Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Plea bargains undermine the justice

twsurber
Posts: 505
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 11:11:56 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
PROs
Does not give full punishments for offenders
Can put offenders back on the street

CONs
Assures some kind of conviction
Speeds up the process

Fishing for some ideas on the POFO rez.
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 11:38:06 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/4/2011 11:11:56 AM, twsurber wrote:
PROs
Does not give full punishments for offenders
Can put offenders back on the street

CONs
Assures some kind of conviction
Speeds up the process

Fishing for some ideas on the POFO rez.

Did you post the pros and cons backwards?
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
twsurber
Posts: 505
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 1:05:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Actual rez is: Resolved: In the United States, plea bargaining undermines the criminal justice system.

The aff would have to say that plea bargaining is bad because:

The neg would say it is okay because:
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 1:17:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/4/2011 11:11:56 AM, twsurber wrote:
PROs
Does not give full punishments for offenders
Can put offenders back on the street

CONs
Assures some kind of conviction
Speeds up the process:

The reason they use it is that it incentivizes offenders for admitting guilt. It's a gamble.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 1:37:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
You'll want to take a look at this case: http://en.wikipedia.org...

Basically, Karla and Paul (a married couple) kidnapped several young girls---Paul raped them and they killed the girls afterward. During one family get-together, Karla decided to give Paul her sister as a birthday present or something like that, and knocked her own sister out with horse tranquilizers. Unfortunately, her sister ended up dying by accident.

Everyone thought that it was Paul who orchestrated everything, so Karla was given a plea bargain. When the full details came to light, it was found that Karla was equally guilty. Well, he's in a jail "for life" or something, while she got out of jail a few years ago...
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 1:42:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/4/2011 1:37:15 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
You'll want to take a look at this case: http://en.wikipedia.org...

Basically, Karla and Paul (a married couple) kidnapped several young girls---Paul raped them and they killed the girls afterward. During one family get-together, Karla decided to give Paul her sister as a birthday present or something like that, and knocked her own sister out with horse tranquilizers. Unfortunately, her sister ended up dying by accident.

Everyone thought that it was Paul who orchestrated everything, so Karla was given a plea bargain. When the full details came to light, it was found that Karla was equally guilty. Well, he's in a jail "for life" or something, while she got out of jail a few years ago...

So they gave her a plea bargain because they didn't think she was as guilty?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 1:45:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/4/2011 1:42:57 PM, lewis20 wrote:

So they gave her a plea bargain because they didn't think she was as guilty?

Wikipedia---Homolka, however, "portrayed herself as the innocent victim of a murderous monster. [In 1993], she struck a deal with prosecutors (later dubbed the "Deal with the Devil") and pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the deaths in exchange for a 12-year prison sentence. But videotapes of the crimes, found after the plea bargain, showed her to be a more active participant.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 1:46:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/4/2011 1:45:42 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
At 1/4/2011 1:42:57 PM, lewis20 wrote:

So they gave her a plea bargain because they didn't think she was as guilty?

Wikipedia---Homolka, however, "portrayed herself as the innocent victim of a murderous monster. [In 1993], she struck a deal with prosecutors (later dubbed the "Deal with the Devil") and pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the deaths in exchange for a 12-year prison sentence. But videotapes of the crimes, found after the plea bargain, showed her to be a more active participant.

"Homolka", being Karla.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 10:42:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
i hate plea bargains...

but I suppose Con would be able to argue that they're what allow the justice system to work....

what with all the cases... it'd be Extremely costly to try them all.

now... stricter punishments/property seizure/prison labor for the expenditures of the court might be an answer to that...
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2011 9:11:47 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
In situations where a group of people will all be punished appropriately and one will be less so is preferable to only one being punished appropriately.

Of course problems when it comes down to 2 people, like what Tulle posted, and the fact criminals can, y'know, lie, it becomes an iffy procedure.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Sieben
Posts: 2,736
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2011 10:31:55 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Plea bargaining might be cool with the judge, the lawyers, and the defendant. But it isn't okay with me. Since the defendant is being charged on the public's (my) behalf, plea bargaining can't be justified with consensual based arguments.

Unanimous consent is one argument used in favor of PB right?
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...