Jump to topic:

Would more people vote if popular vote

KendoRe2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 5:48:30 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
mattered? My singular vote in my little town will not decide which candidate gets my state's electoral votes. Why don't we have a popular vote for president? It would make more people feel like they matter

If you are a Democrat in Mississippi, there is no reason to vote. Your state is decided.
KendoRe2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 5:51:06 AM
3rd largest population in the world yet we don't have voting system where individual votes matter.
Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 6:40:49 AM
Your vote doesn't change anything unless it alters the outcome of the election. Popular vote or electoral college, the chances are virtually the same either way: slim to none.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 4:42:57 PM
At 8/17/2016 5:48:30 AM, KendoRe2 wrote:
mattered? My singular vote in my little town will not decide which candidate gets my state's electoral votes. Why don't we have a popular vote for president? It would make more people feel like they matter

If you are a Democrat in Mississippi, there is no reason to vote. Your state is decided.

Would more vote? Perhaps. It is still not a great argument for nations popular voting.
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 4:57:12 PM

Whether more people vote, not sure. The argument for a popular vote presidency is mostly a no-brainer. Campaigns are already national, and it prevents the scenario is that the majority of people in the country who voted, voted for the loser.

I think it probably would drive up the number of people vote, which is never a bad thing.

However, there are some issues with it. Firstly, if there is ever major civil breakdown, such as a widespread war, or massive breakdowns in communication infrastructure unlikely as it may be, localized electoral college is probably better.

At this time, campaigns target swing states, and swingable voters within swing states. I suspect with a popular vote campaigns, I think there would be a much broader range of people you could appeal to. For example, if to win you just need to win the votes of 1m blue collar workers in the industrial mid west, your campaign will likely be very different if you could win the election by winning 3 million minority votes across the country. Whether that would be good or bad, I dunno.
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 5:05:29 PM

Either a popular vote or a proportional electoral college, then yes. Many people don't vote because they think their vote doesn't count