Total Posts:140|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

"Arguments" that piss you off

1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 4:10:48 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
What are some "arguments" for positions that really piss you off? Here are some of my favorites:

Economic right on minimum wage: "get a decent job of you want more money."

Yeah, there are just so many new great jobs being created!

Social left: "It's 20(fill in two digit number)."

Just go fvck yourself.

Conservatives on gun control: "well criminals will just find a way to get them anyway."

So how's the war on drugs going for you? And why do you want to outlaw abortions - or anything, for that matter?

Alt-right on Muslim immigration: "they're more likely to be terrorists."

So you're going to make them hate us more? That'll be a surefire way to keep us safe from terrorist attacks.

Anyone who supports free trade: "Outsourcing lowers the prices on things in America."

And I like it when people actually have money to buy those things.

Conservatives on religious freedom: "(anything)"

Lol

(Actual) Racists on racist attitudes: "You're not tolerant of my beliefs."

I'm intolerant of intolerance? Okay.

Social leftists on opinions that are opposed to their view: "That's (insert negative word here)."

It's actually not. But why bother with logic?

Conservatives on college affordability: "Well if you don't like it, don't go."

Haha. Ha. Like that works.

"Well maybe you can work through college."

Sure. That hasn't been possible in 20 years, but I'll try to work 16 hours a day of the minimum wage to cover the costs - but, oh, that only covers tuition at not-even-every-school.

Blacks and SJWs on racism: "Whites are racist, but blacks can't be racist."

Oh really now?
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
triangle.128k
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 4:14:25 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/17/2016 4:10:48 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
"Well maybe you can work through college."

Sure. That hasn't been possible in 20 years, but I'll try to work 16 hours a day of the minimum wage to cover the costs - but, oh, that only covers tuition at not-even-every-school.

invest your spare student loans
triangle.128k
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 4:15:33 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Any argument a neo-conservative makes on foreign policy
Any argument a socialist makes on income inequality

(too lazy to think of more right now)
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 4:15:42 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/17/2016 4:10:48 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
What are some "arguments" for positions that really piss you off? Here are some of my favorites:

Economic right on minimum wage: "get a decent job of you want more money."

Yeah, there are just so many new great jobs being created!

Social left: "It's 20(fill in two digit number)."

Just go fvck yourself.

Conservatives on gun control: "well criminals will just find a way to get them anyway."

So how's the war on drugs going for you? And why do you want to outlaw abortions - or anything, for that matter?

Alt-right on Muslim immigration: "they're more likely to be terrorists."

So you're going to make them hate us more? That'll be a surefire way to keep us safe from terrorist attacks.

Anyone who supports free trade: "Outsourcing lowers the prices on things in America."

And I like it when people actually have money to buy those things.

Conservatives on religious freedom: "(anything)"

Lol

(Actual) Racists on racist attitudes: "You're not tolerant of my beliefs."

I'm intolerant of intolerance? Okay.

Social leftists on opinions that are opposed to their view: "That's (insert negative word here)."

It's actually not. But why bother with logic?

Conservatives on college affordability: "Well if you don't like it, don't go."

Haha. Ha. Like that works.

"Well maybe you can work through college."

Sure. That hasn't been possible in 20 years, but I'll try to work 16 hours a day of the minimum wage to cover the costs - but, oh, that only covers tuition at not-even-every-school.

Blacks and SJWs on racism: "Whites are racist, but blacks can't be racist."

Oh really now?

Anyone: "I am objectively right and everyone who disagrees with me is both stupid and wrong."
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 4:15:49 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/17/2016 4:14:25 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:10:48 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
"Well maybe you can work through college."

Sure. That hasn't been possible in 20 years, but I'll try to work 16 hours a day of the minimum wage to cover the costs - but, oh, that only covers tuition at not-even-every-school.

invest your spare student loans

That sounds like a fantastically bad way to handle debt.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
triangle.128k
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 4:18:16 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/17/2016 4:15:49 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:14:25 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:10:48 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
"Well maybe you can work through college."

Sure. That hasn't been possible in 20 years, but I'll try to work 16 hours a day of the minimum wage to cover the costs - but, oh, that only covers tuition at not-even-every-school.

invest your spare student loans

That sounds like a fantastically bad way to handle debt.

No it isn't. If you invest spare student loan money right, then you'll end up with extra money in the long run.

