to zero respect for police officers at this point. If their leadership is arresting every "black hoodie" then they deserve to get shot. It's the only way for the black community to protect themselves and make sure donut eaters are held accountable for murder.

No one, repeat no one deserves to get shot, and the people who have done something wrong absolutely deserve to be held accountable for their actions.

And this is the problem. There is a massive amount of discrimination and racial inequality; and I absolutely guarantee that if it was, say, republicans communities being targeted we would see a massive difference in response.

People have a right to be furiously angry about this, about the treatment of race, but the problem we have, is that we have a group of people on the right who are doing their utmost to dismiss peoples anger, and live in a fantasyland of utter denial that there isn't really a problem.

While I understand that anger, and understand where you're coming from, these people, many of which are actually in charge of setting the media narrative on the right are doing everything they can to utterly dismiss peoples concerns by changing the nature of the conservation away from how horrendously people are being treated, and what the real source of anger actually is, to dismiss you because of what you're saying.

This paints a narrative where one side paints the other as simply liberal no-gooders who don't care about the lives of cops, and don't really have valid concerns, instead of being able to deal with the fact that a massive number of people are incredibly angry about the way they are treated. Indeed, I suspect this conversation will become about your comments, and no one will talk about just how shockingly the police department behaved.

Language, actions and behaviors, however understandable, that makes the people you are angry for being hostile to you more hostile to you is not a solution.
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 9:29:04 PM

Let me get this straight. Liberals want to restrict gun rights and keep civilians from getting them, citing that we have law enforcement to protect us.

Then they say that law enforcement is evil, and they should get shot.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 9:31:43 PM
At 8/10/2016 9:07:40 PM, Ramshutu wrote:

No one, repeat no one deserves to get shot, and the people who have done something wrong absolutely deserve to be held accountable for their actions.
Ok maybe "deserve" is the wrong word.
And this is the problem. There is a massive amount of discrimination and racial inequality; and I absolutely guarantee that if it was, say, republicans communities being targeted we would see a massive difference in response.

People have a right to be furiously angry about this, about the treatment of race, but the problem we have, is that we have a group of people on the right who are doing their utmost to dismiss peoples anger, and live in a fantasyland of utter denial that there isn't really a problem.

While I understand that anger, and understand where you're coming from, these people, many of which are actually in charge of setting the media narrative on the right are doing everything they can to utterly dismiss peoples concerns by changing the nature of the conservation away from how horrendously people are being treated, and what the real source of anger actually is, to dismiss you because of what you're saying.

This paints a narrative where one side paints the other as simply liberal no-gooders who don't care about the lives of cops, and don't really have valid concerns, instead of being able to deal with the fact that a massive number of people are incredibly angry about the way they are treated. Indeed, I suspect this conversation will become about your comments, and no one will talk about just how shockingly the police department behaved.

Language, actions and behaviors, however understandable, that makes the people you are angry for being hostile to you more hostile to you is not a solution.

Maybe so, but simply letting policemen gun down unarmed civilians is not a solution either. If I were faced with the choice, I'd choose to defend myself. I wish we could reform the policing institution but I fear the racism is too deeply ingrained at this point.
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 9:34:25 PM
At 8/10/2016 9:29:04 PM, tajshar2k wrote:

Let me get this straight. Liberals want to restrict gun rights and keep civilians from getting them, citing that we have law enforcement to protect us.

I don't think anybody except the US military should have access to most guns. The only exception should be hunting rifles and shotguns (heavily regulated and tracked) and one handgun exclusively for home defense (also heavily regulated and tracked).

There's no reason why most cops should carry guns. The exception could be a handgun in their glove compartment, to be used only after a suspect is seen with a gun of their own.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 9:43:05 PM
At 8/10/2016 9:34:25 PM, ford_prefect wrote:

I don't think anybody except the US military should have access to most guns. The only exception should be hunting rifles and shotguns (heavily regulated and tracked) and one handgun exclusively for home defense (also heavily regulated and tracked).

There's no reason why most cops should carry guns. The exception could be a handgun in their glove compartment, to be used only after a suspect is seen with a gun of their own.

How do you feel about police no-go zones to protect black communities from the police?
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 9:57:23 PM

I don't want to waste my time arguing this, so let's agree to disagree.

First sentence is directly contradicting your second one.

They definitely should carry guns because people like you are endorsing for them to be murdered.
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 10:22:02 PM
At 8/10/2016 9:43:05 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

How do you feel about police no-go zones to protect black communities from the police?

