Texas is Planning to Execute an Innocent Man

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 9:31:26 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
https://www.washingtonpost.com...

The scheduled execution is Wood"s punishment for the 1996 death of a man he did not kill " and, by some accounts, did not know was going to be killed.

Wood was convicted and sentenced to death under what"s called the law of parties, which has been in effect in Texas since the 1970s. It states that a person who "solicits, encourages, directs, aids, or attempts to aid the other person to commit an offense" is also criminally liable for that offense.

Jeff Wood (Courtesy of Terri Been Jeffery Lee Wood (Courtesy of Terri Been)
Under the law, prosecutors are not required to prove that a defendant had any part in committing a crime, or even intended to commit it. Jurors only need to find that there was a plan to commit a crime and that the defendant should have anticipated that the crime would occur.

In Wood"s case, he was sitting in a pickup outside a Texaco convenience store in Kerrville, Tex., in January 1996, when Daniel Reneau went inside and shot and killed the store clerk with a .22-caliber handgun.

Wood"s supporters say he was under the impression that Reneau, a drifter he had met months earlier, was only going to buy food and drinks.

But they also agree that Wood is not completely innocent.

Court records say he was involved in a scheme with Reneau and the store"s assistant manager to steal a safe that they believed contained thousands of dollars. While the others had backed out, Reneau took it upon himself to steal the safe, court records say.

Based on testimony from Wood"s then-girlfriend, he asked Reneau to not bring his gun before the two drove to the convenience store that day. Reneau did anyway, without Wood"s knowledge.

Wood"s attorney, Jared Tyler, said his client could not have anticipated the death of the clerk, Kris Keeran, and was unfairly held responsible for Reneau"s actions and decisions.

Both men were convicted of capital murder. Reneau was put to death in 2002.

Wood has been on death row since 1998, when his daughter, Paige Rowan, was a toddler.

If executed this month, Wood will be the "least culpable person executed in the modern era of death penalty," said Scott Cobb, president of Texas Moratorium Network, a group that advocates against capital punishment.

Tyler has filed a writ of habeas corpus " used to review the legality of someone"s imprisonment " asking the state"s highest court for a new sentencing hearing for Wood, saying punishment should be proportional to culpability.

Wood"s death sentence, Tyler said, was based on "false and misleading" testimony from a psychiatrist who did not personally examine his client.

Bruce Curry, the Kerr County district attorney whose office prosecuted Wood"s case, said he could not comment because of the pending court decision. A spokeswoman for the Texas Attorney General"s Office, which is handling the case, also declined to comment.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 9:32:57 PM
Reading this made me want to vomit. It disgusts me that any lawyer could be involved in prosecuting this man and seeking the death penalty for this case.
Tsar of DDO
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 9:51:00 PM
At 8/14/2016 9:32:57 PM, YYW wrote:
Reading this made me want to vomit. It disgusts me that any lawyer could be involved in prosecuting this man and seeking the death penalty for this case.

The death penalty generally makes me vomit. When looked back on, it will seem just lunacy we kept it so long.
ThinkBig
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 10:07:15 PM
This is why we need a full repeal of the death penalty.
ThinkBig
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Notable Notes and Quotable Quotes
"I GOT SIG'D"
"WELL FVCK ME IN THE A$SHOLE AND CALL ME A CUCK I GOT SIG'D AGAIN"
-Kiri
If anyone's getting modkilled, it's kiri. Just for his sig.
-7th
Need a judge or vote? Nominate me!!
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 10:09:04 PM
At 8/14/2016 9:31:26 PM, YYW wrote:

The scheduled execution is Wood"s punishment for the 1996 death of a man he did not kill " and, by some accounts, did not know was going to be killed.

Wood was convicted and sentenced to death under what"s called the law of parties, which has been in effect in Texas since the 1970s. It states that a person who "solicits, encourages, directs, aids, or attempts to aid the other person to commit an offense" is also criminally liable for that offense.