It's risky but you could end up with less debt if you invest in the right things.
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 4:19:10 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/17/2016 4:18:16 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:15:49 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:14:25 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:10:48 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
"Well maybe you can work through college."

Sure. That hasn't been possible in 20 years, but I'll try to work 16 hours a day of the minimum wage to cover the costs - but, oh, that only covers tuition at not-even-every-school.

invest your spare student loans

That sounds like a fantastically bad way to handle debt.

No it isn't. If you invest spare student loan money right, then you'll end up with extra money in the long run.

It's risky but you could end up with less debt if you invest in the right things.

You just made the argument against yourself.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
triangle.128k
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 4:20:43 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/17/2016 4:19:10 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:18:16 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:15:49 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:14:25 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:10:48 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
"Well maybe you can work through college."

Sure. That hasn't been possible in 20 years, but I'll try to work 16 hours a day of the minimum wage to cover the costs - but, oh, that only covers tuition at not-even-every-school.

invest your spare student loans

That sounds like a fantastically bad way to handle debt.

No it isn't. If you invest spare student loan money right, then you'll end up with extra money in the long run.

It's risky but you could end up with less debt if you invest in the right things.

You just made the argument against yourself.

What argument, that it's risky? It's worth the risk for some you know...
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 4:24:54 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/17/2016 4:20:43 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:19:10 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:18:16 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:15:49 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:14:25 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:10:48 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
"Well maybe you can work through college."

Sure. That hasn't been possible in 20 years, but I'll try to work 16 hours a day of the minimum wage to cover the costs - but, oh, that only covers tuition at not-even-every-school.

invest your spare student loans

That sounds like a fantastically bad way to handle debt.

No it isn't. If you invest spare student loan money right, then you'll end up with extra money in the long run.

It's risky but you could end up with less debt if you invest in the right things.

You just made the argument against yourself.

What argument, that it's risky? It's worth the risk for some you know...

No. That might be the most fantastically stupid thing you can do to cover debt. Your pitch sounds like it had as much thought put into it as an oral presentation by a 10 year old kid with ADD that didn't take his adderall and spent 6 hours playing Call of Duty after getting home.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 4:27:12 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/17/2016 4:10:48 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
What are some "arguments" for positions that really piss you off? Here are some of my favorites:

Economic right on minimum wage: "get a decent job of you want more money."

Yeah, there are just so many new great jobs being created!

You can blame Obama on that. If kept up with population growth (which he increased by making it beneficial to pop out children and get more in benefits), then Obama didn't create any jobs to begin with.


Social left: "It's 20(fill in two digit number)."

Just go fvck yourself.

Conservatives on gun control: "well criminals will just find a way to get them anyway."

So how's the war on drugs going for you? And why do you want to outlaw abortions - or anything, for that matter?

Agreed, which is why we should end these gun control measures (or at least most of them) and end the war on drugs as well.


Alt-right on Muslim immigration: "they're more likely to be terrorists."

So you're going to make them hate us more? That'll be a surefire way to keep us safe from terrorist attacks.

Yeah, cause political hatred is enough to make rational people blow others up.


Anyone who supports free trade: "Outsourcing lowers the prices on things in America."

And I like it when people actually have money to buy those things.

Good, which is why you should support free trade. Prices fall when supply rises and competitiveness is exacerbated.


Conservatives on religious freedom: "(anything)"

Lol

Great response to an argument.


(Actual) Racists on racist attitudes: "You're not tolerant of my beliefs."

I'm intolerant of intolerance? Okay.

Correct, which thus makes you intolerant. The idea that total tolerance is good is a malignant and stupid idea.


Social leftists on opinions that are opposed to their view: "That's (insert negative word here)."

It's actually not. But why bother with logic?

Conservatives on college affordability: "Well if you don't like it, don't go."

Haha. Ha. Like that works.

Yeah, it does. The average income of individuals that learn a trade is far higher than the average income of moronic college students that get useless degrees.


"Well maybe you can work through college."

Sure. That hasn't been possible in 20 years, but I'll try to work 16 hours a day of the minimum wage to cover the costs - but, oh, that only covers tuition at not-even-every-school.

You can pay off your student loan in a substantial amount of time if you work a job while balancing education. It's not that difficult, just that budgeting is important.