Do you agree there is a problem with Racism in the police in Baltimore, and in other locations throughout the country?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 10:28:31 PM
At 8/10/2016 10:22:02 PM, Ramshutu wrote:

Do you agree there is a problem with Racism in the police in Baltimore, and in other locations throughout the country?

I think a few police are racist, I think others feel justified using their discretion from past experience with different cultures.

Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 10:32:37 PM
At 8/10/2016 10:28:31 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

I think a few police are racist, I think others feel justified using their discretion from past experience with different cultures.

So would you agree that Black people get unfairly treated by police in baltimore, and other locations.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 10:39:08 PM
At 8/10/2016 10:32:37 PM, Ramshutu wrote:

So would you agree that Black
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 10:45:00 PM
At 8/10/2016 10:39:08 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

We have a report about endemic racism in a police department, and you refuse to say where there is a problem with racism, or racial discrimination in that police department.

Why not? What harm does it do actually acknowledging that there is a problem; even though every report, every piece of evidence we have seems to indicate that we have a major problem, and while you may not like how people act as a result, or how people express their anger; that anger is real and probably justified.

I have no clue why people like you seem to do everything in your power to deny that there is any sort of problem. I just can't comprehend either the motivation or justification.

Is it because black people vote democrat, and you have to paint democrats as evil, disobedient anti-establishment lunatics, and actually acknowledging reality: that there is significant reasons for many black people to be angry at the police doesn't fit into that narrative?

The answer to your question, btw is "sounds stupid, but I have no real clue what you're talking about".
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 10:48:23 PM
At 8/10/2016 10:45:00 PM, Ramshutu wrote:

The answer to your question, btw is "sounds stupid, but I have no real clue what you're talking about".

Great, now that I'm convinced you are not a robot and actually are reading the questions, sure it "sounds" stupid. (It might even sound funny when spoken with a lungful of helium)

You can't really expect me to believe you don't have a clue. Don't pretend to be a fool. Trump does that better than you.
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 10:51:43 PM
At 8/10/2016 10:48:23 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Great, now that I'm convinced you are not a robot and actually are reading the questions, sure it "sounds" stupid. (It might even sound funny when spoken with a lungful of helium)

You can't really expect me to believe you don't have a clue. Don't pretend to be a fool. Trump does that better than you.

Why are you refusing to acknowledge that a department of justice report says what it says?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 11:03:04 PM
At 8/10/2016 10:51:43 PM, Ramshutu wrote:

Why are you refusing to acknowledge that a department of justice report says what it says?

Why would you throw out such a ridiculously transparent statement like "I have no clue"

You do have a clue, you just don't want to share it.

You know exactly how you feel about the possibility of police no-go zones proposed by the Black community to protect the Black community from intrusive over policing.
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 11:04:20 PM
At 8/10/2016 11:03:04 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 8/10/2016 10:51:43 PM, Ramshutu wrote:

Why would you throw out such a ridiculously transparent statement like "I have no clue"

You do have a clue, you just don't want to share it.

You know exactly how you feel about the possibility of police no-go zones proposed by the Black community to protect the Black community from intrusive over policing.

I feel you're using it so you don't have to acknowledge there is actually a problem.

Tell me, do you feel that black lives matter?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 11:05:18 PM
At 8/10/2016 11:04:20 PM, Ramshutu wrote:

Just admit you don't want to share how you feel about it.
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 11:10:35 PM
At 8/10/2016 11:05:18 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 8/10/2016 11:04:20 PM, Ramshutu wrote:

Just admit you don't want to share how you feel about it.

I did share how I feel about it.

What it actually shows, is there is a massive distrust of police, don't you think. A community not wanting police there shows that people are genuinely afraid of people who are supposed to be protecting them, don't you think?

And with this report, don't you therefore think that there is a justified reason for black communities to feel like that?

It's not the solution; the solution is for racial discrimination to be eradicated from the police force.

Don't you agree?

Do you not agree that this report shows that there is significant racial discrimination going on in the police in baltimore, and other evidence and examples shows it goes on in many different places?

Do you not agree that these all culminate in incredible levels of anger that people are being mistreated and that the anger is legitimate?

Do you not agree that when people say they don't want the police to come in, it maybe because they're afraid of the police?

Seriously.

There is a race problem in the US. There is significant discrimination going on throughout the country.