Under the law, prosecutors are not required to prove that a defendant had any part in committing a crime, or even intended to commit it. Jurors only need to find that there was a plan to commit a crime and that the defendant should have anticipated that the crime would occur.

In Wood"s case, he was sitting in a pickup outside a Texaco convenience store in Kerrville, Tex., in January 1996, when Daniel Reneau went inside and shot and killed the store clerk with a .22-caliber handgun.

Wood"s supporters say he was under the impression that Reneau, a drifter he had met months earlier, was only going to buy food and drinks.

Court records say he was involved in a scheme with Reneau and the store"s assistant manager to steal a safe that they believed contained thousands of dollars. While the others had backed out, Reneau took it upon himself to steal the safe, court records say.

Based on testimony from Wood"s then-girlfriend, he asked Reneau to not bring his gun before the two drove to the convenience store that day. Reneau did anyway, without Wood"s knowledge.

Wood"s attorney, Jared Tyler, said his client could not have anticipated the death of the clerk, Kris Keeran, and was unfairly held responsible for Reneau"s actions and decisions.

Wood has been on death row since 1998, when his daughter, Paige Rowan, was a toddler.

If executed this month, Wood will be the "least culpable person executed in the modern era of death penalty," said Scott Cobb, president of Texas Moratorium Network, a group that advocates against capital punishment.

Tyler has filed a writ of habeas corpus " used to review the legality of someone"s imprisonment " asking the state"s highest court for a new sentencing hearing for Wood, saying punishment should be proportional to culpability.

Wood"s death sentence, Tyler said, was based on "false and misleading" testimony from a psychiatrist who did not personally examine his client.

Bruce Curry, the Kerr County district attorney whose office prosecuted Wood"s case, said he could not comment because of the pending court decision. A spokeswoman for the Texas Attorney General"s Office, which is handling the case, also declined to comment.

Absolutely disgusting. I fail to understand how this could happen in this day and age. Some parts of America are backwards as fuuck.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 10:40:17 PM
At 8/14/2016 10:07:15 PM, ThinkBig wrote:
This is why we need a full repeal of the death penalty.

Indeed.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 1:21:24 AM
At 8/15/2016 1:17:42 AM, Death23 wrote:
I'm having a hard time accepting that he was innocent given that a jury found him guilty.

http://cdn.universalfreepress.com...
Tsar of DDO
Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 1:37:59 AM
At 8/15/2016 1:21:24 AM, YYW wrote:
I'm having a hard time accepting that he was innocent given that a jury found him guilty.

http://i.imgur.com...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 1:39:45 AM
At 8/15/2016 1:37:59 AM, Death23 wrote:

hahaha I love it
Tsar of DDO
Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 1:42:56 AM
At 8/15/2016 1:39:45 AM, YYW wrote:

hahaha I love it

You can save it for later.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 1:45:38 AM
At 8/15/2016 1:42:56 AM, Death23 wrote:
At 8/15/2016 1:39:45 AM, YYW wrote:

hahaha I love it

You can save it for later.

No need for it.
Tsar of DDO
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 11:55:50 AM
At 8/14/2016 9:32:57 PM, YYW wrote:

Even with Texas's stupid law of killing people who never killed anybody, this guy shouldn't even be killed with that law in place. He clearly was mental and had issues, he probably was exploited by the guy who actually committed the murder. If anything, all he deserves is a short term imprisonment sentence.

The Texas state government needs to be dealt with by the national government, and this guy should be let off. This is literally the stupidest conviction in the US that I've heard.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 2:40:49 PM
The death penalty is a despicable abuse of the power of a state.

I hate how conservatives complain about "too much bureaucracy" but are perfectly happy to give the state the power to take life.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 3:31:52 PM

They execute men, women, elderly and children in the Middle East all the time while the West turns its head like nothing ever happened.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 6:12:32 PM
At 8/15/2016 3:31:52 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

They execute men, women, elderly and children in the Middle East all the time while the West turns its head like nothing ever happened.