Blacks and SJWs on racism: "Whites are racist, but blacks can't be racist."

Oh really now?
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 4:27:44 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/17/2016 4:15:42 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:10:48 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
What are some "arguments" for positions that really piss you off? Here are some of my favorites:

Economic right on minimum wage: "get a decent job of you want more money."

Yeah, there are just so many new great jobs being created!

Social left: "It's 20(fill in two digit number)."

Just go fvck yourself.

Conservatives on gun control: "well criminals will just find a way to get them anyway."

So how's the war on drugs going for you? And why do you want to outlaw abortions - or anything, for that matter?

Alt-right on Muslim immigration: "they're more likely to be terrorists."

So you're going to make them hate us more? That'll be a surefire way to keep us safe from terrorist attacks.

Anyone who supports free trade: "Outsourcing lowers the prices on things in America."

And I like it when people actually have money to buy those things.

Conservatives on religious freedom: "(anything)"

Lol

(Actual) Racists on racist attitudes: "You're not tolerant of my beliefs."

I'm intolerant of intolerance? Okay.

Social leftists on opinions that are opposed to their view: "That's (insert negative word here)."

It's actually not. But why bother with logic?

Conservatives on college affordability: "Well if you don't like it, don't go."

Haha. Ha. Like that works.

"Well maybe you can work through college."

Sure. That hasn't been possible in 20 years, but I'll try to work 16 hours a day of the minimum wage to cover the costs - but, oh, that only covers tuition at not-even-every-school.

Blacks and SJWs on racism: "Whites are racist, but blacks can't be racist."

Oh really now?

Anyone: "I am objectively right and everyone who disagrees with me is both stupid and wrong."

LOL YYW is not going to be happy about this missy
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
someloser
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 4:27:51 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Conservatives: "Democrats/liberals are the REAL racists!"
Useless rhetoric

"The problem with blacks is 'not enough free market'/'too much welfare'"
So detached from reality it may as well be North Korean propaganda.

"America is an idea"
^ lie

Cosmpolitans: "Nationalism/nativism is just xenophobia!"
... and?

"Immigration is a right!"
^ another lie

Basically every time something is called Islamophobic.

Warhawks/neocons: "It's important to protect Isra- the United States' interests in the region!"

"Israel is our closest ally!"

Nearly every time something is called anti-Semitic

White nationalists: "It's the brown people's fault!"

"America would be fine if it were all-white!"
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
triangle.128k
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 4:28:17 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/17/2016 4:24:54 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:20:43 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:19:10 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:18:16 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:15:49 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:14:25 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:10:48 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
"Well maybe you can work through college."

Sure. That hasn't been possible in 20 years, but I'll try to work 16 hours a day of the minimum wage to cover the costs - but, oh, that only covers tuition at not-even-every-school.

invest your spare student loans

That sounds like a fantastically bad way to handle debt.

No it isn't. If you invest spare student loan money right, then you'll end up with extra money in the long run.

It's risky but you could end up with less debt if you invest in the right things.

You just made the argument against yourself.

What argument, that it's risky? It's worth the risk for some you know...

No. That might be the most fantastically stupid thing you can do to cover debt.
It isn't if you end up with less debt by making money out of debt.

Your pitch sounds like it had as much thought put into it as an oral presentation by a 10 year old kid with ADD that didn't take his adderall and spent 6 hours playing Call of Duty after getting home.
What the f!ck is your problem?
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 4:28:27 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/17/2016 4:15:49 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:14:25 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:10:48 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
"Well maybe you can work through college."

Sure. That hasn't been possible in 20 years, but I'll try to work 16 hours a day of the minimum wage to cover the costs - but, oh, that only covers tuition at not-even-every-school.

invest your spare student loans

That sounds like a fantastically bad way to handle debt.

Well, you're not knowledgeable in finance, so you wouldn't understand the tactic. Keeping money in a savings account accumulates interest over time, so you are left with more.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 4:29:04 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/17/2016 4:19:10 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:18:16 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:15:49 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:14:25 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:10:48 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
"Well maybe you can work through college."

Sure. That hasn't been possible in 20 years, but I'll try to work 16 hours a day of the minimum wage to cover the costs - but, oh, that only covers tuition at not-even-every-school.

invest your spare student loans

That sounds like a fantastically bad way to handle debt.

No it isn't. If you invest spare student loan money right, then you'll end up with extra money in the long run.

