Total Posts:3|Showing Posts:1-3
Jump to topic:

Is Bear Bryant the greatest white southerner?

KendoRe2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 6:09:29 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
He is obviously sports royalty and still holds the record for most national titles won in CFB, but he also went against George Wallace and integrated the Alabama football team. Many schools had all ready integrated but Alabama was a difficult place to do that. He took a loss vs USC on the chin to show Alabama that they needed black players, and then started them the very next season. His former black players revere him to this day.

There is also an old story that in his later years he kept a room for a homeless black man and paid that poor black man's way to live. Many say that is because Bryant was poor himself growing up and related with the man.

He did more for black people than any white southerner i know of, because he had the platform to do it.
KendoRe2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 6:33:51 AM
Just speaking of his effect on black men in Alabama. Whatever reason he did it, he did do it during the civil rights era. I don't know what more he could have done
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 4:19:47 PM
At 8/16/2016 6:09:29 AM, KendoRe2 wrote:
He is obviously sports royalty and still holds the record for most national titles won in CFB, but he also went against George Wallace and integrated the Alabama football team. Many schools had all ready integrated but Alabama was a difficult place to do that. He took a loss vs USC on the chin to show Alabama that they needed black players, and then started them the very next season. His former black players revere him to this day.

There is also an old story that in his later years he kept a room for a homeless black man and paid that poor black man's way to live. Many say that is because Bryant was poor himself growing up and related with the man.

He did more for black people than any white southerner i know of, because he had the platform to do it.

If he hadn't been a tide coach. ;-)
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...