Indeed that is regretfully correct. Iran recently hung a teenage boy in the street because he was gay.
Tsar of DDO
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 6:23:48 PM

We aren't ignoring the issue in the ME by pointing out the problem right here in Texas. What don't you get this time brondo?
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 6:28:01 PM
At 8/15/2016 6:23:48 PM, TBR wrote:

We aren't ignoring the issue in the ME by pointing out the problem right here in Texas. What don't you get this time brondo?

Sure you are. Your candidate deep throats theMMiddle East every chance she gets. That makes her?

Anti lgbt.

Anti feminism

Anti American

Anti you...

You stupid fuc*ing bastard sheep...baaaa... baaaa...baaaaaaaaaa....
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 6:33:35 PM
At 8/15/2016 6:28:01 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Sure you are. Your candidate deep throats theMMiddle East every chance she gets. That makes her?

Anti lgbt.

Anti feminism

Anti American

Anti you...

Brondo, the conversation at-hand is just way outside of your wheelhouse. Go talk about cock and balls elsewhere, you are in over your head.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 6:41:07 PM
At 8/15/2016 6:33:35 PM, TBR wrote:

Anti lgbt.

Anti feminism

Anti American

Anti you...

Brondo, the conversation at-hand is just way outside of your wheelhouse. Go talk about cock and balls elsewhere, you are in over your head.

Name one thing Hillary has accomplished besides murdering Libyians, overthrowing our allies, tajing money from foreign oligarchs, covering up her husband's 10,000 sex scandals, assassinating Americans via drone without due proccess, assassinating dnc 5 members, and being unable to protect classified information...you are dumb mother fuc*ers.

Hillary:Stay in the ship! It's sinking and has a bomb in it!

TBR:baaaaaa
...baaaaa...baaaaa.yes maam....baaaaaa....baaaaa...baaaaaaaaaaaa

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 6:43:28 PM
At 8/15/2016 6:41:07 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Anti lgbt.

Anti feminism

Anti American

Anti you...

Name one thing Hillary has accomplished besides murdering Libyians, overthrowing our allies, tajing money from foreign oligarchs, covering up her husband's 10,000 sex scandals, assassinating Americans via drone without due proccess, assassinating dnc 5 members, and being unable to protect classified information...you are dumb mother fuc*ers.

Hillary:Stay in the ship! It's sinking and has a bomb in it!

TBR:baaaaaa
...baaaaa...baaaaa.yes maam....baaaaaa....baaaaa...baaaaaaaaaaaa

Tell me how any of this has anything to do with the death penitently and Texas? Can you try to understand that we are talking about an actual subject, not just the insanity that occupies your brain every waking second of the day?
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 6:43:59 PM

Anti lgbt.

Anti feminism

Anti American

Anti you...

Hillary Clinton: And the award for most gullible naive dipsh*t goes to?????

TBR!!!!! Awwwww...I couldn't have done it without my mindless, non self thinking lamb bit*h TBR!

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 6:47:34 PM
Hillary Clinton vs TBR

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 6:51:06 PM
At 8/15/2016 6:47:34 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Hillary Clinton vs TBR

I am just going to start alerting on all these. You seem to have no ability to stay on subject. You are just a terrible user in every respect.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 6:52:51 PM
At 8/15/2016 6:51:06 PM, TBR wrote:
Hillary Clinton vs TBR

I am just going to start alerting on all these. You seem to have no ability to stay on subject. You are just a terrible user in every respect.

Oh? Let's check it out....

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 6:53:38 PM
Hillary Clinton vs TBR

Hillary Clinton vs Desmac

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 6:56:33 PM
At 8/15/2016 6:52:51 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Hillary Clinton vs TBR

Check out what Brondo? Your inability to understand the topic of the thread? Sure. You are way off the topic.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 7:00:33 PM
At 8/15/2016 6:56:33 PM, TBR wrote:
I: : At 8/15/2016 6:52:51 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Hillary Clinton vs TBR

Check out what Brondo? Your inability to understand the topic of the thread? Sure. You are way off the topic.

Hillary executes innocent men all the time including members of the dnc....happy you fuc*ing sheep?