It's risky but you could end up with less debt if you invest in the right things.

You just made the argument against yourself.

So you should never take risks?
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 4:31:40 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Retarded leftists:

Tax the rich!

You're a racist if you are anti Affirmative action!

You're a racist if you are anti welfare!

You're a racist if you wouldn't date people outside of your race! (Only applies to whites)

The cops are all racist!

Rich people just became rich because they were lucky, they didn't work at all!

We need more immigrants from Muslim countries!

We need to pay reparations for systematic injustices!

We need to fight extremism with love and kindness!

And many more...

I'm about to go to sleep soon so I wanted to save myself the brain aneurysm and not think about these idiotic arguments.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 4:32:20 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/17/2016 4:24:54 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:20:43 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:19:10 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:18:16 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:15:49 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:14:25 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:10:48 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
"Well maybe you can work through college."

Sure. That hasn't been possible in 20 years, but I'll try to work 16 hours a day of the minimum wage to cover the costs - but, oh, that only covers tuition at not-even-every-school.

invest your spare student loans

That sounds like a fantastically bad way to handle debt.

No it isn't. If you invest spare student loan money right, then you'll end up with extra money in the long run.

It's risky but you could end up with less debt if you invest in the right things.

You just made the argument against yourself.

What argument, that it's risky? It's worth the risk for some you know...

No. That might be the most fantastically stupid thing you can do to cover debt. Your pitch sounds like it had as much thought put into it as an oral presentation by a 10 year old kid with ADD that didn't take his adderall and spent 6 hours playing Call of Duty after getting home.

Like I said, savings accumulate interest over time.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 4:33:39 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/17/2016 4:27:12 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:10:48 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
What are some "arguments" for positions that really piss you off? Here are some of my favorites:

Economic right on minimum wage: "get a decent job of you want more money."

Yeah, there are just so many new great jobs being created!

You can blame Obama on that. If kept up with population growth (which he increased by making it beneficial to pop out children and get more in benefits), then Obama didn't create any jobs to begin with.

I'll blame each of the past 5 or so Presidents.

Social left: "It's 20(fill in two digit number)."

Just go fvck yourself.

Conservatives on gun control: "well criminals will just find a way to get them anyway."

So how's the war on drugs going for you? And why do you want to outlaw abortions - or anything, for that matter?

Agreed, which is why we should end these gun control measures (or at least most of them) and end the war on drugs as well.


Alt-right on Muslim immigration: "they're more likely to be terrorists."

So you're going to make them hate us more? That'll be a surefire way to keep us safe from terrorist attacks.

Yeah, cause political hatred is enough to make rational people blow others up.

If they're all rational, then there must be no reason to bar their entry from the country.

Anyone who supports free trade: "Outsourcing lowers the prices on things in America."

And I like it when people actually have money to buy those things.

Good, which is why you should support free trade. Prices fall when supply rises and competitiveness is exacerbated.

I actually like it when people have the jobs to pay for those prices.

Conservatives on religious freedom: "(anything)"

Lol

Great response to an argument.

They're not even arguments. It's just incoherent rambling that usually would violate the Constitution to actually put into policy.

(Actual) Racists on racist attitudes: "You're not tolerant of my beliefs."

I'm intolerant of intolerance? Okay.

Correct, which thus makes you intolerant. The idea that total tolerance is good is a malignant and stupid idea.

Social leftists on opinions that are opposed to their view: "That's (insert negative word here)."

It's actually not. But why bother with logic?

Conservatives on college affordability: "Well if you don't like it, don't go."

Haha. Ha. Like that works.

Yeah, it does. The average income of individuals that learn a trade is far higher than the average income of moronic college students that get useless degrees.

That would not be the case of every liberal arts major for up, dropped out, and went to trade school.

Also, "useful majors" aren't exactly doing much better. The real wage increase comes in advanced degrees.

"Well maybe you can work through college."

Sure. That hasn't been possible in 20 years, but I'll try to work 16 hours a day of the minimum wage to cover the costs - but, oh, that only covers tuition at not-even-every-school.

You can pay off your student loan in a substantial amount of time if you work a job while balancing education. It's not that difficult, just that budgeting is important.

"While balancing education".

