limiting the scope of the first ame

devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2011 5:50:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
this is a debate topic for my school...

essentially allows prosecution for hate speech..

discuss?
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
originalthought
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2011 6:22:54 PM
I'm for that. I think that people need to remember that tiny part in the "free speech" first amendment line that says "if it causes harm." And our judicial system, as of that, I believe has not been subjective enough. "God Hates F*gs" "Baby Killers" Really? I am not of the opinion that stopping this horrific and socially incompetent (public, may I add) speech is going to start some sort of ball rolling that causes America to degrade into some communist empire or whatever.
--originalthought
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2011 7:56:08 PM
At 1/5/2011 6:22:54 PM, originalthought wrote:
I'm for that. I think that people need to remember that tiny part in the "free speech" first amendment line that says "if it causes harm." And our judicial system, as of that, I believe has not been subjective enough. "God Hates F*gs" "Baby Killers" Really? I am not of the opinion that stopping this horrific and socially incompetent (public, may I add) speech is going to start some sort of ball rolling that causes America to degrade into some communist empire or whatever.

Hmm...

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com...

...well I don't see anything about exceptions for when it causes harm. Looks like you just pulled that one right out of your a$$! Would it be accurate to say you unconditionally support free speech except when people say things that make you feel uncomfortable?
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2011 8:11:51 PM

But where does it end? What information or opinions are "okay" and then "not okay"? What arbitrary standard will someone judge speech on then?

"This guy should be fined because he called me fat and it hurt my feelings!"

"This girl called me a baby killer because I got an abortion! She should go to jail since it caused me emotional distress!"

Gawd, that looks like a fun country to visit. Wait, wasn't this supposed to be the "land of the free"?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2011 8:25:54 PM
At 1/5/2011 5:50:57 PM, devinni01841 wrote:
this is a debate topic for my school...

essentially allows prosecution for hate speech..

discuss?

I'm PRO to a minimal degree. I think people should be allowed to voice their opinion, but have limits for the sake of harassment and intimidation.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2011 8:27:18 PM

you want to stop idiots from embarrassing themselves in public because.....?
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2011 1:37:25 AM
At 1/5/2011 8:27:18 PM, belle wrote:

you want to stop idiots from embarrassing themselves in public because.....?

Because it would really help stop originalthought from embarrassing herself in public with her grasp of the constitution.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.