Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

What could have Trump done instead in Crimea?

Roukezian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 9:23:49 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
Trump recently blamed Obama for his stance on Crimea (which is unfair given the political fiasco of Georgia at Republican Bush's time), but what could Trump possibly have done if he was in Obama's place? The Russians took over with minimal effort and had the people's support there and the land is Russian (taken from the Ottomans). It was Ukraine that historically stole it after the Soviet Union (if I'm not mistaken).
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 9:37:57 PM
At 8/15/2016 9:23:49 PM, Roukezian wrote:
Trump recently blamed Obama for his stance on Crimea (which is unfair given the political fiasco of Georgia at Republican Bush's time), but what could Trump possibly have done if he was in Obama's place? The Russians took over with minimal effort and had the people's support there and the land is Russian (taken from the Ottomans). It was Ukraine that historically stole it after the Soviet Union (if I'm not mistaken).

Well, he would have tweeted mean things, right? That and shouted stupid slogans.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 10:10:06 PM

Precisely nothing. He has no foreign policy insight ... he criticizes from afar and then belches out various cockamamie solutions, half of which are already core components of U.S. policy, and half of which are simplistic, ineffective, or illegal.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 10:16:11 PM
At 8/15/2016 10:10:06 PM, 000ike wrote:

Precisely nothing. He has no foreign policy insight ... he criticizes from afar and then belches out various cockamamie solutions, half of which are already core components of U.S. policy, and half of which are simplistic, ineffective, or illegal.

Just get tough, right? Make a "better deal". With who, or how, all trivial details.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 2:22:01 AM

You realize Trump wants to be friends with Putin? Trump would have not less than Obama did.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 4:21:23 PM

I'm not certain where you got that Ukraine stole Crimea, but it was moved to be part of Ukraine jurisdiction in the 50's To my knowledge Trump does not recognize the breach of treaty between Ukraine and Russia, thus he would have done nothing, not even sanctions upon Putin's cronies.