To do that, you would have to work way too much to balace education.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 4:34:39 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/17/2016 4:29:04 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:19:10 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:18:16 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:15:49 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:14:25 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:10:48 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
"Well maybe you can work through college."

Sure. That hasn't been possible in 20 years, but I'll try to work 16 hours a day of the minimum wage to cover the costs - but, oh, that only covers tuition at not-even-every-school.

invest your spare student loans

That sounds like a fantastically bad way to handle debt.

No it isn't. If you invest spare student loan money right, then you'll end up with extra money in the long run.

It's risky but you could end up with less debt if you invest in the right things.

You just made the argument against yourself.

So you should never take risks?

Probably not so you can pay off large amounts of outstanding debt. Maybe if you have money to lose where you can lose it and not become homeless.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
someloser
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 4:35:16 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
"The problem is Islam!"
As if reading a cryptic book in a vacuum is going to make someone blow themselves up in a mall for no reason.

Surely air strikes are a great way to convince Muqtada al-Sadr that the Quran is bullshjt.

"Weeell the occupation of Korea and Japan turned out fine!"
Could it be that people aren't the same across time and space? Could it be the world isn't flat? Could it be that local politics, ethnicity, and culture matter?
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 4:36:30 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/17/2016 4:28:17 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:24:54 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:20:43 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:19:10 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:18:16 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:15:49 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:14:25 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:10:48 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
"Well maybe you can work through college."

Sure. That hasn't been possible in 20 years, but I'll try to work 16 hours a day of the minimum wage to cover the costs - but, oh, that only covers tuition at not-even-every-school.

invest your spare student loans

That sounds like a fantastically bad way to handle debt.

No it isn't. If you invest spare student loan money right, then you'll end up with extra money in the long run.

It's risky but you could end up with less debt if you invest in the right things.

You just made the argument against yourself.

What argument, that it's risky? It's worth the risk for some you know...

No. That might be the most fantastically stupid thing you can do to cover debt.
It isn't if you end up with less debt by making money out of debt.
And if it doesn't go well?
Your pitch sounds like it had as much thought put into it as an oral presentation by a 10 year old kid with ADD that didn't take his adderall and spent 6 hours playing Call of Duty after getting home.
What the f!ck is your problem?
I'm a sarcastic person that becomes more sarcastic as I hear more stupid arguments from specific people.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
someloser
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 4:36:37 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Rich people are just lucky
Is bad, but not as bad as..

Rich people are paragons of virtue and effort
more commonly known as "the just-world fallacy".
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
someloser
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 4:38:48 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Homeschooling is bad because the kids are all socially awkward!
As if proficiency at playing passive-aggressive office politics with over-medicated sociopaths is something remotely desirable.
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 4:39:07 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/17/2016 4:33:39 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:27:12 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:10:48 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
What are some "arguments" for positions that really piss you off? Here are some of my favorites:

Economic right on minimum wage: "get a decent job of you want more money."

Yeah, there are just so many new great jobs being created!

You can blame Obama on that. If kept up with population growth (which he increased by making it beneficial to pop out children and get more in benefits), then Obama didn't create any jobs to begin with.

I'll blame each of the past 5 or so Presidents.

Most of the blame can be attributed to Jimmy Carter for long term economic meltdown and to Obama for inadequacy in handling the 2008 crisis.


Social left: "It's 20(fill in two digit number)."

Just go fvck yourself.

Conservatives on gun control: "well criminals will just find a way to get them anyway."

So how's the war on drugs going for you? And why do you want to outlaw abortions - or anything, for that matter?

Agreed, which is why we should end these gun control measures (or at least most of them) and end the war on drugs as well.


Alt-right on Muslim immigration: "they're more likely to be terrorists."

So you're going to make them hate us more? That'll be a surefire way to keep us safe from terrorist attacks.

Yeah, cause political hatred is enough to make rational people blow others up.

If they're all rational, then there must be no reason to bar their entry from the country.

Which is why I'm saying that we should ban them, because they aren't rational!!!!


Anyone who supports free trade: "Outsourcing lowers the prices on things in America."

And I like it when people actually have money to buy those things.

Good, which is why you should support free trade. Prices fall when supply rises and competitiveness is exacerbated.

I actually like it when people have the jobs to pay for those prices.

Conservatives on religious freedom: "(anything)"

Lol

Great response to an argument.

They're not even arguments. It's just incoherent rambling that usually would violate the Constitution to actually put into policy.