Why can't you agree with it, even though statistics show it and reports show it?

For what possible motivation can you not even simply admit that, while you may not agree with peoples behaviors, there is a problem that is making people angry?
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 11:12:32 PM
At 8/10/2016 10:28:31 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Stormfront...So you feel based on "past experiences" and the fact that police officers swore an oath to protect the public, its justified to have discriminatory tactics?

In other words when a Muslim physician is treating a white patient who he, the physician may have had issus with this particular demographic in the past based on both religious and cultural injustice its ok to give shitty treatment?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 11:15:06 PM
At 8/10/2016 11:12:32 PM, Hiu wrote:

Stormfront...So you feel based on "past experiences" and the fact that police officers swore an oath to protect the public, its justified to have discriminatory tactics?

In other words when a Muslim physician is treating a white patient who he, the physician may have had issus with this particular demographic in the past based on both religious and cultural injustice its ok to give shitty treatment?

So you believe police are Stormfront and that you agree that the Black community should have less intrusion of police?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 11:17:40 PM
At 8/10/2016 11:12:32 PM, Hiu wrote:

I believe if a Muslim physician is treating a White actor that makes millions of dollars that he should not be strung up before a PC jury of his SJW peers for asking him if he is careful about his heroin usage.
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 11:59:38 PM

I'd like to see a police no-go zone across America until they learn not to shoot unarmed civilians, black white brown or otherwise. We can form local neighborhood watches to combat crime.
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 12:03:35 AM
At 8/10/2016 9:57:23 PM, tajshar2k wrote:

No it's not. Cops should not carry a gun on their person, usually. The only time they should take their gun out of their glove compartment is if they see an active shooter situation.
They definitely should carry guns because people like you are endorsing for them to be murdered.

Please, tell me all about how those Dallas cops saved themselves by carrying guns. They had to call in an explosive drone to kill that guy. Anyway I'm not endorsing them to be murdered. I'm saying if they can't stop themselves from murdering innocent unarmed people, they shouldn't be surprised when people retaliate against them.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 12:03:57 AM
At 8/10/2016 11:59:38 PM, ford_prefect wrote:

I'd like to see a police no-go zone across America until they learn not to shoot unarmed civilians, black white brown or otherwise. We can form local neighborhood watches to combat crime.

I agree.
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 12:13:38 AM
At 8/11/2016 12:03:57 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

I agree.

well that's probably a first! lol
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 12:15:46 AM
At 8/11/2016 12:13:38 AM, ford_prefect wrote:
At 8/11/2016 12:03:57 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

I agree.

well that's probably a first! lol

Heh, I know right?
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 12:32:09 AM
At 8/11/2016 12:03:35 AM, ford_prefect wrote:

No it's not. Cops should not carry a gun on their person, usually. The only time they should take their gun out of their glove compartment is if they see an active shooter situation.

Now you have you clarified that you meant on person... I'll address this.

Cops are always in situations where guys will pull out a gun from their waistband. I have seen footage of this happening all the time. To expect them to just keep in their car is dumb. Do you expect them to run back to their car, and grab it? They would have been gunned down by then.

Please, tell me all about how those Dallas cops saved themselves by carrying guns. They had to call in an explosive drone to kill that guy. Anyway I'm not endorsing them to be murdered. I'm saying if they can't stop themselves from murdering innocent unarmed people, they shouldn't be surprised when people retaliate against them.

You clearly said "they deserve to get shot". Now you are backtracking on that because you realized you made an idiotic comment.

The sad part is that I agree with you on police brutality. But you are advocating for further violence with police, which is truly pathetic.
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 12:50:14 AM
At 8/11/2016 12:32:09 AM, tajshar2k wrote:
At 8/11/2016 12:03:35 AM, ford_prefect wrote:

Now you have you clarified that you meant on person... I'll address this.

Cops are always in situations where guys will pull out a gun from their waistband. I have seen footage of this happening all the time. To expect them to just keep in their car is dumb. Do you expect them to run back to their car, and grab it? They would have been gunned down by then.

You clearly said "they deserve to get shot". Now you are backtracking on that because you realized you made an idiotic comment.

The sad part is that I agree with you on police brutality. But you are advocating for further violence with police, which is truly pathetic.

Have you ever heard of a 'sh!t house lawyer'? You are trying to reason with the police version of same.
When I respond with "OK" don't take it personally. I'm simply being appropriately dismissive.