That's a strawman and you know it. Either way, from what you presented, "lol" is not a good response to "conservatives on religious freedom". That's a broad range, and it's hypocritical for you to pull either strawmen or generalizations considering you are so "individualist" on some of the immigration issues.


(Actual) Racists on racist attitudes: "You're not tolerant of my beliefs."

I'm intolerant of intolerance? Okay.

Correct, which thus makes you intolerant. The idea that total tolerance is good is a malignant and stupid idea.

Social leftists on opinions that are opposed to their view: "That's (insert negative word here)."

It's actually not. But why bother with logic?

Conservatives on college affordability: "Well if you don't like it, don't go."

Haha. Ha. Like that works.

Yeah, it does. The average income of individuals that learn a trade is far higher than the average income of moronic college students that get useless degrees.

That would not be the case of every liberal arts major for up, dropped out, and went to trade school.

Incorrect. I am not talking about individual cases, I am talking about the average earnings of college graduates and trade school graduates.


Also, "useful majors" aren't exactly doing much better. The real wage increase comes in advanced degrees.

Which is usually coming from individuals that already have a job and are now going to college to get an advanced degree to make more money/be promoted.


"Well maybe you can work through college."

Sure. That hasn't been possible in 20 years, but I'll try to work 16 hours a day of the minimum wage to cover the costs - but, oh, that only covers tuition at not-even-every-school.

You can pay off your student loan in a substantial amount of time if you work a job while balancing education. It's not that difficult, just that budgeting is important.

"While balancing education".

To do that, you would have to work way too much to balace education.

How so? Education is about 25% of your day, while sleeping should be 33%. That leaves you with 42% of your day to work, which is more than 8 hours.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
triangle.128k
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 4:40:57 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/17/2016 4:36:30 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:28:17 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:24:54 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:20:43 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:19:10 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:18:16 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:15:49 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:14:25 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:10:48 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
"Well maybe you can work through college."

Sure. That hasn't been possible in 20 years, but I'll try to work 16 hours a day of the minimum wage to cover the costs - but, oh, that only covers tuition at not-even-every-school.

invest your spare student loans

That sounds like a fantastically bad way to handle debt.

No it isn't. If you invest spare student loan money right, then you'll end up with extra money in the long run.

It's risky but you could end up with less debt if you invest in the right things.

You just made the argument against yourself.

What argument, that it's risky? It's worth the risk for some you know...

No. That might be the most fantastically stupid thing you can do to cover debt.
It isn't if you end up with less debt by making money out of debt.
And if it doesn't go well?
Your pitch sounds like it had as much thought put into it as an oral presentation by a 10 year old kid with ADD that didn't take his adderall and spent 6 hours playing Call of Duty after getting home.
What the f!ck is your problem?
I'm a sarcastic person that becomes more sarcastic as I hear more stupid arguments from specific people.

You never even explained what was wrong with investing student loans. Many students have done it and it helped them in the long run.

If you learn a little bit about investing and invest extra student loan money in the right things to invest in, the money will clearly increase and you'll pay off student loans easier.

Elaborate, what is the issue with doing this?
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 4:41:32 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/17/2016 4:34:39 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:29:04 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:19:10 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:18:16 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:15:49 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:14:25 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:10:48 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
"Well maybe you can work through college."

Sure. That hasn't been possible in 20 years, but I'll try to work 16 hours a day of the minimum wage to cover the costs - but, oh, that only covers tuition at not-even-every-school.

invest your spare student loans

That sounds like a fantastically bad way to handle debt.

No it isn't. If you invest spare student loan money right, then you'll end up with extra money in the long run.

It's risky but you could end up with less debt if you invest in the right things.

You just made the argument against yourself.

So you should never take risks?

Probably not so you can pay off large amounts of outstanding debt. Maybe if you have money to lose where you can lose it and not become homeless.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that you aren't too aware of the lack of risk in putting money into savings. The only downside is the potential for a financial meltdown, which will put quite a lot of people in the hole, regardless of student debt holding or not.

Putting savings in an account and waiting for it to gain interest is the same as putting putting a water bucket under a small leak and collecting water. Nothing bad comes from it and the risk is quite low.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 4:43:13 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/17/2016 4:36:30 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:28:17 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:24:54 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:20:43 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:19:10 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:18:16 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:15:49 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:14:25 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:10:48 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
"Well maybe you can work through college."

Sure. That hasn't been possible in 20 years, but I'll try to work 16 hours a day of the minimum wage to cover the costs - but, oh, that only covers tuition at not-even-every-school.

invest your spare student loans

That sounds like a fantastically bad way to handle debt.

No it isn't. If you invest spare student loan money right, then you'll end up with extra money in the long run.

It's risky but you could end up with less debt if you invest in the right things.

You just made the argument against yourself.

What argument, that it's risky? It's worth the risk for some you know...

No. That might be the most fantastically stupid thing you can do to cover debt.
It isn't if you end up with less debt by making money out of debt.
And if it doesn't go well?

What would make it not go well?

Your pitch sounds like it had as much thought put into it as an oral presentation by a 10 year old kid with ADD that didn't take his adderall and spent 6 hours playing Call of Duty after getting home.
What the f!ck is your problem?
I'm a sarcastic person that becomes more sarcastic as I hear more stupid arguments from specific people.

There is a term for that, and it's "arrogance". The issue is that to be arrogant you have to know what you are doing and underestimate all others.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 4:44:32 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/17/2016 4:41:32 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:34:39 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:29:04 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:19:10 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:18:16 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:15:49 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:14:25 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:10:48 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
"Well maybe you can work through college."

Sure. That hasn't been possible in 20 years, but I'll try to work 16 hours a day of the minimum wage to cover the costs - but, oh, that only covers tuition at not-even-every-school.

invest your spare student loans

That sounds like a fantastically bad way to handle debt.

No it isn't. If you invest spare student loan money right, then you'll end up with extra money in the long run.

It's risky but you could end up with less debt if you invest in the right things.

You just made the argument against yourself.

So you should never take risks?

Probably not so you can pay off large amounts of outstanding debt. Maybe if you have money to lose where you can lose it and not become homeless.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that you aren't too aware of the lack of risk in putting money into savings. The only downside is the potential for a financial meltdown, which will put quite a lot of people in the hole, regardless of student debt holding or not.

Putting savings in an account and waiting for it to gain interest is the same as putting putting a water bucket under a small leak and collecting water. Nothing bad comes from it and the risk is quite low.

Well, putting money in savings accounts is standard operating procedure for life. Putting an entire loan in stocks is...not, which is the idea I got from Triangle.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 4:45:41 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
I agree with almost everything on 1harder's list. I just want to add these:

Ignorant baby boomers: "millennials are lazy and entitled [and that of course is why they can't get hired]"

conservative christians: "evolution is just a theory"

most people: "so and so is successful because they worked hard and earned it" -- there is literally no lie more pervasive and preposterous than this ... and it isn't just perpetuated by conservative and libertarian individualists. People have a tendency to play down the role that good fortune and other circumstances have in their achievements -- then they develop all kinds of fantastic delusions about their innate abilities.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 4:46:11 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/17/2016 4:44:32 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:41:32 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:34:39 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:29:04 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:19:10 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:18:16 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:15:49 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:14:25 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/17/2016 4:10:48 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
"Well maybe you can work through college."

Sure. That hasn't been possible in 20 years, but I'll try to work 16 hours a day of the minimum wage to cover the costs - but, oh, that only covers tuition at not-even-every-school.

invest your spare student loans

That sounds like a fantastically bad way to handle debt.

No it isn't. If you invest spare student loan money right, then you'll end up with extra money in the long run.

It's risky but you could end up with less debt if you invest in the right things.

You just made the argument against yourself.

So you should never take risks?

Probably not so you can pay off large amounts of outstanding debt. Maybe if you have money to lose where you can lose it and not become homeless.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that you aren't too aware of the lack of risk in putting money into savings. The only downside is the potential for a financial meltdown, which will put quite a lot of people in the hole, regardless of student debt holding or not.

Putting savings in an account and waiting for it to gain interest is the same as putting putting a water bucket under a small leak and collecting water. Nothing bad comes from it and the risk is quite low.

Well, putting money in savings accounts is standard operating procedure for life. Putting an entire loan in stocks is...not, which is the idea I got from Triangle.

Since when did he say stocks? Putting your savings in an account is an investment, because you put money (that you are not using) into a system that accumulates more over time.

I've looked over all that was said and I don't see a single mention of stocks.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.